Non-motoring > Avian drinking companion Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 8

Avian drinking companion - Armel Coussine
s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/Armel_Coussine/

may conceivably get access to some very varied photos of this half-grown carrion crow that was having a drink with us the other evening. The young woman shown with the charming bird perched on her hand found it lying on its back in the road with its feet in the air. A couple of weeks later it is quite tame, and clearly thinks it's human and likes a drink.

It still lives in a cage most of the time but it will soon be let out to join the community. It is said to greatly enjoy live mealworms bought from a bait shop. It's a damn good wind that bows no one any harm I often think. What about the mealworms and their right to life? Eh? Eh?

Even so I quite like that crow.
 Avian drinking companion - Runfer D'Hills
If I can find Carlos I'll send him over to play. I expect they'd get on. Make their own fun sort of thing despite the language barrier. He's no trouble.
I feel my drinking buddy would really appreciate Carlos Humph. You can see that tender little beak needs practice and training.
 Avian drinking companion - Kevin
>Even so I quite like that crow.

We have a load of birds in our garden but two in particular have become quite tame.

A skinny little robin who follows us around but hasn't quite worked up the courage to feed from our hands yet and a male blackbird who allows us to get within about three feet of him and is quite cheeky.

If there's no food out for him (apple, raisins, grapes and cheese) he sits in the garden staring through the kitchen window until we put something out. When he's finished a slice of apple he drags the skin/core into the middle of the lawn to make it obvious. A few weeks ago, when the weather was reasonable and we were sitting outside having a pre-dinner Margarita, he'd come for a snack and then leave flying straight at us, giving a short chirp as he parted our hair.

Yesterday morning was a bit of a surprise though.

I walked into the kitchen to make a cuppa and Blackie flew out of a tree onto the fence and started squawking at me and flicking his tail feathers.

Mrs K. had already given him food so I ignored him.

Five minutes later he was still squawking and hopping up and down the fence so I went outside to see what he was moaning about. As soon as I opened the door he shut up and hopped further up the fence but when I turned round to go back in the house he started again. When I began walking up the garden towards his food a neighbour's cat shot out from under a bush.

Intelligent enough to ask for help I wonder?
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 14 Jun 11 at 00:13
 Avian drinking companion - Cliff Pope
"found it lying on its back in the road with its feet in the air".

Overdone the drink perhaps?

Avian drinking companion - Mike Hannon
For a year or more my mother had a 'pet' crow that appeared from nowhere one day and used to turn up on the kitchen window when she opened it in the morning. It would even drink from a cup.
When my little brother and sister played on the back lawn it used to walk around around or perch and watch them.
>> Overdone the drink perhaps?

CP, you make me ashamed. It simply hadn't occurred to me that this bird was already a hardened boozer before it took up with us. But of course that would explain the ease with which it passes among us, as if it has known people like us all its life.

I am told that when it was found upside down in the road there was an adult bird flapping around trying to get it to stand up. Perhaps the mother was too shickered herself to achieve anything useful. Perhaps its capture was more a sort of taking into care to save it from any more of that inadequate parenting. Anyway it is a cheerful young creature.
 Avian drinking companion - Cliff Pope
"It still lives in a cage most of the time but it will soon be let out to join the community."

Then the old cycle will begin again - binge/rehab/kindness/one or two drinks can't do any harm/binge/gutter again.

:)

(I've taken to using :) more now because I find some of my more tongue in cheek offerings get picked up seriously. Someone from the RSPB will be along soon to point out the dangers of encouraging wild animals to aquire human vices, it's not kindness, they can't digest it, take the bird to a proper sanctuary, etc etc.
Not you of course AC, I recognize you as one of life's diminishing band of deadpan whimsical cynics.
:) )
 Avian drinking companion - Dutchie
True, we used to have a blackbird in the garden eating cat biscuits which we left out for our cat Tom when he was on his walkabouts.Strange.
Latest Forum Posts