Non-motoring > light bulbs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 10

light bulbs - borasport
We have a built in wardrobe with reading lights above the bed, and one of these went last night, taking the fuse with it.
They are candle bulbs with a small edison screw fitting, they have to be at least 10 years old as they pre-date our purchase of the house, there are no visible markings on the bulbs, nor can i see max rating or similar on the bulb holders - I'm guessing they were 40 watt, 60 max, as there is a flat 'wooden' (aka chipboard and fablon) surface no more than 1" above

The only options down at b&q were 7 watt energy saving bulb, and given that I find these days light levels make a massive amount of difference to how easy I find it to read, I have no faith in them, or b&q 42 watt halogen bulbs. If I fit the latter, are there any potential problems - is the wardrobe lialbe to start smouldering after three chapters of Kyril Bonfiglioli ?

light bulbs - Zero
If they were small Edison Screw (SES) candle bulbs they were 40 watts. No idea why you couldnt get any, still available.

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LACA40SESCL.html

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 May 11 at 15:48
 light bulbs - borasport
worried about a burning wardrobe falling on my head in the middle of the night, I've been poking around the back of the fittings with a mirror on a stick (what a way to spend a bank holiday) and just about managed to make out 'Max 25 W' - at less than 25w it's hardly worth turning the things on, no wonder I struggle to read of the evening
 light bulbs - Stuartli
>>If they were small Edison Screw (SES) candle bulbs they were 40 watts. No idea why you couldnt get any, still available. >>

As you rightly say, they are still readily available. The only use I have for them is that two are housed in the fan extractor to light up the gas stove area.
 light bulbs - Fursty Ferret
Try replacing it with a couple of metres of this stuff:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warm-White-LED-Ribbon-Flexible-Strip-30-SMD-5M-20-12V-/220588247569?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item335c158a11
 light bulbs - Shiny
Would an adapter that allows you to fit a normal screw-in CFL work, or is space in the fitting too tight?

www.dealextreme.com/p/e27-to-e14-light-lamp-bulb-adapter-converter-37162

Are any of these any good?
s.dealextreme.com/search/e14
I use them for various things, especially outside as they work in the cold.

You need at least 210-260 lumens warm white to match your old bulbs. A 9W CFL should be loads brighter.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 2 May 11 at 20:19
 light bulbs - Ted

We use these candle bulbs in the lounge centre light, 5 fitted. I keep a few in stock but I've never had trouble getting them at our local B&Q.

Ted
 light bulbs - CGNorwich
60 watt incandescent clear bulbs will disappear this September. 40 and 25 watt including candle shaped will disappear September 2012.

Some shops are already in process of withdrawing 60 watt bulbs
 light bulbs - AnotherJohnH
>> 60 watt incandescent clear bulbs will disappear this September. 40 and 25 watt including candle
>> shaped will disappear September 2012.
>>
>> Some shops are already in process of withdrawing 60 watt bulbs
>>

the future's brown.

well, darker than you'd want it..
 light bulbs - Iffy
...well, darker than you'd want it...

The old railway saying: "If one won't do, use two," works up to a point.

light bulbs - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> The old railway saying: "If one won't do, use two," works up to a point.
>>
>>
>>

Then change the points.
Latest Forum Posts