Non-motoring > If all else fails, RTFM! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 3

If all else fails, RTFM! - VxFan
Got home from work the other evening to be told the cordless phone wasn't working and the 'in use' & 'batt low' LEDs are flashing. Tried disconnecting the batteries, tested them with a multimeter - all fine, and refitted them. Both LEDs still flashing.

Couldn't make or receive calls on the handset, but still could from the base station as it has a keypad, speaker & microphone built in, so at least we still had a working phone of sorts.

Then I remembered I was given a cheap cordless answer phone from Phones 4 U when I bought a mobile from them a few years ago. An hour or so later after rummaging in the loft I managed to find it. Set it up, and then realised why I hadn't bothered using it before. It was cheaper and nastier than I had given it credit for. Still, it'll do for now until I could shop round for a new one or get the other one repaired.

Meanwhile I took the old handset to work to have a look at the PCB under the magnifier and bright light. Found a couple of dry joints which I resoldered, but still the LEDs both flashed.

I was about to throw it out tonight as it's old (got to be at least 10 years) and I was unable to rectify the fault. I plugged the base station back in to make sure no numbers were stored, and had a quick read of the manual to remind myself how to delete them.

It was at that point the fault finding guide appeared in front of my eyes. "If both LEDs flash on the handset it needs re-registering to the base station, see page 34"

Several button pushes later to re-register it to the base station and it's working again.

Moral of the story, RTFM before condemning it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 00:18
 If all else fails, RTFM! - L'escargot
VxFan, what do you see RTFM as standing for? Do tell! www.acronymfinder.com/RTFM.html
 If all else fails, RTFM! - henry k
Or you could try
wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM
Rreally spells it out and other similar expressions. You have been warned!
 If all else fails, RTFM! - Fursty Ferret
I quite like "Refer to factory manual".
Last edited by: Green Dot on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 13:32
Latest Forum Posts