Non-motoring > The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 29

The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - CGNorwich

Its a bit like having an irritating neighbour who'd like having bonfires

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13508368
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - Dutchie
If it really blows up its a bit more than a irritating neighbour more like hello Johnny with a ax.

We are hoping to have a flight this week from Doncaster a wait and see.
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - rtj70
Best of luck. We were lucky last year because despite the initial it will be okay messages they closed airspace. It opened and we got to Greece for two weeks. And got back before it grounded flights again.

Not so close but we got back from Italy recently too.... get stranded in Tuscany near San Gimignano would have been very nice in our villa type property (converted farmhouse into 4 apartments).
I hope we can go the flight is to Tunesia.I have a gut feeling depending on weather that airspace in the North of the UK will shut.

But do you want to go to Tunesia (or even Tunisia) anyway? Is it really back to being safe?
Had a word with the travel agent the place is just outside Sousse and everything is safe according to them.

Iam not worried to be honest its Africa and the border of Lybia is a long way away where we are staying.The resort where we are going to, people have been a week ago and no problems reported.
I wasn't referring to Libya. It was only a couple of months ago that there was an uprising against the government in Tunisia. I bet the damage to buildings in the capital is still visible.
We are about 90 miles away from the capital only a small resort.

The way things are going I doubt if we are getting a flight tomorrow we just have to wait and see.
Thanks for your concern lets hope we have plenty of sunshine and I be lazing around the pool .

( In Tunesia) :)
If you get there I hope you have a good time and are safe ;-)

We were thinking of going in Feb - but hadn't booked and it all kicked off.

We were lucky to get our holiday again before a volcano tried to disrupt again - wonder if it's the start of the rapture ;-)
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - WillDeBeest
I've got a long-haul business trip coming up so I'm watching the news. Our corporate travel office offers the helpful advice, "If your flight has been cancelled, request the next available flight." That seems (a) obvious, if you're trying to get home, but (b) unwise if you're flying out and not sure you'll be able to get back.

I'll be packing a few extra clothes, just in case I have to spend a week in an expensive hotel waiting for the flights to resume.
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - helicopter
I got caught last year the day before I was due to fly to Doha on business .....

This year SWMBO and I are off on holiday to our regular villa in the mountains of Crete in two weeks time with friends.

Frankly ,I will happy as long as I get there ....

I don't really care about getting back.......
That could be a problem getting back to the UK.I ring tomorrow better take a credit card in case we have to stay longer.

Iam retired so no worries about work.Daughter will look after our house and the cats.;)
Last time we have been in a airplane was six years ago.We tend to drive anywhere now.Are there any new rules regarding taking stuff on the plane?We are receiving help my wife has a disability and they are going to help us wih the luggage.

When we arrive its about 1 hr from the resort by coach.As they say its all up in the air now if we take off.
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - WillDeBeest
Yes, there are rules and you need to know them before you start packing. I suggest you refer to the websites for your airline and your departure airport. Pay particular attention to the number of pieces and the dimensions of hand luggage; passengers these days seem to try to take much more into the cabin and ground staff are (rightly) getting stricter about oversize bags.
Thanks Wildebeest.

We have a good sort out tomorrow.
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - Roger.
Tunisia is good for dates, I hear!
Ok we take a few packets back with us the way this cloud is carrying on we be buying dates from the Coop.
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - Zero
I am flying to Sicily in September, looks like I have to contend with two volcanoes!
Gillian Darley's 'Vesuvius, The Most Famous Volcano in the World'. was book of the week last week on Radio 4. Full of fascinating stuff. Would make a good holiday read.
Great, except I am off to Etna.
Sicily Zero?

Home of the mafia and you telling me to be carefull in Tunesia? :)
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - Fursty Ferret
I know exactly who to blame for this - unfortunately I can't name him on a public forum! We were flying together last week, and he pulled out a folder full of volcanic ash information (copies of QRH pages etc).

He said, "I don't know why I've been carrying this around with me all year, I'm not going to need it again" and chucked it in the bin. Two days later, hello ash cloud.

*slaps forehead*.

:-D
Its the Icelanders getting there own back on us.

First the cod war and I believe they owe us some cash it never ends.!
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - Mapmaker
Alfa Floor>> full of volcanic ash information (copies of QRH pages etc).

Queen's Royal Hussars?
 The ash is back - Scottish flights grounded - helicopter
Quick reference handbook.......
good point - still a great read though and the effects of a pyroclastic flow will be much the same !
Gaius Plinius Secundus, aka Pliny the Elder, wrote a lot of good, first hand stuff about Volcanoes from a close up and personal view, and his nephew Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus aka Pliny the Younger, carried on after he survived the Vesuius blast and his elder uncle didnt.
The account is in the book. Pliny the Elder died on the beach. Take care!
>> good point - still a great read though and the effects of a pyroclastic flow
>> will be much the same !

Actually not. You would think Etna and Vesuvius would be very similar being so close, but are very different beasts, Etna not often being subject to Pyroclastic flow, but much more a source of Lava flows.
Latest Forum Posts