Non-motoring > Manners and behaviour. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 74

Manners and behaviour. - Dutchie
We all went for a nice meal lastnight with the daughter and son in law.

Its a place combined motel restuarant usually peacefull.A group of young women sat a few tables away from us shouting and actinc daft with trowing bits of cake at each other.

Meaby I am getting sensitive in my old age but I like to keep a door open if anybody follows me.Please and thank you a bit of respect for somebody older oh well must be me.:(
 Manners and behaviour. - Ian (Cape Town)
Indeed.
'Please' and 'thank you' costs nowt.
Behaving like a muppet in public - especially from 'young women', just shows that they are pie-key lowlifes.
Sorry your evening was spoilt, Dutchie. Because no matter how much fun YOU had, you'll always remember the trash throwing cakes.

Manners and behaviour. - Iffy
I bet they were republicans, too.

Or they would be if they knew what it meant.

Manners and behaviour. - Herr Sandwichmann
Whereas the Royals turn up to parties as Nazis. Classy.
...Whereas the Royals turn up to parties as Nazis. Classy...

It was one royal and one party.

At least Obergruppenfuhrer Wills - or whichever one it was - can count.

Manners and behaviour. - Mapmaker
>> Whereas the Royals turn up to parties as Nazis. Classy.
>>

Private party. Not affecting others.
 Manners and behaviour. - ....
>> Indeed.
>> 'Please' and 'thank you' costs nowt.
>>
True, but how many parents these days enforce it ? How many parents actually set the example ?

Some things you have to show by example. The kids are not seeing it so know no better. Sad state of affairs but that's where we are...
 Manners and behaviour. - Ian (Cape Town)
>>>> True, but how many parents these days enforce it ? How many parents actually set the example ?
>>

Send your kids MY way!
No one said it was easy Ian.

I've got a 5 year old girl going on 15 and a 3 year old boy who wants to get away with murder but is hilarious with it. He had a group of 6 teenage girls dancing in the town square yesterday how I wish I'd had my camera with me...

A 3 year old doing a Teletubbies routine with a bunch of teenagers thinking he's cute.

I was on the floor laughing.
Just to add, the 17 year old passed his driving test on Monday.

No amount of please's and thank you's will get me to stump up £14k to insure the tank for him.
We have three childeren all adults no angels ,Jan the middle son lives in New Zealand.Abit of a wild boy when he was young I took him to boxing he didn't like it after a few battles but he ended up being a good rugby player.Oldest son Andrew more academic minded loves reading got involved in council work and he is very acute what is going on in the world.Lydia the nurse lovely girl keeps a stern check on me if i forget things senality.;)

Anyway to much info on the net,never mind we have nothing to hide.And not forgetting my better halve who runs the show.
 Manners and behaviour. - Old Navy
If our kids asked for anything without a "Please" involved it was not provided, they soon learn. It has been passed on to the grandbrats too. Couresy and respect (in both directions) costs nothing. I blame the parents!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 20:24
>> Cour(t)esy and respect (in both directions) costs nothing. I blame the parents!
>>
Totally agree with you...
 Manners and behaviour. - Stuu
Theres a lack of respect all round, but with parents terrified of scarring their children by actually telling them off and dishing out discipline, is it any wonder.

Having watched my ex negociating with my son, offering him a deal without simply asking ( and expecting ) him to do as he is told, I know she is already going down the path of no return.
He isnt even 5 yet and he is calling the shots, its fab isnt it how empowered kids are these days that a 5 year old gets to call terms on their mother.
My late father was always away at sea and in our case my brother and sister and myself didn't cross my mother often.She was a powerfull woman and a good belt hurt.

When the old man got home the role reversed but i give hime his due he didn't touch us.I remember once I told him to get back to sea and he chased me he was a big man and I scaperd as fast as I my legs could take me.My brother and I attended the schippers school in Dordrecht for two years a kind of boarding school.Disipline was the norm and a caning happened regulary me being a temperamental so and so :)
 Manners and behaviour. - Badwolf
This is a subject very dear to my heart. I was brought up to always say 'please' and 'thank you'. It costs nothing, and is so simple to do.

Before my first marriage ended, I always expected my kids to say 'please' if they asked for something. If they asked for something and failed to say 'please', I would always say 'pardon?' and give them another chance. If they failed to say 'please' the next time, then they would not get what they wanted.

Now, however, my ex-wife doesn't seem to give two hoots about courtesy. My kids don't seem to appreciate gifts, and have to be prompted to say 'please' and 'thank you'. It really upsets me, but there is precious little I can do.
 Manners and behaviour. - devonite
a clip "aback `t` lug" saves a thousand arguments!
 Manners and behaviour. - MD
Manners opens many doors in life, but on the subject of doors when we left the Home Counties and moved to North Devon 20+ years ago I was astounded at the general lack of manners of 90% of the adults. They didn't and still don't have manners. I became sick to death of door holding to receive not even a smile. The women are far worse than the men.
 Manners and behaviour. - Clk Sec
>>I became sick to death of door holding to receive not even a smile. The women are far worse than the men.

On the infrequent occasions that this happens to me, I say in a rather loud voice, Thank You!

Their reaction usually brings a smile to my face.
 Manners and behaviour. - Old Navy
>> Theres a lack of respect all round, but with parents terrified of scarring their children
>> by actually telling them off and dishing out discipline, is it any wonder.
>>
>> Having watched my ex negociating with my son, offering him a deal without simply asking
>> ( and expecting ) him to do as he is told, I know she is
>> already going down the path of no return.
>> He isnt even 5 yet and he is calling the shots, its fab isnt it
>> how empowered kids are these days that a 5 year old gets to call terms
>> on their mother.
>>

They need to know who is boss from day one. Firm and fair worked for us.
 Manners and behaviour. - nyx2k
ive enfored proper manners in my children who are 10-13-15 and they wouldnt dream of not keeping a door open for someone or not saying please etc.
...ive enfored proper manners in my children who are 10-13-15...

Manners are not so valued as they once were, but they do still matter.

I've seen a few ignorant adults find that out the hard way.

Better to learn as a child, than as a grown-up.

Manners and behaviour. - Bromptonaut
The young let off the leish often struggle to recall the boundaries. Thirty years ago I was part of a team of junior civil servants. We were all under 25 and, in some cases for the first time, away from home. For reasons I cannot remember we had a 'gentleman's club' game in the staff rest room. Come Christmas we decided to extend this by taking the staff lunch at Rules - a similarly themed resteraunt in Covent Garden. Starters and mains went OK but then we got a bit loud. Somebody started reading a list of Annual Awards, mostly of a slightly offensive nature, to our senior colleagues and the minister's public appointees we served. No doubt there was other stuff as well.

Suffice to say we were not offered pudding!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 09:33
My personal bete noir with manners is people who say 'scuse me'. When exactly did that phrase lose the accompanying please and become a command?
 Manners and behaviour. - Pezzer
possibly when someone is standing in the way and blocking the busy supermarket isle with their trolleys chatting and are too self absorbed/ignorant to notice that half a dozen people are simply trying to get past.

I think 'scuse me' is slightly better mannered than what really needs to be said.
 Manners and behaviour. - Clk Sec
>> possibly when someone is standing in the way and blocking the busy supermarket isle

And those who block access to the bar in my local. My pet hate.
>> ive enfored proper manners in my children who are 10-13-15 and they wouldnt dream of
>> not keeping a door open for someone or not saying please etc.

Same with my two who are 18 & 16, I've even been complemented on their politeness!!

Son ignores the rules at home occasionally but that's testosterone fuelled boundary exploration - quite different from no manners at all.
...I've even been complemented on their politeness!!...

People respond more favourably to someone who has good manners, so it's worth being polite if for no other reason than it helps you get what you want.

This is never truer than in and around courts.

The more you say 'please' and 'thank you', the more you will get.

And it goes a long way if you go for a job intervieuw.No matter how clever you are, if you present yourself look clean be polite no matter what type of job you stand a better change.

Its often first inpressions what counts its a old cliche' but true.
 Manners and behaviour. - Skoda
>> And it goes a long way if you go for a job intervieuw.No matter how
>> clever you are, if you present yourself look clean be polite no matter what type
>> of job you stand a better change.
>>
>> Its often first inpressions what counts its a old cliche' but true.
>>

I did an interview where the girl had no concept of manners at all. Off to a bad start when she raced in the lift at reception before letting the folks already in the lift, out. She looked back at me as if to say "why are you waiting?".

Mild comment about it on the lift up just got a blank look.

Our interview process when doing intern positions is a bit long winded, but one part involves a panel interview. I stopped counting how many times she talked while someone else was asking a question.

I was trying to tell myself "could just be nerves" but when one of my colleagues asked her to let her finish, it wasn't a blank or upset look she got in return, just sheer confusion, as if to say "why?"

Ive always been polite in my work life, its extremely important to my mind, not just for the principle, but because these people are spending money with me, on something that is hardly an essential service.
Seems the least I can do is not just be grateful but sound it aswell and manners are a great way to convey that.

Manners and behaviour. - MD
>> Its often first inpressions what counts its a old cliche' but true.
>>
Shiny shoes.
 Manners and behaviour. - R.P.
Martin,

Shabby chic not arrived down there yet ?

Manners and behaviour. - Manatee
>> Martin,
>>
>> Shabby chic not arrived down there yet ?

Nor here - shabby isn't chic, just shabby ;-)

Were it to become chic, I'd have to find another way to be unfashionable.
 Manners and behaviour. - Zero

>> Son ignores the rules at home occasionally but that's testosterone fuelled boundary exploration - quite
>> different from no manners at all.

My son was, as a teen (less so now), appallingly rude, aggressive and grunty to Nicole and I. However all friends (and strangely Fathers of girlfriends ;) ) reported what a polite, charming considerate and erudite fellow he was.

Your children are a reflection on you.
>> My son was, as a teen (less so now), appallingly rude, aggressive and grunty to
>> Nicole and I. However all friends (and strangely Fathers of girlfriends ;) ) reported what
>> a polite, charming considerate and erudite fellow he was.
>>
>> Your children are a reflection on you.

Harry Enfield's Kevin was acutely observed; there was a sketch where Kevin & a mate were alternatively talking to their own and each other's parents. Complete change of persona.

There has been the odd suggestion that B junior might trip towards the mild end of the autism spectrum. Wasn't your son also?
He was statemented ADHD with some of the autistic tendencies. His saviour was this lot www.studioadhdcentre.org.uk who got him involved in Connextions where he joined the local connextions youth council

The studio centre has just lost its funding and is struggling, and connextions has all be shut down by the government.

Manners and behaviour. - boolean
>True, but how many parents these days enforce it ? How many parents actually set the example ?

>Some things you have to show by example. The kids are not seeing it so know no better. Sad state of affairs but that's where we are...

This is an appallingly lazy comment to make. Talk about tarring two generations with the same brush. I almost couldn't be bothered responding, but anyway.

I have two children. My elder has been taught to say please and thank you. She's three, so there is not guarantee of her remembering every time, but she is reminded. I know plenty of parents with children aged 0 to 10, and without fail any failure to be polite in private or in public gets a response from their parents.

>> >True, but how many parents these days enforce it ? How many parents actually set
>> the example ?
>>
>> >Some things you have to show by example. The kids are not seeing it so
>> know no better. Sad state of affairs but that's where we are...
>>
>> This is an appallingly lazy comment to make. Talk about tarring two generations with the
>> same brush. I almost couldn't be bothered responding, but anyway.
>>
Maybe so, but I tend to speak as I find and not dress it up to suit all tastes for fear of offending. Sorry it doesn't meet with your standards.

Some parents do as you, the majority I find don't.
We had a mumble about this the other day, been to a cafe now run by a former colleague and acquaintance as a post-retirement hobby, serving an ignorant looking tourist who addressed him as "mate" (which was probably the first time he'd ever been addressed thus) he just oozed politeness and good manner in return. Me ? I'd have wanted to slap the ill-mannered pillock who had no idea of his server's pedigree and background...

>> who addressed him as "mate" (which was probably the first time he'd ever been addressed
>> thus) he just oozed politeness and good manner in return. Me ? I'd have wanted
>> to slap the ill-mannered pillock who had no idea of his server's pedigree and background...

Oh I see!

Its not right to cow tow to royalty, but it is to your mate because of his "pedigree and background"

I would have thought royalty had more pedigree and background.
Oh no, didn't expect him to kowtow anymore than I would, but I am invariably polite to almost everyone without kowtowing ....! :-)
There is nothing wrong with the use of "Mate"

Its all how its done, and the tone of voice, its perfectly polite. Certainly wouldn't call someone serving me "sir". And if i was running a cafe, I would expect to be spoken to in all ways and by all terms, thats life.

If that was me I would have thrown your mate a perfectly executed cheecky cockernee "Cheers Guv'ner"
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 11:36
...who had no idea of his server's pedigree and background...

What's that got to do with anything?

I treat everyone the same on first meeting.

You know Zero your comment makes sense,that happened to us by one of our sons.

I have always been a softy with our children maybe it was my upbringing dad was never home.I was always determent if I had a familie to spend as much time with them as I could.

Childeren can hurt you and sometimes the more you try the lesser it works.There is no answer nobody taught me how to bring up a familie I went by what i experienced which wasn't always nice.

It has been said live is a rollercoaster in my case it was.
 Manners and behaviour. - Dog
When I was with my German bird back in the naughty nineties, she found it most peculiar that I would always say "yes please" or no thank you" all the time.

Funny people those Deutsches.
Bitte and danke sheun was still used when I was a youngster.:)

No race is bad only individials this was a quote from a good film.The odessa file with John Voght.A eldery jewish gentleman mentioned this.
>>Bitte and danke sheun was still used when I was a youngster.:)<<

Yes, I found German people very friendly & welcoming when we stayed in West and East Germany.

Nice country - I could live there.

I grew up near the border most of the television we saw was German and I could speak it when I was about six years old.I lost most of the skill but if I try it soon comes back to me.

People are what they experience and in my mothers case she couldn't forgive.A jewish familie next door to her was taking away and never to be seen again.

Me I take anybody as I see them met some lovely German people on holiday had a good laugh they do have a sense of humor and they love their food.

>>and they love their food<<

I'll go along with that one Dutchie and their beer :)

Our greatest experience was when we lived in Tenerife for 3.5 years (Los Cristianos) we met French, Belgians, Italians, Germans, Finns, Swedes, Danes, Russians, even Dutch :)

A quite grand cosmopolitan mix of friendly human beings (the sun helps!)
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 11:48
>>Funny people those Deutsches.<<

When I first met my east german relatives after the wall came down, I found it most odd that they all shook hands with me. I dont think id ever shaken an adults hand up till then.
Our son in law is Polish and he always gives me a smacker on the cheeks.I don't know to belt him or to hug him something inbetween.;)

I miss the sun just been back for a week and by its cold I keep putting the electric fire on.

Ready for the next hols but Poland in september wont be that warm.A mate of mine has a few flats in Tenerive to rent I have never been there no doubt it will be warmer than here.
 Manners and behaviour. - smokie
I've found most Russians incredibly rude and arrogant on the couple of times I've run into them on holidays, usually Egypt.
You have got a point smokie.

A long time ago now when the kids where little.In Spain I believe we had a Russian couple next to our room.Every night screaming and shouting they had a daughter with them the child was crying.

After a few nights I had enough and had a word with the russian I cant speak their language but he knew what i meant.Sometimes you have to make a decision to get involved and I did.

Manners and behaviour. - Alanovich
>> I've found most Russians incredibly rude and arrogant on the couple of times I've run
>> into them on holidays, usually Egypt.
>>

In Russia and in their language, that which we take for rudeness in England/English is their normal modus operandii.

For instance, if you ask a shop assistant for an item in Russian, the phrase translates in to English as "Girl - give!". This is usually accompanied by a dismissing wave of the hand in the general direction of the required item. To our English eyes and ears, this is appalling rudeness, but it is perfectly normal and polite in Russian society, and anyone who uses "Please" and "Thank you" in Russian in these circumstances is immediately idenified as a foreigner.

Nowadays when Russians travel they tend to bring these behaviours with them and so seem boorish and rude. However, if you are ever treated to domestic hospitality in a Russian's home you will be utterly buried in politeness and generosity. To the extent that if you compliemnt an item in a Russian's home ("Ooh, that's a nice Matryoshka/lace doyley/AK47"), it will usually be thrust in to your hands on departure as a gift - if you refuse then you will be seen as incredibly rude and offensive.
I assume its not a good idea to compliment the host on the good looks of his wife then.
 Manners and behaviour. - Alanovich
Ha, yes.

I didn't know about Russian customs when I first visited in Soviet times and ended up with an extensive collection of pirated Dire Straits cassettes and several copies of the collected works of Robbie Burns translated into Russian.
>>Our son in law is Polish and he always gives me a smacker on the cheeks<<

My 'German bird' always took pains to point out that she was Prusssian, we went back to the house near Stettin (Szczecin) where she was born.

Polish woman are beautiful - ask Bad Dave :)

13.4 degrees here in Cornwall Brrrrrrrrrr!
 Manners and behaviour. - BiggerBadderDave
"Ready for the next hols but Poland in september wont be that warm."

You'd be surprised. Summers are long and very hot. We've had two solid weeks now, in the early to mid 30s. Last year we were BBQing on the patio well into October in shorts and t-shirts - then in the space of a week there'll be snow and it will last for three months. It's almost like there are only two seasons here, both extreme.
>>When I first met my east german relatives after the wall came down<<

I particularly liked the East Germans ISTR, soooooo different from the West Germans, but I'm talking c93 of course.
>>I particularly liked the East Germans ISTR, soooooo different from the West Germans, but I'm talking c93 of course.<<

I remember when I first met my grandfathers sister in the 90's. Stout woman, worked in the fields all her life, lived pretty much self-sufficiently in the middle of nowhere, but quite fantastically, they had a swimming pool.
She had a handshake and grip not easily forgotten and didnt then and still doesnt speak a word of english.
The thing ive found about my german relatives is that they stay in touch. My second cousin Franziske even added me on Facebook the other day, not that ive seen her for 10 years. She is unbelievably pretty too, not a smidge of makeup, the sort of country girl that you might struggle to find here, she seems unburdened by western ideals.
She still remembers to send birthday cards and writes to my nan twice a year as she is the only one in the family that is fluent in english. Lovely family the whole lot of them, very warm and giving.

Ive always found west germans abit like the dullest accountants you could meet, not exclusively but to a fair degree.
>>I remember when I first met my grandfathers sister in the 90's. Stout woman, worked in the fields all her life, lived pretty much self-sufficiently in the middle of nowhere<<

I've got the 'middle of nowhere' bit, but the self sufficiency lifestyle is the hard part, in this country at least.

When Margot took me on a 6000m tour of E/W Germany, Poland and Czechoslovakia (as it was then) she had a boxes & packets of chocolates and biscuits in the boot of her Mercedes 230C (c93 model) and whoever she met on the trip would be given a gift of some sort.

We stayed with many East German families but as I couldn't sprekensi deutch I'd toddle orf to bed early.

Comrade Alanovich mentioned a book sometime ago called "Stasi hell or workers paradise?" which I bought and found very interesting.

www.arterypublications.co.uk/books/stasi_hell_or_workers_paradise.html
 Manners and behaviour. - Roger.
The Spanish look blankly at you if you say "please" "I would like...." & "thank you."
It is the culture.
If in a shop, for instance the assistant considers that he/she is paid to carry out the service & thanks are not necessary.
In the home environment "en-famille", it is not considered right to preface a request for instance, for the salt to be passed, with "please". The family are obligated by tradition and usage to be delighted to do anything for a fellow member and expressions of politeness are superfluous.
On the Costas there is more acceptance of the funny foreigners saying "please" & "thank-you", but in the sticks such an approach would be considered very odd!
 Manners and behaviour. - Manatee
>> >Some things you have to show by example. The kids are not seeing it so
>> know no better. Sad state of affairs but that's where we are...
>>
>> This is an appallingly lazy comment to make. Talk about tarring two generations with the
>> same brush. I almost couldn't be bothered responding, but anyway.
>>
>> I have two children. My elder has been taught to say please and thank you.

>> I know plenty of parents with children aged 0 to 10, and without fail
>> any failure to be polite in private or in public gets a response from their
>> parents.

@Boolean

1. There's a difference between teaching children to say please and thank you, and teaching them to be considerate and well mannered. I'm sure you do both - not everybody does. I'm thinking of a child I know who throws a tantrum if she doesn't get what she wants when she has said "please".

2. The bigger point I think is the example. There are plenty of parents insisting on 'please' and 'thank you' from their children who are not polite themselves. That's where the problem is in my opinion.

The majority of people I work with (25-40) have appalling manners. The most frequent manifestation is coming and speaking to somebody who is already in a conversation with somebody else!
I know about Polish woman dog have been to Gdanks the old man wouldn't let me go ashore.Funny how the conversation always drifts with certain people :)

We left Gdanks former Danzig for Scarborough with a gargo of timber through Kiel Canal.

We where at anker outside Scarborough for a few days wating for room.We had to get the first mate ashore a big hansome bloke about 6 feet 5 he picked up a slight problem in Gdanks with the local females.We landed our sloop on the beach which wasn't allowed by customs but needs must.

The old man told me thats the reason I wouldn't let you ashore I was sixteen.:)

I met my wife Diana in Scarborough still together after 43 years.
>>I met my wife Diana in Scarborough still together after 43 years<<

Nice name ~ gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/roman/diana.htm

I also visited Gdansk, and Sopot where I won a million* in the casino there.

*zloty :(

Must be quite a life being in the merchant navy, but as you say - you gotta be careful what you bring home with you!
 Manners and behaviour. - Armel Coussine
Snapping the fingers to attract a waiter's attention or using a peremptory or cold tone when addressing a waiter, chambermaid etc. is a dead giveaway of the uncultured yobbo within.

All over black Africa courtesy is valued by all classes, although the mode can vary quite a lot from place to place and not everyone is polite. Nigeria, a jostling and bustling place of great cultural diversity, contains both extremes of behaviour.

Walking down the street in Lagos once with an old, and stylish, friend who is properly brought up, I was shocked to see him walk straight at an elderly, bottom-of-society, raggedly dressed porter carrying an immense burden on his head, causing the porter to stagger nervously out of his way, as he expected in his posh white suit. 'Hey, man, for God's sake,' I said, 'can't you see he's working, poor guy?' My friend was surprised, but took it in. Later I heard him scolding someone else in the same terms.

Very rich people from Nigeria and many other countries can be truly horrible to their own and other people's servants and staff. They really don't deserve to be rich, people like that.
She has my credit card already dog I dare not call her Goddess, she will take me to the cleaners.;)

By the way I like your cottage very nice and smart.Car also Mitsubishi good motor.I had a Space Star the 1.6 model shouldn't have parted with it very good engines the mechanic told me very few problems.

I always wanted to be a Tug schipper worked for Piet Smit in Rotterdam we used to tow the big Smit Tak cranes and a lot of shipping coming in.I saw Europoort being build we used to assist with the big supertankers.Also have been on the pilot launches in the UK on a converted snibby from Scotland lovely sea ships they take any weather if handled right.I was always looking to earn the money familie to bring up mouths to feed .:)
 Manners and behaviour. - Roger.
I was taught manners from a VERY early age. Please & thank you were obligatory: doors were always opened for ladies, hats were raised for ladies (and in one of my schools, a cathedral school, to clergymen) and gentlemen always walked on the road side of a pavement if accompanied by a lady. One ALWAYS gave up one's seat on public transport to the aged and females.
To this day I open doors for members of the fair sex, always say please and thank-you and 95% of the time, (odd times when I might be loading the car our similar account for the other 5%) open our car door for SWMBO.
We ALWAYS sit down at a table for meals and have brought up our daughter with similar standards. She, in her turn, is passing (with a struggle!") those standards to our grandchildren.
Otherwise, I am a miserable & cynical old git!

Manners and behaviour. - Dave_
>> We ALWAYS sit down at a table for meals

My daughter is the age of inviting a different friend round for dinner every few days. About a quarter of them look quite bemused when I set plates of food down on the table.
>>By the way I like your cottage very nice and smart.Car also Mitsubishi good motor<<

Blimming cold though these stone cottages, it's only 16c in here at the moment but, I'm informed it'll be warm & cozy in the winter with the ole multi-fuel stove a'going (or, the board goes up!)

It's good to see, Dutchie, that your dad brought you up 'the right way', and that you've done the same with your bairns, that's the way life should be and we'd all be beneficiaries!
 Manners and behaviour. - PhilW
"I met my wife Diana in Scarborough still together after 43 years."
My home town - though I haven't lived there since ........ 1968! Remember the ships arriving with cargoes of wood but, you'll be pleased to hear that I don't remember any girls called Diana!!
PhilW
 Manners and behaviour. - PhilW
"A group of young women sat a few tables away from us shouting and acting daft "
Back on topic!
It seems to be the norm for young people (especially girls!!) to shriek and shout so that even normal conversations are held at very high volume. They (not all, I admit) seem to think that they should be the centre of attention at all times . Whatever happened to "children should be seen and not heard"? It's especially noticeable on public transport where they seem to think that the whole carriage or bus should be aware of exactly what they have done in the last few days.
>> "I met my wife Diana in Scarborough still together after 43 years."
>> My home town - though I haven't lived there since ........ 1968! Remember the ships
>> arriving with cargoes of wood but, you'll be pleased to hear that I don't remember
>> any girls called Diana!!
>> PhilW

I too remember ships unloading timber at Scarborough.

We used to go for the August BH week in the sixties with three generations of the family. My Gran and her brother (Great) Uncle Tom, Mum & her brother Uncle Sidney, his partner Auntie Pat and my sister and I as the youngsters. Dad drove us ther and then went off to do his own thing in the Lakes!!

I'd have been eight in 1968. Mum would have been there with her grandparents before the war.

Much more recently we've revived the tradition with Mum, me and my kids and my sister with hers. Kids still love playing shove ha' penny long after bedtime!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 20:41
 Manners and behaviour. - Cliff Pope
Politeness can be overdone and unnecessary.

Recently I overheard a mother and young son. As they passed a public loo, she asked him if he needed the toilet.
He replied "No".
"No, thank you" she corrected.

Why? She wasn't providing the toilet facilities, they were there courtesy of the borough council. Should he have offered a thanks to God, for having caused the council to be so thoughtful?
It seems to me his mother had done nothing warranting his thanks. She wasn't offering him an icecream. He probably was capable of working out for himself whether he needed the loo or not.
Latest Forum Posts