Non-motoring > Coffee Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 93

Coffee - Iffy
How do you like yours?

Most of the time I'm on instant, but I have a filter machine in the caravan as well as a kettle.

I bought some grounds yesterday, Brasilia by Taylors of Harrogate.

Been slurping my way through a jug this morning, but I'm slightly underwhelmed.

It's not been the treat I hoped it would be.

There's a bewildering array of coffees available in the supermarket.

Any recommendations or brewing tips?

Coffee - BiggerBadderDave
Nescafe instant, black, in a mug, one spoon of coffee, no sugar and 3 digestives.

I've tried many other brands usually depending upon who's giving away a free mug with the jar but always come back to Nescafe.

I have 30 or 40 red Nescafe mugs hanging in the kitchen they seem to be permanently on promotion where I live.

I never quite let the kettle boil before pouring it.

Coffee - Zero
I have mine three ways, depending on where I am

At home its ground coffee, strength 4 or 5, in a filter machine. Two large scoops for each jug of 8 cups. Milk in cup

At friends its 4 or 5 strength ground coffee in a cafetière à piston, again at least two large tablespoons, stirred, left to infuse, then pressed.

Favourite is a walk with the dog to a local Sicilian family cafe, (they use lavazza coffee) for a double shot americano, with steamed skimmed milk served on the side in a jug. (and a Biscotti di Prato to dunk in it)

The best coffee served in coffee shops is Lavazza or Illy. Of the chains I hate Starbucks (weak pish), will use Costa in an emergency, but prefer Cafe Nero.
 Coffee - Perky Penguin
I use an old style percolator and German Jacobs coffee which I pick up in Germany. Caffeteire is fine but contents cool rapidly. Friends with plenty of money recommend the Illy brand of coffee
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
Filter, always (instant isn't coffee, it's a coffee-flavoured drink, yuck!). I tend to use Lavazza rossa, but herself often gets fairtrade stuff from various sources.

The recommended measures are insufficient. You have to put nearly twice that amount. I make enough for herself and me. She has it black no sugar in a small silver-glazed cup and saucer. I have mine with milk no sugar in the monkey mug, blood pressure pills and some sort of cake along with the Terrorflag and a cigarette or three at the moment. Can't start a proper day any other way.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
Does any one remember Cona machines. They worked on the vacuum principle Used to make great coffee but were very fragile. Had one back in the seventies . Was surprised to see you can still get them.

www.cona.co.uk/cona-products-dining.php
 Coffee - Iffy
...Does any one remember Cona machines...

Interesting, I'd never seen one of those.

Not a very good idea to be messing around with a spirt lamp after flattening a bottle of wine with dinner.

Coffee - CGNorwich
Ours was the kitchen model which you place on the hob.

www.cona.co.uk/cona-products-dining.php

Seeing one again makes we want one!
 Coffee - Zero
>> Ours was the kitchen model which you place on the hob.
>>
>> www.cona.co.uk/cona-products-dining.php
>>
>> Seeing one again makes we want one!

100 quid for the table top model, 50 quid for the kitchen (we recommend an aga) model!
 Coffee - Zero

>> Not a very good idea to be messing around with a spirt lamp after flattening
>> a bottle of wine with dinner.

Never had a fondue then iffy?
 Coffee - Iffy
...Never had a fondue then iffy?...

I'm waiting for a set to come up on QVC.

Coffee - Zero
Here you go

www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.nav/params.class.4365.level.3.cookie.set/walk.yah.0102-H204?venue=cgen
 Coffee - Iffy
...Here you go...

A choice of seven - what a retailer.

Coffee - Zero
>> German Jacobs coffee which I pick up in
>> Germany.

Ersatzkaffee. Ground up acorns.
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
In the past have used glass Cona makers (they got broken), those screw-together hob espresso makers and even an espresso maker with a lever and hand-operated pressure arrangement. Both made decent stuff but in the end the heat destroys the rubber/plastic seals which is a nuisance.

With filters all you have to do is get filter papers. If you run out of those you can use a cunningly-folded paper kitchen towel (but that can make it taste a tiny bit funny).
 Coffee - jc2
New genuine seals are available for the screw-together espresso machines(Amazon??) and the coffee has to be "5"-I do drink instant,has to be good instant-not "own-brand" and use twice the amount(or half the water).
 Coffee - Perky Penguin
The coffee is actually coffee, it says so on the packet. When did you last drink Jacobs or Onko coffee? It is widely sold and served in Germany. Are a million+ Germans wrong or is it someone else? It is only an opinion after all
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 14:36
 Coffee - Zero
Why do Germans travel to italy for holiday? Why do German drink beer?

Germans are not renown for their coffee.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 14:40
 Coffee - Perky Penguin
1. Because the Italians have better beaches
2. They drink beer because they make very good beer
3. They may not not be renowned for their coffe because they don't grow any.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 14:44
 Coffee - Zero
Dont see much coffee grown in Italy either. Or France.

Germans travel to Italy for decent food, decent red wine, and decent coffee.

I would too if I lived in Germany.
 Coffee - Perky Penguin
I don't think coffee is grown anywhere in Europe. It is grown elsewhere and imported to countries who select it according their taste preferences, presumably. You may not like German coffee but it isn't acorns, not since WW2 anyway, and plenty of people do like it, even if you don't. We are talking opinions and perceptions here are we not?
 Coffee - Zero

>>We are talking opinions and perceptions here are we not?

We are indeed.
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
>> opinions and perceptions here are we not?

And 'tastes' which are well known to differ.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
The taste in coffee varies enormously from country to country. I tend to find the national brew tastes odd for a few days then grow to like it. Even like a Greek coffee especially with one of those sticky almond cakes they do. German coffee is actually normally very good. Kaffee und Kuchen is after all national institution. The UK is the place where you are most likely to get a really horrible cup of coffee in a cafe or restaurant. It tends to be worse the further north you go. The chain coffee houses have however improved the situation greatly over the past 10 years
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 16:15
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
>> Germans are not renown for their coffee.

They do have it though. And Austrians, Viennese in particular, like the real thing. So do Belgians (although I don't really go for the Belgian brands of packaged ground coffee).

I used to get beans at Fern's in the West End and grind them myself. But when Fern's closed I couldn't find a reliable source of decent beans. You can find them all right but they are often donkey's years old and faded. And so-called espresso beans are just burnt.

In Tanzania my late friend Chris, married to a Haya woman who grew a bit of coffee in the shade under the banana trees, used to roast green beans on a shovel, grind them in a pestle and mortar and flavour the resulting brew with powdered ginger (he felt sugar was bad for people's teeth). Milk was hard to come by there. It wasn't what I was used to but was all right being exotic and very, very genuine.

The place where it's almost impossible to get decent coffee is the US where they like it very thin and weak. No wonder they let you have as much as you like for the price of one cup.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 14:58
 Coffee - helicopter
Arabic coffee, very strong, accompanied by a sheesha pipe of apple or grape flavoured tobacco reclining on a bench with my Arab friends in a cafe in the Souk ....

I did try the cross legged posture adopted by many of the locals but wearing trousers rather than a robe makes it a bit painful.......

Coffee - corax
I usually have instant coffee, but if I fancy ground, it's usually Taylor's rich italian. Coffee can be an addiction. I do like a mug after a morning's work as it's such a good pick me up, but it does dehydrate by forcing water out of your system - so I try to keep off it on hot days.
 Coffee - NortonES2
The only way to decent coffee is to grind freshly roasted beans. Locally we have an establishment that roasts all their coffee on the premises. Not a lot compares. Reminds me of Westcliff on Sea, where there was a coffee roasting outfit I passed on my way to school. Once upon a time. The blessed Helen M went to school nearby, contemporaneously.
 Coffee - -
where there was a coffee roasting outfit I passed on
>> my way to school.

That sentence just took me back to walking through Tunbridge Wells as a schoolboy in the late 60's, the smell of coffee from the shop that roasted their own was quite delicious. and unforgettable.

No memories of lovely girls there though, an all boys school and being unbelievably shy with the fairer sex made me a somewhat late starter.

We seldom have coffee, both enjoy proper tea.
 Coffee - Clk Sec
>> contemporaneously.

A simple English thread beckons...
:)
 Coffee - corax
>> Favourite is a walk with the dog to a local Sicilian family cafe, (they use
>> lavazza coffee) for a double shot americano, with steamed skimmed milk served on the side
>> in a jug. (and a Biscotti di Prato to dunk in it)

But wouldn't skimmed milk be a bit thin? Semi skimmed at least for me to give it some body.
 Coffee - FocalPoint
I am a coffee snob.

I start with strong, dark roast coffee beans (my current favourite is Guatemala Elephant, from Whittard), which I grind fresh each time - very finely.

I use two full scoops, tamped down very tightly, for a single cup of cappuccino, made in a DeLonghi machine. The milk is steam-frothed on the same machine, using whole organic milk. The chocolate sprinkle I concoct from cocoa powder and a little golden caster sugar. Apart from that, it's unsweetened.

Though I agree with Zero that "Of the chains I hate Starbucks (weak pish), will use Costa in an emergency, but prefer Cafe Nero", I reckon my home-brew is streets ahead. So do all my guests.

I can't believe how awful Starbucks' coffee is - it's only bearable (just) if you ask for an extra shot. Caffè Nero has the best taste, but they have an annoying habit of serving a large cappuccino in a tall mug you can hardly get your face into, with a long spoon sticking out of it. When you try to drink it like that you realise you need to take the spoon out, but there's no saucer to put it on.
 Coffee - Mike Hannon
We only drink ground coffee (Jacques Vabre in France - cheap in any supermarket), using an Italian-style old-fashioned percolator, or very occasionally a filter machine. Everyone knows that instant coffee isn't done in our house. If you want it, bring it with you.
Agatha Christie famously said that 'coffee in England always tastes like a chemistry experiment'. Going by my recent experience, nothing has changed.
 Coffee - Skoda
Taylors of Harrogate Italian. It's the closest i've found to Nero's which is my favourite (by a large margin) of the coffee shops near my work.

For a special treat, stick it in the grinder and whizz it for a bit then make a Serbian coffee which is like the turkish method but even more flavour -- easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/beverages/r/serbiancoffee.htm -- a small pan is key, otherwise it just foams up the sides and sticks.

Definitely only for a treat though, pain in the backside to clean up afterwards :-)
 Coffee - VxFan
Can't stand the smell of coffee, let alone the taste.
 Coffee - Iffy
That's two votes for Taylors of Harrogate Italian, so I might try that next.

There's quite a few Costas in the service areas around here.

My usual is a latte with vanilla flavouring.

A bit too sweet, but a nicer drink than the plain latte.

Coffee - Zero
If you dont like your coffee too strong, Taylors "lazy sunday" manages to get some flavour in without being strong.
 Coffee - Ted
It's three now Iffers. Actually I go for Taylors Hot Java Lava but I've opted for the Rich Eytie for a change this week.
Can't stand instant...not the drink of a gentleman.

When I was on the road, I was offered a drink at most garages, etc. Soon learned always to have tea as usually they bought the biggest and cheapest crappo instant they could find.

I have 3 methods of making it.
A 2 cup Bialetti which does it's business on the hob.
A 1 cup china mug with a fitted metal filter and a lid.
The usual way is a 4 cup Cafetiere which I will drink during a day.

I don't like drinking out of pot...it has to be china. That's the same with tea. We use semi skimmed, but if we've any cream in the fridge I'll just dribble half a teaspoon into my coffee...it smooths it up nicely.

Good coffees are available from Farrars of Kendal and The Exchange Coffee Co. of Clitheroe and elsewhere by mail order. I guess both will have websites.

I might try Whittards when I'm next in town.

Right, time for a coffee....sat on the patio with a pipeful of Holger-Dansk black & bourbon baccy.

Ted
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
>> Can't stand the smell of coffee, let alone the taste.

You poor chap.

In Egypt the coffee often has cardamoms in it. The combination of the two smells made a lot of Cairo smell of cats when I went there.
 Coffee - Crankcase
We don't really do tea or coffee, and had that rare thing, a visitor, the other day. Coffee was actually asked for, and I was told in no uncertain terms that my offering wasn't really up to scratch.

I thought Tesco value decaf with skimmed milk would have been ok, as that's as best as I drink, but apparently not so.

Coffee - Armel Coussine
>> I thought Tesco value decaf with skimmed milk would have been ok, as that's as best as I drink, but apparently not so.

Is this part of your pose of extreme stinginess Crankcase? Coffee isn't cheap actually, although the growers tend to get very little for it. Our morning coffee costs about a quid for two of us, not counting energy and milk.

I bet you brought out another case of Dom Perignon to celebrate after your rare visitor had left in disgust.

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 20:32
 Coffee - Zero
I understand they don't even have beds in Crankcase Villas.
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
I'm not surprised. They must have pawned all the furniture and got a second mortgage on the house to pay for all the Dom Perignon they are drinking when no one is around.

Perhaps they scorn Dom Perignon because it's the preferred tipple of successful coke dealers. Of course even better vintage champagne is probably available. I've never tried Krug though because Jeffrey Archole likes it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 20:48
 Coffee - Crankcase
*shuffles uncomfortably*

No, don't drink alcohol either.

Did toy with the idea of Blue Mountain once, but found that reading about it was interesting enough, didn't really want to actually try it or its rivals. Certainly don't fancy Kopi Luwak, stingy or no.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 21:32
 Coffee - legacylad
I am obviously a pleb because I buy the cheapest decaff that Asda (or Morrisons) sell, pour in boiling water, a spoonful of sugar, slop in some milk, and gulp it down. One mug a day.
After that its tap water all day.
Before getting to my local after work and indulging in Golden Pippin, with Benny & hot chasers in winter.
Sorry to say all these fancy coffees are wasted on me.
 Coffee - R.P.
And me - This latte nonsense has put me off buying coffee in cafes - I've found that the more basic the cafe the more honest the coffee is - Pete's Eats offer you filter or Nescafe - the Nescafe is very nice with hot milk.....
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
Latte schmatte... what the hell is it anyway?

What on earth is the point of drinking so-called 'decaff'? Like alcohol-free beer, sure to give you a headache or something immediately, and sure not to do what coffee does (or proper tea): give you a necessary jolt of stimulant.

I just don't understand the modern wimp. Nor do I want to.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
Never drink de-caffeinated coffee, non-alcoholic beer, never drink fizzy drinks, hardly ever drink water, never drink milk. Normally only drink black coffee,beer,wine, tea (no milk).

What on earth is this craze for walking about with a bottle of water or fizzy pop. The High street isn't the Sahara. You can survive more that 10 minutes without constantly sucking on a bottle of liquid.

Coffee - Ted

It's a breast substitute...poor deprived souls.

I never drink de-caff either, although I should. I find it difficult to get to sleep at night after 4 or 5 cups of strong filter. I don't seem to have any trouble in the chair at 6 o'clock when I want to watch the news, though !
Must be delayed action.

Ted
 Coffee - Armel Coussine
Spot on CGN.

An old friend, now dead, but in life certainly almost as debauched and depraved as I am, suddenly took to appearing with a bottle of high-priced tap water and slobbering at it in our sitting room. Under the influence of an old girlfriend of his I think.

It put me in a towering rage. But I still spoke at his funeral. His old childhood Cheshire friends were really pleased because my reading of three Zen Buddhist texts (he liked that sort of thing) really wound up their vicar, who had poncily refused to allow a Duke Ellington number to be played in his church (the deceased having been a jazz freak and having gone to Ellington's funeral happening to be in New York at the time). Standing at the edge of the huge crowd outside the church there, he had heard one old black guy say to his wife in a deadpan tone:

'Biggest funeral I ever seen.'
 Coffee - Clk Sec
Black coffee for me; currently Taylor's Lazy Sunday and Nescafe Green Blend.

>> What on earth is this craze for walking about with a bottle of water or
>> fizzy pop. The High street isn't the Sahara. You can survive more that 10 minutes
>> without constantly sucking on a bottle of liquid.

In my younger days the only folk who carried a water bottle were cyclists, although I didn't have one myself. More recently it's been unfashionable to jog around the block without liquid refreshment in hand, and, indeed, the craze seems to be spreading amongst the whole population.
 Coffee - Iffy
My middle brother is a water bottle sucker.

We are not especially close.

Seems Taylors Lazy Sunday is coming up on the rails in the ground coffee stakes.

Coffee - Dutchie
The Dutch make the best coffee.

Douwe Egberts and proper coffeemilk.Coffee pot and filter.

Must go to bed the coffee is keeping me awake.:)
 Coffee - Skoda
The Dutch make the best fruit tea too. I'm not a fan of fruit tea but I was coaxed into trying the pickwick brand (says owned by douwe egberts on the box but I can't find it in the UK) is nothing short of phenomenal.

We brought back what should have been near enough a years supply but it ended up lasting about 2 months. Really wish I could buy that in the UK.
 Coffee - Zero
>> The Dutch make the best coffee.

No Way Jose, I like the Netherlands a lot, and the Dutch people are great, but thier Coffee is barely average, and thier food, for the most part, is third rate.

Italians make the best Coffee, by a considerable margin.

Coffee - Pat
They make the best Satay sauce.

Pat
 Coffee - Zero
No they dont, Its better in indonesia and singapore.
 Coffee - Pat
In your opinion Z, but let's not forget that the rest of us are entitled to our own.

Pat
 Coffee - Zero
Have you been to, and eaten in Holland, Indonesia and Singapore Pat?
 Coffee - R.P.
OK - they grow the best flowers then !
 Coffee - R.P.
Each to his/her own....thankfully it's not a black and white world. Whilst out censuring on Sunday a mug of Nescafe's best instant with hot milk in Pete's Eats was pure ambrosia...
 Coffee - Dave_
>> a mug of Nescafe's best instant

Am I the only person here who actually prefers this to the cafetiere stuff?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 17 May 11 at 11:31
 Coffee - Zero
You ever seen the Dutch air conditioned flower lorries? I saw one that articulated in the middle to get round side streets and dipped down on its suspension so the driver could the boxes out. It was beautifully painted and prepared too!
 Coffee - Cliff Pope
Grind the beans, scoop into the glass pot, pour on the hot water, leave for half a minute, push the knob down, pour into mug. Simple and delicious.

It's almost as easy as making tea, except that I don't go so far as to shred my own leaves.
 Coffee - WillDeBeest
Ah, coffee! So many sins against it, so little space.

A useful trick I picked up from a BBC Scotland programme I fortuitously found on the iPlayer: after you've poured the hot water into the jug, give it a good stir and then skim off the froth. This will take away a lot of the coffee dust that can clog the filter screen and add unwanted bitterness to otherwise pleasantly rich, strong coffee, and also make the plunger much easier to, er, plung.

60g of coffee per litre of water is the ratio to start with. If you like weak coffee, make it strong and dilute it in the cup - an excess of water at the brewing stage dissolves bitter-tasting compounds you'd rather leave in the beans.

And if you buy ready-ground coffee (you don't, do you?) use it up quickly or throw it away. Once the bag's been open 48 hours, all that surface area exposed to the air means that all ground coffee tastes exactly the same - stale.

Oh, sorry - this is meant to be how do I like it. Black - either as an espresso or from the pot, as above - strong, smooth. No sugar, although I understand those who do. I'll occasionally do the frothy milk thing for fun, but the Gaggia espresso engine doesn't really approve and it's an awful faff for a warm milkshake.

Used to live round the corner from a roasting shop - still miss that fabulous smell, and the proprietor who would roast me a kilo at an hour's notice. I'd like to try a home roaster but they have a reputation for starting fires. One day.
 Coffee - Mapmaker
>>Breast substitute.

Yup. A large latte, served from a cup delivered through a small hole in the top can be most comforting when at ones desk at 7am and I'm sure it has something to do with that.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 17 May 11 at 11:35
 Coffee - Ted

This is something I've tried very occasionally.....Put a spoonful of coffee in a mug, Go and get the milk while the kettle boils.....Suffer memory loss....

Return to the cup...throw in a teabag and brew up. Stir it, taste...spit it out and start again....without the teabag this time ! Foul !

Best Mocha I ever had was from Oxford Road Rail station buffet. Small indy run by a nice lass. She used half drinking choc from the machine and half coffee....Luvverly !

Ted
 Coffee - Roger.
Instant:- Carte Noir.
Proper:- As served by a, (Spanish owned), worker's bar in Spain - from 1 € for a smallish glass (best) or around 1.30€ from a slightly more upmarket place. Expat.owned bars in Spain cannot make good coffee and add insult to injury by charging 2.30 € for the beastly stuff!
I once and only once, had a coffee from Starbucks - it was truly VILE, overpriced **$$
 Coffee - Iffy
...had a coffee from Starbucks - it was truly VILE...

That seems to be the general feeling about Starbucks.

I've stopped using them.

Costa Coffee and Cafe Nero are OK in my experience.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 17 May 11 at 11:55
 Coffee - Ted

I popped into a Tesco Express at Piccadilly bus station last week while getting the bus home.
I made a coffee from their machine to drink on the bus and went to the till. The lad asked why I used their coffee when there was a Starbucks next door....I made a vomiting face....I think he understood !

Ted
 Coffee - WillDeBeest
Coffee - especially the espresso process - is sensitive stuff. To work well it needs good beans, good equipment and skilled hands, all of which cost money. Lots of places buy a proper espresso and cappuccino machine but don't bother to train the operator; others rely on 'fully automatic' machines, which are horribly inconsistent. And Starbucks uses over-roasted beans that have lost any subtlety of flavour they once had.

Fortunately (for the chains), enough customers neither know how it ought to be done nor even like coffee very much anyway, so as long as the milk's frothy and they can cover the top with chocolate they're happy. I will agree that Caffè Nero is better than most, but even they vary too much according to who's working the machine.

Coffee - Zero
How do Starbucks survive? No-one I know has a good word for them.
 Coffee - Dutchie
Hello Zero.

It depends on the coffee.I dont mind the instant stuff drink it a lot.

But proper coffee should be made in a pot good quality beens (ground coffee.)

My mother used to add a touch of Buisman coffee extract with the coffee and Koffie melk.This is creamy and its suited for coffee.

That how we used to drink it .Douwe Egberts is good quality stuff.(I don't work for them)

I have tryed the Italian variety to strong and bitter.The French coffee is not the best and they can't make a decent cup of tea which the Brits are best at.

Haven't been to Germany for a while so dont know.I like their food sauerkraut mit worst and gravy is spot on.

Instant coffee is also nice made with full milk Nescafe for me .
 Coffee - Dutchie
I like Indonesinan food Rijsttafel all the trimmings and small portions '
To be honest I like any food Yorkshire pudding and beef .If you ever go across.

Try snert.(peas soep )Very nice or croquit Kroket in Dutch very tasty .Old fashion cooking for me The mens is was is est.(I dont know about the spelling on this but I keep trying.)
 Coffee - R.P.
Dutchie,

If you're ever up in N Wales, I'll treat you to a "small" coffee at Pete's in Llanberis. Rainy day is best !
 Coffee - Pat
www.indochef.com/

A colleague of mine, and a very good Chef too.

Pat
 Coffee - Dutchie
Thanks Pug.

We used to go to Wales by sea Port Talbot Swansea and Cardiff.

Nice people they remind me a bit of the Friesians in Holland they have there own language a bit like old English.I was born in the province of Groningen and we have always had a argument with the Friesians who where first in the lowlands.We reckon we where the first tribes from Germany building Holland from scratch.We spoke our own dialect at home and I had to learn Dutch when we moved to Rotterdam as a six year old.Have to go to Wales ones again lovely country side and good singers.

Coffee - apm
Caffeine gives me tachycardia, so I'm on decaf, but I still love coffee. For work, it's Clipper fairtrade instant (which isn't real coffee, but is quite pleasant nonetheless). At home, I use a Dualit Expressivo (Which? best buy, and produces an outstanding expresso), with ESE pods from ebay (Italian). The coffee is strong and very tasty with an exquisite crema. I occasionally buy beans, but find I can't get them ground finely enough for the expresso to make the best out of (they end up in the cafetiere).

Some may find the concept of a coffee lover being decaff bizarre. I still find I love the flavour though. By contrast, alc-free beer is not the same to me. And I think the best beer is brewed by.. the Germans (Augustiner Helle), British (Harveys Best), Belgians (Westvletern 8), depending which mood I'm in.

Alex.
 Coffee - Dutchie
Remember when they used to sell bottles of Pale Ale and stout don't see them anymore.
 Coffee - R.P.
Last time I had Pale Ale was in Malta - some traditions maintained....now it's all faux German largers - sadly.
 Coffee - Dutchie
So many things have changed when I was a youngster.Now a lot off people buy food and stick it in the microwave and job done.

I do like the efforts Jamie Oliver makes to change peoples habits and he is a young man.My mother was a good cook always made the effort to prepare a meal.I amazes me how much food is trown in the bin and wasted while there are so many people struggle to survive on a handfull of rice.The way of the world.
 Coffee - R.P.
Not here Dutchie - impoverished pensioner eats all...
 Coffee - Zero
One of the finest things known to man is the "sunday pie"

All the left overs from the sunday roast goes into a nice pie and baked in an oven.

Or the "left overs curry"

Or the "left overs shepards" pie..
 Coffee - R.P.
Left over fill in the blank in this day and age Zeddo.
 Coffee - neiltoo
Late to this thread, but a vote for Lavazza Rosso here, and Illy in Italy.
At home use cafetiere for groups, and a hob top espresso for just the two of us, Froth up semi skimmed microwaved milk for her capucino, espresso per me.

Italians make the best coffee, wherever they are in the world, followed by native Spaniards at home. German coffee in bars is generally good. No recent experience of French

Best coffee I've had in the UK was, surprisingly, at Manchester Airport, Terminal One, in Giraffe.
They did, however, appear to be staffed entirely by Poles.

Otherwise, cups of coffee bought in the UK are generally that word that never sullies my lips.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 17 May 11 at 14:24
 Coffee - Stuartli
Same subject, slightly different tack:

tinyurl.com/3t82fkp

slight tweak to link - Rob
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 17 May 11 at 15:16
 Coffee - WillDeBeest
Intriguing: coffee cures cancer, causes cancer, raises the value of your house and makes your breasts smaller. And I only made one of those up.
 Coffee - Zero
Only one is bad!
 Coffee - Stuartli
>>slight tweak to link - Rob>>

I did it as a Preview tinyURL for reasons that will no doubt be obvious...:-)
 Coffee - R.P.
I did wonder !
 Coffee - Bromptonaut
Iffy,

Taylors do a wide range and I think you just got the wrong one for your taste. I'd agree with Z, Lazy Sunday is ideal. Italian and Cafe Imperial are very palatable as well.

And if you get down to Harrogate, York or Ilkley their associate Betty's tea shops are well worth a visit. The one in Ilkley was a highlight of a trip to Grandma's when the kids were little and Mum still lived in Guiseley.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 17 May 11 at 22:51
 Coffee - PhilW
Similar tastes to Chris P I think. Coffee beans from Whittards (Santos and Java in our case ) and a De Longhi machine. Love the espresso or "grand cafe" it makes. Which brings me to "why can't we do a "grand cafe" in Britain?" For us black coffee lovers there is the choice of an espresso for a quick caffeine boost or an Americano - an espresso in a very large cup with half a pint of water added which eliminates all taste. I like an espresso with about same amount of water added but when I ask for that the "baristas" (that Polish bloke or lass serving!) look at me as if I'm mad! So I usually end up with a double espresso - now that does give you a boost!
Incidentally, there is a Whittards shop at outlet village at J28 on M1. Coffee beans (and grounds) 25% off and a free 125 grams if you buy a kilo. I was there yesterday!
 Coffee - Dutchie
Never been keen on black coffee gives me headache.

Best tea we have had for years is Ringtons good quality tea nice golden colour.

Good cup of tea and toasted tea cake with butter excellent.The Poles are more into wodka not really coffee people .(I think)
 Coffee - devonite
50/50 mix pf dark roast Atrabica and African, medium ground, is a good all-round "Posh Coffee!"
Latest Forum Posts