Passed away today aged 76.

A sporting gentleman.
 RIP 'enry - Iffy
Robin,

We are not psychic.

Who is dead?

RIP 'enry - Zero
i assume Henry Cooper!

Thats terrible, a really really nice fabulous fella, met him a couple of times at fundraising do's for disabled kids. ,

The punch that put "clay" down - what a peach.,

Ali later said on British television that Cooper "had hit him so hard that his ancestors in Africa felt it".
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 May 11 at 21:49
 RIP 'enry - Manatee
I also met and chatted with Henry in about 1982/3 I think, when he did a celebrity appearance for a business partner. Modest, intelligent and kind man was my opinion of him at the time.
 RIP 'enry - sherlock47
There is only one 'enry!

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13256045.stm
 RIP 'enry - Stuartli
Whispering Ted Lowe has also sadly passed away at the age of 90.
 RIP 'enry - CGNorwich
Ted Lowe was the voice of snooker from "Pot Black" onwards. A quote from the early days.

"And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green,"
 RIP 'enry - Iffy
...And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green,"...

That's one of those stories which ought to be true, even if it isn't.

The one I've heard with my own ears is John Motson commentating on a Sunderland AFC v Tottenham game at the old Roker Park.

He said: "For those watching in black and white, Tottenham are in all yellow."

The comment wasn't quite as daft as it sounded, because Sunderland were in black shorts and their trademark red and white striped shirts.

What Motty meant was black and white viewers would recognise the Spurs players because their strip was plain, and all the same light colour.

RIP 'enry - Robin O'Reliant
>> There is only one 'enry!
>>

Don't tell me, tell Iffy ;-)
 RIP 'enry - CGNorwich
Remember listening on the radio to the fight with the then Cassius Clay. Cooper's big weakness was he cut easily. A good man who will be missed.

Every time one of the names you grew up with dies it seems a little bit of yourself goes with them.
 RIP 'enry - Zero
i only ever saw my father really angry once, and that was when Joe Bugnor "beat" Cooper. He reckoned the "fix" was in
 RIP 'enry - BiggerBadderDave
"Passed away"

Do you mean he died?
 RIP 'enry - corax
No more Brut 33 then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVffcLkIKw&NR=1
 RIP 'enry - Chris S
I remember Henry Cooper's Brut ads as well - until then aftershave was known as 'poof juice' and most men wouldn't wear it.
 RIP 'enry - Robin O'Reliant
Brut was the most effective paint stripper you could buy, shame it didn't smell as nice.
 Sir Henry Cooper. - Dutchie
Program about Henry Cooper on the television great British fighter and person.

They don't have fighters like him anymore a gentleman and a scholar as they say.

Never met him he had a hell of a punch.
Latest Forum Posts