Non-motoring > Brucie's Bonus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 24

Brucie's Bonus - rtj70
I see Bruce Forsyth is at last a Sir :-) Well done. He's aged well. If only all of us would get to his age and be as fit and mentally agile.
 Brucie's Bonus - Stuartli
Been out for a pint (!) of Guinness tonight so Googled to find out more info. This is what came up (well a few of them!):

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096074

Yet this link, which had a similar theme, is bang up to date (!):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Forsyth

wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_bruce_forsyth_dead
 Brucie's Bonus - rtj70
So you googled and posted links to him being dead? Why?

How many pints have you had? I'd have probably looked on the Beeb myself:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13728375
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 01:14
 Brucie's Bonus - rtj70
So can we deduce you Google all responses? What's for breakfast?
 Brucie's Bonus - RattleandSmoke
Nice to see a great guy been knighted. I have always liked Bruce, always been the down to earth family entertainer. He isn't actually that old, I am sure there members of this site who are as old as him. Certainly I have a couple of customers who make Brucy seem like young person although my oldest regular is 88 I have many in their early 80's.
 Brucie's Bonus - Armel Coussine
Spry old boy I must say. I wonder how he does it. Monkey glands? Virgins' blood? Some sort of cyborg arrangement? Even I have one of those.

Even without ever havinng watched any of his shows one can't help seeing him at fairly short regular intervals. The man is literally all over the telly.

I've always thought there was something deeply, well, camp about his general demeanour and delivery. Of course that wouldn't put me off him, and it can't be very heartfelt judging by the winsome young women he steps out with, but I have never fully understood his appeal. He is a corner of popular culture that will forever remain a closed book to me, or at best an ajar one. I can see though that it must take great skill and professionalism to maintain that constructed facade of silly, faffing good nature for decade after decade. But it must be a winning formula because he's won.

Knight to see him. To see him, Knight.
 Brucie's Bonus - Dog
Can't stand the geezer, I've often wondered if he is actually alive, or just pumped full of embalming fluid.
 Brucie's Bonus - MD
Actually Perro he speaks very highly of you.
 Brucie's Bonus - Dog
Actually, I used to like him in saturday night at the london palladium (bit b4 your time young fella)
I also liked him (a lot) in play your cards right but - everything/one reaches their use by date :)
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 08:29
 Brucie's Bonus - Manatee
Exactly how I feel about him. He's made the best of what he had I think, Good on him.

Whether the honours system make any sense at all is another question. The fact that Gordon Brown rewarded his co-conspirators against the then Prime Minister with peerages and other honours rather taints the whole thing.
 Brucie's Bonus - Focusless
>> He's made the best of what he had

...which is quite a lot - one of the top all-round entertainers.

'The generation game' used to be part of our family Saturday nights, and I've got a lot of respect for the guy, but I do think 'Strictly come dancing' could do with a new presenter.
 Brucie's Bonus - Iffy
Brilliant at what he does, but age catches up with us all.
 Brucie's Bonus - bathtub tom
Someone I know went to one of these dancing programs being recorded. They reckon he could've had a broomstick up his back as they wheeled him out for brief appearances on camera. Apparently he doesn't look too good in the flesh.
 Brucie's Bonus - Robin O'Reliant
Honours should only be awarded to those who made a personal sacfrifice for the greater good, not to showbiz or sports stars who made a lot of money in pursuit of their own ends.
 Brucie's Bonus - Manatee
>> Honours should only be awarded to those who made a personal sacrifice for the greater
>> good, not to showbiz or sports stars who made a lot of money in pursuit
>> of their own ends.

I neither agree nor disagree - but that would be a different honours system to the one we have. It's quite a good suggestion actually. What has being famous got to do with anything? A separate honours list for non-famous people who do stuff would be good but I suppose that would become tainted by patronage.

"Doing good" should come in to it somewhere - I have a vague impression that Bruce has done a fair amount of charity stuff, which if true makes it surprising it has taken so long.

I wonder what Sir Fred Goodwin did to deserve his? Maybe his light is behind a bushel somewhere.
 Brucie's Bonus - R.P.
Or someone else's bushel of course.
 Brucie's Bonus - Zero
No-one can name the owner of the bushel.,
 Brucie's Bonus - Manatee
>> Someone I know went to one of these dancing programs being recorded. They reckon he
>> could've had a broomstick up his back as they wheeled him out for brief appearances
>> on camera. Apparently he doesn't look too good in the flesh.

SWMBO has been to a recording of Strictly (a pal of hers is the mother of one of the production team) and reported the opposite. Tremendous rapport with the audience, and lots of off camera interaction. She came back a fan.
 Brucie's Bonus - Armel Coussine
>> The fact that Gordon Brown rewarded his co-conspirators against the then Prime Minister with peerages and other honours rather taints the whole thing

Couldn't agree more. It's an appalling idea to give people knighthoods and peerages for doing stuff. They should carry on being sold for money by the party in power.
 Brucie's Bonus - Manatee
>> >> The fact that Gordon Brown rewarded his co-conspirators against the then Prime Minister with
>> peerages and other honours rather taints the whole thing
>>
>> Couldn't agree more. It's an appalling idea to give people knighthoods and peerages for doing
>> stuff. They should carry on being sold for money by the party in power.
>>

You might be on to something there AC.

After all, charitable work isn't charitable if you do it to earn recognition.

Perhaps one should rule oneself out to show that one's efforts in that direction really were selfless, and leave the gongs to the civil servants, political manipulators (donors) and cronies.

I know lots of people who do community stuff with no thought or likelihood of an honour. Some under this roof (and I am not so immodest as to refer to myself).
 Brucie's Bonus - Ian (Cape Town)
>> After all, charitable work isn't charitable if you do it to earn recognition.

>> I know lots of people who do community stuff with no thought or likelihood of
>> an honour. Some under this roof (and I am not so immodest as to refer
>> to myself).
>>

+ 16500%.
Reminds me of the Harry Enfield DJs - "he does a lorra great work for charidee, but he doesn't like to talk about it much...' repeated as often as possible.

Brucie's Bonus - VxFan
>> Can't stand the geezer,

Doesn't do much for me either. Met him once in Asda in Swindon. I think he was promoting a book as well as being at the official opening of it. Made me chuckle when I saw his pipe cleaner legs. Later I followed a chauffeur driven tatty navy blue Jag out of the car park and he was sat in the back of it.
 Brucie's Bonus - Robin O'Reliant
Say what you like about him, he's pulled some hot totty over the years.
 Brucie's Bonus - Dog
>>Later I followed a chauffeur driven tatty navy blue Jag out of the car park and he was sat in the back of it<<

You should've stuck one on him Dave ... a C4P sticker I mean!, which wouldn't a bad idea to promote this busy ness IMO - when I was in the tuning 'game', I designed my own car rear window sticker & 'stuck one on' every car I tuned,
I based it on the blue & white Hometune stickers (of the day) but mine was rosso red with Autotune in silver,
and "we come to you" underneath in black ... looked quite smart (I thought).
 Brucie's Bonus - Ian (Cape Town)
Nice to see this. To see this nice.
Latest Forum Posts