Non-motoring > BBC Freesat HD Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 28

BBC Freesat HD - Zero
Anyone got a problem getting BBC1HD and BBCHD on freesat.

The set is reporting no signal on transport stream 2050

Everything else is fine.
 BBC Freesat HD - Dog
OK here on foxsat.
 BBC Freesat HD - Zero
Retune fixed it

Wierd.
 BBC Freesat HD - Dog
>>Wierd<<

Or weird even ;}
 BBC Freesat HD - Old Navy
>> >>Wierd<<
>>
>> Or weird even ;}
>>

Pedant alarm! Thats twice this evening. :-)
 BBC Freesat HD - Dog
>>Pedant alarm! Thats twice this evening<<

Just tidying up O/N - it must be this bore hole water, no Chlorine, no Fluoride and no Aluminum :)
 BBC Freesat HD - Iffy
...Pedant alarm! Thats twice this evening Just tidying up O/N - it must be this bore hole water, no Chlorine, no Fluoride and no Aluminum :)...

Pedant alarm two: chlorine, fluoride, and aluminium are ordinary nouns so do not take a capital letter.

A bit like cat and dog - except dog would take a capital if it was used as a name.

Hope that's clear dog, I mean, hope that's clear Dog.

BBC Freesat HD - Dog
>>Hope that's clear dog, I mean, hope that's clear Dog<<

Hehe! ~ I can still remember Mr Preston, my English teacher and his nouns & verbs which stay with me to this day!

BBC Freesat HD - Alanovich
Missed a comma there, Iffy.

Tsk.
 BBC Freesat HD - Iffy
...Missed a comma there, Iffy...

Where? Where?

This is important.

BBC Freesat HD - Alanovich
Actually you missed two, I think. Between "clear" and "Dog". As Dog is a proper name in this case, a comma should preceed it when you're addressing that person.

Should have been:

"I hope that's clear, Dog."

I think.
 BBC Freesat HD - Dog
>>Should have been:

"I hope that's clear, Dog."

I think<<

I would have thought that is correct, and I'm un-edumacated.
 BBC Freesat HD - Iffy
Before we get into the realms of the Cambridge comma, I'm going to say my sentence is acceptable when using an informal, conversational style of English.

Cop out?

You bet.

BBC Freesat HD - Crankcase
I was going to say that "if it was used as a name" ought to read "if it were...".

But then I looked up the use of the subjunctive and decided that would make me look foolish, as I would have been wrong. So I decided not to post at all. No, wait...
 BBC Freesat HD - Iffy
...But then I looked up the use of the subjunctive...

The last thing we need around here is someone who knows what they are talking about - clear orf. :)

On re-reading the sentence, a comma before 'Dog' would have been preferable, although the capital 'D' does provide a slight pause.

BBC Freesat HD - spamcan61
The transmission format for the BBC HD stuff was changed from DVB-S to DVB-S2 today, that probably confused the box:-

www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051833
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 6 Jun 11 at 20:40
 BBC Freesat HD - Zero
AH! yes - Thanks. Not so wierd (weird) then.
>> AH! yes - Thanks. Not so wierd (weird) then.
>>
looks like a fair few people had problems:-

www.reghardware.com/2011/06/07/bbc_hd_freesat_switch/

I'd be a very unhappy camper if I'd bought a big fancy expensive Freesat TV a couple of years back and now have now BBC HD.
 BBC Freesat HD - rtj70
I think some Sony TV's are having problems now they are broadcasting in 1080P. The problem is not everything is 1080P and so the broadcast can switch between 1080P/1080i and the TVs get confused. The spec being used should allow for this so the TV manufacturer are to blame.
Yeah, I assume they're doing it to save bandwidth, but how much this constant 1080i-p swap per GOP actually saves I dunno.

The spec. thing can be a tricky issue, I've never read big chunks of the DVB-T specs, but the bits I have read seem much the same as the equivalent cellular ones; there are all sorts of ambiguities which lead to different designers doing different things and incompatibilities arising. Testing every possible aspect of functionality before release is unlikely I would think.
 BBC Freesat HD - rtj70
You would think the BBC would have wanted the manufacturers help with some testing first though. Maybe a firmware upgrade would fix this. Now we are the guinea pigs. Well I'm not as I don't have Freesat HD. I don't pay Sky for the Sky+ HD service either although I have an HD capable box.
 BBC Freesat HD - Iffy
Something to be said for being a late adopter.

>> Something to be said for being a late adopter.
>>
A pretty much universal rule, let someone else do the unpaid beta testing. We do have one TV in Spamcan Towers with HDMI now, so only about 5 years behind the curve.
 BBC Freesat HD - AnotherJohnH
>> Yeah, I assume they're doing it to save bandwidth, but how much this
>> constant 1080i-p swap per GOP actually saves I dunno.

AFAIK

The switch to S2 has nothing to do with i-p coding changes which are currently only on the BBC HD service on DTT, not any other DTT services, or Freesat.

The S2 change is to the modulation scheme - how the bits are transmitted and received - rather than the DVB encoding, which is compressing the video, audio, EPG and other data.

FWIW, my Humax foxsat (bought in early 2009) didn't need a rescan for the HD services, post S2 change, but it did have an OTA software update at the beginning of this month (the only one so far).
>> >> Yeah, I assume they're doing it to save bandwidth, but how much this
>> >> constant 1080i-p swap per GOP actually saves I dunno.
>>
>> AFAIK
>>
>> The switch to S2 has nothing to do with i-p coding changes which are currently
>> only on the BBC HD service on DTT, not any other DTT services, or Freesat.
>>
Yeah, wondered if anyone would spot our seamless switch from -S to -T there ;-). Presumably you could do the same trick on -S if you wanted to, to see how many more TVs break....
>> Yeah, wondered if anyone would spot our seamless switch from -S to -T there ;-).
>> Presumably you could do the same trick on -S if you wanted to,
>> to see how many more TVs break.

I don't think the changes to transmission and coding are done with a view to deliberately break things.
 BBC Freesat HD - henry k
>>I think some Sony TV's are having problems now they are broadcasting in 1080P.

www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/bbc-hd-audio-dropouts-sony-201105201158.htm
 BBC Freesat HD - Dog
images on screen zooming in and out from time to time

Thank's h - I wondered why my 5 year old Panasonic did that sometimes.

Last edited by: Dog on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 22:09
>> >>I think some Sony TV's are having problems now they are broadcasting in 1080P.

2010 Sony models finally fixed:

www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/666099#666099
Latest Forum Posts