Non-motoring > Turning off the internet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 27

Turning off the internet - Crankcase
I get less enamoured of all things webby as time goes by. It seems less and less relevant to me and more and more hassle.

I've played with

www.turnofftheinternet.com/

but it doesn't seem to work so well :)

As ever, I fully expect to be out of sync with everyone else, but let's say, on a scale of one (not at all important) to ten (I'll die), where would you score the idea of having no access to the internet ever again? How important is it to you?

I score about three I think - it's occasionally useful and interesting but if it were taken away tomorrow I'd have enough other things to fall back on.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 13:29
 Turning off the internet - Cliff Pope
Do you mean turning off just your own connection, or facing the prospect of the entire internet being abolished?

In the first scenario, 9, in the second, 1.

Turning off the internet - RattleandSmoke
It is my life

1) Half my jobs come via the internet (e.g email, VIOP phone)
2) I do all my banking and finances online
3) I do all my research online
4) I do everything including reading the news and watching TV online.

Even my social life is all organised by Facebook.

Certain aspects of online life such as Facebook are a hindrance more than anything else though.
 Turning off the internet - Robin O'Reliant
I'd go for a nine.

I could live without it because I obviously did for most of my life, but it has made such a difference the thought of going back to the days when Teletext was the most high tech piece of IT available is horrifying.

How the hell did we ever find things out? Yeah I know, books and all that, but I now possess far more knowledge about the world than I ever did pre-internet days. It also makes my job a lot easier.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 13:40
 Turning off the internet - Zero
Look at it this way, if we lost the net you wouldn't have to put up with me.
 Turning off the internet - neiltoo
Zero then....

8oD
 Turning off the internet - Dog
I was sans for ww about 3 weeks when we moved owse recently but obviously I had plenty to occupy my mind then,

I've learned a lot in the 10 years I've been on-line, I've learned a lot from you s0ds as well :)

So, yes - I could live without the ww, but wouldn't wanna = 7/10.
 Turning off the internet - Iffy
I like to do things the easy way.

Despite much initial reluctance - I've only been properly online two years - the internet is the easiest way to pay bills, order things, find out about services, and communicate with others generally.

Email, or more particularly mobile email, has saved me hours travelling to and from newspaper offices.

Then there's the recreational side - this place - which I also value.

I could manage without all of the above, but I certainly don't want to.

It's a bit like owning a car - could do without, but if I'm able to have one, I will.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:16
 Turning off the internet - Crankcase
Some of the things I find irritating, just to be able to look up the occasional website.

Oh look, the cost of broadband has gone up again.

Oh look, the broadband has crashed again.

Oh look, the machine needs another service pack.

Oh look, there's a virus threat and I need to update.

Oh look, the hard drive has died and the backup is dodgy.

Oh look, the battery on my laptop needs replacing for £100.

Oh look, a phone call from someone who wants me to fix theirs.

Oh look..etc.

...Oh look, the broadband has crashed again...

I think broadband speed is the biggest limitation of the internet.

It suited me to watch the Derby on the free wi-fi of a service station.

The BBC can send me the Derby, and my laptop can show me the Derby.

But can the wi-fi transmit the Derby?

Only just - we had to put up with regular 'bufferings', although by luck none during the race.

I read YouTube is going HD.

Don't make me laugh, half of us can't get standard definition reliably.

>> Don't make me laugh, half of us can't get standard definition reliably.

You have no idea young man. Some of us went on line at speeds soo slow you had to wait while the letters formed on the line. One could read faster than the text arrived.
...One could read faster than the text arrived...

I've seen that from the early wire services, and pics - black and white only - which took several minutes to arrive.

One of the reasons I didn't go online sooner was the feeble connection speeds.

Although the main one was my Luddite attitude.

Turning off the internet - rtj70
I first went online (bulletin boards) in the 80s. But having dial up Internet access was in 1995 (had Internet access at Manchester Uni before that). That was slow but remember the websites were a lot simpler too. None of this heavy use of flash, etc. So whilst not fast it was bearable.

Wouldn't want to go back to those speeds now though!
 Turning off the internet - madf
Internet makes finding out about anything MUCH easier.
And shopping cheaper.
And recycling (ebay,Freecycle) possible.

Could do without, would not WANT to do without.

Turning off the internet - boolean
Does your local public library have internet access? I don't suppose you'd have had time to go there during a move, but I tend to use the local library facilities when I'm on holiday if I need access to the net.

Hope the move went well.

I need the net for my work. Without it the day to day job would be very different, and difficult.
Last edited by: boolean on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:59
 Turning off the internet - Dog
>>Hope the move went well<<

Thanks! ... It all went more or less OK, and the weather helped of course,

Yes, I could have accessed the internet via the local library (if req.) but I thought I would be re-connected sooner than I was!

Turning off the internet - BiggerBadderDave
Without the internet, image libraries and ftp sites etc. I'd have to go back to the UK, rent a studio and use the telephone, disks and couriers.

Can't think of anything worse.
They have female couriers now dave.
 Turning off the internet - Focusless
>> ... I'd have to go back to the UK ...
>>
>> Can't think of anything worse.

The UK says "ditto".
There is a house down my road with 6 polish blokes in it, they have a motley collection of old cars stacked up in the garden that they try to move around in. When the recycling lorry comes round the crash of the booze bottles sounds like the kobi earthquake at the pilkington glass factory. A stewardess for some polish airline lives there as well.

Dave would feel well at home if he came back there
 Turning off the internet - Alanovich
Blimey, Z. Didn't reckon on you living in the rough end of Slurrey.
Probably owned by some bloke who has ran off to the cayman islands to avoid HMCR and has rented it out.

Or a Russian crim owns it and they are pretending to be poles.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 16:43
 Turning off the internet - four wheels good...
Havinge recently returned from a two week holiday with no internet, no TV, no newsapers, (our choice, not due to being anywhere obscure) only the car radio to catch up on the news and a Kindle with several books downloaded I didn't miss the internet or the other stuff. I didn't even cheat and set the recorder for anything.

Wifey is only a very reluctant internet user and not too bothered about lack of TV for a while as she could still use her mobile. I think I may even have talked to her occasionally.

Now I'm home and back to work I am on the internet, watching the telly and reading newspapers just as I was before the holiday. How long I could do without all of these things I don't know but it was good to be away from them for a while.

T'internet is very useful for work and many other things but just like the TV I will want to watch certain programmes but stay tuned to watch other rubbish too.
 Turning off the internet - RattleandSmoke
I first used the internet in 1996 and thought then as a 14 year old this is amazing. I got it at home in 1997 and then got broadband in 2001 (my cousins beat me they got in 2000) even it was just 512kbps.

Now got a 22mbps connection, ok some people have faster speeds but it is just about enough for me.

I really do wonder what job I would be doing now if it wasn't for the internet. My life would be very different in very aspect.
 Turning off the internet - MD
WE know where you live. We'd come and get you and YOU could buy the first round.
 Turning off the internet - spamcan61
About eight.

>> As ever, I fully expect to be out of sync with everyone else, but let's
>> say, on a scale of one (not at all important) to ten (I'll die), where
>> would you score the idea of having no access to the internet ever again? How
>> important is it to you?
>>

Whereas TV would score zero, as would newspapers, radio about seven.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 19:20
 Turning off the internet - Mike Hannon
About 5 I guess.
On a good day I get an iffy half a megabyte best speed so a lot of the advantages of broadband have already passed me by it seems.
I assume I player is no good for you then.
Latest Forum Posts