Non-motoring > How's your memory? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 20

How's your memory? - Crankcase
Reading about everyone's holidays reminds me of one reason I'm not very interested in them, or indeed in "going out" generally - I never remember it. When we do go on trips we can go to places that I've apparently been to before, sometimes on more than one occasion, and I'll have no memory of it whatsoever, or at best it's muddled up with somewhere else.

Mrs C gets irritated. Can't help it though.

I honestly couldn't remember more than a couple of days in any great detail since turning adult - my twenties, thirties and forties are all totally alike. I guess I recall changing jobs, and getting married, just about, but that's about it.

The advantage is I can re-read a book or see a film again within a few weeks and have no idea what's going to happen!

So - do you have a memory like mine - everything is pretty well a dull fog permanently - or do you have crisp and clear memories of everything since the day you were born?
 How's your memory? - Stuartli
What's the question again?

I sometimes forget what I'm going to do almost before I've decided to do it...:-)

Like going on Google and forgetting what I was intending to look up.
 How's your memory? - Ted
My memory for trivia is excellent.
I can tell you what our phone number was in 1963. I still know the old number of Cheshire Police HQ although I haven't needed it since about 1970 when I was in the Manchester Police Information Room for a while.

But, like others, I can get 3 steps up the stairs and forget what I was going for !
I can recall some things I did before the age of 5......going on the upstairs of a Manchester for instance at about 3 yrs. Riding my trike round the garden, the names of locomotives that came past the house regularly.......all trivia.

My brain hurts now ! Going to make a cup of....now what's that stuff called ?
Another tram rolls silently past the back of the house !

Ted
 How's your memory? - Dave_
I've got a similar capacity for recalling all the unimportant stuff... I can remember the numberplate of every car I've owned, and the ones my parents owned, and all of my friends and family. And every lorry and van I've ever driven, which is quite a few.

When i worked in the minicab office I could dial any one of sixty drivers' mobile numbers from memory. I'm hazier on phone numbers these days because it's all done from the phone memory now, no more consciously dialling the digits to make a call.
 How's your memory? - Armel Coussine
>> a memory like mine - everything is pretty well a dull fog permanently - or do you have crisp and clear memories of everything since the day you were born?

Interesting question Crankcase.

The short answer in my case (Crankycase it might be called) is neither. On the one hand I can remember quite complex events from thirty, forty, fifty or sixty years ago in vivid detail, quite often with the actual words spoken. On the other, I can easily go into another room for something and forget what it is I wanted by the time I get there, can't remember the names or birthdays of friends and relations and live my life in a perpetual chaos of omission and procrastination ('The Thief of Time' as my father used to say sententiously having noted my penchant for it).

Drives herself up the wall as well it might, but seldom gets me into real trouble. However in my corporate, suit-wearing, nine-to-five days it caused constant anxiety and occasional embarrassment ('Where is that fool? Come in today has he?'). Swanning through life trying hard to please yourself is more arduous than people might think.
 How's your memory? - madf
Selective is the best reply.
Brilliant for numbers.. if needed.. I can walk round Tesco and quote Asda prices...like for like on items I am interested in.

But for TV trivia, I can't be bothered.

Simon Cowall ? Who's he..

Footballers? Sportsmen and women? Could not give a damn.

But the LTCM crisis was in 1998...

I leave my glasses where I can remember them (because I force myself to) and knwo where I have stored the tool I have not used for 10 years and should sell...
 How's your memory? - Zero
If its forgotten, it wasn't important.
 How's your memory? - Armel Coussine
>> If its forgotten, it wasn't important.

You mean you hope it wasn't. Sometimes it is though.

In my A Level year at school I forgot to turn up for a Spanish O level exam. What I was actually doing was working (illicitly) weeding kale on a nearby farm to earn money to pay my debts to richer schoolmates. Corporal punishment (in this case six on each hand with a purpose-designed heavy, evil rubber cosh) was unusual for someone of my age, and it's a bit humiliating when you have turned 17. Not the badge of honour it seemed in earlier years.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 16:07
 How's your memory? - Dutchie
Often mislay my glasses certain events I never forget others dissapear quickley from my memorie.I bought once a memorie course and forgot where I put it .This is true Iam a sad person.;)
 How's your memory? - movilogo
I write whatever I feel important to me.

This includes my travelogues while I'm on holiday.

When I read the again later (and view the pictures taken during holidays), I can remember each bit of those days.

How's your memory? - Ted

I spent a good half hour, on and off, searching the workshop for two white shelf brackets last week. I knew I had them but no trace whatsoever.

Went in this morningto get some kit for a job out on the road and there they were, on the workbench.........and my bench is mega-tidy !!

Ted
 How's your memory? - Stuartli
That's known as not seeing the wood for the trees...:-)
 How's your memory? - teabelly
Bit of both. Days wash into one another if nothing much happens. If I go somewhere I generally take photos while I am there as it is a good way of remembering. If I didn't I just wouldn't. I used to have a really good memory but now it's awful.

Having a bad memory for some things is useful. Without it there would be a lot less to watch on the idiot lantern!

It doesn't help that now and then I'll dream about specific events, people and places and then it happens like the dream some time later. It can make things very confusing!
 How's your memory? - Crankcase
Ah, now dreams are whole new kettle of fish. I'm guessing, teabelly, you don't dream the lottery winners? Are we in the realms of synchronicity here?

Mrs C says she never dreams, or if she does, at best she can remember a small snippet of some scene. I however, have extremely detailed dreams, which usually have a beginning, middle and end, are usually plausible, and are often interesting enough that I can turn them into story ideas. Some would make good films.

I may not remember being somewhere last week but I can recall dreams I had twenty years ago.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 20:15
 How's your memory? - Dog
C'mon then, own up - who has ever forgotten to put the little paddle in the bread machine (other than me!)

I've even forgotten to add the yeast a few times as well :)

How's your memory? - Roger.
Unless it affects me or mine significantly , I generally expunge events from my mind.
SWMBO says I'm terrible as I can't remember unimportant events from last week.
 How's your memory? - Bromptonaut
The big one for me is forgetting people's names. Not when I meet them but referring to them in conversation. Recently it's been our HR manager. Have to brief on meeetings with her and end up referring to 'the HRBP' 'cos the name (gemma) just won't come to mind.

Oh, and I went off to lead a bike ride the other week only to discover when I got to the start I'd forgotten my cycling shoes. Fourty miles with waxed leather leisure shoes shoved in toe clips was not fun!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 21:00
 How's your memory? - Zero

>> remember a small snippet of some scene. I however, have extremely detailed dreams, which usually
>> have a beginning, middle and end, are usually plausible, and are often interesting enough that
>> I can turn them into story ideas. Some would make good films.

Makes up for lack of holiday experiences I suppose?
 How's your memory? - teabelly
I wish... I'd probably dream about last week's though!
 How's your memory? - Kevin
>I honestly couldn't remember more than a couple of days in any great detail since turning adult..

Cool!

You can hide your own Easter Eggs!
 How's your memory? - Ted

Just done it again.
Something on telly stirred a memory.
I thought I'd see if it was on Youtube.

3 minutes later I hadn't a clue what I'd wanted to look up....and still haven't !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts