Non-motoring > Transpennine Trains Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 8

Transpennine Trains - BobbyG
Going down to a meeting in Manchester next month and looking at taking the train from Glasgow rather than drive as Hotel seems close to the station.
Now last time I was on a train journey longer than an hour was probably 30 odd years ago!

So if I book this journey, it is through Transpennine express. Is a train a train now, or is there Easyjet to Emirates versions? Will 3 1/2 hours on this train (not first class) be fine?

Just take a good book and the ipod? Will I get wi-fi or is that reserved for first class?
 Transpennine Trains - Bigtee
Yes Tpe as we call them i work for Northern rail Tpe have nice comfortable seating a good service.

Cross country work that neck of the woods i think don't have a great deal to do with the west im in Leeds.

Hst & 91's are the old Inter city stock these are the faster options.

Have a nice day.
 Transpennine Trains - Mapmaker
Virgin Rail from Glasgow to Preston, surely and then TPE for the last bit to Manchester. They're OK, but they're not intercity trains. No first class I think - even if you book and pay extra for it as part of a longer journey. I bought a first class ticket from Manchester to London, weekend engineering works took me over the Pennines on TPE - standing - until change onto the East Coast whence I was whisked away in luxury.
 Transpennine Trains - RattleandSmoke
Thinks are much faster in general than they were 30 years ago. I am not sure what class of trains they TPE use on that route. If you get a Virgin train it will be a Pendolino they are very very quick and very nice. They just slice through the Pennines like a motorbike.

Not a great deal difference going first class, on the Pendolinos and TPE there is enough legroom in normal and its comfortable enough. That said I only do the Manchester to London journey on the Pendos and that takes less than two hours.

Transpennine Trains - Bromptonaut
Bobby,

IIRC the route is operated by Class 185 diesel units. They are from Siemens' Desiro series and are similarly trimmed to the electric 350/1 desiros used on Euston - Northampton services.

If so then they're very comfortable with good views from most seats. No wi-fi though and if ours are any indication sockets for laptops etc are restricted to 1st class. Lovely run over Beatock and Shap. My only disapointment in your shoes would be at not starting from Edinburgh so as to add the mid calder line to the day's scenic delights.
I travel on the 185s a lot, very nice trains. Only problem with them is they can get a bit packed at peak times due to lack of seats.
Well travelled down today and now holed up in sunny Manchester :)

Train journey was very relaxed, wasn't first class but did have sockets to charge phones / laptops which is just as well as I was using netbook with the phone 3G but the phone battery drained very quickly. Wasn't particularly good though as kept losing reception (not really surprising through the hills etc).

Train is ran by First company with their logos etc on it. Thought it would be crowded due to the air issue but it was very empty. Might be a different story coming back as the route starts at Manchester Airport!!

When train had arrived at Glasgow Central there were obviously a lot of holidaymakers coming off it that had been delayed due to the air issues. The relief on their faces was very noticable!
I bet you feel a lot less stressed than you would have done if you had driven :).

You have also escaped the nightmare of parking in the city centre. Just a little tip if you have any time to do any sight seeing the picciddily area where the main station is is the most grotty part of the city centre. It is well well worth walking down to Ablert Square if you have the time and then perhaps up Deansgate.

If you have any time for a wee bit of a drink then the shambles is very good in the week, the Sinclairs Oyster bar is run by Samual Smiths and does the finiest and cheapest beer in the city centre.

If you have money to burn then the cloud23 bar in the Hilton Tower is probably worth visiting.

I always dread what visitors must think as the train pulls into Picciddily. The station itself is one of the best in the country but its shame about the view!
Rattle, yes a lot less stressful.

Glasgow Central is a 10 min walk from my work where my car is parked, and myhotel is 5 mins from Piccadilly so train made great sense. Fare down was £19 which I thought a great deal.

Don't know if I will be out and about, supposed to be meeting someone in the Hotel later on if they find it!

Latest Forum Posts