Non-motoring > Cat passed away this evening :( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 66

Cat passed away this evening :( - RattleandSmoke
In tiers as I write this but my beloved cat Rodney passed away this evening. I hasn't been right and has been in and out of the vets but they could never find what was wrong with him. He had a fit this afternoon and to me it looked like a stroke. I phoned the vets but they said it sounded like a fit and to take him tomorrow morning.

Ever since then his balance was not been right, and my mum was comforting him early this evening when he stopped breathing. We suspect he had a heart attack. He was such a lovely cat, always wanting company and he took up so much of my time.

I am devastated as he was the nicest cat we have ever had, died at just 8 years old. I like to think he in a better place right now.

He died as I was watching James May's Toy Story.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Stuartli
You have my deep sympathy Rattle - I know what you must be going through.

I lost my last two cats - the first was 22 months old and the second eight months old - after they were hit by cars.

After the first cat died, I vowed I would never have another one as I was so upset, but about a year later was persuaded to take on a similar ginger tom.....
 Cat passed away this evening :( - R.P.
Sorry to hear that Rats.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - rtj70
Sad news Rattle. Sorry to hear it. Sounds like he has suffered for a bit and has been well looked after.

Take care.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - MD
Sorry to hear this Rats. It always hurts when losing an animal. I am always devastated when a dog of mine passes on. Time heals my friend.

Regards..................MD
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Robin O'Reliant
You have my deepest sympathy Rattle, and I know exactly what you are going through. One of our dogs died at 9:15 tonight, we are both devastated. We got her 12 years ago when she was just a pup and she is the best dog we have ever had, we had to sit there and watch her slip away knowing the end was coming as she had been getting progressively weaker all weekend.

Just console yourself with the fact that you gave him a happy home and a good life while he was alive.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - MD
>> Just console yourself with the fact that you gave him a happy home and a
>> good life while he was alive.
>>
And get another Ratty when you have mourned. So many acquaintances of mine have lost dogs and they never have another. I know they are not really happy though.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Londoner
Rattle, Robin Regal please accept my sincerest sympathy. I am a big softie and I have lost pets. Its tough, very tough.

A few years ago I read this article and it really stuck in my mind. Ignore the references to American Sport - Peter King is a US sportswriter - and concentrate on the true story of his dog, Woody.

This is what a great relationship with a pet is all about.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/01/21/mmqb/
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Zero
I shall be devastated when fifi goes. Shes 12 this year, hasnt got too many years left.

Cat passed away this evening :( - zippy
Had two brothers, both from kittens. One passed away nearly ten years ago at 14 from cancer, the other in 2008. I was significantly more upset then I expected even though he was over 20 (we got him in July 1987) when my wife and I got our first house.

Thoughts are with you!
 Cat passed away this evening :( - kb
Yes, Rattle, I rarely post on here for one reason or another, but feel prompted to extend sympathy tonight. You'll have seen by the contributions so far this evening, that lots of others get uncommonly upset at the death of a loved fluffy friend. There will be those who get almost as upset at losing a close pet as at hearing of the demise of a two legged acquaintance [depending, of course, how well we got on with them :-) ] Certainly I've bawled my eyes out at the loss of a long owned moggy and it lasted for a good few months I have to say...(and it seems to get worse the older I get)... but, and there's always a but...you'll, hopefully, find another moggs in need of a caring and sensitive place to 'lord over' and if he thinks your daft and soft enough to pander to his every need, whilst at the same time looking, condescendingly down upon you (as, I think almost all cats do), then sure enough your love towards our feline friends will be chanelled towards a well deserving case.

Good wishes.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Alastairw
You have my sympathy ratts. I lost one 18 months ago, but as soon as I could I got a kitten - its good to have someone to come home to.
I would love another cat, but we lost Thomas who was 18 early this year, he just disappeared but with Rodney it has been very upsetting because he was such a human natured cat, he always wanted company and never left us alone. He was always great company when working on computers.

I do want another cat but don't think my mother does. One our cats died in 2003, then in 2005 her father passed away, in 2005 she then lost her brother, then this year the two cats, my grandma isn't in the best of health either so I just don't think she can cope with any more deaths.

I know it sounds very wrong to compare a cats death to a human but they are apart of the family.

Not sure how I can cope without a cat though, been living with them for 20 years of my life. When I do get my own place I will get a cat, but then most landlords won;t allow it.

I keep randomly bursting into tears at the moment, one minute I am ok then next I am not. We are burying him tomorrow afternoon so I think I will cancel my jobs as I will be in no fit state to drive but will see how I feel tomorrow.

Even though I have known he wasn't well it was still a massive shock, the heating is on, I have a t-shirt and two jumpers on yet I am still shivering.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 00:59
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Alanovich
>> I shall be devastated when fifi goes. Shes 12 this year, hasnt got too many
>> years left.

Likewise, my dog is also 12. A Jack Russell, should be good for another 5 years I reckon. How sad. I remember Julian Clary on an episode of Room 101 - he asked to have the short lifespan of dogs to be consigned to the conveyor belt. Best suggestion ever.

I intend to get another dog (mongrel most likely) from a local rescue charity as soon as she passes.

Sorry Rattle, and RR.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 11:47
To Robin Regal......Having just replied to Rattle, it would be uncaring not to extend the same sympathy to you and yours having just lost a loved ol' fella this evening yourselves.

As per Rattle, we all get over it but, on the night, and for a good many nights subsequent, it's a right proper downer. I wish you well.
Last edited by: kb on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 23:23
So wrapped up in this, that I missed that Robin Regal's dog had died tonight :( You have my deepest sympathy as well.

It's not too surprising that you missed the part of Robin's post about his chum. No-one's gonna be troubled by that. Get yourself away to bed with whatever sends you to sleep - be it a boring book or leaving the wireless on Radio Three. Tomorow's a new day and you have to keep yourself up and running. Easy to give advice when you're not feeling desperately rotten...but you need to keep level and on top of things. Pleased do. There's a few here, this evening, with your sadness in mind and maybe just one or two will include you in their prayers. I will.
Last edited by: kb on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 23:43
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Stuartli
>>Having just replied to Rattle, it would be uncaring not to extend the same sympathy to you and yours having just lost a loved ol' fella this evening yourselves.>>

I entirely agree and extend my own sympathy.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 23:33
Now getting a bit angry, I told the vets I think he had a stroke and they said just fobbed me off with it was just a fit. I am not sure if it was a stroke or not, but looking back at his behaviour an hour or so before he passed away it sounds like he has had a series of mini heart attacks.

My dad has the duty of telling the vets tomorrow we shall not be bringing him as he is already dead.
Little they or you could have done either way Rats.
Thats my thoughts, he died being fairly comfortable surrounded by people that dearly loved him, if he was at the vets he probably would have died with strangers.

I will probably watch the latest episode of Richard Hammond's Engineering connections, as it requires concentration it will take my mind of things. Taken some hey fever tablets which will make me very drowsy.

Cat passed away this evening :( - VxFan
Sorry to hear your sad news R&S.

Whenever we've had a cat pass away, we always say that's it, we shan't get another one. Been saying that for the last 5 or 6 cats. The last one we had was a neighbours cat who spent more time with us than him. My neighbour then became ill and died. His dying wish was asking us to look after his cat for him. Something we'd already been doing anyway. 2 years later that cat died, and now we've have adopted a stray (or is that the other way around?)
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Armel Coussine
Sorry to hear about your poor mog Sheikha. But they are short-lived animals especially in towns. When my middle daughter's cat Kevin Keegan got run over back in the early eighties, after a short period of mourning she announced that she wanted what she rather heartlessly called a 'new cat'. The one she got, Mel Gibson, was a soppy timid animal that lived longer than any of our other cats. The more enterprising they are, the more likely they are to meet a sticky end while still sprauncy.

My youngest daughter had a very fine cat, a noble, panther-like all-black beast with a relaxed, friendly character. He was up for anything and ranged far and wide, crossing the main road at night, when the wimpish Mel Gibson hardly left the back garden. We found that fine big cat on the corner under a cardboard box one morning as I took the poor child to school. Recognizing the tail she lifted the box before it occurred to me to stop her, and of course it was the great adventurous Sooty dead as a doornail after tangling with a car on the corner there. She was only about eight. She didn't cry but it must have affected her deeply.

My wife and children always used to make me take these animals to the vet to be castrated. Really unfair and the cats used to blame me too.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Pat
I'm really sorry to hear the news this morning from both Robin Regal and Rattle. I hope you both managed to get some sleep and can start today remembering the good times.
Both animals had loving homes and that's down to you both.

Rattle, it was far better for your cat to die with your Mum comforting him, in his familiar surroundings, than being bundled in a cat box and taken to the vet, which they always fear.

I know so well just how you're both feeling, cat or dog, it makes no difference as they are both your faithful friend and one that will leave a very big empty space in the household.

Pat

We will be burying him this morning so that people can just go to work a bit later, I will cancel my earlier job as I need to do about 20 miles of driving for that because I need to buy a part. My later job is later this afternoon and local so I will still do that.

Must have got about four hours sleep, I went to sleep three times but woke up in less than hour. I still feel like I am in shock as it was so sudden although half expected.

Worried about my mum as she is completely devastated, not seen her like this since my uncle died a few years ago of a heart attack. She spent so much time with the cat over the last few months making sure he was as comfortable as he could be. As some might no he nearly died 18 months ago but seem to make a very good recovery but since my other cat went missing he went down hill. Over the past few weeks he had not been sleeping but the vets didn't seem to be concerned about that.

I don't really want to go into what might have killed him because then the anger kicks than that his death could have been prevented, but even if he could have had a few more months his quality of life would have been very low.

I don't think we will be getting another cat as there is just too many complications at the moment, but when I do move out I will probably get one.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Cliff Pope
Very sorry to hear this Rattle. I know it is a sad moment. But you can take some comfort from his dying presumably peacefully at home, as indeed we would all wish for I think.

We always have about 4 cats, or 5 at present because the oldest one keeps on going, apparently rejuvenated by the kitten that was aquired as his replacement.

Nearly all of ours in the past have been put down, usually by the vet. That is sad, because one always has the feeling that perhaps something could have been done, almost certainly by spending a lot of money.
I used to end their days myself with a shotgun, which is the ultimate kindness if you can bear it. But I can't now, so they have to undergo the indignity of being taken to the vet's, probably for the first and last time in their lives, and then brought back in a towel.

All our cats have been buried in the pet cemetary we inherited from our predecessors, and get little home-made concrete gravestones. There is a certain dignity from an old moss and ivy-clad stone and its fresher fellows, soon also to mellow.

The worst is when an old cat simply disappears, so one never knows what happened to it.

Get another. But if like us you are a kindly cat person, then they will soon be queuing at your door wanting a home.
Thomas disappeared in February this year, 18 years old but I have always thought something nice happened and I some how have accepted he will never come back, but with Thomas it was gradual. I think why we are all so upset is he we had to watch him die during the course of the day.

Most of hours have been put down by the vets too, so in this sense I am very relieved he was spared from that torture.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Skip
My deepest sympathy to you both Robin Regal and Rattle.

Andy
 Cat passed away this evening :( - DP
We were away last week, and the family hound stayed with my parents. During the period between getting home and going to my parents to pick up the dog, we both commented on how the dog's absence was just as noticeable as that of one or both of the kids. Even though we might not interact with him constantly, it feels very strange when he's not about. Dogs, and cats, really do become an integral part of the family.
My deepest sympathies to you both.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Clk Sec
Sorry to hear your news, Rattle, and Robin Regal.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - captain chaos
Sorry to hear of your loss, Rattle and Robin Regal
Deepest sympathies to both of you
Paul
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Bigtee
Re homed my cat was 12 yrs old and a nice pet but life moves on and you will find you have more time and able to get out more as pets are great but tiying.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Mike Hannon
Sorry to hear your news Rats and RR. It's never easy. I once walked smack into a glass door at the vet's after saying goodbye to one of my cats.
They don't live long in this part of the world - if the mad drivers don't get them it's the wildlife, even eagle owls believe it or not, but it doesn't stop us being a feeding station for the feral cats and hoping they start to communicate with us, which they mostly do.
We don't do dogs any more though, because they are a tie and even now we get around a fair bit.
Thanks to everyone for their sympathy.

As a long term dog owner, and even having worked as a dog handler for a spell I should be used to this by now but this one hit harder than any other. What really hit home was when I first saw her (Tara) she was curled up like a ball of fluff in the living room of the people who then owned her. They got her at three months but were not really dog people and gave her to us shortly after. When she died and we lifted her into her bed she lay there curled in exactly the same way as that first day. I don't think anything I've ever seen has choked me up so much, I had to put a blanket over her and go out and light a cigarette.

Even talking about it today I found tears welling up in my eyes.

Daft bogger.
How you coping work wise Robin? I cancelled my morning schedule including the vets but managed to get some sleep in the afternoon so I did a couple of jobs. My last job was just terrible I just wanted to run out and burst into tears. I stalled four times today as well, not stalled for ages.

Just keep thinking what if we did things differently.

>> How you coping work wise Robin?
>>
I had a very busy day, which helped a bit. Some of my customers are dog owners (one with a Labrador on borrowed time because of a tumour in the stomach) so I had a few sympathetic ears during the day.

One thing you come to terms with as a dog or cat owner is that you are going to outlive quite a few of them. Be happy that you provided a caring home for yours and look for another one who will be lucky enough to have you as it's carer (I won't say owner because you can never really own an animal, you have to earn their loyalty).
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Dutchie
I know how it feels lost our Ginger Tom over a year ago now.Lovely big male cat and a good mate.

I used to come home eary morning Tom first to greet me.I know when he died fit and problaby hart I cried.

Still see him now.
His spirit will always be with you :)
You've got to think it like that - I knew the time had come for my little spaniel in 2008 - her spirit visibly went - I really miss her even now. She was a one person dog and only tolerated others. It took time for her replacement to fit in but he has now.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Skoda
Sorry to read this RR & Rattle. Best wishes, Craig
Funny things dogs. The night my first wife died, they (good intentioned relatives/Police) persuaded me to kennel him near to where I was going to be staying that night, the next day (against advice) I went to get him as I needed to have him with me, and there he stayed (holidays apart) - through thick and thin me and him since then. One of the things that worried me in the immediate aftermath was learning to be on my own - then realized that I'd been walking him more or less as before and was actually on my own for a while, this became valuable "alone" time and helped me set myself up for the future. Another one man dog in reality. Hell it's inconvenient at times having to consider his needs but hell I knew that when I got him. Oh and he don't like everyone...!
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Mapmaker
PU>>the next day (against advice)

What utterly rotten advice.

Don't see much of my cat - he tends to turn up in the kitchen for a few minutes most evenings - but he always brightens the day when he appears.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Runfer D'Hills
We had to part company with a dear pet too only this weekend. We had only known Carlos for a fortnight but he'd become a close member of the family in that short time. He shared our holiday apartment and gave us hours of fun with his cheeky little games of hide and seek. His favourite was to pretend to lead me a merry dance when we got back from the beach, me feigning assault on him with the bog brush as he scampered merrily behind a skirting board or under a bed only to peer out seconds later with that impish grin.

Not many families have their own cockroach but Carlos was special. You could shoo him out every night but in the wee small hours he'd be back, skittering around looking for a game of "head the sandal" or "dodge the sweeping brush". What a spirit lifter he was. Quite made our holiday.

Still, he's probably being looked after by someone else now. I hope he brings them as much joy.

We'll get over him in time I imagine.
Probably in your suitcase....as we speak.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Runfer D'Hills
Carlos !!!!....
I have a place reserved for Carlos,

On the sole of my shoe.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Dog
This thread takes me back to when I was 10 years old, I was laying in bed one Sunday morning crying,

My mum asked me if I was missing my dad who had not long died,

No I said - my dog.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - teabelly
Losing a pet is hard. You don't stop missing them being around. Somehow you learn to live with it. I found it helped to go to a rescue place and get another cat or two that needed a good home. You're not replacing the one that has gone but taking your mind off it.

www.cat-world.com.au/ethylene-glycol-poisoning

Seems a potential cause of his demise if he was up until that point totally healthy. There's been a lot of cats lost to anti freeze poisoning. It's nasty stuff and the silly beggars will drink it.
He had been ill for 18 months on and off. Most the time he was very happy and alert but over the last few weeks he started to slowly go down hill.

He had been to the vets a few times but they could never really find a real cause of it. Don't want to think too much of the causes though because it won't bring him back and it just makes me angry.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - bathtub tom
We had a springer, rescue pup, a few weeks before my eldest was born. Both kids learnt to walk by hooking their tiny fingers into the thick fur of her ears. They grew up as three kids.

Children were devastated when their 'sister' died at about fifteen.

It's all part of growing up, sad, but a fact of life.

>>It's all part of growing up, sad, but a fact of life<<

That's right, even Stars and Galaxies are subject to birth and death - all things must pass!

George Harrison (and he passed away)

Cat passed away this evening :( - BobbyG
Well just before Xmas we took ownership of a black lab pup and although I was the one in the family who wasn't as positive about it, I must admit you do start to get close to the family pet.

A game of tug or chase, or even just lying curled up next to you , it does kind of reinforce the "man's best friend" thing.

When we first got him and were speaking to the vet, he spoke about the importance of insurance and referred to a client of his whose dog had a tumour and were now into 4 figures for treatment costs. I remember saying if we ever got near that , it would be the needle for the dog.

As each day passes I now know the chances of that happening are less and less as he becomes part of the family, part of the routine. Yes, on weeks like this where he has learnt how to roll in fox excrement I could quite happily do without him but the reality is he will just grow and grow in everyone's affections.

So to fast forward that to the other end, Rats and Robin, you have my full sympathies of what you are going through. It can't be easy.

I have a neighbour who has had a succession of German Shepherd dogs and when each one died (of old age) they said never again. A few months later they would be showing off their new pup. Even though they are not really fit to look after one now, and being realistic the dog is probably not getting the exercise it should, it is patently obvious that the dog is what they both live for and what keeps them going.
Where we lived 2 properties ago, our neighb had up to 7 dogs at one time!

She used to do PAT dogs ~ www.petsastherapy.org/

They were mostly GSD's and Collies, i.e. long (ish) haired, but they were always immaculately presented

Fortunately she had about 7 acres of land so they got plenty of exercise and did their 'business' there as well.
An uncle of mine had a superb dog. I think the finest epitaph I ever heard.

"damn thing died of a worn out tail"

>> Seems a potential cause of his demise if he was up until that point totally
>> healthy. There's been a lot of cats lost to anti freeze poisoning. It's nasty stuff
>> and the silly beggars will drink it.

And dogs. Trouble is its sweet smelling and tasting.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - neiltoo
>>Trouble is its sweet smelling and tasting

Apparently to humans too, since it was used as a wine additive in Austria some years ago.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - teabelly
You'd think they'd have insisted on some kind of bitter additive to discourage such foolish mammal behaviour.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - neiltoo
It was - ahem - an unofficial additive!
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Fursty Ferret
My cat died in almost exactly the same way. Sympathies.

Sounds harsh but get another pronto. Wouldn't bother with RSPCA, harder to adopt a child than rehome a cat with them. Kitten or other rescue centre.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 09:34
>> Wouldn't bother with RSPCA, harder to adopt a child
>> than rehome a cat with them.
>>

We once got a young cat from a rescue centre, not realising that they were some sort of agency for the RSPCA. The centre owner was fine, but couldn't release the cat until the RSPCA had done a "suitability inspection".

One glance from the inspector was enough to confirm that the little chap would be enrolling at cat paradise. A child inspector on the other hand would have had a fit - cat's walking on kitchen surfaces, sleeping on the table, in the beds, half-eaten mice lying around , etc.
That's funny Cliff ! :-0

I had much the same experience with a Spaniel Rescue person - wanted to come down to look at my gaff....God's sake it's a dog it'll be better fed/treated/exercised than many children !
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Pat
How were they to know you wasn't collecting animals for experimental purposes?

They have to make sure, and quite rightly so.

Pat
 Cat passed away this evening :( - VxFan
>> How were they to know you wasn't collecting animals for experimental purposes?

Hopefully he left the white lab coat at home ;o)
>> How were they to know you wasn't collecting animals for experimental purposes?
>>
>>
>>

The experimental and fur-processing department is in the shed at the back.
 Cat passed away this evening :( - Crankcase
I'm not a cat person, but of course sympathies are extended. Hope it gets better as time goes by.

Mind you, you CAN get a bit obsessive about cats..be brave...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

I need a new kitty please come round an inspect if you want

C/O Huntingdon Life Sciences
A1 Just North of the Brampton Hut.
>> >> cat's walking
>>

I'm usually a stickler for this kind of error, so I'll own up to this intrusive apostrophe now, in the hope that I'll get my sentence cut by half.
Latest Forum Posts