Non-motoring > Manchester - Small and Wet? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 46

Manchester - Small and Wet? - Zero
This should stir Rats up a bit!

Carlos Tevez seemingly calls time on his Manchester City career after telling an Argentine chat show host that the city is "small and wet" and that he would "not even return there on vacation".

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13704323.stm
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Iffy
...This should stir Rats up a bit!...

I suspect when Mr Tevez said 'small', he meant the locals were parochial and small-minded.

That should stir Rats up a bit more.

Manchester - Small and Wet? - rtj70
Apparently there is nothing to do and only two restaurants in Manchester - according to Tevez. And when friends/family visit they can't go to the cinema because they don't understand. Presumably they don't speak English then.

Hopefully Tevez won't be coming back to this terrible place.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - RattleandSmoke
Comments like that are so stupid, they don't even warrant further comment. It is actually rather comical.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 12:24
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Hard Cheese

If that is what he said the he is stupid, it is not only factually inaccurate, he has also earned millions out of both sides of Manchester and should have respect for the fans and the traditions.

He is a good footballer though ...

Manchester - Small and Wet? - Mapmaker
It's certainly wet.

And it's not as small as it was as it has a Harvey Nics.
So does

LONDON
BRISTOL
DUBLIN
MANCHESTER
EDINBURGH
BIRMINGHAM
LEEDS
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - captain chaos
Small and Wet?
Pot, Kettle?
The population of the city is around 410,000 (Manchester city council) but the is the central area of a metropolis of 2.3 million people. There will be around 1 million people living within 7 miles of the city centre as a guess - not exactly a small city is it? Small compared to Shanghai, London and Paris perhaps but not small .

And it is the third most visited place in the UK after London and Edinburgh so is very rich in terms of tourism. There is 100's of hotels in the city centre now, 12 years ago I think it was about 30.

In terms of the national statistics, Manchester isn't even that wet, there are much wetter parts of the UK and I think the reputation is partly unfair. It rans more than London but so does most the UK.
This is not Greater Manchester, but the area which functions as Manchester. For example it includes parts of North Cheshire such as Poynton but excludes parts which are in Greater Manchester such as Wigan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester_Urban_Area

I think the 2011 census results will show a big reverse in the population trends as well.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - AnotherJohnH
>> The population of the city is around 410,000 (Manchester city council)

I think you could do with fewer in the Council, Rats :-)
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Dog
Praps he was comparing it to Buenos Aires :}
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Mapmaker
>> Praps he was comparing it to Buenos Aires :}
>>

Nice favelas there iirc.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Robin O'Reliant
Trevis is a pure mercenary, himself and his agents have screwed millions out of English football clubs. The mess West Ham are in started with their dealings with him, he was responsible for keeping us up a few years back but with hindsight it would have been cheaper to have gone down then and not been burdened with thirty million quids worth of compensation payments.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Armel Coussine
The thing that struck me was the statement that there are 'only two restaurants' in Manchester. What could the fellow mean?

I don't know Manchester at all well, but my guess is that both the ones he mentions would be pretentious, horrible and hideously expensive, the sort of place I would pay to stay out of. I would bet that there would be 50 better ones and cheaper, mainly oriental of course but probably not all. Some pubs for example do very decent English Sunday lunch all week long.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - rtj70
When he said there were only two restaurants then it was either two 'expensive' ones he'd go to or he was talking drivel. Well he was talking out of his posterior (will he go off and sulk now I said that?).

Deansgate in Manchester has several restaurants in a few hundred yards.

Good riddance if he don't come back :-)
I can see where he is coming from. Poor lad arrives in the UK, sees the bright lights of the east end, and then gets shipped off to Manchester. He cant believe that one side of town is so bad, so he tries the other, and finds its worse.,

Would drive anyone to be homesick for pie, mash and jellied eels.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Stuartli
>>Good riddance.. :-)>>

That's the view anyway of the City fans I know, who feel whilst a great player, he's an extremely selfish one both on and off the field.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Roger.
Oops.
A post in the wrong place. :=(
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 18:23
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - BiggerBadderDave
Manchester is a crap hole. The only good thing about coming from Salford is Southern birds like a bit of rough and the accent turns them on.
Funny how the people who often say Manchester is a crap hole are the ones that tend to come from the roughest parts of the city.

The city is very diverse though perhaps the most outside of London so peoples experiences will be very different.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - R.P.
Manchester's OK - perhaps a touch too challenging on many fronts for a peanut brained man who plays with balls.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Ted
>> Manchester's OK - perhaps a touch too challenging on many fronts for a peanut brained
>> man who plays with balls.

Not a nice thing to say about BBD, Pug :-)

Ted
>>

I used to quite like you Bigbad. Not so sure now I know you come from Salford.
If my city is a crap hole, your's is stuck up it's sphincter !

We've had discussion about the utter dumpness of Salford so I won't mention what a godforsaken awful bag of poo the place is. I won't, I just won't.

T. is just an ungrateful, disloyal dego...biting the hand, etc.I would think the only 2 restaurants he refers to are MacDonalds on Market St and Deansgate. If he'd explored a little further he'd have found another on Oxford Street.

The Blues can well do without him, there's plenty of other talent around, not all primadonnas.
Shove him off to Marbella Wanderers and save a million notes a month.

Pah "

Ted
Well said Ted :).

PS You we're not the "90 year old" man cheering on the trams today where you? As you look a good 30 years+ younger I very much doubt it unless the poster got it very wrong.

I wonder if BBD associates Salford with one of the less-happy periods of his time on the planet?

Daren't mention the mother-in-law and Christmas or he might get really depressed.

Not quite yet, you cheeky young whippersnapper !

I did get as close to one this afto as I could get on my own land, about 40 ft. I only knew it was coming 'cos I heard it toot. It was 2 units coupled. There was no noise whatsoever and no vibration. Unlike the Class 40 ' Whistlers ' which used to come past with block container trains 25 yrs ago.

Wife's uncle drove and used to play a tune on the hooter as he came past !

Was in the City today with our Leeds engineer who lives in Dewsbury. He was amazed at the Continental atmosphere of Piccadilly in the Sun.

Ted
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Londoner
Just been surfing the net and researching a bit about Manchester.
I'm very impressed, especially for the cultural activities it offers, and for the opportunities to see nature reserves and lovely countryside just a short drive from the city itself.

That Tevez bloke must be a right pillock.
...I'm very impressed, especially for the cultural activities it offers...

A few years ago, my research for a visit was a brochure posted to me by the tourist information centre.

Very impressive with its talk of this quarter and that quarter.

The reality was a disappointment, although not to the same extent as Tevez.

It was nothing like the brochure, and I felt a bit conned by that.

The new Marks and Sparks on the site of the bomb was nice.

Any tourism brochure misses the point really though. First impressions count too, if its a dark day and you arrive at Picciddilly station and all you see is the ruined old fire station you will probably think the entire place is a dump.

To me what makes Manchester tick is not the buildings or scenery but it is the people just so much exciting stuff going on all the time.

The Northern Quarter to me is a bit of a joke, it is over hyped beyond believe. But there is far more to the city than the city centre, the suburbs are important too. When the tram opens in the next few weeks I will be 10 minutes away to the city centre, yet I am a short walk away from countryside (the Mersey Valley).

Sadly I am priced out of my part of Manchester though and my generation are faced with the decision to stay in a good location or rent in the poorer parts but have a lot more space.
Of course there is other side with high poverty and problems with crime but if you live in a good part of the city you can avoid most of that. I am in the city centre most weeks till very late in the morning and never had any trouble. Because it is so big (in terms of night life) it is so easy to avoid the trouble spots.

I suppose I am just an average manc, bought up in a decent area but never been around money or poverty. Not been bought up with crime or anything like that. Just a typical British lower middle class background.

For me though it has been an exciting place to grow up, I've seen the city transformed into something unimaginable 10 years ago.

Even now there is still so much building work going on and many exciting projects. I've got 1,000s of photographs I've taken of such developments over the past 10 years.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - R.P.
I'm always happy to go there -- plenty to see and do as well as some decent beer. But then again I rather like Liverpool these days. This chap is another baby in an adult's body and maybe needs to stay at home a bit more.
As a manc I quite like Liverpool too, as a tourist attraction it might even have more to offer, but in terms of economics it is still has a lot more gloom than Manchester does.

I don't buy into all this Manchester v Liverpool thing, they are both very different cities but what I do know is that they were many many scousers living in Manchester.
There's a nice Apple shop in Liverpool - I was in last Christmas.

Of course, all Apple shops are nice.

But it will all be knock off in Liverpool :D *Sorry!*

Manchester - Small and Wet? - VxFan
>> Of course, all Apple shops are nice.

With the exception of this tatty shop in Bournemouth town centre

img857.imageshack.us/img857/4942/imagekdb.jpg

(edit, why is it when you try to take a photo, you get some strangers suddenly appearing in front of the lens?)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Jun 11 at 01:17
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - CGNorwich
That's not an Apple Store. It's an independent shop selling Apple computers
The best apple shop is in Covent Garden

You would cream your pants in there Iffy.
...You would cream your pants in there Iffy...

Thanks.

If I visit, I'll remember to take a spare pair.

Not sure what the Old Covent's like these days, but I expect there will be few design/graphics-type companies round and about who are big Apple users.

No its more full of the lifestyle wannabees with their macbook Airs and Iphone 4's.
>>No its more full of the lifestyle wannabees with their macbook Airs and Iphone 4's<<

I remember it when it was a fruit market & we used to nick some fruit on our way home from the Middle Earth club, before it moved to the round house in Chalk Farm (those were the days my friend!)
>> >>No its more full of the lifestyle wannabees with their macbook Airs and Iphone 4's<<
>>
>> I remember it when it was a fruit market & we used to nick some
>> fruit on our way home from the Middle Earth club, before it moved to the
>> round house in Chalk Farm (those were the days my friend!)

I rememberer it when it was a fruit and veg market, and it was the only place in London where the pubs opened at 4:00am in the morning.

It was an art in those dark days, to find a way to buy drinks in clubs and pubs for the full 24 hour cycle.

Those were the days my friend.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Jun 11 at 12:41
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - Pat
I can remember delivering fruit and veg there and going into a pub for some breakfast at 5am.

It shocked me to see everyone drinking beer ( the other lorry drivers as well).

In those days we always got given a box of fruit and veg and I used to love the green grapes because I could never afford to buy them.

Happy days....

Why? Because now I can afford them, they don't taste half as good!

Pat
>>I can remember delivering fruit and veg there and going into a pub for some breakfast at 5am.

It shocked me to see everyone drinking beer ( the other lorry drivers as well).<<

Do you remember the mobile sack van that used to park right next to this Church ~

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=covent+garden&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I always had 2 liversausage & onion rolls + a mug o' tea when I crawled out of the Middle Earth club c6-ooam :)

...No its more full of the lifestyle wannabees with their macbook Airs and Iphone 4's...

I bet some of the lasses are dead fit, though.

Mmmm, good looking girls and Apple products - seems like I might need that spare pair of shreddies.

Manchester - Small and Wet? - BiggerBadderDave
"I used to quite like you Bigbad. Not so sure now I know you come from Salford."

Actually I was born in Ancoats in the Salvation Army Hostel. Parents now reside in Cheadle Hulme, home to the worst pub in England. Opposite that dire row of shops where the Gaytime Post Office used to be.
 Manchester - Small and Wet? - wotspur
I think Tevez is correct about Manchester - infact it reminds me of the Muslim faith - sometimes Suni and sometimes its Shi'ite
Latest Forum Posts