Non-motoring > Change of use of a field Auctions
Thread Author: Dr Prunesqualler Replies: 9

Change of use of a field - Dr Prunesqualler
Hi,

After a bit of advice on changing the use of a field. Some neighbours appear to want to change some of their field into a garden. The land in question is definitely currently agricultural as it has some sheep on it and is surrounded by other fields. It is located in a rural location on the edge of a village.

Is it necessary to get planning permission or other sort of permission in order to change some of the field into a garden?

Not too pleased about their proposals so after a bit of information about what they can and cannot do.

Cheers,

Dr P.
 Change of use of a field - Mapmaker
Yes it is (almost certainly) necessary.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 12:20
 Change of use of a field - Fenlander
Bit of experience of this.. 0.5ac of our 0.7ac "garden" was ploughed arable when we bought the property... the 0.5ac is road frontage to the side of the house as well so a highly visible situation for change.

Also converted a separate 8ac of flat arable to hedged/treed grassland for horses at the same time.

Things were made a lot easier at the house in that we bought the place (16yrs ago) from the county council as an ex-smallholders property. They placed the .5ac section of arable with it in order to make it easier to sell as a domestic property. Thankfully when the garden establishment was queried this was judged to have been sufficient intent by the council to make it a residential garden so we were allowed to do so without legal challenge.

Of course there were a few raised eyebrows and possibly some calls to the council when we started but of course these would have been rebutted due to the circumstances and we never heard any more.

In any case although it is 100% a garden as far as we're concerned I set out being careful to use farm type fencing and all natural hedge/tree planting. The grass planted was a set-aside mix and if left unmowed for a couple of weeks has a similar look to grazed paddock. I have done this just in case there was ever future hassle. I have seen cases where quite well established gardens have been dismantled on the order of the council where extended.

On the 8ac we made massive changes with fencing, planting and buildings. Despite all this being done involving the council re planning for the buildings and discussions over the natural species of hedges and trees (about 150 trees and 3000 hedging plants) there were folks who were over interested in what we were doing for reasons that I couldn't understand.

I would say think hard about your motives for complaining about this if you do. Is garden any worse than a few rusty tractors or a rough old pig shed? What sort of garden do you think they want to make? Similar to how I describe ours or flower beds, seats, fountains, kids toys etc??

Hope there is something useful in there.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 12:53
 Change of use of a field - Dr Prunesqualler
Thanks for the information.

We are worried because currently the view from our back windows is of idyllic countryside and we don't fancy it being replaced by 8 foot fences.

Dr P.
 Change of use of a field - Falkirk Bairn
Depending on the size of the house anything greater than say 0.5 acre can be considered for capital gains tax on sale...............0.5 might be small for rambling 600 sq m home but for an ordinary 200 sq m home is deemed enough.

Small holding sold for £600K inc 10 acres was deemed £400K house and £200K fpr 9 acres of land - Moneybox a few weeks back IIRC
 Change of use of a field - Fenlander
Hmmm I've known this a few times when an owner of an L-shaped plot changes what has been the norm in the section of land below someone elses garden. Oddly otherwise decent folks can be quite arrogant with no respect for their fellow householders in this situation.

It is 99% sure they will need a change of use for this and often councils are minded not to agree. However as I mentioned in the first post tread with care if you object as there are far worse legit agricultural things they could do with no permissions.

Do you think they will want to hard fence so you can't see into the new garden? Could you plant some hedgerow (not lleylandi!!) to soften the boundary? Is it the loss of view over the land you dislike or the possibility of a new view of them doing gardening things?

All things said experience of several rural properties has taught us that you have to realise what you don't own you can't control and one mans re-established natural hedgerow is the next mans lost view.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 13:49
 Change of use of a field - Screwloose

Agricultural land>>garden>>building plot>>planning consent>>££££££
 Change of use of a field - Iffy
Get some pics of how it is now.

Could be useful if it becomes a garden overnight and there's a dispute.
 Change of use of a field - MD
P.P. WILL be required. To 'protect' a view you have to own it.

MD
 Change of use of a field - Manatee
>>
>> Agricultural land>>garden>>building plot>>planning consent>>££££££
>>

My thought too - and that has happened locally.
Latest Forum Posts