Non-motoring > LED kitchen lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 13

LED kitchen lights - Focusless
Are they any good? I read a discussion dating from 2007 which said they aren't very bright, but have things changed since then?

In our old kitchen we had 2 strips of 4x50w spots, and 400w is quite a lot if they're left on. Looking for something more efficient for the new (bigger) kitchen.
 LED kitchen lights - Zero
I dumped the under cupboard lights that used the stupid little 12v bulbs with two wire pins - always blowing, installed a led strip inseat - excelent.

Someone I know has the supebright GU10s leds

Like these

www.simplyled.co.uk/GU10-High-Power-LED-20-piece-SMD-5050-320-Lumens-50-watts-equiv_ASI5T.aspx?0&gclid=CNbrvdexhqkCFYIKfAodVSEsqQ

and they are OK.. I have a mix of LED GU10s around the house and 35 watt halogen ones - The 50 watt ones are too hot and always blowing.
Thanks - looks promising.
 LED kitchen lights - BobbyG
I bought a pile of LED GU10s from ebay for less than half that price - been delighted with them so far.
 LED kitchen lights - smokie
"been delighted with them so far", what, don't they work?

(De -lighted, geddit? )
 LED kitchen lights - RattleandSmoke
If you change the type of bulbs on retrofitted devices just make sure they don't draw more current than the transformer can handle. Was a mistake people made with the 12v down lighters, they put them all over the house and didn't realise that they draw far too much current for the typically thin lighting circuit to handle.
 LED kitchen lights - sherlock47
I have been testing LED bulbs GU10 for use in the kitchen and installed
cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-X-GU10-LED-Bulb-78-LEDs-WHITE-60Watt-halogen-/150564927891?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item230e5e7993

at a shade over £7 a unit.

They certainly give enough light to replaced 50w bulbs although the beam pattern is not as well defined -probably an advantage in the locations they are being used.

First I did trial of cold white vs warm white first - the cold white gives the impression of being brighter - but a little too 'harsh' in a room dominated by light coloured wood. Probably more suited to the bathroom which is all black - white.

They claim a 30000hr life which I have not yet been been able to prove, but payback is at around 2000 hours against cheap 50w GU10s if I have done the arithmetic correctly. Seems a no brainer?
Thanks, although I'm going to have to persuade Mrs F that spending nearly £30 on a few light bulbs is a good idea :)
 LED kitchen lights - Dog
>>I'm going to have to persuade Mrs F that spending nearly £30 on a few light bulbs is a good idea<<

Just explain that you're doing it to 'save 'the planet'.

:}
 LED kitchen lights - BobbyG
pmh, thats similar to the ones I have although mine has 60 LEDs in it.

We use them in the spotlights in the shop windows, when we might have, say 12 bulbs at previously 50W a bulb, thats 600W of heat never mind light it gives out.

Therefore the LED ones, although dearer, I think only pull 2or 3W at the most.
 LED kitchen lights - Fursty Ferret
www.simplyled.co.uk/Strip-Light-LED-12v_B23PJD.aspx

This stuff is brilliant underneath kitchen cabinets.

Make sure you're careful picking the colour - warm white is equivalent to halogen and matches perfectly; daylight white is a bit cooler.

I did the entire kitchen in daylight white (feels a bit brighter) and the rest of the flat in warm white. Cost about £180 all in for the LED bulbs and strip, but now have a lighting bill that hovers around sod-all and lifetime use for the bulbs.
 LED kitchen lights - Roger.
>> www.simplyled.co.uk/Strip-Light-LED-12v_B23PJD.aspx
>>
>> This stuff is brilliant underneath kitchen cabinets.
>
Great, F.F. - just ordered two strips for our kitchen.
Ta muchly :-)
 LED kitchen lights - legacylad
I have 4 LED GU10s in a strip in my kitchen. Warm white.

Not yet bothered fitting them elsewhere as the kitchen lights get most use by far.

They are also available in a dimmable version..it says so on the packaging. I have just bought a single LED GU10 dimmable to go in my bedside light, which is on for hours when I read.
 LED kitchen lights - MD
My bedside light can be on for hours when I pick up a book, however when I fall akip 10 minutes later......................
Latest Forum Posts