Non-motoring > Which ride on mower ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 26

Which ride on mower ? - R.P.
1/4 to 1/2 an acre of grassed area in a month or two (weather permitting) - nice and flat so no issues there. Had a look at a John Deere X135r - has a Briggs and Stratton motor (a twin cylinder four stroke) and a 42" cut - more importantly it has headlights ! A check on the internet reveals that the dealer is offering a good price. Trouble is overwhelmed with the different makes - there's even a BMW one (well Husqvarna)...any experiences ?
 Which ride on mower ? - Iffy
Don't think you'll go wrong with a John Deere - there's at least one on the site/golf course here, and I've seen a few around elsewhere.

Obvious question - do Honda do them?

Their stuff is hard to beat as you know.

Are you having a spankers new one?

If so, I reckon you are more than half way there, whichever make.

The ride-ons on the site get a thrashing, so I wouldn't fancy secondhand.

Which ride on mower ? - PeterS
Yes, Honda do them. My father bought a little Massey Ferguson ride-on mower/garden tractor around 20 years ago (with headlights!!); when it gave up it was replaced by a Honda, which is still going strong AFAIK
 Which ride on mower ? - Dog
I had a Westwood ride on which gave me sterling service, neighb had a Toro ride on which was the Bee's knees!
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 18:40
 Which ride on mower ? - Old Navy
Just seen the price of Honda ride on mowers, OUCH! You could buy a reasonable car for that price, glad I don't do grass.
My wife was joking you could get a small hatchback for the price of a John Deere - it's a balancing act as usual - this particular model is made in the US, lower pecking order machines are not made in the US but are badged as JDs. I am tempted by a Honda - but the cost is a deterrent ! The deal we've been offered is good including free delivery and instruction and collection for service....I'll wait for the Anglesey show now and try and get a discount !
I agree headlights are a must.

If I read the John Deere price list correctly, such a device can be had for about £2,500.

Not sure how much I thought they were going to be, but that's less than I expected.

It's the X155 that we've been quoted on (I stand corrected) - headlights are a must. I've seen a McCulloch on e-bay for less than 2k - any experiences ?
...It's the X155 that we've been quoted on...

That's a few rungs up the headlight mower ladder, perhaps it's got xenons. :)

I see the cheaper one is recommended for up to 5,000 sqm - wouldn't that be enough?

You say the ground is flat and easy going, which I tend to think gives you a bit of leeway on the quoted area.

The price list is not the clearest document, but I think I'm reading it correctly:

www.deere.co.uk/en_GB/products/homeowner/2011_pricelist.pdf

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 23:04
 Which ride on mower ? - Zero
As long as you can fit "stuff" on it

Like scarifiers, and spreaders, and stuff.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 23:10
A bit of late night lateral thinking....

This mower is going to cost the best part of £3K with a couple of almost essential extras.

What will the running costs be over, say, five years?

Guess about £100 a year, including fuel and a service or three.

Total cost £3,500.

How much would a contractor charge to cut this little bit, and how many times a year do you want it done?

Guess £100 each time - might be less - it can only be an hour's work for a bigger mower.

Cut it only five or six times a year - you could afford to pay someone else to do it for seven or eight years for the cost of the mower.

you cant ride on a contractor!
 Which ride on mower ? - henry k
>> you cant ride on a contractor!
>>
and a contractor does not need servicing ???
 Which ride on mower ? - devonite
I used to be a "contractor" - and yes you could! - and yes it does/did!!!! ;-)
 Which ride on mower ? - Clk Sec
I'm rather OOT in this respect. We have RCD, but I also use an additional RCD socket. And I don't try to mow wet grass 'cause it just flattens it.

Yes, I know the additional socket doesn't make an haporth of difference, but it keeps the wife happy.
 Which ride on mower ? - MD
Sheep.
 Which ride on mower ? - Clk Sec
I'd be thinking that way if I was Dog, with his two acres.
>>I'd be thinking that way if I was a Dog, with his two acres<<

The 2 acres were when we lived at Warleggan, C/S, there was a 'paddock' available to buy via separate transaction with this place, but it's just means more ergo :(

I did 'look into' keeping goats once but ... they don't eat grass like sheep (and horses)

In the end (Warleggan) I used to let the grass grow til June, and get Farmer Smeeth to cut it for silage and then I'd just cut a 'sort of' nature trail all around the perimeter with my Westwood.
Sadly, the wording of the covenant precludes sheep - we're forced to keep it as a "meadow" but not allowed to keep animals beyond "normal domestic pets" - I suppose a couple of sheep with collars and names would be pushing the boundaries....
>>Sadly, the wording of the covenant precludes sheep<<

Not allowed to keep sheep? - you should move to Wales then :-D
I reckon one could overturn that sort of convent if I was minded - the area is a rural/agricultural and I reckon its restrictive. Anyway a sheep doesn't have headlamps.
I'm surrounded by Sheep up here 'on the moor', all I can hear is Baaaaaat, Baaaaaat, Baaaaaat :)

>> a "meadow" but not allowed to keep animals beyond "normal domestic pets" - I suppose
>> a couple of sheep with collars and names would be pushing the boundaries....

I would have thought that counted as close family in those parts.
 Which ride on mower ? - Manatee
I know not a lot about ride on mowers except that my pal up the road has three and the tyres always seem to be flat.

I have just worked out what we mow and it's 0.3 acre. A ride on would be no good as there are fruit trees, but it takes about an hour, maybe an hour and a quarter, with a 21" Honda. I don't collect the grass mind, if I did you could add a bit for emptying the box.

Are you wanting the ride-on for grass cutting, or racing? It seems a bit extravagant!
I was half minded to buy a little scrambler for the latter, but no-doubt there's a by-law in this island fiefdom.
 Which ride on mower ? - bathtub tom
Does the covenant have 'teeth'? What penalties can anyone impose if you break it?

I've a covenant on my property, imposed by the local council. They admit they can't impose any penalty if I choose to ignore it and it may only be a problem if I sell the property, In which case it would be 'noted'.
 Which ride on mower ? - Alastairw
Our Lacross club uses an ancient, battered Westwood that was acquired on ebay some years ago. Used weekly through the winter it seems reliable, though very noisy. It does have the headlights, and is evidently as tough as old boots.
Latest Forum Posts