Non-motoring > For Aviation buffs… Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chas Replies: 15

For Aviation buffs… - Chas
Something which I am involved with as a volunteer: the next open day at Bruntingthorpe Airfield is Sunday May 29th 2011. (This might interest Perky Penguin in particular)

All the serviceable Cold War Jets Collection aircraft (Nimrod, Victor, Lightning, Buccaneers, Comet 4, Hunter, Jet Provost, Canberra, Iskra) will be fast taxied and Vulcan XH558 will be on static display. Entry £15 per person, OAP £10 and children under 16 free. (Admission charge is to cover huge fuel costs and insurance hikes)

Although not a flying display you do get up close to all the aircraft and is the only place in the country/world to see some of these aircraft actually running eg Comet

Top tip – bring ear defenders or ear plugs; a BAC Lightning 50 feet away on full power with both afterburners lit is loud!

Details here: www.bruntingthorpe.com/aircraft-museum.htm
 For Aviation buffs… - rtj70
There's now a Nimrod on display in the aviation viewing park at Manchester Airport. Well it was there on Saturday when we landed.

Sounds like a good day out if you live nearby.
 For Aviation buffs… - Zero
Might well rock up, its not that far for me.
 For Aviation buffs… - Dave_
Drat, that's half-term kids' swapover day so I'll be mostly driving up and down the M1.

Hoping to go to nearby Mallory Park the next day (Bank Holiday Monday) though for the Historic Racing Drivers' Club races: www.hrdc.eu/
 For Aviation buffs… - Bromptonaut
Just up the road & I'm mighty tempted as I've long wanted a gander at Bruntingthorpe's Guppy. But I'll be lucky to get a pass as we're off to the New Forest camping on Monday!!
 For Aviation buffs… - midlifecrisis
You mean there won't be another flying display from a certain aircraft!!
 For Aviation buffs… - Dave_
This is XH558's only purely static appearance this year. It's confirmed to fly at 8 separate locations in 2011 so far: www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

I saw it at the Cosby Victory Show in 2009 www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/ recreating the 1982 bombing run at Port Stanley. Made you jump a bit, that did :)

Didn't a Victor "accidentally" take off, briefly, at this event at Brunters a couple of years ago?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 16 May 11 at 22:15
 For Aviation buffs… - bathtub tom
>>Didn't a Victor "accidentally" take off, briefly

A bit like the unmodified 'Flying Flea' at Shuttleworth during a 'fast' taxi run. IIRC unmodified Flying Fleas' don't have the necessary air worthiness certificate to fly.
>> You mean there won't be another flying display from a certain aircraft!!
>>

Err, no! Procedures have changed and there will be no chance of that happening.

Been in the right hand seat myself on that aircraft on a fast taxy run. You have to respond instantly to shutting down 80,000 pounds of thrust believe me.
 For Aviation buffs… - Ian (Cape Town)
>> a BAC Lightning 50 feet away
>> on full power with both afterburners lit is loud!

Indeed.
Sadly our local ones have been grounded, after one ploughed in at an airshow last year, killing the pilot.
An update to this thread as I attended the planning meeting at Bruntingthorpe last night:

Highlights of the day:

There will be a 3 ship Buccaneer ground display (if they are all serviceable). That will be the first time 3 Buccs have run simultaneously on a runway since 1994.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) will be doing a fly by (Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane) at 16.05

Vulcan is confirmed as attending as a static departing at 17.30.

Plus Comet, Lightning, Hunter, Canberra, Victor, Nimrod and Iskra high speed taxi runs.

All subject to serviceabilty on the day.

Well, did any of the C4play members go to Bruntingthorpe on Sunday? And anyone notice the ultra rare 6000 gallon OshKosh fire truck with twin v12 diesels? Had around 7,000 visitors so a record day.

Would be interested to know what you thought so I can feedback the comments to the organising committee.
 For Aviation buffs… - Bigtee
This is the airshow to attend duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/conEvent.3526

A great day out get there early enjoy the museum and the show starts approx 1pm-5.30.

www.leparisien.fr/seine-et-marne-77/seine-et-marne-un-vieux-bombardier-s-ecrase-pres-de-l-a5b-31-05-2011-1475075.php

At least both crew got out alive and it's wheel's up landing.

B-25 a fantastic aircraft the ones used in the Doolittle raid on Tokyo.
gsirius.bookfoto.com/index.php?ac=book&gr=0&id=136064

Better pics.
 For Aviation buffs… - spamcan61
I'm wondering why they used such huge cranes to recover it.
Latest Forum Posts