Non-motoring > eBay issue, no payment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 12

eBay issue, no payment - Hard Cheese

I sold something on eBay a week ago, Paypal only, collection only.

The buyer did not pay by Paypal and said that he wanted to pay cash upon collection though advised that he was away for the weekend.

The buyer is London based so it would be a 250 mile round trip for them, I was in Hants yesterday and offered to meet them however I heard nothing from them so last night left a message to say that I would relist the item today.

The buyer has called this morning to say that they do want to complete the purchase so I have said that I need immediate payment.

What would you do?

eBay issue, no payment - Stuu
If terms are stated in the listing and they fail to meet those terms, ditch them.

I had one lot deny that Id sent them any message giving details of the sale. They also denied any further messages asking if they would like to proceed with the purchase.
Strange then that when I opened a dispute with them, suddenly all messages were appearing. I relisted it and made 3 times as much too.

The guy who bought my old Daewoo changed the collection day about twice a day for over a week.
When he went over my stated collection period, I told him it would be relisted if it was not collected by a certain time on a certain day. Funny enough he suddenly found he could manage it and was there within 24 hours.

My advice would be give them a firm date by which to complete and if they dont meet the terms, relist it, some people will draw it out a long time if you keep giving in.
 eBay issue, no payment - Mapmaker
NEVER accept paypal for items that are collection only.

Tell him that provided he turns up before the listing ends you will cancel your new listing, otherwise you will find a new buyer. N.B. Don't put any of this into the new listing, you will just upset buyers.
 eBay issue, no payment - madf
Agree. Collection = NO Paypal.

Otherwise buyer claims goods not received etc, gets refund from Paypal... long hassle...
 eBay issue, no payment - Bigtee
For the pleasure of using pay pal they will charge YOU!

So take the cash on collection and if you get offered cash again and the buyer wants to collect before the auction ends you can end the advert when they pay and you won't land with a final fee.

It's all cash in your pocket it may not be the rules but i do it so do plenty more.
 eBay issue, no payment - Hard Cheese

Sorry, the listing has ended via buy-it-now.

Good point re Paypal and collection though a couple of photos and a signed receipt should do it?.

eBay issue, no payment - Mapmaker
>>
>> Sorry, the listing has ended via buy-it-now.
>>
>> Good point re Paypal and collection though a couple of photos and a signed receipt
>> should do it?.

No. Only an online trackable delivery service will do.
You can give them the invoice from e bay when they collect and still take cash so no pay pal charges or if your unsure take pay pal.

The more you do it the easy it becomes.
 eBay issue, no payment - Roger.
We've just sold an item for £14.99. Paypal commission £0.79. Outrageous, particularly as one MUST offer Paypal, which is, of course, part of eBay.
Double whammy!
 eBay issue, no payment - rtj70
You could always sell the item somewhere other than eBay and thus also avoiding PayPal.

Hardly surprising they want people to use PayPal - eBay paid a lot of money to buy it.
 eBay issue, no payment - Zero
>> We've just sold an item for £14.99. Paypal commission £0.79. Outrageous, particularly as one MUST
>> offer Paypal, which is, of course, part of eBay.

So you think it costs nothing to transfer money? or paypal should do it at a loss?
One item sold at under £30.00 pay pal is fairly cheap but several ones and you have to flog one to pay the bill.
 eBay issue, no payment - rtj70
Nobody is forcing people to accept the eBay and PayPal fees. You are free to sell items at other outlets surely? Do what you did before eBay I say. They are a business and a successful one it seems.

I don't get the problem myself - but I don't sell on eBay. But if/when I did I'd have to accept to fees.
Latest Forum Posts