Non-motoring > XD into SD - will it go? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 13

XD into SD - will it go? - Mike Hannon
Guy down the road from me has a digital camera in what appears to be mint condition at a good price (unusual for France) and, although I said I would never buy another Fuji after the last one died just after the guarantee ran out, I am tempted.
Thing is, it only apparently takes XD cards, that were only used by Fuji and Olympus. There's a couple of 2gb cards with it, but what will read them? I use a USB multi-card reader for my SD and Micro SD cards but it doesn't say XD on it anywhere. But I've noticed that there are card reader sockets on the front of my horrible HP all-in-one printer and, by a process of testing, I discovered they work and allow photo downloading straight to the computer as well. Thing is, one of them is labelled XD/SD. At last, the point - does this mean an XD card can be read by an SD reader? Or would I have to use the direct lead? I've always preferred the flexibility of cards.
 XD into SD - will it go? - SteelSpark
Even if the printer doesn't work (my Brother one has a card slot, but has never worked), you can pick up an XD card reader for a couple of quid. Just search for "XD reader" on Amazon.

Seem to have them on Amazon.fr too.
 XD into SD - will it go? - spamcan61
>>
>> Seem to have them on Amazon.fr too.
>>

Indeed, this one seems to read beaucoup de formats:-

www.amazon.fr/ABC-Products%C2%AE-CompactFlash-SmartMedia-Num%C3%A9rique/dp/B001102DW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305730190&sr=8-1
Merci bien mes amis.
I'll scuttle along there later for a look.
 XD into SD - will it go? - Stuartli
Any half decent multi-card reader should be able to accept xD cards.
 XD into SD - will it go? - Manatee
Equally to the point, can you get XD cards? I have a nice little metal bodied Fuji that takes Smartmedia cards - they were deuced expensive when I last looked and I'm sure they aren't making them now.
 XD into SD - will it go? - Zero
Smartmedia cards

www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-128MB-SmartMedia-Card/dp/B000XXV54E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305832267&sr=1-1

XD cards

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104633

Both getting rare and both more expensive than SDHC
 XD into SD - will it go? - rtj70
www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-2GB-XD-M-Card/dp/B002GMSMHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305832433&sr=1-1
But does an XD card fit in an SD slot for reading?
 XD into SD - will it go? - Zero
No, that's why you buy a multi card reader as described above. OR you use the cable that came with the camera and use the card in the camera.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 May 11 at 10:13
 XD into SD - will it go? - CGNorwich
My cheapo Jessops card reader I bought 3 years ago has an xD slot
I think the XD cards usually go in the Smartmedia slot. Or to be precise the left hand side which has a slightly taller opening than the slot as a whole. I assume XD spec was derived from SM - i.e. same interface but physically smaller?
Or what about this?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000B8JNI6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d3_i6?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06HPZV9SND8N2JZF664X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
 XD into SD - will it go? - Dave_
>> But I've noticed that there are card reader sockets on the front of my horrible HP all-in-one printer and,
>> by a process of testing, I discovered they work and allow photo downloading straight to the computer as well.
>>Thing is, one of them is labelled XD/SD. At last, the point - does this mean an XD card can be read by
>>an SD reader?

My printer has a similar slot, marked SD / MMC / xD, and it reads the xD card from my old Fuji camera as well as SD cards. I also have an SD to USB adapter, which will not accept xD cards...

I think the answer to the OP's question is no, not all SD readers accept xD cards. As you've found out, you can read the cards from the slot in your old printer, but you could also use the cable direct to the camera.
Latest Forum Posts