Non-motoring > They're at it again ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 42

They're at it again ! - Ted

Got this EMail when I checked my messages this morning.

Dear Customer,
You have 2 new important message.

This was due to you account limit been overdrawn by 1232.98.

If you feel this message has been sent to you in an error.

Go to your online account and check your current balance(s) for your account(s)

Login to Personal Banking.

Best Regards

Hsbc Bank Plc Statement Department

*Please do not reply to this email as your reply will not be received*.

Good innit ? Just the HSBC Logo at the top. Nearly tempted me to send them a cheque to clear it off.....not !
I don't think I've seen a more amateurish attempt !
I've never had an account with HSBC. Reported it as Phishing.

Ted
 They're at it again ! - Focusless
You only get one occasionally? I get a few from various banks I've never had dealings with most days, although they go straight into my Gmail spam folder so no big deal.
 They're at it again ! - Biggles
The HSBC spam I receive is a direct result of a security lapse by the creators of this site who now seem to be sending out their own spam.
 They're at it again ! - captain grimes
You are so right, Biggles - thankfully it's only an occasional phish, and doesn't seem to have put me on other spam lists (touches wood).
 They're at it again ! - FotheringtonTomas
How? I haven't seen any.

WRT HSBC I've got a:

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:39 PM ( 2 hours 58 mins ago )

Important Notification! Account Overdraft Limit Exceeded

Dear Customer,
You have 2 new important message.
This was due to you account limit been overdrawn by 1232.98.
If you feel this message has been sent to you in an error.
Go to your online account and check your current balance(s) for your account(s)
Login to Personal Banking.
Best Regards
Hsbc Bank Plc Statement Department
*Please do not reply to this email as your reply will not be received*

Link is kip-rogers.com/images/verify-v1.php
--->acnetrouble.info/images/IBlogin.html
 They're at it again ! - car4play
>> The HSBC spam I receive is a direct result of a security lapse by the
>> creators of this site who now seem to be sending out their own spam.

Sorry, that's a really big assumption. Why would we want to send out spam to the very people that make this site work. That would be like depositing rubbish in your own house!

After the attacks we had on our servers at HJ we put notification alerts when this kind of thing is attempted. At HJ we had maybe 10 of these alerts a day. That's because it's a really busy high profile site. Here we haven't had any alerts yet.

The other thing is that two of us here at KSL have used new email accounts for our main use of C4P. We also have a few test accounts on the system. None of these have had spam.

I did get the HSBC phishing email on my main email address - the same one as was registered on HJ, but that one gets loads of spam anyway and our mail provider is pretty good at eliminating 90% of it.
There are other ways that an email account can be harvested. So it doesn't have to follow that if an account is used only on here that it must be this site that has released the address. e.g. viruses, trojans etc can do this.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for us to maintain the integrity of our system and the storage of your information. If users can't trust us they won't use us. Hence hashed passwords, emails on a need to know basis, automatic logging of attacks, automatic blocking of persistent attempts and so on. I will not go as far as to say we are completely safe as no one is, but we do our best. It's in all of our interests.
 They're at it again ! - Biggles
>Sorry, that's a really big assumption.

So this email didn't originate from you?

Wondered where the regular Backroomers of the Honesjohn site have gone. Try www.car4play.com

If you're passionate about your car, then you should come and join us.

www.car4play.com

ps, don't mention you received an email telling you about car4play when you join - thanks

They're at it again ! - car4play
Ah! see what you mean now.

>> So this email didn't originate from you?

No.

My assumption was that some folk on here had contacted the ones they knew directly.
Last edited by: car4play on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 11:52
They're *always* at it!
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 10:33
 They're at it again ! - crocks
What a co-incidence Ted. I seem to be overdrawn by exactly the same amount this morning !!!

These emails seem to have slowed down a bit since the initial flurry but some were more amateurish than this one. Some couldn't even spell the name of the bank right.
>> What a co-incidence Ted. I seem to be overdrawn by exactly the same amount this
>> morning !!!

I have checked several other e-mail addresses I use.

o - The account at "OrganisationX" that I registered with here at Car4play has this phishing message.

o - Two other accounts I use at "OrganisationX" have not received this message.

o - Further accounts at OrgA and OrgB have not received it, either.

Has there been a leak from Car4play?
 They're at it again ! - Iffy
...Has there been a leak from Car4play?...

I have the same 'bank' email as everyone else, and I've noticed Hotmail's junk filter has never been so busy since I joined Car4play.

Based on that evidence, my answer to the question would be: "Yes."

They're at it again ! - VxFan
>> ...Has there been a leak from Car4play?...
>>
>> I have the same 'bank' email as everyone else and I've noticed Hotmail's junk filter
>> has never been so busy since I joined Car4play.
>>
>> Based on that evidence my answer to the question would be: "Yes."

Did you use the same email address on HJ?

I had 3 email addresses registered on there (my main mod one, and a couple of others for test purposes when things went wrong and had to log in as non mods) and each one regularly receives the HSBC email. After the hackers got in, myself and a couple of the other administrators registered new email addresses on HJ. To this date that email address hasn't received any emails other than the validation one to register the account on HJ.

If you did have the same email address on HJ as on C4P, then I strongly suspect the spammer(s) got your details from there when they were attacked. The two email addresses I have registered on C4P haven't yet received any spam.

If in any doubt, change your email address that you used to register on this site (by clicking on "My Settings" and following the menus).
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 12:59
 They're at it again ! - Focusless
>> Has there been a leak from Car4play?

I haven't noticed it get any worse, although I don't monitor it that closely.
 They're at it again ! - sherlock47
I would also question wheter itis a 'leak' from here.

The mail address that I have registered here has had almost zero random spam for the last 3 months - until today - the same HSBC email!

However I do use the same email for the HJ site - anybody else using the same on both?
 They're at it again ! - captain grimes

>> However I do use the same email for the HJ site - anybody else using
>> the same on both?

I get this occasional "HSBC" phishing spam on the email address I originally used for HJ until the "hacking" episode. I note that my Car4Play (already spammed) webmail has also received the "HSBC" spam.
The only conclusion I draw is that They're Always At It - use Hotmail or similar to log onto forums.
 They're at it again ! - RattleandSmoke
I use the same email address again. All passwords on this site should be encrypted using an MD5 hash or similar so it will be very difficult to get peoples passwords from this forum if it was hacked into.

Something has probably been hacked into though. I have no doubt that this email has come from either HJ or this site.
 They're at it again ! - -
I've been getting these for years too, though not for much longer, when my $8m clear profit comes through from Dr Unmbok Wilson 'dear one' i'm off to where there's no internet or cars only dusky maidens, so i'll bid you all farewell should be in my bank by the weekend....wahay..;)
 They're at it again ! - ....
What is Dr Wilson's handling fee now ?
>> What is Dr Wilson's handling fee now ?
>>
As i recall 20%, sorry can't stop taxi's here and the maidens are waiting....
Ted I got exactly the same email. I did some investigation and found a music tutor is actually hosting the phishing link. It looks like his website has been hacked into.

I have a lot of customers and not one as far as I know have ever fallen victim to this scam. A few have nearly fallen for those fake virus programs though!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 12:01
 They're at it again ! - Fenlander
Would I be right in thinking those receiving the HSBC scam mail are also ones that were invited here by e.mail???
>> those receiving the HSBC scam mail (..) were invited here by e.mail???

Not me - I've only had the "Welcome to the Car4play Forum" message generated on subscription.
Some people were invited by certain members of this new site. It would have been from a human not from the server. I was invited if that helps but the person who 'invited' me was in my contacts anyway.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 12:17
 They're at it again ! - bathtub tom
I don't appear to have received the scam mail and I was invited here by email, but not the one referred to above. Mine came from the hotmail account.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 12:25
 They're at it again ! - bathtub tom
I lied.

It's in my spam - I never usually go there.
 They're at it again ! - Ted

>> As i recall 20% sorry can't stop taxi's here and the maidens are waiting....
>>
Where on earth do you find a maiden round your way GB ?

Ted

>> Where on earth do you find a maiden round your way GB ?
>>

Sorry Ted can't talk now, the plane's about to take off and my $8m less 20% will soon be mine all mine...palm trees, dusky maidens in grass skirts, a life of ease from now on, glad i took 'dearest one' Dr Wilson up his offer.
Edit: Oh. Sorry, I thought you said "midden".
 They're at it again ! - borasport
the HSBC spam is pretty universal - I get it at work and home (neither addresses used here) and other people at work who've never been anywhere near this site get it fairly regularly

nb the spam trap at work generates -
FILE QUARANTINED
----------------

Microsoft Antigen for Exchange removed a file since it was found to be infected.
File name: "Body of Message"
Virus name: "Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen"
 They're at it again ! - Zero
you guys dont understand how spam works do you.

You take a known host. Say Hotmail.com. Then you use bots (machines taken over to generate spam emails) to generate all known combinations of first and last names.

The only way you wont get a spam email is by generating a fairly random name.

And the email address i use to join this site, didnt get that Spam email (its pretty random name as the mods will tell you)

It didnt come from this site.
 They're at it again ! - Pat
I use the same open email address on this site and HJ but I haven't had that email.

Pat
 They're at it again ! - Screwloose
Pat

So sorry to hear that - would you like me to forward it to you...?
 They're at it again ! - smokie
..and on top of what Zero says, some actually used to go to the bother of recognising that they have found a valid address when they didn't get a bounce back from the mail server (User not know), and persist on that address.

I always chuckled at my mate who replied to spammers asking them to remove him from their list.

We almost did some work a while back with one of the low/mid-range internet providers. They received tens of millions of known spam messages a day - many multiples of the volume of "real" mail. Their edge servers also spent much much more time resisting attacks from potential intruders than dealing with internet traffic. The figures were really quite scary, even for those of us in the business.
 They're at it again ! - Bromptonaut
Strange innit, I'm also overdrawn by £1232.98. I once banked with the Midland, but long before they became HSBC & when Internet banking wasn't even a dream.

It does seem a co-incidence that so many users of this site/ex HJers' have got the HSBC thingy. My email address is in the form foremame@bromptonuser.isp.co.uk. Neither Mrs B, either of the teenage Bromps or randomforename@bromptonuser etc have heard from HSBC today.

But all that shows is that the spammers have the virtual equivalent of my postal address. I use a password on sites like this, where the worst that could happen is an offensive message being posted in my name. Banking or sites where my payment details are stored get proportionate treatment with differnt passwords and login names. My employer insists that logins for the corporate network contain an eclectic mix of alpha/numeric/capital and special characters with passwords change every few weeks and repetition prohibited.

In other words, if you've been sensible about security even if this site has been compromised you should have nothing to fear.
 They're at it again ! - MD
Nil mail here.
 They're at it again ! - swiss tony
The email addy I used here is clean, but i regularly get 'HSBC' and other 'bank' Emails on some of my other addys.. (I have a few ;-) )
funniest thing which goes to prove the WebBot's are out there is when I opened up a 'saucy' named account, and within 2 minutes of opening the junk box had manhood enhancement mail in it......... I hadnt used the address at that point!
 They're at it again ! - rtj70
My email address on both sites is the same. I have had none of these emails. Interpret that as you will but my email address on the HJ site has been the same for about 7 years. And the same one since this forum opened.

Maybe there is another leak for members and nothing to do with either site!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 00:44
 They're at it again ! - hjd
Exactly the same for me, and no HSBC email.
I never had any invitational emails re this site - I found it all by myself (awaits round of applause).
I do get plenty of bank spam, but not that one.
 They're at it again ! - Iffy
...I use a password on sites like this, where the worst that could happen is an offensive message being posted in my name...

That is true, which is why I'm not too bothered.

I've only had my own internet access and email for a couple of years and have only one email account, which keeps things simple.

All my passwords are different, which is not so simple, but I don't see any alternative.

They're at it again ! - Duncan
>> >> And the email address i use to join this site didnt get that Spam email
>> (its pretty random name as the mods will tell you)
>>
>>

Weird, was the word the mods used when referring to it!
 They're at it again ! - Roger.
I use Thunderbird as my email client BUT - and it's a big BUT - I use Gmail's own POP & SMTP servers to access my email accounts, bypassing completely the servers used by my ISP, (Telefonica de España).
Gmail is, as far as I know, the only free webmail service which allows access such as this, via their own SSL servers, to users.
Gmail's spam filter is the best I have ever come across, which is why I am happy for my Gmail address to be openly published on any forum to which I subscribe.
As I write this there are over 160 messages in my Gmail spam folder, none of which, of course have been downloaded to my Thunderbird client on my laptop.
The other benefit is that all your mail is, subject to your setting up things correctly, kept on Gmails servers as a back-up should your local client have problems, such as a fatal error crash or re-install.
I haven't a clue where the hsbc emails gone, possibly into spam with 400 others sitting there.
I've had 18 emails in the last 24 hours, 6 of them wishing me to either send my details to a bank i have no dealings with or to receive various amounts of mony, the best of which is twelve million british pounds from Lt General Peter Olu.
I haven't got a clue just how many went automatically straight into the bin in this time.
Oh by the way 11 of the other 12 wanted to sell me something too.
Latest Forum Posts