Non-motoring > Paypal query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 18

Paypal query - BobbyG
OK noticed that £48.24 had came out my bank account for ebay fees.
Went onto Paypal account and it states that it is Payment To eBay Europe Sarl for ebay sellers fees.

Now I have only sold one item on ebay recently, a bike on the 1 May and paid selling fees for this at the same time.

Raised a query with paypal and got the following reply:

We have completed our investigation of your claim and have determined that this is not an instance of unauthorised account activity. At this time, your claim has been refused. Through careful research, it has been determined that the correct course of action would be to cancel the Pre-approved Payment Agreement from your Profile. The merchant will be notified of this change and will no longer be able to make charges to your account.

If you would like a copy of the documentation that was used in the course of our investigation, please send a letter by post to:

PayPal, Inc.
Attn: Unauthorised Account Access Appeal P.O. Box 45950 Omaha, NE 68145

In your letter, please include your name, the email address on your PayPal account, and the date you filed the Unauthorised Account Use Claim.

Yours sincerely,

Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

When I go into my pre-approved screen, there is only one entry there and that is for Pocket GPS for their speed cameras, £19.99 per annum on 1 Dec ( I have now cancelled this)

I then receive another email saying:

This email confirms that you have cancelled your Payment Agreement with eBay Europe Sarl. No further payments will be made from your PayPal account to this merchant. If you have any further questions about the agreement, or wish to reinstate it, please contact eBay Europe Sarl directly.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Anyone else encountered, this or know what it is - some googling is bringing up all sorts of issues here but not many answers!
 Paypal query - rtj70
I bet it's not PocketGPS world but might be worth asking them too?

Sounds like PayPal has a problem to me. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Not a huge sum but worrying it can happen all the same.
 Paypal query - BobbyG
I sold a bike for £400 on a buy it now (paid cash on collection) after I had to relist it as it did not meet its original reserve.

Sold and had a charge of £10.32 the following day to Ebay Europe SARL.

I am now beginning to think that this amount was the combined listing costs and the £48.24 is somehow or another the costs incurred in selling, which at more than 10% is eye watering commission IMHO !

But why the delay of 1 month before charging?

Grrr
 Paypal query - R.P.
I was talking to my sister earlier on, we've both come to the conclusion that E-Bay has lost its way and become an expensive and hazardous way to do business as a seller.
 Paypal query - Crankcase
Look about right for the fee. Try a ebay fee calculator such as

ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.co.uk/index.php

I stuck in £400 and got a fee owed of £53 odd, so I would think that's it.
 Paypal query - Robin O'Reliant
I have an ebay query too.

I recently made my first sale on ebay. I transferred the balance into my designated bank account and got confirmation that this was in process. I then received the following email -

"Confirm your recently added bank account with PayPal 15 Jun 2011 16:30:20 BST

Dear xxxxx,

Now that you've added your xxx BANK PLC bank account x-xx to PayPal, please complete our confirmation process. We ask you to do this for security reasons, in order to verify that you are the owner of this bank account.

Once your details are confirmed, you'll be able to make PayPal payments directly from your bank account through direct debit as well as withdraw money from your PayPal account balance to your bank account.

Please confirm your bank account as follows:
We recently deposited two small amounts in your bank account, which we need you to confirm.
In your Account Overview go to the "To Do" box.
Select the "Complete bank setup" link and follow the instructions.

Confirm your bank account to gain verified status.

Once you become Verified, you can send as many PayPal payments as you like. Plus, you'll be able to make unlimited withdrawals from your PayPal account to your bank account.

If you don't remember adding your bank account, let us know straight away. This helps us make sure that no one is accessing your account without you knowing."

This seems a bit strange to me as I've bought stuff using this account on many occasions, is it some sort of scam where I've been hacked?
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 21:29
 Paypal query - Bigtee
No it's the norm you may have done a few transactions but there is a limit i think it's £500.00 once you sell or spend over this they ask you to verify your account, something like 12p and 25p added to your account and you have to tell them the amounts and the day it went in.

The £500.00 i think is total of selling and buying combined.
 Paypal query - Ted

My Paypal account was suspended 3 or 4 years ago with a message asking me to provide proof of name/address in the form of a utility bill and send a copy of a recent bank statement....stuff that !

I don't sell much and I'm not a prolific buyer. I always used one credit card for buying through Paypal so I didn't see that how much I had in my current account was any business of theirs.

I haven't been with Paypal since and it hasn't been a problem. Collected items are paid cash and commercial sellers are ok with a cheque or card details by phone.

Ted
 Paypal query - rtj70
Many years ago, stepson sold a FIAT Panda 4x4 Sisley (see there's a few still left). He made a nice profit after owning it for a bit. And there was a fee to list it. He then sold it for cash... months later ebay were after him for a sellers fee. He ignored it and when I found out there was talk of bailiffs! Sorted easily in the end.

Sounds like ebay not the place some thought it was. I've bought maybe two items on ebay and sold nothing.
 Paypal query - Bigtee
A guy in pub rakes up a bill of about £90.00 in sellers fee's then closes his account and re opens as a new buyer, never paying any of it and still uses the same bank details.

I took it with a pinch of salt till he showed me.
 Paypal query - rtj70
If they had bank details in stepsons case they'd have taken it. I ended up speaking to bailiffs and getting them to back off when I became aware (many months later) and then sorted out ebay.
 Paypal query - Mike Hannon
>>I was talking to my sister earlier on, we've both come to the conclusion that E-Bay has lost its way and become an expensive and hazardous way to do business as a seller. <<

+1. For buyers too, a lot of the time.
I've been looking a lot lately but every potential purchase looks iffy. Does nobody on eBay actually sell their own cherished car any more? Virtually every 'private' ad I have looked at is either a driveway trader or somebody who has bought a particular motor 'because I always wanted one' and is now selling it a couple of months later because of 'a change of plans'.

As for Paypal, I know I've said this many times but we had an internet bank fraud some time ago and the first question the police asked was 'do you use eBay or Paypal?'
 Paypal query - Fenlander
Paypal do have some odd procedures that make you roll your eyes at times but I never see the the negative Ebay experince posted by some here.

I've sold 6 items for a total of £351 over the past 4wks making over double what they'd fetch in the local paper. All paid for quickly and sent or collected with no problems.

In the same period I've bought 9 items amounting to £1400. One item alone I was willing to pay £2000 for and only being able to search/buy on a national basis allowed that brilliant deal. All the small items were posted to me quickly and the £1000+ item I collected from a lovely retired gent with proof he'd bought the thing brand new and looked after it.

I reckon I'm up on these buys/sells to the tune of £1000+ compared with the ways we would have used 20yrs ago to source/dispose of such things. It makes the £50 fees I've paid look good value!
 Paypal query - Pat
Well hello Stranger, I missed you!

I thought you were probably busy moving house though.

Pat
 Paypal query - Mapmaker
I agree with Fenlander.

You can sell things for much better prices than you would ever have managed in the free ads paper/gumtree. Indeed some people make a living by buying on Amazon/gumtree and selling on ebay - and indeed buying on ebay and selling on Amazon. And sellers' fees are extremely cheap. If you buy at Christies/Sothebys then the vendor will receive 50% of what you pay; on eBay it's 90% or more. Owning a High Street shop is yet far more expensive.

Over the last couple of months I reckon I've fairly similar statistics to Fenlander's. My expenditure is 66% of what I was prepared to pay.

Surely nobody would think that £10 was a suitable fee for selling a £400 bike. Think 10% upto a maximum of £40 sellers fees. And it takes a very superstitious mind to think that PocketGPS might magically manage to extract money from Paypal.

J'adore eBay.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 12:26
 Paypal query - madf
I'm with Mapmaker.

Member since 2002. Only 1 bad experience: someone hacked my Paypal Ac and stole £220. As sooon as I was notified of the transfer, I told Paypal and AC was suspended.

Money back in under a week.

Far cheaper than shops and quicker in many cases..

Superb.

£10 to sell a bike? Peanuts.. Anyone who complains does not live on the same world...
 Paypal query - Fenlander
>>>Well hello Stranger, I missed you!

You really sure you mean that??

Yep possible move has a great deal to do with being missing here... I did look in the other day and see at leat Zero had the decency to mention I'd gone somewhere.

A house sell and buy in this market is very stressful so I really don't want to tempt fate by even hinting what's happening and I have no spare brain space for forum stuff while we live & breath bedroom sizes and all that stuff.

Hopefully will be able to announce by the end of the summer I'm an ex-Fenlander. No negative for the Fens in that... just it will mean the move we wanted will have happened. Not going that far anyway. If the Fens ever flood we will be on the new beach!

Amusingly when we viewed a possible new place with our 13yr old the other day (neither of our kids has moved since they were born) she said quite seriously it's really nice can we do a buy-it-now.

Ebay really has got into society!
 Paypal query - Cliff Pope
>> >>> it's
>> really nice can we do a buy-it-now.
>>
>
>>

That's what I thought when I was a cash buyer years ago. But it still took 3 months for solicitors to do whatever solicitors do.

Welcome back by the way. Good luck with your new home! Are you drained now? :)
 Paypal query - Zero
Death, Divorce and Moving house are the most stressful things on earth. The English buying and selling process conspires to make the most of that stress, surely designed by the devil himself., who in his former life must have been an estate agent.
Latest Forum Posts