Non-motoring > Hope it's nothing I said Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 126

Hope it's nothing I said - Iffy
It would appear a certain legal expert has retired from the other place.

I'd noticed she had not posted since our little spat.

Now all trace of her has been removed from the site's legal forum:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=12

No doubt her supporters over there will blame me for the departure.

But Lucy's a very spunky girl and a little contretemps on the forum wouldn't bother her, so I think there's more to it.

Hope it's nothing I said - car4play
You should know by now iffy it's always your fault.
;-)
 Hope it's nothing I said - Stuu
Well done that lad, its always interesting to see who is standing when the smoke clears.
Thanks to Stu and car4play for those comments - shows the thread is being taken as I hoped it would be - of interest, but not too seriously.

Given the post (above) by the management, can I take it c4p has not signed Lucy as part of the site's upcoming revamp?

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 11:48
>> Given the post (above) by the management, can I take it c4p has not signed
>> Lucy as part of the sites upcoming revamp?

Well there's a thought Iffy. I haven't even officially welcomed you onto the C4P Focus group and you are already proving to be an invaluable asset! ;-)

I don't know much about Lucy Bonham Carter, but I did contact autolaw a little while back about a parking ticket I got and someone there did deal with it very satisfactorily - and at no expense to myself.

This site relies, and will increasingly rely, on knowledgeable motoring folk for its contributions. Even if she isn't a qualified solicitor or whatever, she certainly seems to be quite knowledgeable on legal motoring issues. In my past I have also used a lawyer who is not officially a "solicitor" but I can assure you was many times better than one with the label, so qualifications aren't everything.

...Well there's a thought Iffy. I haven't even officially welcomed you onto the C4P Focus group and you are already proving to be an invaluable asset! ;-)...

Ooo, I got the gig, then.

To be serious, your comments about Lucy and lawyers in general are absolutely spot on.

She does know a lot about legal motoring issues, particularly what happens after a crash regarding insurance.

I would be content to take guidance from her on that, were I ever in the unhappy position to need it.

With 'proper' lawyers, experience, talent and 'nous' counts for at least as much as qualifications.

I'm most able to comment about barristers doing criminal work.

They are all equally qualified, but visit any crown court, and you will see some doing a much better job than others.

To be fair to the bar, I've never seen any barrister who I would call incompetent, it's just that some are more competent than others.

Hope it's nothing I said - Zero
>> ...Well there's a thought Iffy. I haven't even officially welcomed you onto the C4P Focus
>> group and you are already proving to be an invaluable asset! ;-)...
>>
>> Ooo, I got the gig, then.

Yeah, we can always do with a scapegoat. Rather like the guy in Harrods who's job in life was to be sacked in front of a complaining customer, and then back to his office for the next time.
Looks like she has a job elsewhere here (June 10, 2011).

link corrected so it's now clickable
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 19:51
>> Looks like she has a job elsewhere "here" class="post_options">www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/court-rejects-dealers-right-to-repair-fault-and-orders-him-to-pay-2750/52909">here (June 10, 2011).
>>
>>
She'll not be encouraging punters to use their rights under the sale of goods act any more then.
 Hope it's nothing I said - rtj70
:-) Good point. And will she offer advice to both sellers and buyers?

If she's just dealing out free advice though, why can't she do both HJ and this new site I wonder? She's not charging anything for initial advice on the new venture either.
Shes swapped sides, incompatible to bat for both teams I suspect
I didn't make it clear what I was thinking. Apologies. Her firm, AutoLaw offers legal cover for an annual fee for a driver and their family for all cars. But just checked and it's for accident cover only. Ah well there goes that idea.
 Hope it's nothing I said - FocalPoint
"...it's for accident cover only."

So, it says, but also:

• provides expert support via our free "Ask Lucy" legal helpdesk in the event of a motoring offence or motor consumer dispute
yeah - I post so infrequently on here I have forgotten that conventional links don't work. doh!
PAH, now you know what us mortals have to put up with.

Come the revolution, heads will roll.
The hyperlink doesn't seem to work but was it to here:

www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/how-our-car-dealer-club-lawyer-can-help-you/48499
 Hope it's nothing I said - Focusless
>> www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/how-our-car-dealer-club-lawyer-can-help-you/48499

"Along with helping Car Dealer Club members, Bonham Carter provides legal advice for The Daily Telegraph’s Honest John." !
"I haven't even officially welcomed you onto the C4P Focus group and you are already proving to be an invaluable asset! ;-)"

I feel... upset, jealous...

I haven't been welcomed onto the group either. Perhaps I won't be. Presumably I'm not good enough. Face doesn't fit. Wrong deodorant or something. :-(

But I'm consoling myself with the fact that I shan't have to rub shoulders with Iffy.
...But I'm consoling myself with the fact that I shan't have to rub shoulders with Iffy...

Now you've told me that I'm going to refuse to take part in the group unless you're on board.

I can't believe you're so naive, my dear friend!
I got a black ball in the post this morning.
...I can't believe you're so naive, my dear friend!...

The only thing right about the thumbs-up to that post is the colour.

I know, people will kill over jealousy...

I am just very slow at getting back to all who responded. All look very good BTW.
.. so you will have to rub shoulders with Iffy. That's not so bad - he's not wiffy.
"...you will have to rub shoulders with Iffy."

Does that mean...? No, it can't be...

[Breaks down in hysterical sobs.]

Sorry.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:13
Oh good lord, we will be having acceptance speeches next.

" I want to thank my keyboard, I must mention my ISP without whom none of this would have been possible"
I think you may be rushing to conclusions about the source of my emotion.

Funny thing, hysteria...
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:18
 Hope it's nothing I said - MD
>>so qualifications aren't everything.

Oh! but they are, but not necessarily the 'Official' ones.

I made mincemeat of a 'Qualified' Surveyor today. Not only did he offer to return his fee, but then dribbled on about "how much do you want". The Client and I haven't decided yet.

The quietest Mouse eats the most Cheese!!
See was quite abusive to iffy if you ask me. Just took a look. It seems she was always touting for business and HJ probably took a cut. Which is fine as its a business. As it turns out the guy wasn't charged with perverting the course of justice as she seemed to think might happen. She seemed to use scare tactics to get people to email her - that's not on IMO.

She must have had plastic surgery though - heading up a legal team for 15 years and still looking fresh out of university. Although we know she isn't a trained lawyer.

We'll probably never know why she disappeared. Maybe she wasn't bringing in the money HJ expected? But that is speculation on my part.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 11:49
 Hope it's nothing I said - nyx2k
it may be that hj realised she had made herself look ridiculous and her position was untenable.
that was deliberately scaremongering and she deserves to lose her position.
we could always post over there and see if hj reveals his decision making
...we could always post over there and see if hj reveals his decision making...

I thought about that, a simple "Where's Lucy?" is all that's required.

But 'ifithelps' was my first ever forum account, so it would be a shame to lose it. :)

Hope it's nothing I said - Lygonos
>> We'll probably never know why she disappeared. Maybe she wasn't bringing in the money HJ expected? But maybe that is libel on my part.

:-)
 Hope it's nothing I said - Bromptonaut
I'd guess it was a commercial issue or about personalities.
>> See was quite abusive to iffy if you ask me. Just took a look.

More like defensive behaviour IMHO

>> She must have had plastic surgery though - heading up a legal team for 15
>> years and still looking fresh out of university.

You're just jealous ;-)
i cant help myself so im going to start a thread called "i love lucy"
done it but it wont be up for long i bet.
...i cant help myself so im going to start a thread called "i love lucy"...

It might be a short one.

My speculation was just that - HJ might not have got anything from it apart from more visitors. Don't know. And we may never know why she left. Either she didn't have the time, HJ had new ideas, etc.

I notice she's updated her LinkedIn entry to say she was on HJ from 2009 - June 2011.
But she joined in August 2010... so that's a little lie then ;-)
I suspect Lucy has a far better reason for leaving than a brief spat with an internet pipsqueak.

Something long the lines of money would be a good starting point.
I would think money entered into it somewhere and somehow. Although the Ask Lucy section on HJ did get people to call her I guess.

Where she went wrong was repeated saying email me instead of you must seek legal advice and saying they could email her.

Maybe there's going to be a new section called 'Ask Boris' or something :-)
...internet pipsqueak...

An unbiased observer might say:

"Some pip, some squeak."

Hope it's nothing I said - Alanovich
In light of the OP's apparent self satisfaction on this thread, are the mods going to add the letters "ST" to the front of Iffy's handle?

;-)
Deification is a bit strong, and I'm not really into that religious stuff.

Anyway, aren't all saints dead?

Execution and deification would definitely be a bit strong.

Now, if a knighthood was on the cards....

You could call me "Sr'iffy" in the way the apprentices used to call Lord Sugar "Sr'alan".

it appears my thread has gone.Hope it's nothing I said.
just received this...........

Dear backroomer,

Unfortunately we have deemed it necessary to remove your post. Please refer to our backroom policy –

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum-terms/backroom-policy
Last edited by: nyx2k on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:30
>> Unfortunately we have deemed it necessary to remove your post. Please refer to our backroom
>> policy –
>>
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum-terms/backroom-policy

Which rule has been broken?
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:33
...Which rule has been broken?...

Very good question.

Nick's post was a little bit sarcastic, but if they removed every one like that, there would be very few posts left.

...it appears my thread has gone.Hope it's nothing I said...

I fear it was.

Perfectly reasonable question, perhaps it was the way you asked it.

But it was repeated in a rather po-faced manner by another poster.

I know all posters over there are regarded as, er, pipsqueaks, but it's a pity they couldn't at least have given a non-answer, if not a proper one.

Not quite (italics, if I could do them) what I meant.......
>> Not quite (italics, if I could do them) what I meant.......

Like these?

>> Like these?

Blooming show off.

;-)
Iffy, I suspect Alanovic is being far less kind than you imagine, cock-of-the-walk!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:30
 Hope it's nothing I said - Dog
>>Iffy, I suspect Alanovic is being far less kind than you imagine<<

So, it's not a double-bourbon-and-coke then.

:-D
>> Iffy, I suspect Alanovic is being far less kind than you imagine, cock-of-the-walk!

I suspect there's nothing wrong with iffy's imagination :)
...I suspect there's nothing wrong with iffy's imagination :)...

No, there isn't.

But I think it's a pity Focal Point's only contribution to this thread has been a (failed) attempt to turn it sour.

Or perhaps I'm just imagining that.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 13:50
Turn it sour? You cannot be serious!

Or perhaps there's a bit of affront when someone dares to be a bit subversive. You must admit there was just a little self-congratulation in the opening of the thread.

However, no offence was intended on my part. I thought that was what wit was all about.
 Hope it's nothing I said - Dog
>>no offence was intended on my part. I thought that was what wit was all about<<

de acuerdo.
 Hope it's nothing I said - madf
"However, no offence was intended on my part. I thought that was what wit was all about."

Must be a first for a thread on C4P not to have just one post intending offence..

How boring... I find the insults great - the subtle ones are best...although it takes a while to sink in ...
 Hope it's nothing I said - BobbyG
Can I be boring and say I disagree with the court findings in that report?

I can see quite a scam building up, buy a car, take it to my mate to make a "repair" to it and then invoice the original dealer when I can get round to it??
 Hope it's nothing I said - spamcan61
>> Can I be boring and say I disagree with the court findings in that report?
>>
Me too, seems a very odd idea that you can just get the car fixed and bill the supplying dealer. On older cars it would be very easy to run up a bill bigger than the value of the car .
I agree Bobby G.

There's someone else posting on HJ with similar question/tale. A car with 70,000 miles that wasn't even the model they thought they'd bought. Then it goes wrong and needs a new engine costing £5800. They were lucky and got some money towards it.

If the story is true, then they didn't deserve anything after going outside of the warranty miles. Maybe the car did need an engine rebuild and it did have problems. But what do you expect when buying a second hand car with high miles. And to accept that you thought you'd bought a 2.0d 6 speed and got a 1.6d 5 speed as well.
 Hope it's nothing I said - Pat
Do you mean Stiffy Alanovic?

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 17:03
...Do you mean Stiffy Alanovic?...

These days, it would take more than Lucy to give me one of those.
 Hope it's nothing I said - BiggerBadderDave
"These days, it would take more than Lucy to give me one of those."

If you're having erectile disfunctional problems, you need expert help

tinyurl.com/6hj2uso
 Hope it's nothing I said - John H
>> These days, it would take more than Lucy to give me one of those.
>>
>>

That's what happens when you wave it around too much at your BigMac competitions.

Hope it's nothing I said - madf
Even I - at 95 - have still all my faculties.. except.

I cannot remember when I was born..
 Hope it's nothing I said - BobbyG
There is now a brilliant reply to Ben 10 in that other place

pics.livejournal.com/twoflower/pic/00023gph/g6

I can definitely see me making use of that link again!!

[note some may find it offensive, Ben]
Well I wonder how long my reply lasts over there with a link where Lucy BC went. To counter balance that I felt I should at least help someone on a GPS issue. Ying and Yang ;-)
 Hope it's nothing I said - VxFan
>> I can definitely see me making use of that link again!!

Hopefully not here though.

In my day that link would have been deleted long before now. Mind you, a lot more posts would have also been deleted as well if I'd had still been a moderator on there. Avant seems to be the only active mod, but there a lot of things are escaping his radar. Not having a personal pop at you Avant, it's just my observation.

Saddens me to think of the hard work I (and the other mods) put in over there for it to all go to pot. Still, that's what you get when a new broom arrives, sweeps clean and doesn't allow the moderators to make their own judgments any more.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 00:55
...Not having a personal pop at you Avant...

I see the little thread Lucy is now locked.

So that's one deleted, and one strangled.

Such a big issue, so sensitive, such an important topic - they are talking about this in the corridors of power, you know.

There was some stupid, childish and muddle-headed moderating in the last days of the old Back Room.

The more things change over there, the more they stay the same.

>> I see the little thread Lucy is now locked.

By Boris! (Locked for the time being - does that mean it might get unlocked again?)

Seems my observation about Avant being the only active mod was wrong.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 10:30
I feel less than happy that that thread I started is now locked. I was hoping that someone in authority over there would actually make some comment, preferably more than just to confirm that Lucy has departed. However, the abusive responses guaranteed that the thread would be at least locked - possibly deleted - and perhaps someone was grateful for the excuse to do so.

My suspicion about that last point is re-inforced by what Boris says: "Locked for the time being, any new threads will be removed." So no-one is allowed to start another thread on the same topic. Obviously someone is feeling uncomfortable somewhere.
...Obviously someone is feeling uncomfortable somewhere...

Typical BR needless censorship, and a good demonstration of the low regard in which they hold their posters.

Seems to me the management now see the forum part of the site as little more than an inconvenience.

There's no promotion of the Back Room on the HJ homepage, other than than the clickable link at the top.

>> I was hoping that someone in authority over there would actually make some comment,

They seem to drag their heels for ever and a day. Approx a month before I threw in the towel I replied to an email where someone had a complaint against the forum - something I'd done many a time previously, and trusted to do by HJ. I got shot down in a ball of flames by HJs new publisher for doing so. I was basically told it was their duty to respond, not mine, and I should have run what I emailed back through them first. The fact the bloke was waiting for over a week for a reply didn't seem to matter.

Something like the question asked about Lucy's whereabouts; one of us would have asked HJ to pass comment if we'd felt uncomfortable to answer it ourselves.

Have you tried emailing HJ direct and asking him?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:02
I see BoristheSpider (one of the other mods) has locked the thread. Strange how when I was a mod I'd never heard of him and yet the site makes him a moderator.
>> I see BoristheSpider ....

Could be an alias for Sarah. I seem to recall she cast her web everywhere.
No I think Boris was the one working in IT and living in Spain.
>> No I think Boris was the one working in IT and living in Spain.

So who was boris the spider before he became an internet arachnid censor? He didnt just rock up his web there and become a mod?
>> So who was boris the spider before he became an internet arachnid censor

If you looked, he did visit a bit and I think post. But I pointed out to Sarah over there that apart from Avant, the others were basically unknowns. I suppose if you're after 4 mods and have 4 voulunteers... But remember HJ congratulating Oilrag becoming a mod and thanking him for all his technical posts...

When they relaunched the HJ backroom in early 2010 and then shut it down again for ages, I personally think they should have left it to disappear. The ones now directing it have not got much of a clue. And that's not a reference to the mods.

BTW the mods are doing the level of moderation the HJ team have asked them to do. And it seems it is mostly Avant doing it too. I hope he got his case of wine at xmas from Honestjohn.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:01
... But remember HJ congratulating Oilrag becoming a mod and thanking him for all his technical posts...

Yes, I saw that.

I don't think HJ looks in on the Back Room from one month to the next.

But who can blame him?

Charging around in one free new car after another is much more exciting.

And also flying to-from the far east all the time.
>>I personally think they should have left it to disappear.<<

It's this sort of attitude I really don't understand.

Anyone who doesn't like the moderation or the rules do NOT have to use the site, but to constantly pop in there, make antagonistic posts and then have the audacity to complain because they have 'altered' the way things are done just takes the biscuit.

Over the years we've had this occasionally on our forums and it beggars belief that if you object to the way a forum is run, or the way you are treated by the team running it, you just don't go there....simple.

We've had people who never give up from trying to change our rules to suit them.
(who are usually in a minority of one)

It's 18 months ago now, it's in the past, move on and get over it.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:13
I didn't think my posts over there were antagonistic. They weren't intended to be.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:16
I accept that they wasn't intended to be antagonistic FP, from where you're sitting.

Now sit in an HJ Mods seat and take another look at them!

Pat
I'm thinking hard about this, Pat.

From an HJ Mod's point of view, I think I have been tarred with the same brush as another poster (the one who started a thread that was removed), who was certainly being provocative.

Given the context in which I started the thread which has now been locked, I suppose it was tactless.

However, I think it's odd the way someone who was once featured as a big asset to the site has been quietly dropped without even a "thank you to Lucy for all her help".

But there I go again.
I think you're getting my drift:)

Pat
It's a very small storm in an even smaller teacup.

All HJ management had to say was Lucy's moved on to other things.

But they are so witless, they've managed to create a mini-Twitter/superinjunction event.

They made a big thing of her working with HJ and then she disappears. In the old days one of the mods would have emailed HJ to ask him. But now they have to ask Sarah. Or maybe they just aren't meant to ask?
Of course that all they had to say, Its not of Ryan Giggs having sex with his dog proportions is it.

The only people who think its of importance are one or two on here.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 15:39
Pat,

You're forgetting the original HJ backrooms were setup and run by the mods. But then it did change when new staff came in with new ideas and new developers that made the new forum look the way it does. This all goes way back before I was a mod there though. We're talking probably before Dave was a mod too. I know features in the backroom were as a result of the mods suggesting things... and the Khoo systems software we're using now took ideas on as well as his own of course. HJ used to trust the likes of Dave. But HJ does not run Honestjohn anymore.

I do look in on occasion over there but rarely post. There's not much to reply to. For example, a thread PU started in April 2010 about his new bike. Recently had two replies several weeks apart.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 13:22
With respect rtj70, I'm not forgetting any of that at all.

Speaking from my position on our forums now and not from a car4play member....

People and practices move on, change, and evolve.
Sometimes for better sometimes for worse, but no matter how hard you try you will never please everyone.
Forums, in the main, are provided free of charge for members use.
It is their choice to use them or not.
It is our choice to make decisions about running them and the rules we make, that the vast majority of our forum members appreciate.

Bearing grudges seems to result in insmniac postings, rtj *wink*....we get them too:)

Pat

I bear no grudges. But I do think bad decisions have been made by HJ publishers. But their main focus was always (and still is) developing the site as a whole and the backroom was not a top priority. But the BR did help generate revenue because it increased page hits and therefore influenced how much they could sell advertising space for.

I think I might be wrong about Boris being in Spain. That might be one of the other mods that got appointed called WellKnownSid. There is no longer a list saying who is a mod so cannot say he is still a mod or not.

Interestingly though, of the mods I know of that were moderating HJ after it came back (me, Avant, BoristheSpider and WellKnownSid)... before the new site some stats for HJ. In December 2009 the top 100 visitors included: me (9th), WellKnownSid (84th) and Avant (100th). And then in January 2010: me (7th).

Maybe Boris used to call himself something else before he became a mod, e.g. xtype aka AudiA6TDi aka claybar? :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 15:26
>> :-)
>>
>> I bear no grudges. But I do think bad decisions have been made by HJ
>> publishers. But their main focus was always (and still is) developing the site as a
>> whole and the backroom was not a top priority. But the BR did help generate
>> revenue because it increased page hits and therefore influenced how much they could sell advertising
>> space for.

TBH I think the HJ publishers have done a good job.

They have turned a pretty shamateurishness web site into a slick professional money generator. They don't need a back room to generate hits as there is the DT link to HJ, but even so the technical and legal sections generate enough motoring focused hits to get plenty of target audience interested. It hits its market head on.

This place, by comparison, is not at all focused, and appears to be exactly what it is. A holding pen, an active place-marker. Its done well to keep the traffic up and maintain visibility with such lack of focus or direction. That cant continue.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 15:36
Well said Zero. The reason why I said maybe the backroom should have just closed (and maybe reopened in the future) was because it had failed on many fronts. It was launched, taken down, relaunched etc and was a bit embarrassing for them. T rest of the site is very well done and is focussed.

I wonder where this site will go in the future. It cannot be another HJ imitator so what will the unique selling point be. Or indeed maybe what will the point be. Interestingly most on here were consistently top 100 posters on HJ. e.g. Zero in December 2009 was 10th and in January 2010 was 17th.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 15:41
If we continue to turn up, and Steven is prepared to continue hosting it, this site could continue just as it is for years.

They are not very big 'ifs'.

We are still turning up a year or more later.

I don't know the web business, but I've always thought this place breaks even - it brings in very little money, and costs very little to run.

Steven can obviously speak for himself, but I have the impression he is happy enough to run the site provided it doesn't cost him a lot of money, or cause him any major bother.

Were I in his shoes, that's how I would look at it.

It's Stephen.
>> It's Stephen.

Not leaf?
...It's Stephen...

Focal,

Be sure to identify yourself to me at Pat's training day - I don't want to run over the wrong person.

You going to Pats training day Iffy?
...You going to Pats training day Iffy?...

I'm offering free rides in the CC3.

Come early - long queues expected.

Hmmm, a ride on a 45 foot curtain sider, or a fifteen foot curtain top.
It's a secret car4play meet Z, did we forget to tell you?

Pat
Dont worry, my other alter ego is going.
Pat's training day

That's another party spoiled, then...
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 16:32
By the way, I'll be wearing sunglasses and a hat.
Not a very social kind of fellow, are you.
I think you two are forgetting one thing:)

I don't care what you've been in a past life, or what you are now.....

On 30th July, I'm in charge and you will behave!!

Pat

>> On 30th July, I'm in charge and you will behave!!

Remind me again why I declined?
Because you couldn't face being told what to do and what not to do, by a female?

Pat
I'm married, its not an option.
Didn't make any difference to Ryan Giggs, did it?

Pat
I would guess that the hosting costs for this place are about £100 a month. That includes storage costs, traffic, admin.

Advertising revenue is in the region of 1 penny per clickthrough. How many of us "click through"?

I reckon income does not exceed £10 a month.
Sort of correct. It would cost to host it, but we already have a large overcapacity in servers, storage, bandwidth etc. so an extra site like this doesn't really cost anything extra as we already have the expense if you know what I mean.

As for revenue, it's so little there isn't enough to send wine to our faithful mods at Christmas. ;-)
Maybe this year they can get lucky...
In short you can't get anything from advertising on a forum-only website.
Last edited by: car4play on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 17:12
>> This place, by comparison, is not at all focused, and appears to be exactly what
>> it is. A holding pen, an active place-marker. Its done well to keep the traffic
>> up and maintain visibility with such lack of focus or direction. That cant continue.

You are absolutely correct of course. More once I get you all on the FG.
"...once I get you all on the FG."

I thought it was going to be a bit more exclusive than that.
 Hope it's nothing I said - R.P.
You need a focal point to focus on.....! I keep quiet on the HJ front. All been said.
i admit i was stirring it a little bit but the childish side of me couldnt help it. i dont flame or abuse so a little dig isnt too much to ask for on a forum most of us dont use now.

i look in this forum 3 times a day and hj about once a week and when i do look in to hj i wish i hadnt bothered.
but like was said before its only a money making website and i m convinced that hj or his developers arent in the slightest bit interested in the backroomers.

it would be interesting to know what this site costs and income acrued but im sure i'll be told its not my business and they would be right of course
Lucy's new position as 'club lawyer' to Car Dealer magazine could lead her into difficulties.

She has previously sold legal expenses policies to private motorists - Focal Point posted on the other place to say he has one.

What if a legal expenses policyholder gets into a dispute with a Car Dealer club member?

Lucy is an awkward position.

If this happened to a proper lawyer - and it has - the lawyer simply declines to represent one side or the other.

There's no problem with that, the lawyer is a self-employed sub-contractor, and the declined party can brief somebody else.

But Lucy can hardly decline to help either side when they are both in her 'club'.

Yet she obviously cannot represent both sides.

I mentioned the same earlier. But the legal cover from her is mostly for accidents I think. Although Focal Point mentions there's some general cover.

I cannot quite see how one can be selling policies to the general public and then also representing dealers if there is even potential for conflict. Thankfully not our problem.
There may indeed be some conflict between her various "commercial" activities, i.e. between Autolaw and other organisations she is involved with.

Presuming her involvement with the HJ site is/was not purely altruistic, again her other interests may potentially conflict with this.

Looks messy to me and maybe something has occurred.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 15:38
Surely a non-issue.

If a lawyer worked in a small town and two local parties who happened to decided the sue each other, the lawyer would refer on to another lawyer - I don't see how a company who has 2 customers intent on suing each other can't simply do the same - refer/sub-contract one to an independent solicitor.

Of course a 'referral fee' may be due....
...I don't see how a company who has 2 customers intent on suing each other can't simply do the same - refer/sub-contract one to an independent solicitor...

The potential problem is the pre-paid club/insurance policy arrangement.

Both parties - garage and customer - could reasonably expect Lucy to represent them because they both have a pre-existing agreement for her to do so.

As I said earlier, were you a good customer of a firm and you asked them to do something, they would say: "I'm very sorry, but we have already been briefed by the other side, so on this occasion we cannot help."

Lucy may struggle to do that because she is already effectively contracted to both parties.

I would imagine the contractual arrangement is for 'Lucy' (Autolaw) to provide legal advice/service.

I doubt it would give a specific lawyer's name in the contract, so the exact provision os such services allows some discretion.

This allows the avoidance of conflicts of interest.
...I doubt it would give a specific lawyer's name in the contract, so the exact provision os such services allows some discretion...

Quite possibly, and one would like to think the question was addressed by Lucy before she entered into the Car Dealer arrangement.

Purely from a profile point of view, it seems a strange move.

Lucy has worked hard over the years to establish herself as a consumer champion.

She's now thrown a lot of that away.

I hardly think she has thrown anything away by leaving a fairly non important web site. Specially as know one knows the circumstances involved.

really cant believe the efforts you guys are going to try and hype this is up into something its not.
Lucy had established herself quite well on the internet as the motorists' friend.

I've visited a few motoring forums over the last year or two and her name is known, although it's fair to say opinions of her vary widely.

I've given you a thumbs up for that.

I didn't want to, I tried so hard not to, but I had to.

Pat:)
>> maybe something has occurred.

Maybe she fell out with the same person I did, the one who kept interfering all the time.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 18:57
Latest Forum Posts