Non-motoring > Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 4

Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. - henry k
The tube from the boiler is discharging onto a pathway and seems to be generating quite a lot of what I understand is acidic.
Is this amount normal?
I assume it should discharge into a drain or a soakaway?
An additional obvious concern about the discharged puddle is it freezing in winter.

Aanyone tried one of these?
www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/condensafeplus/index.html

All comments etc welcomed. It is not my boiler.
 Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. - Stuartli
The condensate pipe from my upstairs boiler discharges where the roof guttering and bathroom pipes meet at a downspout collection point and from there to one of the main drains.
 Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. - Alastairw
Don't let it freeze up though. The ex-wife's boiler has a condensate pipe that runs all the way down to ground level, presumably to prevent damp on the wall. When the condensate inevitably freezes in the pipe the boiler stops. Spent most of Xmas day pouring kettles of hot water on the pipe to keep the flow going.
 Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. - Zero
The discharge tube from the boiler should not be discharging onto a pathway, the regs require it to enter a drain. Yes it will generate a lot of acidic water, which is why a drain (or soakaway) is required.
 Condensing boilers - condensate discharge. - Dave_
Yes, it should discharge to a drain. The freezing problem can be mitigated by upsizing the plastic condensate pipe (from the standard 25mm to 32mm or even 40mm), or having it run indoors instead.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 25 May 11 at 18:55
Latest Forum Posts