Non-motoring > Bosch sander motor bearing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 15

Bosch sander motor bearing - hawkeye
Mrs H has just presented me with our faithful Bosch PBS 7A belt sander. She has told me it is making a funny noise and smells a bit although I'm surprised she can tell above its normal din. She's right about the smell though.

One of the motor bearings has clearly had it; the action is gritty and rough and it's tried to melt the plastic casing it sits in. I can get a bearing cheaply enough but it looks as if its been pressed on to the motor shaft. What should I do with it ? Pop it in the freezer and see if it drops off? Take it off with the angle grinder and enjoy the sparks? Will I need to stick the new bearing in the oven to put it on do you think?

So many questions...

TIA
 Bosch sander motor bearing - Zero
Looks like you can buy bearing or armature complete with bearings pressed on.

you were going to change both were you not? ;)

www.powertoolspares.com/bosch-diy-tools-spare-parts-1/6000552/bosch-belt-sanders/6000623/belt-sander-pbs-7-a-spares/0603391003/0603391042.php

Check i have the right revision there are several listed for that model.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 18:13
 Bosch sander motor bearing - Mapmaker
Armature £36 + £5 postage. Bearing £4 + £4 postage.

New sander £55 delivered.

tinyurl.com/y9m8ywu

Hard choice...
 Bosch sander motor bearing - Iffy
....it looks as if its been pressed on to the motor shaft. What should I do with it ?....

You need a puller.

Something like this:

tinyurl.com/ylqa8w5

That's another £15/£20, so if the parts are £35 this repair is not looking very cost effective, is it?

Bosch sander motor bearing - Number_Cruncher
You can be quite brutal in getting the old bearing off - after all, it's no good any more - the bearings aren't usually that tightly fitted to the shafts as the loads aren't particularly high.

For the new one, you can use a short length of pipe to match the inner bearing, and use that to push the new bearing onto the shaft using something like either a wide vice or a sash clamp to do the pushing.

With a bit of cunning, this still could be very cheap repair.

Bosch sander motor bearing - bathtub tom
>>the action is gritty and rough and it's tried to melt the plastic casing it sits in.

If the outer has turned in its housing, then a repair may not be worthwhile.
 Bosch sander motor bearing - MrTee43
Bought mine from Aldi last year for about £20 if I recall and use it on a regular basis in the course of my work.

A pack of belts was very cheap as well at about £2.99.

With a three year guarantee, it's a good bit of kit.

BTW, the green Bosch stuff is DIY only and just not up to everyday use. There is a reason why the blue pro stuff costs more and that is down to better components.
 Bosch sander motor bearing - FotheringtonTomas
>> BTW the green Bosch stuff is DIY only and just not up to everyday use.

AOL. I'd certainly buy an Aldisander instead of Bosh greenline. I bought a heavy AldiSDSdrill some years ago, and it's apparently indestructible, as well as being a good tool (decent impact energy).
Thank you all for the input.

>> you were going to change both were you not? ;)
No. The bearing that has gone is at the commutator end - the one with lesser load, so I'm guessing it's a faulty bearing.

>> Check i have the right revision there are several listed for that model
The bearing part numbers are all the same.

>> this repair is not looking very cost effective, is it?
It's not about cost effectiveness, it's about not wasting the rest of the machine. I won't disclose how old our washing machine is ...

>> With a bit of cunning, this still could be very cheap repair.
NC, you're talking my lingo here.

>> If the outer has turned in its housing, then a repair may not be worthwhile
I thought of reseating it with a thin line of epoxy round the new bearing. There is evidence of some melted plastic in the bearing housing.

I'll keep you posted. Of course if it all goes pear-shaped, I'm sure I can macrame up a plastic bush and then Ebay it ...

Bosch sander motor bearing - Fenlander
Setting the bearing in epoxy is fine H. I have a bottle of *bearing fit* which has given great service on heavy duty farm equipment where the bearing has seized and spun in the housing.

It's quite like epoxy but a little more runny.
 Bosch sander motor bearing - FotheringtonTomas
>> >> If the outer has turned in its housing then a repair may not be worthwhile
>> I thought of reseating it with a thin line of epoxy round the new bearing.

Now you're talking. You could also use beer-tin shim (leave a small gap at the ends rather than overlap them).
 Bosch sander motor bearing - Mapmaker
£20 Lidl. And £2.99 for a packet of belts. Far cheaper than screwfix, and far better quality.
EEPP - I see lidl are doing a nail gun for 17.99

gotta get me one o' them
 Bosch sander motor bearing - R.P.
Shiny Kit syndrome ?
< eyes glazed over - talk to the hand >
For those of you who need closure ...

Pulled the bearing off with a loaned puller. Pressed new bearing on in the carpenter's vice. Bead of epoxy round the shell. Reassembled. Working. No odd noises, just the normal din.

But for how long with the gung ho Mrs H at the controls ?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Latest Forum Posts