Non-motoring > Finding money Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 53

Finding money - Iffy
Does anyone have any stories about finding money?

Mine was a few years ago when I used Newcastle Central railway station for a few days one week.

During that time I found a tenner, and either two or three fivers, on the platform and concourse.

I came to almost expect my little bonus, and on the last day, I was disappointed not to find any money.

What money have you found?

Finding money - bathtub tom
I bought a car and the first time I gave it a good clean I found thirty-odd quid in a money bag tucked in the fold between the passenger seat squab and backrest.

As it had acquired a dent between me agreeing to buy it and collecting it, which the seller insisted was always there, I decided to keep the money. I suppose it could've belonged to any of the previous owners.
 Finding money - Mike Hannon
We were in a secondhand shop in the West Country 10 years ago and I was looking at a Bang and Olufsen hifi when SWMBO tapped me on the shoulder and said 'I've just bought this book, let's go - NOW. When we got back in the car she showed me the (substantial hardback) book 'Collected Short Stories of Somerset Maugham' (which we still have), opened it up and 200 quid in brand new tenners fell out.
She still thinks the money was hidden by the book's elderly original owner, it turned up in the shop after a house clearance and not many people still cared enough about Somerset Maugham to look at it.
I still think we messed up a drugs money transfer.
Needless to say, we never returned to the shop and now it's gone...

Our XJS used to belong to a millionaire businessman. All the money I ever found in it, in spite of an exhaustive search, was 30p.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 31 May 11 at 14:55
 Finding money - BobbyG
>>I still think we messed up a drugs money transfer.

Mike, don't be too surprised if you did.

We think we may have had an issue in one of our shops in relation to money being placed in jacket pockets to be retrieved later.
 Finding money - Cliff Pope
£200 in a secondhand chest of drawers.

I once retrieved an old-fashioned safe from a dump. I eventually managed to break in through the back, and found one old shilling.
 Finding money - Clk Sec
>>It was mine (From another thread)

Not any more.

Actually I've been quite lucky finding money. The first I can remember was a £1 note in a country lane when I was about twelve, and being an honest youngster I took this straight to the local police station and was informed that it would be mine if not claimed within three months. But, unfortunately, this vast amount, which represented about 8 weeks pocket money at that time, was claimed by some rotter who didn't even leave a thank you note.

More recently, I found a very soiled tenner in a shrub in the front garden of my house shortly after moving in. It had clearly been there for some considerable time, and caused a raised eyebrow or two when I paid it into my bank account.

Being a keen jogger and walker I frequently find loose change on pavements. Last year I picked up six £1 coins that were just a few feet apart.

I wonder if I'll be lucky today?
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 31 May 11 at 14:56
 Finding money - helicopter
I once found a purse with around £40 in it at a bus stop in and handed it in to the local nick , no-one claimed it and three months later I got the money.

I also was parking my car one evening last year having found a space which another car had just vacated . I parked up and found a wallet with cash and cards in the gutter which had been dropped by the previous car driver. I opened it up, found his drivers licence , got a name and a phone number and phoned his house and spoke to his missus to tell her it was safe before he even knew it was missing........
 Finding money - Mapmaker
I walk past a parade of shops every morning and am generally disappointed not to find a penny at least. Inner city school children are clearly (or feel) wealthier than I do!
 Finding money - Dog
I had an old table that was going to go with some other stuff to one of these house clearance merchants,

I said "do you want to take this old table m8, or shall I take it down the tip"?

He didn't want it so a few days later I was sort of looking at said table, and something made me look underneath (this was 15 years ago btw) and low and behold it had a false bottom!

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

£18k ... I kid you not.
 Finding money - Stuu
Clearing out the eaves at my grandparents house, nearly £10k in cash in a paper bag stuffed between the roof and a beam.

My nan didnt know it was there, but she knew where it was from.
 Finding money - RattleandSmoke
Found £70 in a wallet once, I handed it to the police.

I've found the odd tenner or five but it is extremely rare. I think more people have found my lost money than I have found theirs.

Finding money - devonite
£650 - rolled up, fastened with an elastic band in a nightclub, kicked something whilst pushing my way through the crowd on my way to the toilets, thought nothing of it at the time!

About half an hour later (as i was stood at the bar) i trod on something, when i looked down there it was again! so I bent down and picked it up, straight away I knew what is was! and, where it had come from! - it was the nights takings from the local drug-pusher who was also stationed by the toilet doors.

Needless to say, I kept £100 for my trouble, and donated the rest to the NW Air Ambulance!
Did i feel like a thief or guilty? - Nah! serves them right!
You are very very very brave :). It is just a good job he didn't see you do it, or you might be in a wheel chair now.

Finding money - devonite
was quite dark and crowded, so i had no worries! - I often wonder if he was panicking when he couldn`t find it, and had the prospect of telling his Baron! - makes me smile!
Certainly the best punishment you could ever give a drug pusher :).
 Finding money - Armel Coussine
We know where you live devonite. You can have 24 hours to find the 650 and of course the vig. Let's call it a round ten grand. The Hulk and the Gimp will be coming round at tea time tomorrow.

The Hulk likes Earl Grey with a bit of lemon. The Gimp doesn't drink tea and will have his own special mixture in a sealed and insulated high-pressure flask.

Don't pretend to be out or away. It will only annoy them. And they can be quite stern when annoyed.
 Finding money - devonite
;-) The Hovel Hostess will be waiting! - poor brave fellas!
 Finding money - R.P.
Found a £20.00 Bank of Scotland note in a copy of Seven Years in Tibet I bought from E-Bay. Found a tenner in Plymouth - Being the honest sort I reported the find to a patrolling PCSO - who seemed to be at a lost of how to deal with the simplest of tasks. Eventually he made a note of my name and phone number.

Found a 20 Euro note by the Thiepvel Memorial a couple of years ago...kept that, bought beer with it..!
 Finding money - Jacks
Some years ago - pre mobile phones - I popped into a phone box with my 2 sons to make a call and noticed a purse someone had left behind. I opened it up - didn't count it but clearly over £100 in it but no address, bank cards or ID.
I gave the kids a stern lecture about not keeping things that don't belong to you
and set off to find the Police Station.
A long walk followed by an even longer wait at the station followed by forms etc.
and left my contact details as requested by the PC.

I never heard anything more.

I'd like to think that the owner had reclaimed it but wondered at the time why someone would have claimed it but not bothered to make a quick call just to say thanks.

J
 Finding money - madf
In my running and walking I always find money. Put it in our charity box. Last year c £11, prior £16.
One day I found a half burnt tenner (coke) .. and another day £7-35 in change..

Winter is best...people can't see...
I went to use a payphone, an 'Oakham' IIRC, but I had a problem. It seemed like the coin slots were a little sticky, so I gave it a hefty slap. It was like winning the jackpot on a fruit machine. I guess some scrote had wedged something up the coin return slot and I'd dislodged it.

I was in a dodgy position, as I knew they were fitted with anti-tamper type switches. As an employee I'd have difficulty explaining that away if I'd been caught.
 Finding money - Duncan
I work as a steward at a professional rugby club. Almost every week, we find, or get handed a wallet, normally bulging with money and credit cards. The owner always gets it back.
 Finding money - Crankcase
>>The owner always gets it back.

At that rate he'll be able to buy another rugby club.
 Finding money - Iffy
I wonder what you'd do with a casually found tenner, Crankcase?

A little treat such as a bottle of wine to go with dinner, or a box of chocs for the missus?

No chance - it would be £10 off the mortgage.

Exactly so. Don't drink wine or eat chocolates. Easy one that. Next!
 Finding money - MrTee43
Quite a few years ago, the brother of a friend had bought a house where the previous occupant had died (of old age).

There was quite a lot of junk left including an old free standing cooker with an eye level grill. the cooker was not wanted so was put out in the garden awaiting disposal. Now usually he had a works van and would normally have just taken it in one piece down to the tip, but on this occasion all he had was his estate car.

Being too big and and heavy to get it into the car, he decided to take it to bits as much as he could.

Concealed in the space between the outer cover and the eye level grill was......................

£8000.
 Finding money - movilogo
I once found a £20 note on a footpath (I was the only one walking there at that time).

Took it home :-)
 Finding money - Jacks
>> Quite a few years ago, the brother of a friend had bought a house where
>> the previous occupant had died (of old age).
>>
>> There was quite a lot of junk left including an old free standing cooker
>> Concealed in the space between the outer cover and the eye level grill was......................

>>
>> £8000.
>>
Oh - so quite easily resolved by your brother's friend then?

All he had to do was contact the Executor of the estate of the person who had died through the solicitor handling the conveyance and return the money to the deceased relatives.

So annoying when you find money and can't trace the owner !

I don't know why old people stash money like this - My mother used banks, had ISA's, deposit accounts etc yet still had £6000 in cash stashed in her bungalow at the time of her death. Fortunately one of my sisters knew where it was hidden and was able to retrieve it when clearing the house.

J
 Finding money - Iffy
...yet still had £6000 in cash stashed in her bungalow at the time of her death...

A friend of mine found about £11,000 in his mother's bungalow after she died.

She had been all but housebound for a couple of years, and always asked her son to collect her pension in cash.

He knew she probably had not spent all the money, so there ought to be some somewhere, but he was still surprised at the amount.

Finding money - Focusless
On a slightly smaller scale, thankfully the person who found my £10 cash-back which I left in the self-service till at Asda on Tuesday evening handed it in; I've just picked it up. But then I would have (and have) done the same - do as you would be done by.
 Finding money - BiggerBadderDave
Found a fiver on the way home from Hyde precinct on my Racer in the late 70s early 80s and immediately turned round, went to the record shop and bought Parallel Lines for £4.99.
 Finding money - Pat
White Lines may have been more appropriate Dave.

Pat
Yeah, but not for a fiver unfortunately Pat.
 Finding money - Iffy
...Yeah, but not for a fiver unfortunately Pat...

A fiver might have got you sorted in the late 70s, I don't know.

A tenner would today in the North East.

Perhaps prices have come down.

Finding money - Dave_
>> Found a fiver on the way home from Hyde precinct on my Racer in the late 70s early 80s

Around the mid 80s when they'd just introduced coin-operated locks on supermarket trolleys I used to spend many an evening buzzing around Letchworth town centre on my Chopper retrieving Sainsbury's trolleys and cashing in the 20p's... Used to collect 8-10 trolleys every night for months until they switched to £1 coins and people started taking them back :(
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 19:01
Those at our local LIDL used to be conned by a 1P coin.

I always made sure I never gave someone else a quid for their trolley.
 Finding money - R.P.
I had a pound coin Superglued to the floor of one of my offices, endless minutes of fun ! :-)
 Finding money - rtj70
>> I had a pound coin Superglued to the floor of one of my offices

Offices eh... Your offices ;-)
 Finding money - R.P.
Yes as in more than one ! :-) Not any more though....I'm pleased to say.
 Finding money - Iffy
...I had a pound coin Superglued to the floor of one of my offices...

When I was at school one or two of the boys would heat a coin with a lighter, and drop the coin on the floor in the hope someone would pick it up and burn their fingers.

Oh, how we laughed when someone did.

Finding money - R.P.
My grandmother used to encourage me to put old style Pennies on railway tracks to squash them, personally I thought it was a cunning plan for me to meet with an "accident"
 Finding money - Iffy
...used to encourage me to put old style Pennies on railway tracks to squash them...

Yes, and it was an offence at one time.

I say 'at one time', because something rings a bell about it being abolished.

Finding money - R.P.
Probably treason or some such nonsense...! :-)
 Finding money - Iffy
...Probably treason or some such nonsense...

Treason and arson in Her Majesty's dockyard were the last offences to carry the death penalty, but I think that's been abolished, too.

Back to coins, I was at a tourist attraction - might have been a railway - where they had a machine into which you could feed a coin to be flattened/embossed to make a souvenir.

You put 2p in to be pulverised and 50p to pay for it.

>> Treason and arson in Her Majesty's dockyard were the last offences to carry the death
>> penalty, but I think that's been abolished, too.

Ah, criminals today don't know they're born.

Just been reading about a 13th century transgressor who was sentenced to burning until not quite dead, then hanging until not quite dead, then disembowelling until not quite dead, then dragged behind a horse to a place of execution where his head was chopped off. English justice at its best.

And you tell that to the young people of today...
 Finding money - CGNorwich
He shouldn't have left his cart on a double yellow line then should he?
 Finding money - Focusless
>> Just been reading about a 13th century transgressor who was sentenced to burning until not
>> quite dead, then hanging until not quite dead, then disembowelling until not quite dead, then
>> dragged behind a horse to a place of execution where his head was chopped off.

Ah but did he re-offend?
 Finding money - Iffy
...Ah but did he re-offend?...

Only in the after-life.

Finding money - Duncan
>> Treason and arson in Her Majesty's dockyard were the last offences to carry the death
>> penalty, but I think that's been abolished, too.
>>
>>

I understood carnal knowledge of the monarch is/was a capital offence.

Quite right too, of course!
"I understood carnal knowledge of the monarch is/was a capital offence."

I wouldn't do the queen, or Camilla.

But I'd do Fergie all day long. She'd be a hoot. Big, bouncy, freckled red-head. Yes ma'am.
 Finding money - sherlock47
"I understood carnal knowledge of the monarch is/was a capital offence."

So the greek could have been in trouble? or are spouses exempt?
 Finding money - Dog
>>But I'd do Fergie all day long. She'd be a hoot. Big, bouncy, freckled red-head. Yes ma'am<<

But - you might end up with a royal flush, if you 'went' with her!
 Finding money - devonite
I always thought it was an offence to deface anything with `er Maj`s mugshot on it!

And in my days we used to collect and return pop bottles - there was 3d back on them!
 Finding money - Clk Sec
>> ...used to encourage me to put old style Pennies on railway tracks to squash them...
>>
>> Yes, and it was an offence at one time.

As a child I was told that it could derail a train! An old wives' tale to keep us away from the tracks.
Latest Forum Posts