Non-motoring > Keeping wine fresh Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 37

Keeping wine fresh - legacylad
I rarely drink at home because i have an excellent local pub which i frequent far too often.
Occasionally i fancy a glass of wine at home, but then leave the rest of the bottle in the fridge for over a week, when i discover it has then gone off!Are there special 'stoppers' to prevent this?
Thanks.
 Keeping wine fresh - Zero
Not for a week there isn't. You would have to replace the air in the bottle with an inert gas.

However, all is not lost, there are two solutions.

Fancy more than one glass of wine

or

Use the wine in cooking,
 Keeping wine fresh - henry k
>>Use the wine in cooking,
>>
SWMBO pours red wine into ice cube trays and pops them in the freezer.
Nice cubes to add to the pot.
>> >>Use the wine in cooking,
>> >>
>> SWMBO pours red wine into ice cube trays and pops them in the freezer.
>> Nice cubes to add to the pot.

Yeah, good tip
 Keeping wine fresh - Armel Coussine
>> Yeah, good tip

In a way, yes. But I know what my wife would say: that using energy to freeze the wine and then having to use extra energy to unfreeze it would be gratuitously wasteful of the earth's precious resources and further inflate a disgraceful elephant-sized western carbon cloven-hoofprint...
>> >> Yeah, good tip
>>
>>
>> In a way, yes. But I know what my wife would say: that using energy
>> to freeze the wine and then having to use extra energy to unfreeze it would
>> be gratuitously wasteful of the earth's precious resources and further inflate a disgraceful elephant-sized western
>> carbon cloven-hoofprint...

Sod the carbon cloven footprint, wine in food is more important.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 14:15
 Keeping wine fresh - Iffy
...But I know what my wife would say: that using energy to freeze the wine...

AC,

You could counter her indoors by telling her your freezer runs more efficiently the fuller it is.

What's more it's true 'cos it uses less energy to keep a block of ice cold than it does to keep the same sized block of air cold.

Keeping wine fresh - Armel Coussine
>> Sod the carbon cloven footprint, wine in food is more important.

Naturally I agree Zeddo. I was just quoting one of the things the authorities might say.

Like Mike Hannon below, too, I don't usually expect to leave any wine when a bottle is opened. But some people, including herself, are quite moderate drinkers and often leave just a glass or so in a bottle. She's even capable of not having a drink at all!

Superhuman if you ask me.
>>Are there special 'stoppers' to prevent this?
>>
Yes.
www.globalfse.co.uk/Product/Vacuvin-Wine-Saver-Pump-2-Stoppers/p31442.aspx?gclid=CPGtrciZnakCFQoa4QodxRsiuA

www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Vacuum-Wine/dp/B003FWMLNY

Lots of these around - various makes.
Well you can drink the wine after a week with one of those, but I certainly wont.
 Keeping wine fresh - CGNorwich
Not sure about a week but I use a Vacuvin which certainly extends the life of an opened bottle for a a day or two. Works by pumping out the air. It's the oxidisation of at the wine which causes it to deteriorate.

tinyurl.com/5r9btef

Keeping wine fresh - bathtub tom
'sfunny, hic, I've never,hic, had that problem, hic.
 Keeping wine fresh - Clk Sec
An opened bottle of wine wouldn't last longer than two days in this house, but I certainly wouldn't drink wine that had been opened for a week or more.
 Keeping wine fresh - MD
Is it the first or second bottle that you wish to preserve old chap!!
Generally positive reviews for wine pumps on the 'net, including here:

www.epinions.com/fddk-Accessories-Miscellaneous-Vacuum_Wine_Saver/display_~reviews

Most people say they are not magic, but it looks as if one would get the OP the extra few days of storage time he seeks.

I reckon the fridge and general atmospheric conditions may have an impact.

Food keeps much better in the fridge in cool and draughty Iffy Towers, than it does in the fridge in the caravan, where the temperature fluctuates due to the caravan's much poorer insulation.

Nothing keeps well anywhere when the weather is thundery.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 05:58
 Keeping wine fresh - BiggerBadderDave
I'll drink wine that's been sitting in a glass by the bed for a weekend. Once I've picked the flies out of it.
 Keeping wine fresh - Cliff Pope
Wine box. There is never an air gap in the container, so the wine is always fresh.
except there was never any good wine in the box in the first place.
Depends what you call good but plenty of very acceptable every-day wine in boxes. Waitrose normally carries a reasonable selection.
>> Depends what you call good but plenty of very acceptable every-day wine in boxes. Waitrose
>> normally carries a reasonable selection.

The Waitrose in my area don't stock wine in boxes.
...The Waitrose in my area don't stock wine in boxes...

I buy very little wine, but had the impression most places stopped selling the boxes some time ago.

15 different varieties on their website for the Norwich store from £15.99 to £20.99.

Perhaps you live in more of a beer area?
>>
>> 15 different varieties on their website for the Norwich store from £15.99 to £20.99.
>>
>> Perhaps you live in more of a beer area?

Ho Ho Ho. edit = ooops wrong county
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 13:25
>> The Waitrose in my area don't stock wine in boxes.
>> Perhaps you live in more of a beer area?

Or more of a fine wine area I would guess.
...Perhaps you live in more of a beer area?...

Beer area?

I don't even live in a Waitrose area.

We're all poor in the North East, y'know.

Now where did I put my flat cap and clogs?

The whippet needs a walk.

"I don't even live in a Waitrose area."

Waitrose have a branch at Hexham which I believe is their most northerly branch.
>> "I don't even live in a Waitrose area."
>>
>> Waitrose have a branch at Hexham which I believe is their most northerly branch.
>>
I have four within a couple of miles and I guess there might be yet another at the local motorway services.
Good to see them at several motorway services.

>> I have four within a couple of miles and I guess there might be yet
>> another at the local motorway services.

You suddenly got a Motorway built out your way then H? Wasn't there on Friday.
...Waitrose have a branch at Hexham which I believe is their most northerly branch...

Waitrose opened a branch in Durham City about three years ago.

I went to the opening, not much of a story, but I though there might have been some freebies on offer - there weren't.

I remember telling their executives from down south that while I wished their new enterprise well, there was unlikely to be enough Waitrose-type customers in the area for it to prosper.

There are a few wealthy people in the townhouses in Durham City, but the major catchment area is the surrounding former pit villages.

Some of them are officially classed as poverty zones under an EU designation.

The branch closed 18 months later.

Hexham is similar to Durham, but bigger, and there is far more prosperity in the surrounding smaller towns and villages of Northumberland.

Even so, I doubt the Waitrose in Hexham is one of their most profitable.

I dont have a problem with the concept of wine in boxes. The Aussies put some very good wine in boxes for their domestic market, it just never seems to happen over here.
I haven't bought any bag-in-box wines since the 80's, but none of it could have been described as good. None that I drank, anyway.

Edits to say that I'm still looking for genuine Pouilly-Fuisse at a fiver a bottle...
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 11:21
Does anyone remember the wine that was available in many pubs and social clubs back in the 70's and 80's? The choice was usually limited to red or medium dry white of dubious origin, and could be as rough as old boots. A great improvement these days, though, with most pubs dispensing a good selection, with even the least expensive being quite palatable.
I don't normally buy wine for myself in pubs because I like draught beer too much but it is indeed normally a lot better than it used to be . Still run into the occasional place where the bottle has been opened for days though.

Keeping wine fresh - Mike Hannon
An open bottle of wine doesn't last two hours in this house. Let alone two days.
I've never in my life opened a bottle of wine without intending to empty it.
A couple of Christmases ago a French neighbour gave me one of those vacuum pump and stopper kits. Anyone want one in pristine, unused condition?
>>Anyone want one in pristine, unused condition?

Giving stuff away doesn't seem to work on this forum. Have you still got your old car radio? I've still got my push button 1970's Radiomobile.

Or was it at the other place?
 Keeping wine fresh - Mike Hannon
Yes I have. Spotted it in the attic the other day. And I've still got the original fit push-button Siran I took out of my 1969 P6 3500 when I installed a Radiomobile bought for 50p at a car boot sale.
 Keeping wine fresh - Mapmaker
I never open a bottle without intending to finish it. Sometimes others don't agree, so some does get left over. A vacuvin works well on young wines - they often improve with a bit of air anyway. And the refrigerator helps too.
 Keeping wine fresh - legacylad
thanks for all your replies....I am a beer drinker hence I drink very little wine when 'home alone'. If SWMBO is present then it is a very different story!
I shall ask her to buy me a Vacuvin for my birthday next month.
And I shall try to finish future bottles of white (red gives me an awful headache!) within 3 days in future.
ps.
Thanks for the offer Mike H but the postage costs would probably be more than the cost of buying one from Amazon!
Latest Forum Posts