Non-motoring > One fine day and a thunderstorm Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 27

One fine day and a thunderstorm - Zero
Baking hot day here in Imperial Palace Zero, terminated by a vicious lashing thunderstorm that could not be contained by the gutters, cascading down the side of the house. Flash floods int he road.

anyway

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97zEK-t-88

One fine day and a thunderstorm - Manatee
No consequences yet here in the Vale of Aylesbury, but I fancy I can hear distant rolling thunder...
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 23 Apr 11 at 20:09
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - R.P.
Tried to rain during my census round today - grey and overcast - when I got home to Ynys Mon it was clear and sunny, beautiful evening here tonight and a lot fresher than of late.

I experienced something yesterday I've rarely seen in this country, especially in April - on the way back from my bike ride it started raining quite heavily - the smell of the rain on the road surface was almost overpowering but the road surface was dry as a bone despite the rain.....rarely see that in the UK. More tropical than anything. Weird.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sat 23 Apr 11 at 20:14
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - -
the smell of the rain
>> on the road surface was almost overpowering but the road surface was dry as a
>> bone despite the rain.....rarely see that in the UK. More tropical than anything. Weird.
>>

I drove through torrential rain once that was unusual but slightly different.

It was raining so hard that the rian immediately drowned out all spray, even on the motorway, trucks driving through pouring rain with heavy surface water and no splash or spray making it above an inch or two above the surface, uncannily quiet too.

Still warm here, but wouldn't be surprised if storms arrive.
Rain on a long time dry road spells trouble for a motorcyclist, a more slippery surface than diesel....it was a bit of a brown trouser moment, but I manned up.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Boxsterboy
We were on our way back from Twyford on the M25 when the heavens opened - driving SWMBO's Merc CLK with the roof down!! We weren't the only ones to hide under a bridge on the hard shoulder while the rams and struts did their job of getting us water tight.

Still the garden breathed a sigh of relief.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Bromptonaut
>> Tried to rain during my census round today - grey and overcast - when I
>> got home to Ynys Mon it was clear and sunny, beautiful evening here tonight and
>> a lot fresher than of late.

Cycled from Gresford to Chester yesterday, probably on edge of same temp change.

Beautiful until early afternoon then as we left the city towards Eccleston, turned a corner to be met by stiff chill breeze, low grey cloud haze over the Clwydians and every sense of impending downpour. Daughter and b/f were dispatched to fetch a car as the two weaker cyclists would have struggled in rainstorm. In event Bromp Junior, SWMBO & I caught them at Rosset and all did a blistering peloton climb up Marford & back to base.

Never did rain and others got back under own steam.

Glorious again today and off to Vyrnwy as soon as our hosts are back from church.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 11:26
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Iffy
Many parts of the country could do with some rain.

Even normally leafy North Yorkshire is starting to look dried-up in places.

>> Many parts of the country could do with some rain.
>>
>> Even normally leafy North Yorkshire is starting to look dried-up in places.

And yesterdays cloudburst was useless. The ground was so hard, and the water so copious, it just ran off.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Armel Coussine

>> anyway

Charming Zeddo. Not wicked quite, pedestrian beat, but charming. A forgotten stretch of memory lane, remembered when heard.

I trust you have bailed out most of the wine cellar by now?
yes but all the wet labels fell off over night.

Cant tell now if its Krug, Dom Perignon or Louis Roederer Cristal, bit of a lottery in fact.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Bigtee
Who the heck wants rain we want four months of sun at 21c to 38c and stuff the gardens turn on your taps.!!

Im built for hotter cliamates. :-)
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - corax
>> Im built for hotter cliamates. :-)

Go to Spain then, later you'll be coming back looking like a prune and gagging for some water :)
>> Im built for hotter cliamates. :-)

You look like a camel?
...and stuff the gardens turn on your taps.!!...

Talk of hosepipe bans in the Midlands.

Anyway, tap water doesn't make a garden grow, at best it keeps it alive.

The arguably more serious point is food production.

Dried-up crops are no good to anyone.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Bigtee
The arguably more serious point is food production.

Dried-up crops are no good to anyone.

Jesus iffy we have had only 3 weeks of sunshine not 8 months.!!

Zero, i could get the hump reading your posts.:-)
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Slidingpillar
My waterbutts on the garage and greenhouse roofs catch this sort of rain a treat. Rare for me to need to resort to tap water for greenhouse and garden.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - CGNorwich
Met. office stats show rainfall for March was only 25% of ten year March average. April is looking to be even drier. No appreciable rain at all here so far. Allotment is parched. Probably time for some sort of ritual sacrifice. I'll get the wicker man out of the shed.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - swiss tony
>> Met. office stats show rainfall for March was only 25% of ten year March average.
>> April is looking to be even drier. No appreciable rain at all here so far.
>> Allotment is parched. Probably time for some sort of ritual sacrifice. I'll get the wicker
>> man out of the shed.
>>
Naw.... just book a week off work - that always works for me.
...Jesus iffy we have had only 3 weeks of sunshine not 8 months.!!...

That is so, but most of the country survives on a comparative knife edge where water supply is concerned.

It's been a very dry winter as well....snow means nawt to topping up reservoirs...
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - spamcan61
The dry spell is probably my fault, I finally got round to fixing some scavenged guttering onto my sheds, and it hasn't rained since round my way.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Perky Penguin
In Met terms a foot of snow is the same as an inch of or rain so, as PU notes, snow doesn't do much for reservoir water levels
>> ...Jesus iffy we have had only 3 weeks of sunshine not 8 months.!!...

There are parts of the east coast that have not had rain for two months. Normally the two wettest months of the year.
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - Ted

We in Arcadia had a midge's didge's of a shower, after a bit of thunder yesterday. I don't think the raindrops even joined up on the patio,

Glorious today after a colder start. Thought about taking some friends to Chester but cried off !
Most of the family came for a lamb dinner this afto. SWM cruelly separated all our lickle tomato plants from their chums and potted them on while I stuck me nasturtium (sp) seeds in pots...it'll be like the Hanging gardens of Babyliss this year !

If we get a ban, I'll just fill a wheely bin with water and use a bucket for the pots...no lawn to bother us at Ted Abbey......Good soft water from the Lakes as well.

Ted
 One fine day and a thunderstorm - legacylad
Cracking day here in the n yorks/cumbria borders. 07:30 start from Settle to Windermere, roof down, rapid progress (grin grin), then a 20 miler over the SE fells and a leisurely drive home in traffic.
Shame about having to work tomorrow.
No sign of thunderstorms.
I'm at Iffy Towers and had a run out to the Northumberland/County Durham border.

A bit thundery, but only a few spots landed on the windscreen.

Ideal open-top motoring weather - not too hot.

Not much traffic inland, busier on the coast.

One fine day and a thunderstorm - Mike Hannon
Finally had a thunderstorm down here tonight after six weeks of nothing and a lot of worried looks at the village water tower. I stopped worrying years ago after the chief hydrologist for a mAjor water company toldme that three dry seasons in a row is very, very rare. He's been absolutely right up to now...
Latest Forum Posts