Non-motoring > Do we need earplugs? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 18

Do we need earplugs? - Alastairw
I am taking my boys over to the airshow at RAF Waddington at the beginning of July. Hope the weather is OK, as the tickets are all booked and paid for now.

What I was wondering is should I be taking some form of ear defender (at least for the boys) or will be Mk 1 Mod 0 finger in ear be sufficient.

Incidentally, I was inspired to go by a thread about the show in this very forum this time last year.

www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk/
 Do we need earplugs? - Bigtee
Going to this on Sunday www.wickenbyairfield.com/www/

It's in North lincs.

Ear plugs well your better with ear defenders for kids make it fun but dad may have to wear them too.!

A cracking show is waddo can't go this year am working. :-(
 Do we need earplugs? - PhilW
"should I be taking some form of ear defender "

Only if you go there by public transport and there are the usual number of people holding very loud conversations on their mobiles.
Sorry, but fed up of hearing peoples life stories on the train/bus. Why did that woman on the train the other day think I needed to hear all about her "CIA training"?
Have a good day
 Do we need earplugs? - Kevin
MkI finger is usually ok unless they do a surprise Lightening or Buccanear flyover that you're not expecting.

Wouldn't hurt to get some foam earplugs just in case though. Less than £4 for 20 pairs from Amazon or available in most gun shops.
 Do we need earplugs? - Dave_
>> available in most gun shops

And builders merchants, near the goggles and hard hats.

Peer pressure is a remarkable thing, my girls were happy with fingers in ears at a younger age, then they started seeing other kids with (pink) kiddie-sized ear defenders and had to have some. Someone at the show will sell them, thankfully.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 00:31
 Do we need earplugs? - Meldrew
I strongly recommend some sort of hearing protection, even if it is only a set of the cheap foam ear plugs, like big cigarette filters. They can do no harm!
 Do we need earplugs? - Skoda
Ear plugs won't do much I wouldn't think, when you're that close, the noise is secondary, it's the vibrations through your body that startle if you're not expecting it!

Ear defenders would be good I think but are probably a recipe for a long day for a parent I'd think :-)

"do you want an ice cream?"

"what?"

"i said do you want an ice cream?"

"what?"

"take those ear defenders off!"

"no."
 Do we need earplugs? - VxFan
>> "do you want an ice cream?"

I'm pretty sure that a child could hear that, even if it was only whispered. Asking them to go wash their hands though would probably result in "what?"
 Do we need earplugs? - Pat
...in which case the obvious reply would be

''Don't say what, say pardon''

Pat
 Do we need earplugs? - VxFan
What?
 Do we need earplugs? - AnotherJohnH
>>>> available in most gun shops

>> And builders merchants, near the goggles and hard hats.

Boots the chemist also sell own brand:

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Muffle-Wax-Earplugs-5-Pairs-_1129526/
 Do we need earplugs? - Iffy
A child's hearing is said to be more prone to damage from loud noise, so ear plugs would be a wise precaution.

The cheapie ones should be more than sufficient.

Do we need earplugs? - Slidingpillar
That's because a child's hearing is better! Adults have met loud noises before and a little bit of damage has already taken place.

Ear plugs recommended, also at drag races as top fuel cars are also loud.
 Do we need earplugs? - captain chaos
Just keep your mouth open
 Do we need earplugs? - Roger.
Not " do you want?" but "would you like?"
Using "want" invites a "want" in any request: such as "I want an ice cream".
Not la politesse!
>> Not " do you want?" but "would you like?"
>> Using "want" invites a "want" in any request: such as "I want an ice cream".
>> Not la politesse!

In my defence, ye can take the boy oot o' Bellshill, but ye canny take Bellshill oot the boy

:-P
 Do we need earplugs? - Londoner
Bellshill?
Not being from North of the Border, I have to ask if that is one of those "Quaint fishing villages on the Clyde"? (As Billy Connolly calls Partick)
I was going to say a bit more grim than that Londoner, but the joke's gone over my head because googling for that phrase brings back delightful places like Drumchapel. So on second thoughts, no, Bellshill is a positively posh neighbourhood :-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za9jZTDj9k
 Do we need earplugs? - Alastairw
Thanks for all the advice all. I think I will invest in some of the foam earplugs, though it is a job to find the 15 year old's ears under his fashionably long hair.
Latest Forum Posts