Non-motoring > Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 39

Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908

I'm glad that they're making a proper re-make of the Dambusters film if only as a tribute to the youngsters that died in the actual raid.

Seems they're changing the name of one of the "characters" - I was concerned at this initially, but unusually for Stephen Fry he seems to speak with common sense...

Guess there are too many bad associations with the N word - quite rightly.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Bromptonaut
Better than beeping it out as happens when the fifties B&W version is shown on the telly.

Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Old Navy
I would say it is worth using Digger just to deprive the PC brigade the ammunition. Its not historically correct but what films are?
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Zero
If you cant do it properly and accurately, don't bother to remake it, its not required anyway. What are they going to say that wasn't said in the first film?

Another liberal attempt to sanitise history.

Edit: and there is no need to do it for the memory of those involved. Everyone knows the name of Guy Gibson, and everyone knows the Dambusters Tune march.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Jun 11 at 16:29
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - bathtub tom
I totally agree with Zero.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Armel Coussine
I do too. Stephen Fry is all very well in his place, but what's he doing here?

I can't stand his nature voiceovers. Make me want to throw things, or at least change channels.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Londoner
They'll probably remake it like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Whereas the original .....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1VGw0wM7k&NR=1

and this is how you end a war film, remembering the cost:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yaXyDU6YB0&feature=related
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Iffy
I'm surprised anyone can get upset either way.

If a film producer wants to produce a film, it's no concern of ours what he bases it on, or how he does it.

We have our say at the box office, and increasingly, when the DVD comes out.

As i will, and as most of the British population did when the americans decided the capture of the uboat enigma codes need to be re-written. It bombed over here.

There really isnt much of an appetite for this kind of film nowdays either, suprised he has backing for it.
...There really isnt much of an appetite for this kind of film nowdays either...

Oh I dunno, it's such a good tale, and it's ingrained in the British psyche - a bit like Robin Hood.

So unless it's a total balls, it might do alright.

Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Bigtee
Is the Royal Air force Lancaster used for the flying shots and the Taxi runs or is this cgi?
Scale models, some New Zealand company was showing them on its web-site a couple of years ago. Looking forward to seeing it myself..
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - rtj70
Not Weta is it (the computer graphics company behind LoTR, Kong and the Hobbit). Suppose I could Google the answer but NZ and CGI probably = Weta Workshop.

EDIT: Well someone would Google it: www.wetanz.com/the-dam-busters/
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 10 Jun 11 at 21:08
They've built scale models in New Zealand

Also found this link. Full scale models built in China.

www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/2383809/Takeoff-looms-for-Dambusters
You wait, it will be Wing Commander Bilbo Daggins and his dog froyo, dropping mystics bombs on the evil wizard Sorpie.
Wearing size 25 boots.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Crankcase
As those darned hobbits were rescued from a fiery Doom by a set of blinking eagles - why didn't the eagles just fly them there in the first place and avoid all the bother?
...You wait, it will be Wing Commander Bilbo Daggins and his dog froyo, dropping mystics bombs on the evil wizard Sorpie...

I'm looking forward to this film already.
Low budget movie springs to mind.

I 'll wait till it's on sky no rush as i have original plus many more ww2 classics to entertain me.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Dog
>>and this is how you end a war film, remembering the cost:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yaXyDU6YB0&feature=related<<

Terrific film, terrific story "Never was so much owed by so many to so few".
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Ian (Cape Town)
Should have just called it 'the k-word' as we have to do these days...
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - bathtub tom
If it's the 'K' word I'm thinking of, I understood it referred to Bantu?

Can you still call a sjambok a sjambok?
>> If it's the 'K' word I'm thinking of, I understood it referred to Bantu?
>>
>> Can you still call a sjambok a sjambok?
>>

Indeed one can!

Back on topic, slightly - the local Shackleton will be back flying later this year, allegedly!

Worth the entry fee to the airshow just to hear them griffins roar!!

15-odd years back, a lot of ex RAF WW2 blokes were taken up for a spin - evoked many tears as they got into an Avro product again - my mate Andy said the one chap just stood at the ladder and said 'that smell... that smell...' before breaking down in the weeps.

As someone I knew who used to fly in Shackeltons used to remark - not so much an aircraft as a 10,000 rivets flying in close formation....
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - henry k
>>the local Shackleton will be back flying later this year, allegedly!
>>
Is that the one that, some years ago, sans engines, was next to the old aquarium in the waterfront ??
No henry. They had one at the aquarium, and that one is now in situ at Ysterplaat AFB. There is still one in flying condition.
There's also the skeleton of one in Mali somewhere - pelican 16, IIRC. Lost power en route to the UK in the 90s, and ditched.

*edith*
Yep - pelican 16.

SAAF 1722 is the only remaining flying Shackleton. The aircraft is owned and operated by the South African Air Force Museum based at AFB Ysterplaat. It was one of eight Shackletons operated by the South African Air Force from 1957 to 1984, and is currently used only for occasional flight demonstrations.

Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 19:01
www.shackleton963.co.uk/joomla/

UK Shackletons not flying but ground run and taxied if your interested and local.
If you can make it a classic like this with dog fights then crack on and make it. :www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zVRey2XEs
As you say - the amount of work that went into that film was incredible - almost (Spanish late reg ME109s apart) authentic on the 'plane side..The other accidental feature of the film is a subtle one, if you didn't know about it you'd barely notice it. Some of the aerial scenes are near silent, apparently it was it was intended to have background music on them, but when the first run was shown to the production team the lack of background music (which was yet to be dubbed on) struck them as being perfect so it stayed in the film.
>> As you say - the amount of work that went into that film was incredible
>> - almost (Spanish late reg ME109s apart) authentic on the 'plane side..

Happy to accept a real ME109, even if isn't German built.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Dutchie
Not keen on war movies I have heard to many horror stories from my mother when she was still alive.

For me the Cruel sea and das boat comes to mind,How people turn into different beings when trown into a unnatural situation.How can we envolve as a species when killing in this world is still the order of the day.
>> For me the Cruel sea and das boat comes to mind,How people turn into
>> different beings when trown into a unnatural situation.How can we envolve as a species when killing in this world is still the order of the day.
>>

Survival of democracy, as opposed to fascist rule, and all that.
And from the Das Boot point of view, being indoctrinated into the fight against the antichrist communists etc etc etc.
Easy to get led by the nose, if you know no better.
Good point Ian.

After two weeks in Tunesia on holiday I mentioned to my wife how well of we are in comparison to other people in this world.And the things we take for granted like freedom of speech social back up.I know things can always be better and we should strive for that but in my opinon the UK is not such a bad place to live if you are willing to work and have a go.

My mother saw train after train packed full of people taking to camps to be killed.In one situaton she told me.The train stopped in our village Nieuweschans and a old man fell out the train and the guard started to beat him up.She run onto the platform and went fot the guard to defend the old man.She was very lucky not to be trown on the train with her being from the village and not Jewish.

Anyway Iam rambling on cheers.;)

Lost a grandfather on North Russia convoys, and a great grandfather at first Falklands. Also a lot of my maternal ancestors - german jews called Zeitling - in WW2.
So I have a special place in hell for fascists, and for PC types who 'don't want to offend'.
I find it bizarre that history - especially WW2 history, considering the fight against fascism - can be changed to 'avoid offending' people.
Any ism you got to be carefull.Unfortenaly people are easily led by people who know better.

Qute a few years ago now driving in Holland taking our son Jan .I left my papers driving licence etc in a petrol station.After driving a about ten miles I realised what i had done and stopped at a police station who traced the petrol station who found the papers and kept them for me.(I was lucky).I picked the papers up the next day at the owners house I forgot the village name.His wife told me that nearly all the young men where shot as a reprisal messure in WW2.

Regarding the convoys to Murmanks I often think saylors are forgotting who lost their lives and they should be mentioned more.It must have been hell on a cargo ship waiting to be shot and knowing you wouldn't survive five minutes in the cold sea.

If people are offended so be it my old man try to get out of hook of holland when the war started the ship got captured and he ended up speaking perfect german till the war finished.
As it happens Dutchie - my current read is "Three Corvettes" by Nicholas Monsarrat - the author of the Cruel Sea. Very, very good.
He also wrote "the ship that died of shame"
It's included in the volume I'm reading now.
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Cliff Pope
Ref the n-word, Agatha Christie got bowdlerised too.
I've never understood why "Ten Little Indians" is considered acceptable, rather than insufferably patronising and in some ways just as racist as the original.

Perhaps "Ten below average height native Americans" would be better?
 Dambusters re-make....PC or PR ? - Londoner
When facts get changed to suit political correctness it makes me very uneasy.

In the 50's and 60's, modern drama defended the use of bad language and sexually explicit scenes in the new wave of plays and films because because it was factual and representative of real life. They were right of course - Workmen usually don't say "Oh Dearie Me!" when they hit their thumb with a hammer.

However, it seems that desire for realism has to take second place to Ideological Orthodoxy. If a minority group (especially a religious one) might be offended then censorship prevails.

Sometimes the whole thing becomes distinctly Orwellian, and not so different to the middle ages when anyone who was even suspected of not following the party line of the Church could be branded as a heretic.

As an example of how silly it can get, I wonder if any of you recall a few years ago the row over a famous picture of IK Brunel, which was airbrushed by the BBC because he was smoking in it!
Latest Forum Posts