Non-motoring > Unsolicited calls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 10

Unsolicited calls - SteelSpark
I keep getting calls from some company claiming to wipe out your debt.

It tells me to press 2, to speak to an advisor.

I want to speak with them and tell them to take me off their list (no idea if they would or not), but I have two questions.

Would that just confirm to them that the number has someone on the other end?

By pressing 2 would I in some way be connecting to them and getting charged?

Any help appreciated.
 Unsolicited calls - R.P.
Google the number and see what it says on the net...
 Unsolicited calls - RattleandSmoke
Just ignore it, it is by far the best thing you can do. And if debt was a problem there are a million better ways to sort it than use these scammers.

Certainly they never reply to those spam text messages because if you reply STOP to them you're just confirming to them at the number exists.

I really wish the law was changed to get tougher on people that cold call and text. My business is not in the Yellow Pages any more, simply because when I was I got nothing but cold calls from people trying to sell me things.
 Unsolicited calls - rtj70
We are often getting an automated message about compensation for payment protection. Maybe if I listen and choose option 9 or something I can stop it? :-)

Also got a call from someone trying to offer the same. They seemed not to accept that I didn't want to speak and anyway had no loans and/or mortgages either. They have a job I guess.
 Unsolicited calls - Stuartli
I leave my phone on the answerphone mode - if I get calls that are clearly scams they are usually cut off immediately and don't register and if they are from people I wish to speak to I just pick up the phone when they attempt to leave a message (I can hear them start to leave a message).
 Unsolicited calls - RattleandSmoke
They are just scam artists most of the time who are using the phone book to get your number, or worse still random number generators. E.g they know say 0161 431 exists, there is only 9999 numbers within that and most will be valid.

Probably isn't any way to stop them. You tend to know they are scammers because you're registered with the TPS and they still call you they are not sticking to the rules before they even start.

The situation has got so bad with my parents that they just have to leave the answer phone on 24/7 and only answer it if it is a legitimate local number or somebody we know. They don't answer anything withheld.
 Unsolicited calls - Iffy
This gadget screens calls.

I think it was on Dragons' Den a year or two ago.

Looks expensive, but might do a job for someone with a chronic problem:

www.truecall.co.uk/
 Unsolicited calls - Stuartli
>>Probably isn't any way to stop them. You tend to know they are scammers because you're registered with the TPS and they still call you they are not sticking to the rules before they even start.>>

The TPS has no control over calls made from outside the UK...:-)

As I stated earlier, leaving the answerphone on helps to minimise the effect of such calls as the repeat calls are minimal. I reckon 95 per cent of all landline calls I receive are scam calls.
 Unsolicited calls - Armel Coussine
If you speak to someone you can be rude. If it's a message, text, email or phone, seems to me the best thing to do is ignore it. They will give up eventually. Answering or pressing the 'don't do this again' button these emails so conveniently provide you are probably just encouraging them.
 Unsolicited calls - Ted

It's answerphone, hang up or wind 'em up for me depending on my mood.
Get a lot of calls with nothing there so that's easy.

Hate to think how many we'd get if we didn't have TPS.......double the current number ?

This morning's was ' Is that Mr Ted, how are you today, sir ? ' Me..' Fine thank you ', click !
Might launch into a complete run-down of my health problems one day, if I have the time !

He didn't call back.

Ted
 Unsolicited calls - Clk Sec
As I mentioned in another thread recently, our landline is left on 'answerphone' most of the time. It's also loaded to the hilt with contact details, so that we are able to identify 90% of the genuine callers - the rest can leave a message.

Latest Forum Posts