Non-motoring > Contactless debit card Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 3

Contactless debit card - L'escargot
I've just received a contactless debit card from my bank and so far I'm not at all sure what to make of it. I assume it's a replacement for my present debit card which expires at the end of June, but there's no indication in the accompanying letter that this is in fact the case. The last three digits of the card are different from those on my present card. Is this normal practice when a card is replaced?

As for the contactless capability, I can't see the point. It's limited to transactions of £15 or less , which I very rarely make, and in any case I'm never in that much of a hurry. They can only be carried out at a card reader which carries the appropriate symbol, which must limit ithe feature's usefulness. Contactless transactions don't need the input of a PIN which lowers the security level. All in all I'm not that impressed. To my mind it's just a gimmick.

What do you think?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 21 May 11 at 14:14
 Contactless debit card - Iffy
It's probably meant to be a direct replacement for your existing card.

I'm with Barclays and my card is an all-in-one.

My replacement MBNA Tottenham Hotspur credit card also has a contactless symbol on it.

We all have these cards, but all of our spending patterns are different.

The marketing stuff I've seen about contactless shows a busy thirtysomething professional dashing into Starbucks for his skinny latte on the way to work.

I've had my card for a year and have not used the contactless feature.

Contactless debit card - CGNorwich
You won't need it in a year or two - Your mobile phone will have this payment feature and you can ditch your wallet completely.
 Contactless debit card - CGNorwich
www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/8527049/Wave-and-pay-mobile-phone-spells-the-end-for-cash.html
Latest Forum Posts