Non-motoring > Anyone surprised ? Car Deals
Thread Author: .... Replies: 24

Anyone surprised ? - ....
FIFA ethics committee clears its boss.

He then orders a full investigation into the one runner against him in the election Thursday this week and his mate Jack Warner.

I'd hate to be a painter and decorator in Switzerland, whitewash must be on 6 months back order.
Just to clarify, he was only brought into question two days ago:
tinyurl.com/3hpxauy - link to the forums favourite organ (keyboard has gone in the bin).

Mods please change the title to "FIFA: Blatter cleared - anyone surprised ?"
 Anyone surprised ? - Stuartli
Such matters have been going on a long time:

tinyurl.com/3vmqh7c

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepp_Blatter

tinyurl.com/3rmlwcy

tinyurl.com/yl5mmrm

FIFA is becoming a worldwide joke.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 29 May 11 at 20:44
I've read the book Foul! by Andrew Jennings (which is funnily enough banned in Switzerland).

What surprises me is it takes months to do an investigation into MP's expenses and yet the president of FIFA, a global organisation, can be brought into question on Friday and cleared on Sunday. Some slackers working on the MP review or...
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 29 May 11 at 20:50
 Anyone surprised ? - Iffy
...FIFA is becoming a worldwide joke...

Certainly is.

I see Bin Hammam and Warner are now suspended.

Blatter marches on, presumably.

Someone on 5Live said the English FA, rather than abstaining from the election, could possibly nick it by putting up a clean, corruption busting candidate.

Seems like a good idea to me.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13590264.stm
>>..could possibly nick it by putting up a clean, corruption busting candidate.>>

That presumably rules out the red-haired Welsh wonder then, who slipped and fell into the sea in the early 1990s...:-)
>>Some slackers working on the MP review or... >>

Probably because there are more than 600 MPs.......:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 29 May 11 at 21:13
>> >>Some slackers working on the MP review or... >>
>>
>> Probably because there are more than 600 MPs.......:-)
>>
They only work on a small island at the edge of an Ocean, not a global corp.
>>They only work on a small island at the edge of an Ocean, not a global corp.>>

The logistics and checks involved with such expense claims must have been pretty daunting.
Unlike the checks at FIFA - hey what's in a spelling mistake ?
 Anyone surprised ? - madf
Who cares?
It's only football..
>> Who cares?
>> It's only football..
>>
Maybe you should. It's not ALL privately funded !
 Anyone surprised ? - R.P.
So the guys from Panorama were right all along....they were vilified at the time of England's attempt to get 2018.
....they were vilified at the time of England's attempt to get 2018...

It's tough being at the cutting edge of investigative journalism - so I'm told.

Anyone surprised ? - rtj70
If they were wrong on 2018.... speculation on 2022?

I hope the sponsors all vanish and make 2022 (and 2018) a problem to be honest. :-)
...I hope the sponsors all vanish...

Most commentators agree the sponsors are the only people FIFA will listen to.

Extraordinary organisation, that's for sure.

Anyone surprised ? - Armel Coussine
This country invented football and thinks it should still have some say. But it's outnumbered, outvoted and outmanoeuvred by other places which are hungrier, nastier, better at football and better at knowing who to bribe and how much.

That's about the size of it I think. Oh yes, the FA: what do these letters stand for one wonders? Fornicating fundaments perhaps. Of all the moronic bunches of stupid, corrupt donkeys on earth the FA takes first prize. Or so I gather from skimming between the lines in the paper. I believe it too.
I thought the FA chairman David Bernstein didn't do a bad job at the FIFA meeting.

He was the only guy prepared to stand up and say: "This isn't right."

He got dog's abuse for it - which he would have known was going to happen.

The chairmen from all the other countries were too frightened to say anything.

Anyone surprised ? - Armel Coussine
>> The chairmen from all the other countries were too frightened to say anything.

Frightened be damned. They were too busy stashing wads of pesos, rupees, riyals and so on in the pockets of their horrible suits.

I have nothing against Bernstein. Hardly even know who he is. But the FA sent the PM and Prince Thing to beg for the next world cup when its members, so it is said, knew exactly what was going to happen when voting time came round.

Bunch of damn wallies, passing wind and jumping on secretaries in Soho Square of all places. And smoking cigars and flashing their ill-gotten wads.

Sometimes football players look pretty louche, thuggish and moronic. But they are put in the shade by the people who own and run them.
 Anyone surprised ? - Focusless
Great typically understated headline on the front of The Sun earlier in the week - pictures of Blatter and Gadaffi with the headline 'Despot the difference' :)
 Anyone surprised ? - madf
The FA have no credibility.. and for them to criticise FIFA when they can't put their own house in order is just....

And read this as well..
Remember the broken promises..?
www.prostamerika.com/2010/12/09/english-mp-speaks-out-against-fa-and-hypocrisy-33492/

And it appears England has no supporters even amongst its OWN members..

"While Bernstein and the FA were attacked throughout the day there was not a single word of support, or even from the former President of the FA and member of the Executive Committee of Fifa Geoff Thompson, who gave a five minute speech that began, “Dear friends”.

Thompson, who publicly supported Blatter in the vote despite the decision by the FA to refrain, resigned in the Executive Committee of Fifa yesterday after four years, their legacy a world supply permanent and humiliated England at a record low."
www.soccacritics.com/2011/06/02/fa-exposed-as-sepp-blatter-cruises-to-victory-in-the-presidential-election-of-fifa/

The best thing the FA could do is shut up and run themselves properly. That will take - at present rates of progress - about 50 years..

And IF the FA were going to stand and oppose Blatter , they should have had a campaign lasting months rather than 1 day.

Bunch of incompetents trying to tell another bunch what to do..

Anyone surprised ? - Zero
The English FA are just as bad as FiFa, in so many ways, but without the same amount of money to lash about. The Scottish FA is no better, ask them why we have no national football team in the Olympic games.
Bernstein did have some support at the meeting, but most were either too frightened or too cosy with Blatter to show it.

This quote from the BBC's David Bond gives the voting figures:

"But the vote told a slightly different story. 17 countries backed England's call and another 17 abstained meaning 34 countries - or around 16 per cent of the eligible nations (206) - were expressing some doubts about this election."

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2011/06/third_time_unlucky_for_england.html

Anyone surprised ? - Focusless
Henry Winter in the Telegraph yesterday said Bernstein's a nice bloke and all that but his 'stunning naivety brought predictable humiliation in Fifa election':
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/8551503/FA-chairman-David-Bernsteins-stunning-naivety-brought-predictable-humiliation-in-Fifa-election.html

He also said that it would have been 16 countries had Vietnam not made a mistake.
I doubt Bernstein is a naive man.

I give him a bit of credit and think he knew what the reaction would be, but thought someone had to say something.

There are rare occasions when people in powerful positions do a thing simply because they believe it's the right thing to do.

Latest Forum Posts