Non-motoring > Sharpening stones
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 26

Sharpening stones - Mapmaker
Any comments on the difference between these two products - ebay numbers:

110683768769 - a set of three Japanese waterstones £100

270532831938 - a set of three diamond stones £5

Thanks.

Sharpening stones - WillDeBeest
What are you intending to sharpen with them, MM? Water stones look labour intensive but I suspect they may be the very best thing for the two Japanese knives in my kitchen. I have a single flat diamond stone, which seems a bit crude but is OK for chisels, and an oval-section diamond steel, which does a decent job on my European knives but doesn't go near the Japanese ones.

I'm not sure I'd be happy using a £5 sharpener on anything more sensitive than a garden tool.
A leather-paring knife which has to be as sharp as a razor. The knife itself cost a fiver but needs taking to within an inch of its (or anybody else's) life. (The traditional material for the knives is a used hacksaw blade.)

www.hewit.com/skin_deep/?volume=15&article=5

Sharpening stones - Iffy
I have an old 1" hacksaw blade which I used as a gasket scraper.

If a blade broke in use, we used to square off an end and put an edge on using the bench grinder.

I later bought a Snap-on scraper, which had a nice handle but didn't do any better job than the broken blade.

Sharpening stones - Pat
Come on Mapmaker, I know you're old enough to be able to sharpen them on the back door step like I can.

Pat
 Sharpening stones - madf
I sharpen knives on my palm.
 Sharpening stones - CGNorwich
" to sharpen them on the back door step like I can."

I can remember my Dad doing that - sharpening the carving knife for Sunday lunch. Was also the sign for the cat to return for a bit of the spoils!
 Sharpening stones - Pat
It was my Dad who taught me to do it, but he also taught me to sharpen a pruning knife on a stone while we were in the greenhouse and my Mum couldn't see us:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 24 May 11 at 17:43
Not fine enough...
 Sharpening stones - MD
Tormek.
 Sharpening stones - devonite
Why bother buying expensive knives? - Why not just knap yourself a goodly-sized piece of flint? Widely regarded as being sharper than a Surgeon`s Scalpel! and when you blunt it, just chip a bit more off!
 Sharpening stones - CGNorwich
Yep, this new fangled bronze and iron will never catch on. Just a gimmick. Just invested in a new flint mine and a reindeer antler-pick supplier. Going to make millions
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 24 May 11 at 20:25
 Sharpening stones - Manatee
I have a fine oilstone, inherited from my father. It's too fine for anything with a really blunt edge, so I have another double sided one with a fine and a coarse side, neither as fine as the old one.

A couple of weeks ago somebody gave me two pieces of old broken scythe stones. Haven't found a use for them yet - for most things that aren't a scythe, you need a flat stone, and for a scythe you need an unbroken one...now I stop to think I'm not entirely sure why I brought them home!
 Sharpening stones - Zero
>> Any comments on the difference between these two products - ebay numbers:
>>
>> 110683768769 - a set of three Japanese waterstones £100
>>
>> 270532831938 - a set of three diamond stones £5
>>
>> Thanks.

My comment is 95 quid. That's a hell of a difference. Buys a lot of stanley blades.
 Sharpening stones - -
And a hundred nicker gets you a professional electric knife sharpening machine, that effortlessly puts the most lethal edge of your knives.
 Sharpening stones - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a carborundum block for sharpening my sheath knlfe when I was Patrol Leader of the Woodpigeons. It led to an amount of perhaps understandable jealousy but one learned to rise above such trivia in the end.

:-)
 Sharpening stones - Manatee
You're just jealous of my broken scythe stones.
 Sharpening stones - BiggerBadderDave
"when I was Patrol Leader of the Woodpigeons"

How often did you get laid?
 Sharpening stones - Runfer D'Hills
:-)
>> My comment is 95 quid. That's a hell of a difference. Buys a lot of
>> stanley blades.

My comment is £95 too. HOWEVER, Stanley knife blades are no good for this particular function.

My suspicion is that the "diamond" stones are mounted on metal which will flex and will not allow a proper flat edge.

(I have also discovered some distinctly strange forums in this search. The several forums for cut-throat razor fans are obsessive enough, the forums for those who own collections of knives are quite scary...)
 Sharpening stones - Leif
If you want to sharpen Japanese cooking knives you could try a Global Minosharp
Water Knife Sharpener SH220. I have one for Global knives, and it does a good job. Much easier than waterstones, though not quite as good. Note that these are not suitable for European kitchen knives which have a less acute blade angle.
Thanks, Leif. I have my eye on the three-wheeler (motoring link) SH-550, which claims to be suitable for either type - my Japanese knives aren't Globals - pending approval from the Committee. Good to know it works well.
£100 later I am impressed. No doubt practice will make perfect, but I have sharpened an old paint scraper so that it will cut the hairs on the back of my arm.
Well, my tyres on Friday cost me less than I'd budgeted so I applied a little man-maths and on Saturday morning went to talk to the proprietor (and sharpening expert) of the nice kitchen shop in town. 20 minutes later I emerged without £35 but with a justification for my long-standing prejudice against Global knives, and an SH-440, the two-wheeled version of the larger pull-through sharpener. The SH-550, we decided, was unnecessary since I already have diamond tools that will do the job of the third, coarsest wheel and put an edge back on a blunt blade.

Early days but it's very easy to use and has restored my two Japanese blades from pleasingly sharp to cutting slices of tomato thin enough to see through. It claims to work on European blades, too, and the one I've tried it on so far responded well. Satisfying piece of kit, and worth paying a little more than online prices for a few minutes of expert advice.
 Sharpening stones - helicopter
....... cutting slices of tomato thin enough to see through..........

You must work in our local sandwich bar then Will.......
I used to, Retpo, but I got fired for making eye contact with customers and not calling them 'mate'.
 Sharpening stones - Armel Coussine
>> got fired for making eye contact with customers and not calling them 'mate'.

Heh heh... perhaps your acne wasn't thriving enough WDB. Of course they couldn't say so because discrimination against young folk on grounds of clear or clearish complexion is illegal under EC law and numerous new British byelaws...

:o}
Latest Forum Posts