Non-motoring > Another one bites the dust? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 173

Another one bites the dust? - FocalPoint
Has Perky Penguin left us? His last post was 11th May, but I notice he is currently posting under his old identity elsewhere.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 1 Jun 11 at 21:41
 Another one bites the dust? - John H
>> Has Perky Penguin left us? His last post was 11th May, but I notice he
>> is currently posting under his old identity elsewhere.
>>

I think he said on one of his posts over there discussing this forum that he did not particularly like Zero, or summat.

p.s. and why are you now FP rather than CP (and on both sites)?
"...and why are you now FP rather than CP (and on both sites)?"

Are you cross with me or something?
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 00:17
 Another one bites the dust? - Zero
>> I think he said on one of his posts over there discussing this forum that
>> he did not particularly like Zero, or summat.

Where does he say that?

Is it me, or does the forum search function not work over there?

I shall be annoyed with him if he has left in a huff over me.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 08:19
 Another one bites the dust? - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> >> he did not particularly like Zero, ---
>>
>> I shall be annoyed with him if he has left in a huff over me.
>>
>>

I don't get this like/dislike/huff thing that seems to trouble some people.

You don't have to "particularly" like someone to find their posts informative, incisive, dry, witty, and generally good fun.
 Another one bites the dust? - Clk Sec
One quality I particularly like about Zero, is that he is always right.
 Another one bites the dust? - CGNorwich
Absolutely. Just like the pope Zero will never err to all eternity.
Does that mean I will be beatified when I get "enraptured"*

*Sound so much more pious than die
I think Mr Cromwell had someone like you in mind when he wrote:

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." :-)

Mr Cromwell, did not consider for one second that he could be wrong. Considered a genocidal despot by some he started a war (twice) and wiped out millions of Irish to prove he was right.

"Mr Cromwell, did not consider for one second that he could be wrong."

Indeed, A dangerous thing is absolute certainty in belief and a failure to admit error.
 Another one bites the dust? - Skoda
tyro's not been around in a while either
or fenlander
>> or fenlander

He tried drinking diesel i think, after i said you could drink petrol and get high. Guess i win after all...

Only kidding FL :-)
 Another one bites the dust? - Hard Cheese

So, Mods, how many active members are there, it does seem a little sparse on here ...

I would guess we have about 60 active posters.
 Another one bites the dust? - Hard Cheese

I cant think of 60?
 Another one bites the dust? - Iffy
...I cant think of 60?...

If you define 'active' as someone who posts one or more times most weeks, I expect there will be a few more than 60.

In common with all the forums I've looked at, we have a fairly small hardcore who post several times a day.

What we don't have is many who join to post a question, hang around and post a bit while their thread is active, and then rarely post again.

Looking at the busier forums, the OPs may be largely 'new', but most of the replies are from the same old faces.
My 60 guess was based on "active" being at least one post a month.
...My 60 guess was based on "active" being at least one post a month...

Could well be right, although if I had to put my guess, it would be a few more.

Another one bites the dust? - Leif
Iffy said:
>> Looking at the busier forums, the OPs may be largely 'new', but most of the
>> replies are from the same old faces.

Oi, less of the old if you don't mind .... :)
...Oi, less of the old if you don't mind .... :)...

Average age of c4p members, now there's a thought.

I'll go for 50, because everyone on here seems so much older than me.

Another one bites the dust? - rtj70
Oi Rats is younger. And so are others. Me included. Skoda says he's 26 and I'm...
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 23:38
...Oi Rats is younger. And so are others. Me included...

But on average?
 Another one bites the dust? - RattleandSmoke
My 29th birthday is not too far away but time is going so fast 50 will not be so far away, providing I don't have a heart attack by then.
Or John (tooslow).

If I mention his name often enough, he might just return to the fold.
 Another one bites the dust? - Dog
How about FT, is he still an inmate here?
 Another one bites the dust? - Stuartli
>>One quality I particularly like about Zero, is that he is always right.>>

Exactly. How otherwise would we ever know if we were wrong?
 Another one bites the dust? - Old Navy
>> >>One quality I particularly like about Zero, is that he is always right.>>
>>
>> Exactly. How otherwise would we ever know if we were wrong?
>>

There is a vast difference between always being right and thinking you are always right. :-)
depends how good your record is... ;P
 Another one bites the dust? - Cliff Pope
I'm suddenly reminded of that film, or is it proper piece of music (?) where all the orchestra creep away one by one until there is only the soloist left.

What is the critical population for a forum not to become extinct? If we were approaching it, would active canvassing work?

I wonder if there are "gentlemen's forums", with a closed membership by invitation only. There are I believe some very small dining clubs of great antiquity, sustained by mutual conviviality.
 Another one bites the dust? - Crankcase
>> I'm suddenly reminded of that film, or is it proper piece of music (?) where
>> all the orchestra creep away one by one until there is only the soloist left.
>>

Isn't that the very definition of a fugue? Each voice comes in one by one, and the audience depart in a similar manner.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 13:53
...Isn't that the very definition of a fugue? Each voice comes in one by one, and the audience depart in a similar manner....

There's a definition on Wiki which I don't understand, although you might:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue

Another one bites the dust? - Pat
I do hope that isn't a subtle way of trying to get rid of me Cliff:)

Pat

Because I'm not going!
 Another one bites the dust? - Avant
"I'm suddenly reminded of that film, or is it proper piece of music (?) where all the orchestra creep away one by one until there is only the soloist left."

It's a long way back up the thread, but Cliff, were you thinking of Haydn's Farewell Symphony? He wrote it as a protest at the musicians not being paid enough by their patron, who I think was Prince Esterhazy. They also thought they were due for a holiday.

I think Haydn's light-hearted protest had the desired result.

Last edited by: Avant on Fri 3 Jun 11 at 00:46
There is a vast difference between always being right and thinking you are always right.

Heresy! There can be no question of his rightness. :-)

You know, boi, I sometimes doubt your faith...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 13:57
"You know, boi, I sometimes doubt your faith..."

Truly, yours is not an easy path to follow...

One of the best python sketches.

p.s in Norfolk its bor not boi, As in "Hello, Bor, how're yer gorn on, tergether?"

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 17:01
Since we are talking departures, I see posts made by me and Zero in the thread on HJ about hobby leaving here have been deleted.

Comments made by rtj70 about that site only being interested in making money for the owners have also gone.

If the cap fits...zap it!

Link to the dark side: tinyurl.com/4y2w5t5

Perhaps you have the wrong thread?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=90898
...Perhaps you have the wrong thread?...

Ah, yes - and no.

rtj70's money making comment has been deleted - by their mod Boris the Spider.

Our posts to which I referred have not been.

As you say, they were/are in the thread you've linked to.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake - and swiftly.

These things are always best dealt with straight away.

Another one bites the dust? - VxFan
>> Comments made by rtj70 about that site only being interested in making money for the owners have also gone.

My comment hasn't (yet).

But do we keep on having to refer back to the other side? That was so yesterday.
 Another one bites the dust? - Armel Coussine
>> I shall be annoyed with him if he has left in a huff over me.

Chances are you have already shown some annoyance to cause the huff.

But I agree with Cliff Pope on this. Flouncing is a sign of emotional or intellectual fragility. One wonders how people so easily upset manage in the real world (which, I would remind people, this isn't).

I have been extremely rude to some posters, sometimes in the heat of the moment but sometimes after long consideration. Most seem to have been able to cope with it without undue drama.

This may be asking for trouble, but I would single John H out as one who can take it as well as hand it out, sometimes gratuitously. Perhaps he isn't a Scientologist after all.
...I have been extremely rude to some posters...

AC,

I take issue with the word 'extremely', you have been merely rude.

...Flouncing is a sign of emotional or intellectual fragility...

And immaturity.

He is hewn from the same block as you AC.
>> He is hewn from the same block as you AC.

Who could you mean?

No one is Zeddo, not even you.
>> This may be asking for trouble, but I would single John H out as one
>> who can take it as well as hand it out, sometimes gratuitously. Perhaps he isn't
>> a Scientologist after all.
>>
>>

Strewth.
Tchah.
Heh, heh, heh.

Don't single me out. Zero is just as good if not better than you and me. :-0

>> Zero is just as good if not better

Oh dear. I thought showing a bit of courtesy might lead to trouble. Perhaps Edward Lear should be allowed some comment here:

There was an old man of Newhaven
Who danced the quadrille with a raven,
But they said 'It's absurd
To encourage the bird!'
And they smashed that old man of Newhaven.
...Perhaps Edward Lear should be allowed some comment here:...

He makes more sense than a lot of posts on here - someone should sort him out a username.

Another one bites the dust? - Ted

Perky was last here on Monday...not too long ago if you're away or in prison or something.

Dr Prune hasn't peeped in since April 21st, though.

Ted
 Another one bites the dust? - nyx2k
that ben had a bee in his bonnet didnt he. just read the post on hj, i hated the excessive moderation on hj, its got a little better now on hj but this is far better for moderation, it seems the mods let the thread live and breathe until someone goes a little far and gently pull it back
Another who behaves well under fire is the Sheikh. Just carries on doing his thing as if no one had given him cheek or (sometimes) tried to be unkind.

Whoever that prat is giving a travestied description of this site in the other place seems to have it in for the Sheikh. What's the matter with these people? If something seems boring or inane either you say so on the spot or you just don't read their posts. Personally I like to see him rattling away. Seems endearing to me.

Perhaps after all I am a sentimentalist at heart shock horror.
in the past i was of the opinion that rats was a troll but he is a valued poster nowdays. ok i want to grab him and shake him very hard sometimes and get him to see a bigger picture ie grow your business or stay at home looking after your parents till you're 90 but each to his own
 Another one bites the dust? - Old Navy
>> in the past i was of the opinion that rats was a troll but he
>> is a valued poster nowdays.
>>

Having met Rattle I can assure you he is a genuine guy, different to the standard issue forum member, but all the better for it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 18:26
...i hated the excessive moderation on hj...

Disagree with the legal expert over there and you'll find yourself in hot water, as this poster discovered:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91273

Wonder who he is?

you cant disagree with lucy, what were you thinking. her knack for over dramatisation is legend. i wonder if hj gets a cut for any business she scares out of the posters
...what were you thinking...

Clearly, I hoped.

But you are, of course, right.

Another one bites the dust? - Stuu
You realise of course that Benny boy will now pipe up over there like that little kid who tells tales ' they ARE talking about you, see I said they were! ', wagging his little finger at us.
Well, he's piped up all right. But maybe he's found his sense of humour as well.
nyx2k said:

>> you cant disagree with lucy, what were you thinking. her knack for over dramatisation is
>> legend. i wonder if hj gets a cut for any business she scares out of
>> the posters

Spot on. I think she manages a large team, and probably scares the beejayzus out of the lot of them, poor beggers.
But everything about the HJ site is about making money - but so it should. It is a business. He has to pay for the flights to the far east somehow. So the Lucy Bonham-Carter (made up name surely) will generate some money for Peter.
>> So the Lucy Bonham-Carter (made up name surely)

I might be talking out my backside, but did she not used to be (or the model representing her on the page) quite hot?
 Another one bites the dust? - Focusless
>> >> So the Lucy Bonham-Carter (made up name surely)
>>
>> I might be talking out my backside, but did she not used to be (or
>> the model representing her on the page) quite hot?

en-gb.facebook.com/people/Lucy-Bonham-Carter/100001349226663
>> I might be talking out my backside, but did she not used to be (or
>> the model representing her on the page) quite hot?

Hot? Ha ha. Decidedly unattractive.
it may be a business but as a poster on hj in the old days you felt ignored and unwanted, dont post there much now and with people like the ben charactrer i dont think my post rate will go up anytime soon
rtj70 said:
>> But everything about the HJ site is about making money - but so it should.
>> It is a business. He has to pay for the flights to the far east
>> somehow.

I don't see a problem with making money from a web site. He has to make a living, and pay the overheads such as server rental. My experience is that HJ is a polite helpful and likeable chap. So good luck to him and his writing career. And he writes well in my opinion. Blimey, the site is free to thee and me. If you do not like it, do not go there. Car4Play costs money, and I am grateful to the people who run it.
...Car4Play costs money, and I am grateful to the people who run it...

I'm also grateful to the people that run it.

Financially, I reckon this site wipes its face, that is it brings in very little in advertising, but it costs very little to run.

I hope that's right, because it means Steven should keep it going - provided we don't cause him too much aggro. :)

We have the benefit of volunteer labour in the shape of the mods, and there could be a problem if they threw in the towel and couldn't be replaced.

But it's likely others would volunteer, as happened at HJ.

Iffy said:
>> Disagree with the legal expert over there and you'll find yourself in hot water, as
>> this poster discovered:

I absolutely loathe that woman i.e. LucyBC. She is so self righteous, and pompous. She uses the forum as a means to solicit custom as you can see in that example. You might expect her to advise the poster to seek legal aid, and indicate that she can provide advice if needed. But no, she simply instructs the person to contact her. Kerching. I assume that she passes money to HJ.

She is a reason why I rarely post on that forum. Also I asked a couple of questions in the general forum about non motoring issues, I can't recall the questions but along the lines of "how do you remove wallpaper" i.e. totally inoffensive, and I got loads of really sarcastic replies. Not nice.

I cannot understand what people are on about when they say this forum is rude or whatever. Sorry? Maybe it's my age or something, but this forum is relaxed. No tyrannical moderation, lots of humour, some rambling (guilty as charged m'lud) etc.
...I absolutely loathe that woman i.e. LucyBC. She is so self righteous, and pompous...

I thought nyx2k made a good point further up the thread when he said she scares business out of the punters.

"How very apt. It's not just me then!!" - as my friend midlifecrisis says further down the thread.

Although I think he might have been referring to somebody else.

I enjoy this forum very much indeed; it's well managed, well moderated with a wealth of knowledgeable, helpful and witty people on board. I also enjoyed my time on HJ, and although I haven't posted there for a long time, I do look in on their legal thread a couple of times a week and find LucyBC's input both interesting and informative.
I find her input an interesting read as well. One does however constantly feel she is touting for business in a "ambulance chaser" kind of way.
...One does however constantly feel she is touting for business...

What spoils it for me is the first or second answer is 'email me' which often has the effect of bringing the thread to a close.

I am bound to make a factual observation or two about that thread in which we had a spat.

If the OP follows my advice he may not qualify for legal aid, and if he does, the payment will be about £50 for one consultation with the duty solicitor at magistrates' court.

If the OP somehow manages to get himself charged with perverting the course, he will qualify for legal aid, the case will go to crown court, and the legal aid bill could be almost anything, but probably around a couple of thousand.

My way the lawyers make £50, Lucy's way the lawyers make £2,000.

Were I in line for a plum £2,000 freelance writing job and some bloke on the internet was telling the punter it could be done for £50, I would be cross.

But then, I wouldn't advise the punter he needed to spend £2,000 when I knew fine well £50 was enough.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 4 Jun 11 at 10:01
>> i hated the excessive moderation on hj

So did I. So glad they didn't get the chance to moderate this forum.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 21:00
>> So did I. So glad they didn't get the chance to moderate this forum.

But the moderation style over there was down to the mods in the end. The rules/standards being defined by the mods and passed down to the new mods etc. The moderation here is more sensible isn't it.
i beleive the work you did on hj was to a strict guideline that the hatted man himself laid down.
he didnt want and superflous posts just ones that could help users with problems and maake as much money as he could for himself
>> i beleive the work you did on hj was to a strict guideline that the hatted man himself laid down.

Not quite. I think it was the original mods who helped set it up and passed on the baton (so to speak). Dave might correct me.
>> Dave might correct me.

Near as damn it right. Although we all had our own moderating style, a lot of what we did was following on from our predecessors. IIRC, early on the BR was awash with trolls, idiots, etc because of little moderation. Before my time though, so can't be 100% sure. If you look in the BR archive though, you'll see some examples of how it used to be as that's where the old BR is.

If anyone deserves the credit for turning the BR around, it was Mark RBLS. Apologies if Martyn and DW were also involved. As I said, before my time.

DW stood down his role of being a mod, and sometime afterwards I was asked if I would like to moderate Tech Matters so Mark could spend more time moderating the discussion side of the forum. Not long afterwards I helped to moderate the whole forum.

HJ had very little involvement with moderating. He trusted us to do it, and flag anything to him if we felt it necessary for him to get involved or pass comment.

Then someone from the advertising and publishing side started taking an interest and I got the feeling we couldn't be trusted to make decisions anymore, and near everything we did got questioned.

Anyway, enough of washing my laundry in public. That was the past, this site is the future. Our moderating style changed here because we had a clean sheet of paper to work from.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 3 Jun 11 at 01:14

>> of what we did was following on from our predecessors. IIRC, early on the BR
>> was awash with trolls, idiots, etc because of little moderation. Before my time though, so
>> can't be 100% sure. If you look in the BR archive though, you'll see some
>> examples of how it used to be as that's where the old BR is.

I often go there and find some of it rather amusing. There were some great characters trying to get in. WHat ever happened to Toad of Toad Hall (parp)? Who was he?

>>
>> If anyone deserves the credit for turning the BR around, it was Mark RBLS.

Who was as much of a character as any of those who tried to cross him, he had some great put down lines, albeit pushing the kill button to stifle any comeback.

>> WHat ever happened to Toad of Toad Hall (parp)?

Became too much of a PITA. Mark had more clashes with him than I did though. From a regular members point of view he was funny, but from a mods point of view he caused a lot of unnecessary work for us.
Was he squished?
No, he got told to hop it.
 Another one bites the dust? - Robin O'Reliant
>> No, he got told to hop it.
>>
I thought he'd croaked.
>> No, he got told to hop it.

Well, he was only pond life.

PS: I enjoyed his comments, but yes he was argumentative with the mods.
 Another one bites the dust? - Edward Lear
>> ...Perhaps Edward Lear should be allowed some comment here:...

A was once an ant,
Tiny,
Busy,
Speedy,
Shiny
In the groundy
Little ant!

A was once a little ant,
Antsy
Fantsy
Mantsy
Antsy,
Fantsy anty,
Little ant!

B was once a little bat,
Batsy,
Watsy,
Fatsy,
Batsy,
Bumpy smacky
Little bat!

C was once a little cat,
Batty,
Catty,
Fatty,
Jatty,
Fatty batty,
Little cat!

C was once a little cow,
Cowy,
Bowy,
Wowy,
Howy,
Powy cowy,
Little cow!

D was once a little dog,
Doggy,
Woggy,
Loggy,
Doggy,
Fasty-runner,
Little doggy!

E was once the whole wide earth,
Earthy,
Mearthy,
Girthy,
It gave birthy
To this new earthy,
This whole wide earth!

G was once a little goat,
Goaty,
Woaty,
Foaty,
Goaty,
Baa, baa oaty,
Little goat!

H was once a little hawk,
Hawky,
Lawky,
Stawky,
Hawky,
Smawky hawky,
Little hawk!

I was once a little iguana,
Igy,
Wigy,
Ligy,
Igy,
Silly willy,
Little iguana!

J was once a little juke box,
Boxy,
Koxy,
Loxy,
Boxy,
Wide insidy,
Little juke box!

K was once a little kit,
Kitty,
Bitty,
Itty,
Witty,
Icky kitty,
Little kit!

L was once little lion,
Mindon,
Gion,
Bion,
Sighon
Gooey zion,
Little lion!

M is an 'm' you see,
Memmy,
Temmy,
Semmy,
Shemmy,
Now 'm' is a moose you see,
But she doesn't want to be!

O was once a little ox,
Oxy,
Woxy,
Foxy,
Noxy,
Run run oxy,
Little Ox!

P was once a plump old lady,
Plumpy,
Pumpy,
Tunky,
Wunky,
Plumpy pumpy,
Little old lady!

Q was once a little quail,
Quaily,
Scaly,
Whaly,
Quaily,
Paly quaily,
Little quail!

S was once a little snake,
Snakey,
Bakey,
Kakey,
Sakey,
In a jungel,
Little snake!

T was once a little turtle,
Turtally,
Urtally,
Nurtally,
Turtally,
Murtally burtally,
Little turtle!

U was once a little unicorn,
Unicorny,
Tricorny,
Minocorny,
Unicorny,
In a barn,
Little unicorn!

V was once a little van,
Vanny,
Flanny,
Manny
Vanny,
Drive really fasty,
Little van!

W was once a little witch,
Witchy,
Twitchy,
Cwitchy,
Witchy,
Fly real high,
Little witch!

X was once a little x-man,
Mexman,
Nexman,
Pexman,
Mexman,
X-man has big claws,
Little x-man!

Y was once a little yarn,
Yarny,
Carny,
Larny,
Yarny,
Rolly yarny,
Little yarn!

Z was once a little zucchini,
Winey,
Tiney,
Liney,
Winey,
Tinky zinky,
Little letter z!
I'll take on John H and Zero any day if suitably annoyed by them, but there is one person I shall one day pluck up the courage to say exactly what I think to them:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 16:57
< Picks up the hanky she dropped, and hands it back to her without a comment noting the spurned and disappointed look on her face >
Sarcasm doesn't become you Z, you can do better than that.

Pat
Oh its not sarcasm Pat.
Then please explain because clearly someone else understand what you're trying to say by the thumbs up.

Pat
Now that puts me in an impossible situation, the explanation needs to come from a third party.
>> the explanation needs to come from a third party.

Yeah, well, suppose Queen Elizabeth I had picked up Raleigh's cloak and handed it back to him without comment, then stepped forward into the muddy puddle? Surely the poor man would have felt slighted and humiliated?

Might have been preferable to having his head chopped off of course. No doubt the Virgin Queen regarded that as a mere 'racing incident'.

He's spurning your gallant attempt to keep his dodgy old trainers clean Pat.
 Another one bites the dust? - Edward Lear
>> Then please explain because clearly someone else understand what you're trying to say by the
>> thumbs up.

In days of old,
When Knights were bold ...

A lady, when encountering a gentlemen that enamoured her, would drop her handkerchief hoping the said bold knight would retrieve same, acting as an introduction to sweep her off her feet to be ravished.
I think this Zero person is suggesting you are enamoured with him in some way, and has caddishly spurned your advances. It is a most cruel and public snub of the very worse kind, because in so doing he is insinuating you are a strumpet in some way.

This is merely an interpretation, not knowing the blaggard in question I may have reached the wrong conclusion.
I'm fully aware of that:)

But it would have been far better to have forced Z into explaining himself, if only you would have let him.

Pat
>> In days of old,
>> When Knights were bold ...

... and women weren't invented you mean?

I can't help feeling you do know the blackguard actually. Inside out.
>> there is one person I shall one day pluck up the courage to say exactly what I think to them:)

OO-er... all cat-hating mysogynists will be trembling in their boots. Can anyone be sure they won't be tarred with that brush? Help!

Who is the Lear impersonator I wonder? He's easier to pastiche than to match. Neurotic man and good artist. The 'nonsense rhymes' often refer in a surrealist, subliminal way to the thuggish, snobbish, repressive and sanctimonious aspects of Victorian society. The raven limerick quoted above is a case in point.
...The raven limerick quoted above...

I agree, the guy's a raven limerick.

Another one bites the dust? - Meldrew
Excellent 3 x I hour programmes on Sky Arts 2 Channel, retracing Lear's journey and consequent painting, through Greece and Albania. Each programme shown 3 times between 8th and 11th June (incl)
 Another one bites the dust? - midlifecrisis
I don't normally join in with discussions about 'this' and 'the other' site. But 'er indoors is watching some nonsense with Simon Cowell on the tv, so I clicked the link concerning the legal advisor on the HJ site. (which I haven't been on for many moons, for no other reason than time).
The link gave me a laugh out loud moment. A poster trying to tell the solicitor how to do her job (repeatedly) forcing another poster to write:

"You constantly berating an expert with more knowledge than you, ignoring clear facts and sticking to a tired argument with no foundation means you'd probably fit in very well at FIFA."

How very apt. It's not just me then!!
...A poster trying to tell the solicitor...

She is not a solicitor.

Making simple errors of fact like that qualifies you to write for the Daily Mail.

Another one bites the dust? - Dave_
I'm sticking to what my profile says: I don't get involved in the politics of C4P vs. HJ, after all it's only the internet.
Does anyone know what happened to FotheringtonTomas who last visited the forum on the 3rd of May?
...Does anyone know what happened to FotheringtonTomas who last visited the forum on the 3rd of May?...

No, but from memory he has gone on the missing list before a couple of times.

A bit like that bloke from Cornwall who is always changing his name.
Thanks Iffy :)
...Thanks Iffy :)...

No worries.

Did the house move go OK?

I'm sure lots of members would like to know.

>>Did the house move go OK?

I'm sure lots of members would like to know.<<

Yes and no, but mainly yes, thankfully - I'll have to give a full report on it all - soon!
 Another one bites the dust? - bathtub tom
>> there is one person I shall one day pluck up the courage to say exactly what I think to them:)

Perhaps she means me. I know, Ill change my monicker to summat she'll never recognise. That'll both annoy her and keep me safe. Got to go now, as my grandson's about to arrive.
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 20:40
>>Ill change my monicker to summat she'll never recognise<<

Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 20:40

:)
>> Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 20:40

Genius! I like it.
Have no fear Tubby Tommy, tisn't you!

Pat
But could it be Lewseat Len?
>>But could it be Lewseat Len?<<

Looseat Len :)
 Another one bites the dust? - bathtub tom
I only did it to highlight the fact it doesn't change your moniker in any edits. ;>)
I see carmalade's back. Welcome back carmalade :-)

Although i don't know if he pops in here, ace in the technical forum either way.
>>I only did it to highlight the fact it doesn't change your moniker in any edits<<

It does, once you've logged orf & signed in again ;>)

}:---)
Last edited by: The worlds most fabulous Dog on Fri 3 Jun 11 at 14:27
>> >>But could it be Lewseat Len?<<
>>
>> Looseat Len :)

That'll be Looseheel's brother, then.

...That'll be Looseheel's brother, then...

Don't mention Lucy, I mentioned her once and I didn't get away with it.

Well that was a bit iffy iffy. You were way out of your depth there.
...You were way out of your depth there...

Bit unlike you to fall for her 'I know best' routine - thought you were sharper.

If that guy goes to jail for perverting the course over that, I'll do the time for him.

Has to be said, he was spieling a right tale, slippery as an eel that one, he was done bang to rights.

"it was a friend of mine, lives abroad he was happy to admit it was him"

"You cant get in touch with him? oh thats strange, even stranger niether can I now - dont understand it"

yeah right.
...Has to be said, he was spieling a right tale...

Could well be, but his 'police letter' said he was to be charged with the relatively minor offence of failing to furnish.

More charges could be added before court, but it's unlikely.

And once that offence is dealt with - either guilty or not guilty - it is all but impossible for him to be charged with another offence arising from the same incident.

So if he is telling porkies, a reasonable tactic would be to accept the failure to furnish, safe in the knowledge that would be an end to it.

From an advice point of view, there is no right or wrong.

My thinking was to deal calmly with what's in front of you, Lucy's was to hit the panic button over what might happen, even though there was no indication it was going to.

Either approach is just as valid, although it's obvious which one I favour.

Another one bites the dust? - Bigtee
Why does it matter so much here if some leave and go elsewhere?

Maybe they have had enough and it's time for a change or so maybe they do want to go back to HJ let them and move this site forward not dwelling in the past.
 Another one bites the dust? - spamcan61
>> Why does it matter so much here if some leave and go elsewhere?
>>
Because, unless Dr, Khoo is funding this site purely as a hobby, it needs increasing traffic, more members and more page impressions in order to survive.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 3 Jun 11 at 15:33
 Another one bites the dust? - Bromptonaut
>> Why does it matter so much here if some leave and go elsewhere?

Provided they're replaced by others no. But the situation seems to be that regulars are going and not being replaced by new blood.
And another one.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=6627&m=147568&v=e
That was your fault.
Joint effort :)

I've taken my share of flak on here, you don't see me flouncing do you.
 Another one bites the dust? - Stuu
Pat will be after you two now, she has only just given the forum a dressing down. Me, im hiding in the supply cupboard!
I have brownie points in the bank :) This has been the best day for me on here in ages, several good topics I could get my teeth into, and a proper bit of banter to boot.

I'm going to bed now, before I dig myself in any further.
...That was your fault....

Cough, splutter.

I'm going to have to change this damn mug.

That's the second time in two days some coffee's gone down the wrong way.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 07:47
Is that Lief you're referring to? He wouldn't let it lie would he. Silly Lief.
A small award is surely due:

imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/golden_flounce.jpg

Shall we ask the mods to send it to Leif?
CGN: anyone who can make me laugh aloud without being offensive in any other way is all right in my book.

Excellent.
But Lief is perfectly all right too. I hope he hasn't stepped over the edge.
I go away for the weekend and look what you do.....

Surely you could all manage to spell Leif's name correctly.

It's EI not IE, that's what has caused the flounce:)

And Dave, I don't do Brownie points!

Pat
 Another one bites the dust? - swiss tony
>> I go away for the weekend and look what you do.....
>>
>> Surely you could all manage to spell Leif's name correctly.
>>
>> It's EI not IE, that's what has caused the flounce:)
>>

Pat, not wishing to defend Z (I have had moments with him too ) but that is a big failing of his, (look back over older posts) he either makes lots of E/I typos, or he isn't as clever as he likes us to think......
...or he does it on purpose:)

He's not getting off that easily!

Pat
I wasn't my fault - Honest.
One in, One out...
...My thinking was to deal calmly with what's in front of you, Lucy's was to hit the panic button over what might happen, even though there was no indication it was going to...

Seems as if the panic button was not the one to push in this case:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/posts/?t=91485
And you had Pat on your side!

Sounds to me like the old bill didnt bother to check the overseas drivers version! or they couldnt prove they tried.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 09:44
You know me Z, always on the side of the underdog, and I shall stand solidly beside you when it's your turn:)

Pat
You seem to have rubbed a little salt into someone's wounds over there, Pat, which surprised me. Not that it wasn't deserved. I never thought of Iffy as an underdog, by the way.

FocalPoint, formerly ChrisPeugeot
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 10:45
Me neither Chris but I had read the recent posts on there from former car4play members criticising us here.

I don't like to see the pot calling the kettle black.

Pat
>> ...My thinking was to deal calmly with what's in front of you, Lucy's was to
>> hit the panic button over what might happen, even though there was no indication it
>> was going to...
>>
>> Seems as if the panic button was not the one to push in this case:
>>
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/posts/?t=91485

I'm not so sure. As it turns out the police seem to have accepted that biloxi has done what's required. On the information available it could easily have gone another way and even the 6 points for a S172 offence are enough to loose somebody their job.

Lucy BC might well have been in breach of professional duty not to draw attention to all the possible consequnces. Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor. Even if she's only a legal clerk or paralegal she'll still have obligations (as well as experience).
>> and even the 6 points for a S172 offence are enough to loose somebody their job.

Since when has lose become loose? Fine from Zero who says he has no regard for correct spelling, but not from you again!

>> Lucy BC might well have been in breach of professional duty not to draw attention
>> to all the possible consequnces. Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor.
>>

uk.linkedin.com/pub/lucy-bonham-carter/25/22/193

en-gb.facebook.com/people/Lucy-Bonham-Carter/100001349226663

www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/witty-response-needed_topic25398.html

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2042

John,

I cannot decide if you're a real pedant or a duplicate id (AC's DC?) pulling my leg.

Either way I'm not playing.
...On the information available it could easily have gone another way...

Yes it could, but it was never going to go the perverting the course and prison way, and it's not right for someone to scare a poster without reason, particularly when that someone is described as an expert.

I think the guy had a winnable 'reasonable diligence' defence to failing to furnish, so had the charge proceeded, I would have pleaded not guilty and run that defence.

It seems someone in the police/CPS agreed he might have a decent defence, because where there is a reasonable chance of conviction, and it is in the public interest to do so, the CPS is obliged to prosecute.

The lesson we can all draw from this is keep an accurate record of any instance when someone else drives your car.

Another one bites the dust? - Manatee
>>Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor.

I can't find her on the list of solicitors with a practising certificate.
...Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor...

She's not, but she does have some legal qualifications.

Another one bites the dust? - Robin O'Reliant
>> ...Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor...
>>
She wants to be careful then, my auntie got nicked for that.
>> ...Some google responses suggest she is a solicitor...
>>
>> She's not, but she does have some legal qualifications.

That was my conclusion too. And I suspect, like me, you've seen a well organised specialist paralegal run rings round a complacent member of the professional roll.
...And I suspect, like me, you've seen a well organised specialist paralegal run rings round a complacent member of the professional roll...

Yes, that is fair comment.

But our Lucy is only kidding herself if she thinks she covered herself in glory this time.

Over-cooked it from the start, and once set on that path refused to listen to any reason.

"Over-cooked it from the start, and once set on that path refused to listen to any reason."

A sadly familiar failing of so many.

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us"
CG,

If you are good at quotes, Shakespeare - as ever - has one appropriate for this situation.

I can't find it, and certainly can't quote it, but the meaning of it is the legal profession has always been very good at making work for itself.

It's true, so often the answer is another consultation, or another hearing, or further research - all at cost to somebody, and all extra bunce for the lawyer.

The quick, simple, cost-effective solution is rarely welcome.
>> If you are good at quotes

I'm not, but I do have a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Humourous Quotations.

>> Shakespeare - as ever - has one appropriate for this situation

Dickens, Bleak House, 1853:
"The one great priniciple of the English law is, to make business for oneself."

>> The quick, simple, cost-effective solution is rarely welcome

F. Lee Bailey, Los Angeles Times, 1972:
"I get paid for seeing that my clients have every break the law allows. I have knowingly defended a number of guilty men. But the guilty never escape unscathed. My fees are sufficient punishment for anyone."
Jarndyce v Jarndyce is the one I think?
Bleak House, apart from being in my opinion one of the greatest novels written in the English Language, is a vehicle for Dickens to satirise many facets of nineteenth century British society - most notably the law, but not so much the practitioners of it as its reactionary function as a great corrupt institution and also those who attempt to use the law not for justice but for their own selfish ambitions.

Jarndyce v Jarndyce in the novel is the fictitious case (apparently not far removed from an actual case) which started before the story of the book opens and concerns a complex dispute over an inheritance. The case is viewed by the lawyers concerned as a milk cow and they draw out the case at their whim. It finally collapses without resolution when the inheritance, which has of course been financing the conduct of the case, is reduced to nothing.

Like the controversial spontaneous combustion episode elsewhere in the novel, it is one of several metaphors for a self-perpetuating situation which eventually consumes itself from within.

Here ends the (English Lit.) lesson.

FocalPoint, formerly ChrisPeugeot
Well, I've never read it and I've just whipped down the library and got a copy, so I'll be handing in my essay next week sir.
...FocalPoint, formerly ChrisPeugeot...

FocalPoint, formerly ChrisPeugeot, formerly an English teacher, if I recall.

Thanks for that Chris, I'm not much of a book reader, but I'm now tempted to have a go at Bleak House.

Oh Gawd, what have I done? They're all going out to buy and read Bleak House! It is NOT an easy read, lads. It's hellishly long and the narrative is developed from three standpoints. As an AL student once remarked, as you read the early chapters, it seems the book starts three times! And there's a lot - I mean, a lot - of characters. It's all cleverly linked, but you'll need determination and patience.

Don't blame me if you don't like it. As for handing in an essay next week, whoever said that, I'll be impressed if you've even finished reading it by then.

If you do, your next challenge is Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 17:11
 Another one bites the dust? - Focusless
>> They're all going out to buy and read Bleak House!

No need to buy: tinyurl.com/6aa8asm (Google books)
"your next challenge is Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad."

Avoid light house keepers.
 Another one bites the dust? - Roger.
Even better, try Ulysses by James Joyce.
That really will fry your brain cells!
>> Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad.

Thought by many to be his greatest, and he was a great writer in his sour, scornful way. It's about British and US capitalist/imperialist expansion in Central America. His other widely admired work, The Heart of Darkness, seems to me flawed somehow, morally muddy. Far more incisive and correctly angled, on the same theme of Belgian exploitation of the Congo which Conrad had witnessed at close quarters, is the novella or long short story An Outpost of Progress. I would recommend that to anyone.

And pursuing the theme of genocidal imperialism by thuggish white men, the great modern American novelist Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian is absolutely superb, if you can stomach it.

Dickens was much admired by Russian and other revolutionaries and is of course awfully good, but not a real favourite of mine. Thackeray's Vanity Fair, a bit earlier, seems to me more subversive really. Thackeray is very good on morally ambiguous or bad characters but gets a bit syrupy, like Dickens at his worst, when dealing with innocent maidens and the like.

Henry Fielding's Tom Jones is pretty rollicking stuff, earlier still of course. It's a bit reactionary but most fiction is when you really analyse it.
When I was young Americans were always talking about the Great American Novel and wondering when it would be written.

There are several contenders but Herman Melville's Moby Dick is the GAN so far in my opinion.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 20:05
And a great film, superb cast, and pretty faithful to the book. The scene where Orsen Wells delivers the Father Mapple sermon from the whalers chapel is spellbinding.
It is a good film Zeddo. But it doesn't have all the scientific stuff about whales. The novel was a sort of super-modern effort for its day.
And of course without Moby Dick we wouldn't have all those coffee shops. Named after Starbuck one of the one of the mates in the novel.
Somehow I would have preferred to get my Coffee at a branch of Queequeg
Somehow I would have preferred to get my Coffee at a branch of Queequeg

Heh heh...

... hang on, isn't that the Nissan box that's going to be made here keeping 9,000 jobs going, hooray, with Humph first in the queue for the latest facelift version?
..."My fees are sufficient punishment for anyone."...

I was chatting to a Queen's Counsel (QC) during a break in proceedings.

He had come up from London to defend a student in an assault case - very small beer for a QC.

Teasing him gently, I said: "Your client's family must be very wealthy to be able to afford a man of your calibre."

"They are loaded," he replied. "But they won't be by the time I've finished with them."

He knew he was talking to a journalist, albeit informally, but on any view it was a risky remark.

It sums up the best QCs - supremely confident and sharp as tacks.

i wont hoold my breathe waiting for lucy to say she was wrong as of course she will say she wasnt wrong etc. makes her look ridiculous i fear now.
...makes her look ridiculous i fear now...

Nick,

Can't disagree.

The daft thing is I defended her - or at least her right to offer the service - on another forum a few months ago.

I got flamed big-style, including giant pictures of trolls and abuse to my forum private message box.

Seems they were right, so we all make mistakes.

You called it best with your remark about scaring the punters into signing up.

Latest Forum Posts