Non-motoring > pH of water. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 60

pH of water. - Dog
So ... my bore hole water has a pH level of 6 which is classed as acidic and is respnsible for the copper blue stains on my bathroom sink,

I am going to have a filter medium installed to treat the whole house and it crossed my mind that my water will then be the equivalent to water from say Dorset to Kent, i.e. it achieves it neutral to alkaline pH by passing through Limestone (are you still with me!)

Anyway, I happen to know that although alkaline water may be good for the plumbing, acidic water is better for killing bacteria and combating the ole Cholesterol etc.

What I would really be interested to know are the figures for CHD etc. for the West Country acidic water area compared to say the South East alkaline water area.

Does anyone know of any such sites I can check out?

(girls, don't ya just wish y'all was married to someone like me!!)

Eh, wrong section ;}

not any more - kick -------> weeeeee
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:07
 pH of water. - Zero
I assume the acidic water is stripping the contents of your copper, and worse, lead, pipes into your drinking water?

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 12:58
 pH of water. - Dog
>>I assume the acidic water is stripping the contents of your copper, and worse, lead, pipes into your drinking water?<<

That's right Z, but no lead I'm pleased to say, my main concern (not worry) is that copper can build up over the years in organs such as the Brain & Liver.

pH of water. - Zero
My Area

central.veoliawater.co.uk/docs/water-quality-report-2010.pdf
 pH of water. - Focusless
>> My Area
>>
>> central.veoliawater.co.uk/docs/water-quality-report-2010.pdf

'Veolia'? What sort of a name for a utility company is that??

I bet your water is soft.
 pH of water. - Zero
Its classed as Hard. Not very Hard, just Hard.
 pH of water. - Runfer D'Hills
What like Vinny Jones or more Sean Bean?
 pH of water. - Zero
Sean bean is a Sheffield wuss.

It classed more as between Vinny Jones and Ray Winstone.
 pH of water. - Runfer D'Hills
Taken from a news article yesterday....

TV and film hard man Sean Bean has proved his tough-guy reputation isn't just an act after getting stabbed by his girlfriend's ex outside a pub.

The 52-year-old was having a crafty fag with 22-year-old blonde April Summers (if that is her real name) outside a swanky boozer in London's Belsize Park when her ex saw them and caused a scene.

Sean is reported to have given the fella an earful, causing him to return later and attack him as he had another smoke by himself.

He was stabbed in the arm with a broken glass a punched in the face - but shrugged off his injuries and refused to go to hospital.

Instead he was treated with the pub's first aid kit and just ordered more drinks.

Sean's daughter Mollie was reported to have told The Sun: "He is doing fine. We don't know if there will be any lasting injury."

And a police source was quoted as saying: "Police were called but the alleged victim didn't want to make a complaint. No further action was taken."

I mean hard-ish anyway?
 pH of water. - Zero
Winstone was also a fan of boxing. Known to his friends as Winnie, at home he was called Little Sugs (his father already being known as Sugar – after Sugar Ray Robinson). At the age of 12, Winstone joined the famous Repton Amateur Boxing Club and, over the next 10 years, won 80 out of 88 bouts. At welterweight, he was London schoolboy champion on three occasions, fighting twice for England. The experience gave him a perspective on his later career: "If you can get in a ring with 2,000 people watching and be smacked around by another guy, then walking onstage isn't hard."

Nah - That's Hard-ish.

Jones has had several brushes with the law. He was convicted in June 1998 of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage against a neighbour in November 1997.[30] In December 2003, Jones was convicted of air rage offences committed on a flight the previous May. Following his conviction, Bacardi withdrew the ads in which Jones appeared. In December 2008 he was treated for injuries and arrested after a bar fight at Wiley's Tavern in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The fight is alleged to have been started over Jones attempting to join a game of pool with patrons Juan Barrera and Jesse Bickett. Jones was alleged to have dealt a headbutt to Barrera, while Bickett allegedly struck Jones with a beer glass. Jones was charged with misdemeanour assault which could have landed him in jail for one year if he had been convicted.[31] Jones was found not guilty after a two-day trial on 15 May 2009.

Jones is a vocal supporter of the British Conservative Party and has suggested standing as an MP

Jones is just a nutta
 pH of water. - Bromptonaut
Anglian Daventry area:

waterquality.anglianwater.com/report.aspx (postcode NN7)

Suggests it's mildly alkline and hard but not excessively so.
 pH of water. - Cliff Pope
We had our well water tested a few years ago, and it too came out as slightly acidic.

6 is within the range that is safe for consumption, but we were warned that it could eventually cause copper piping to corrode and leak. Nothing has happened in 25 years though.
No dissoved metals or other nasties were found in the water.

I suppose the easiest way of neutralising it might be to drop a lump of limestone into the well.
 pH of water. - Dog
Thanks for all your replies - I'm taking it 'all on board' :)
 pH of water. - Dog
I suppose the easiest way of neutralising it might be to drop a lump of limestone into the well

This is the critter I'm having installed Cliff (scroll down to water treatment) - same as your idea :)

www.amospumps.com/watertreatment.htm
 pH of water. - Dog
>>My Area central.veoliawater.co.uk/docs/water-quality-report-2010.pdf<<

Ah! - interesting to note that their minimum standard fo pH is 6.5
 pH of water. - WillDeBeest
And a police source was quoted as saying...

The BBC keeps using this construction. It looks all right in print but it sounds ridiculous.
 pH of water. - Dog
This is interesting (to me!) ... I know he's trying to flog something, but I see that 'hard' water can be as troublesome to heating systems & domestic appliances as can 'soft' water, but in a different way ~
eddy.uk.com/hard-water-regions.htm

I remember my brothers kettle being completely furred up (Kent) whereas down here in Cornwall my kettle is as clean as the day I bought it.

In the final analysis, I reckon a neutral pH is the way to go, ideally.
 pH of water. - Mike Hannon
Veolia empties our dustbins. Isn't globalisation wonderful?
 pH of water. - Zero
>> Veolia empties our dustbins. Isn't globalisation wonderful?

As long as its not into our reservoir, its not a problem.
 pH of water. - NortonES2
I was surprised to find that piped water in Buxton (not the water gushing from the well in the Crescent) is soft, and pH 7.2 to 7.8. Surface reservoirs apparently: no doubt the aquifer (right word?) water has nasties as well as radon.
 pH of water. - AnotherJohnH
Our local company web site:

www.stwater.co.uk/server.php?show=nav.5851

has all kinds of interesting fact sheet .pdf's

Birmingham and hereabouts gets the softest stuff possible from a valley in Wales (Elan, AFAIR)
 pH of water. - Dog
>>Our local company web site: www.stwater.co.uk/server.php?show=nav.5851<<

Thanks for that John, I'll check it out later, I found Z's water site very informative.

pH of water. - Dog
>>was surprised to find that piped water in Buxton (not the water gushing from the well in the Crescent) is soft, and pH 7.2 to 7.8 <<

That's fairly neutral Norton ~ www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

Radon is normally found in Granite areas, so Derbyshire could be like Cornwall?

I'd be interested in finding out the pH level of Buxton bottled water, I shall buy some this weekend and check it out.
 pH of water. - AnotherJohnH
>> I'd be interested in finding out the pH level of Buxton bottled water,
>> I shall buy some this weekend and check it out.

I suspect the bottled stuff will have been interfered with, and not be quite the same as the tap water up there.

Certainly if it's fizzy it will be wrong.
 pH of water. - Dog
>>I suspect the bottled stuff will have been interfered with, and not be quite the same as the tap water up there<<

Interesting, I'd have thought it would have been the other way around.

pH of water. - NortonES2
On the site, it say pH is 7.2 "at the source". May be true of the still bottled version, but the carbonated is likely to be lower in pH. But, pretty neutral. As for the source, it's suspected there is a granite basolyth down below. The water issues at a constant temp 27.5C. I need to look further into the heat source...
 pH of water. - Dog
>>The water issues at a constant temp 27.5C. I need to look further into the heat source...<<

The Buxton water site says their water comes up through 1500 mtrs of bedrock (almost a mile) so that may explain it?
 pH of water. - NortonES2
I expect so. Water at that depth will tend to get warm I believe. Bit of a pain to drill down that far to heat the Norton abode:)
 pH of water. - Dog
<>

Ah, but - people do though, even my neighbs are going in for a ground source heat pump,

When we lived in Tenerife, we used to be able to drive up to a place in the hills called Villaflor where they had a spring/well thingy and if y'all took a container with thee, y'all could 'fill her up' for nowt,
can you do that up at St Ann's Spring (silly question!!)
 pH of water. - Zero
Dog, you don't live on a semi active volcano on Dartmoor tho do you!
 pH of water. - Dog
Dog, you don't live on a semi active volcano on Dartmoor tho do you!

Eh, www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgkz0COMu4 :)
 pH of water. - corax
>> Ah, but - people do though, even my neighbs are going in for a ground
>> source heat pump,

So what will this pump be linked to Dog? A grid sunk into the ground over a wide area or a very deep bore hole? I've heard that the latter is very expensive to do, for obvious reasons.

pH of water. - Dog
>>So what will this pump be linked to Dog?<<

I don't know corax, they are the people who we bought this place from and they are restoring that old Cottage which I included in my piccies (2 chimneys),

I'll have to ask them the 'ins and outs' when I see them, but you know what it's like - all friendly when they wanna sell you the place, then ya hardly see them after the mone£ has changed hands :)
 pH of water. - R.P.
all friendly when they wanna sell you the place, then ya hardly see them after the mone£ has changed hands :)

I've just come to that phase with my buyer......our seller was here for a brew (or 'panad as its universally known around here) earlier...
 pH of water. - Dog
>>I've just come to that phase with my buyer<<

I was actually feeling a bit guilty about buying this Cottage earlier today, we got it at a good price for starters, the sellers are a field away living in a touring caravan while they restore a c400 year old Cottage, neither of them are getting any younger, she's recovering from a broken leg, he's recovering from septicemia, the weather is, well - Cornish :(

Silly really I suppose, but there ya go.
 pH of water. - R.P.
I know Dog. Sounds as if they're in a pickle. You just bought the place not the baggage !
 pH of water. - corax
>> I was actually feeling a bit guilty about buying this Cottage earlier today

You could always put them up in the spare room until the weather improves.

:)
 pH of water. - Dog
>>You could always put them up in the spare room until the weather improves<<

Well me ole son, I sees im this morning didn't I, and he seemed appy enough, when their place is completed (and extended) it will be some place alright, all on it's lonesome ownsome with umpteen acres of land for their ponies.

I said to him, "ere!!, this blimming saucy heat source pump you've gorn in for, what sort is it"?

He said he hasn't got a heat source pump, well - what was that ground source van that was up ere a few weeks a'back then?

Eh, that was an Aqua-Source van - they fitted my skeptic tank :-D

pH of water. - NortonES2
Yep. You can tell the caravanners/trailer folk - multiple 5 L ex-oil drums, in an orderly but malodorous queue:) Haven't seen a 200 L industrial carboy yet, but give it time.
 pH of water. - Dog
>>Yep. You can tell the caravanners/trailer folk<<

How amazing! I'd be up/down there every week.
 pH of water. - Cliff Pope
>> >>My Area central.veoliawater.co.uk/docs/water-quality-report-2010.pdf<<
>>
>> Ah! - interesting to note that their minimum standard fo pH is 6.5
>>

it is difficult to take the name Veolia seriously. It sounds like a handcream or a trade union, or perhaps a feminine complaint.
Or as the Queen might say, "Is Veolia still in the Commonwealth?"
 pH of water. - Zero

>> it is difficult to take the name Veolia seriously. It sounds like a handcream or
>> a trade union, or perhaps a feminine complaint.
>> Or as the Queen might say, "Is Veolia still in the Commonwealth?"

Believe me, they send serious looking bills!
 pH of water. - Dog
>>Believe me, they send serious looking bills!<<

Yeah, and don't they all :(
 pH of water. - Phil I
Down in Zummerzet an enquiry to Wessex Water will produce just a page of apology for not being able to give any information about quality or hardness. I just emailed them to enquire why. Birmingham water was indeed soft and came from Elan Valley by pipeline which comes to the surface at river crossings on its way to the reservoirs. V.impressive victorian constructions. When I lived within the city boundaries it was good drinking quality. We moved to a village in N. Warwickshire in 1962 and to our horror found the local supply was not from the Welsh source but from local strata - horrible taste and hard as bullets.:-((

Happy Motoring Phil I
 pH of water. - R.P.
Seems Boris (the pillock not the spider) has had the bright idea of exporting water from Wales to the South East and was pontificating about it on the BBC today. Maybe water is the new oil...
 pH of water. - Dog
>>Maybe water is the new oil...<<

Wars will be fought over water in the near future PU, like todays oil wars.
 pH of water. - R.P.
You're right Dog - Whoever thought that there would be weather envy between the Southeast ! Rained steadily through May here. Considering my roof for Solar Panels, the garden for bore holes for heat and water......Could even grow our own if I worked out which end of a spade was the operational one...!
 pH of water. - Dog
Yeah, luvly rain - one of Cornwalls assets :(
 pH of water. - Zero
The southeast, and the east have always been the drier parts of the UK, given that most moist air is from westerlies, and it has to climb those hillocks in Wales, its no wonder there is none left for the rest of us.

Everyone poo poos the idea of transporting water around, but it will come. It will have to. Given that most rivers in England flow west to east it aint hard.
 pH of water. - Dog
Try putting your post code in the box on the RH side Phil l ~

ww.wessexwater.co.uk/water-and-sewerage/threecol.aspx?id=584&linkidentifier=id&itemid=584
 pH of water. - Phil I
Did that Canine person . Try ba11 2ee and see what you get...

Phil I
 pH of water. - Dog
>>Try ba11 2ee and see what you get...<<

Say n'more ... how weird, I wouldn't be happy about that.

pH of water. - Phil I
Yes indeedy: I don't expect a reply tonight so will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Happy Motoring Phil I
 pH of water. - Phil I
and lo & behold came this info just before lunch today.

The information that you require is as follows:

Supply zone: Frome

pH pH
Alkalinity mg/l CaCO3
mg/l HOC3
Calcium mg/l Ca
Magnesium mg/l Mg
mg/l CaCO3
Total Hardness Clark° (UK)
French°
German°

. What do you think D??

pH of water. - Dog
>>. What do you think D??<<

Well, the pH is almost neutral, the Calcium is good for bones, the Magnesium is good for the heart / nervous system,

Bottle it, and have a word with my sweet Lord (Sugar)

:)

pH of water. - Dog
>>What do you think D??<<

Of course, there is more to water from any area than just it's Ph, Mg, and Ca,

If you check out Mr Z's water Co (Wed 13.03pm) you'll get an idea what Eau de Tap is all about.

pH of water. - Phil I
You could also try the same postcode in google street view and see a nice picture of a Nissan QX on the pavement waiting for the google camera car to go by!!!

Phil I
 pH of water. - R.P.
Everyone will be doing that now Phil !
 pH of water. - Dog
Silver/Grey :)
 pH of water. - Dog
So ... I tested the pH level of Buxton, Evian, Volvic, and Highland Spring,

They are all roughly neutral to alkaline with a pH of about 7

The most acidic with a pH of 6 (ish) was Volvic, the fact that it travels through 6 layers of volcanic rock would presumably account for that.

These are all mineral waters btw, with the exception of Highland Spring, which is spring water.

The highest mineral content of the waters is found in Evian (surprise, surprise) followed by Buxton (Ca & Mg)

The other thing I've found is that anyone with copper blue staining to their sinks and baths (like me) could try simply reducing the hot water temp at their boiler, and that will obviously reduce the amount of copper corrosion as well.

And finally ... The pH of water is important to our brewing industry i.e. Dublin has hard water well suited to making stout, such as Guinness; while Pilzen has soft water well suited to making pale lager, such as Pilsner Urquell.
The waters of Burton in England contain gypsum, which benefits making pale ale to such a degree that brewers of pale ales will add gypsum to the local water in a process known as Burtonisation.

There, don't y'all feel better for knowing that :}
 pH of water. - Dog
>> anyone with copper blue staining to their sinks and baths (like me) could try simply reducing the hot water temp at their boiler<<

To below 60C.
Latest Forum Posts