Non-motoring > Cutting wet grass Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Cutting wet grass - BobbyG
Took my boy up to my dads today to cut his grass. Got the strimmer and lawnmower out (Bog standard Flymo compact 350 thingy).

Rain started to come on, then came on heavier and heavier but we decided just to carry on so that the journey wasn't wasted.

Although we had to use a bit more of the rake as the lawnmower struggled to pick up the wet grass, by the time we had finished the grass resembled a putting green!

Seemed to be really much shorter than anytime we had cut it before and it looked totally flat.

I have always been told not to cut wet grass but after today I may change my mind!
 Cutting wet grass - Old Navy
If a Bog standard Flymo compact 350 thingy is an electric mower you are lukcky you didn't fry yourself.
 Cutting wet grass - Stuartli
I have the same model of mower. If anything untoward happened, the mains electronic circuit breaker would kill the power supply (rather than me) instantly as far as I'm aware.

Even a light bulb failing triggers the shutdown on the appropriate circuit.

But I still wouldn't cut the grass in such weather conditions....:-)

Cutting wet grass - ....
>> But I still wouldn't cut the grass in such weather conditions....:-)
>>
What about if you were wearing a pair of welly boots ? (In addition to clothes if BBD is looking in).
 Cutting wet grass - Zero
>> >> But I still wouldn't cut the grass in such weather conditions....:-)
>> >>
>> What about if you were wearing a pair of welly boots ?

Oo no, far too easy to cut your toes off with the mower.
 Cutting wet grass - BiggerBadderDave
"Oo no, far too easy to cut your toes off with the mower."

Impossible with my mower. Big grass box on the back, I'm never closer than a metre and a half to the blades. I cut the grass in flip flops.

>> What about if you were wearing a pair of welly boots ? (In addition to
>> clothes if BBD is looking in).
>>

Depends if you have Swarfega in them. :-)
My house has RCD breakers too, I can think of safer ways of testing them. :-)
 Cutting wet grass - Zero
All this sounds like a Glasgow H&S risk assessment.
 Cutting wet grass - ....
>> All this sounds like a Glasgow H&S risk assessment.
>>
One HUGE assumption there, Glasgow has H&S assessments !?!
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 21:54
 Cutting wet grass - Dave_
The council contractors don't stop cutting the verges when it rains.
>> The council contractors don't stop cutting the verges when it rains.
>>

With mains powered electric mowers?
 Cutting wet grass - Dave_
Well no, but I thought the reasons for not cutting wet grass were that the mower blades would clog, or that clumps of grass would be ripped out of the ground rather than being clipped to a uniform length.

I'd not considered the electricity/water thing :)
 Cutting wet grass - Cliff Pope
Electric mowers are pathetically weak at the best of times. I certainly wouldn't be adding to the risk of overload and burn out by trying to cut wet grass.

I have a conventional petrol rotary mower and although it will cut wet grass, it has to be stopped and de-clogged every 20 yards, or else it stalls anyway.

I also have big rotary mower with a fearsome engine which makes a noise like a tank. That will tackle anything, and nothing clogs it, even wet grass and clumps of weed a few feet high. Driven over rough ground it just slices off the bumpy bits of earth and flings it into the hollows.

Cutting wet grass - madf
The 1973 Hayterette inherited from my dad is great for rough patches and wet grass.. Never had it clog up in use although at year end when I clean it, it's real mess.

But then mowers were crude and simple.. and just kept running and running and running..
Latest Forum Posts