Non-motoring > The News of the World does something right Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 15

The News of the World does something right - Iffy
Two people have been locked up for trying to sell a baby - thanks to an investigation by the News of the Word.

The paper's had some stick recently, quite rightly.

But they've always been good at this type of story, so a bit of praise where it's due.

Even the copper in the case is bigging them up:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13577200
 The News of the World does something right - -
Said it before, just because some of them struggle up onto their hind legs and walk uprightish doesn't make them fit to be called humans.

Well done all involved, little short of dozens of years in link would satisfy me but the sentences given better than nowt.
 The News of the World does something right - Bromptonaut
A far better cause than this week's activity report for a footballer's willie.

OTOH were risks to the child fully balanced against the best pesentation of the story.
...OTOH were risks to the child fully balanced against the best pesentation of the story...

Likely the story would not have run until the two people were nicked and the child was in the safe hands of, er, social workers.

It should also be observed the social workers also did something right.

The News of the World does something right - R.P.
It should also be observed the social workers also did something right.

Thousands of Social Workers do most things right every day, some of them are quite good at what they do despite being on huge wages and with copper bottomed pensions (not).
 The News of the World does something right - Ted
>> A far better cause than this week's activity report for a footballer's willie.
>>

This one ?

tinyurl.com/3zscd75

Ted
 The News of the World does something right - Leif
>> >> A far better cause than this week's activity report for a footballer's willie.
>> >>
>>
>> This one ?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/3zscd75
>>
>> Ted

Hee hee.

I bet recent events have done his lawyers a power of good. Or perhaps not. An object lesson in how not to represent a client surely.
 The News of the World does something right - Manatee
"an undercover operation"

I do hope that was nothing like the phoney sheikh betting bung "investigations".

Nothing I have ever seen in the press about something I had first hand knowledge of has been complete and accurate, with the possible exception of the sports results ;-)

Private Eye is usually the one nearest the truth, which is probably why it gets sued most often.
....Nothing I have ever seen in the press about something I had first hand knowledge of has been complete and accurate, with the possible exception of the sports results ;-)...

Nothing I have ever read on internet forums about the press - of which I have first hand knowledge - has been complete and accurate.

The News of the World does something right - Harleyman

>> Nothing I have ever read on internet forums about the press - of which I
>> have first hand knowledge - has been complete and accurate.
>>
>>
>>
>>

I would suspect that in 99.9% (recurring) of cases of the reverse, it also applies.
 The News of the World does something right - Alanovich

>> Nothing I have ever seen in the press about something I had first hand knowledge
>> of has been complete and accurate, with the possible exception of the sports results ;-)

Sadly this is not the case. When you follow an unfashionable football team, you notice inaccuracies in sports reporting very, very often.
Barcelona 0, Fulham 3.

>> Barcelona 0, Fulham 3.
>>

One day, Iffy. We've already had Fulham 4 Juventus 1.

Baby steps.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 31 May 11 at 10:55
I don't watch anywhere near as many games as you, but I was genuinely impressed with Barcelona when they played Manchester United.

Messi really is the real deal - I could watch him all day.

I felt broadly the same as you, however I was disappointed (as usual) to note that the Barca players started chucking themselves around in fake agony as soon as they were a goal up. Disgraceful, and it tarnished their achievements for me.

In stark contrast to the match at Wembley yesterday (which I attended with Swansea supporting friends), which was hard but fair, and barely a hint of time wasting nor play acting to be seen. Only Reading's 14 seemed more interested in staying down than getting up and getting on with it.
... Disgraceful, and it tarnished their achievements for me...

Agreed.

The overall ease with which they won had me wondering about Spurs.

We finished our routine 15 or 17 points behind Manchester United, who were made to look like boys by Barca.

I'm not knocking our lot, we've come on well under Happy Harry, but it does illustrate how far below the top we are.

Latest Forum Posts