Non-motoring > Defective ball point pen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 26

Defective ball point pen - L'escargot
I've got a previously unused ball point pen and it refuses to write. What can I do, if anything, to get it to write.
 Defective ball point pen - Iffy
Warm it gently.
 Defective ball point pen - Armel Coussine
The ball may be seized. Scribble violently with it on some strong, rough-surfaced paper.

Only once have I ever popped the ball out doing that. But it doesn't always work.
Thanks iffy. I dunked the ball in warm water and it worked.
Reminds me of the this story, which might even be true.

The Americans spent millions of dollars developing a ball point pen which would write in zero gravity for use in space.

The Russians used a pencil.

>> The Americans spent millions of dollars developing a ball point pen which would write in
>> zero gravity for use in space.

I had one which would write upside down. I think it had a means of pressurising the ink.
 Defective ball point pen - Perky Penguin
This is/was the one

www.fisherspacepens.co.uk/acatalog/index.html?gclid=CO_7jc2SrqgCFYYTfAody33pfQ
 Defective ball point pen - R.P.
Weren't the original Papermates meant to do that ? I used them in school when the ban on ball points was relaxed.
 Defective ball point pen - Armel Coussine
>> I used them in school when the ban on ball points was relaxed.

Surely PU you are too young to have known the era of inkwells stuffed with squidgy blotting paper, powdered ink all over everything and everyone, bent nibs and all that palaver? I thought I was alone.
I avoided that but suffered at the dubious qualities of Quink and Platignum writing tools. Including a pot of black Quink that managed to unscrew its own lid in my satchel....I can still smell that particular ink as I type.
 Defective ball point pen - Hard Cheese

>> Weren't the original Papermates meant to do that ? >>

Yes, as I recall.

Defective ball point pen - Stuartli
I have the original version in silver.
I seem to recall it was advertised as having a "heart" that pumped ink to the point even if upside down.

We all wanted them because of this function.....of limited use in the real world.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 21 Apr 11 at 19:38
 Defective ball point pen - Perky Penguin
I think I shall put the titanium rainbow finish model on my birthday present list!
 Defective ball point pen - Bellboy
at one time a proper bic biro had a nib of steel and you could get them to work with a lighter flame on the bolly bearing
then they changed the nib ends to plastic and everything fell off if you introduced
THE FLAME
progress?
pah.........
 Defective ball point pen - Chris S
>> The Russians used a pencil.

I think this was an urban myth.

Pencils need sharpening - the las thing you wan floating around in zero gravity are splinters of wood and graphite that can get in peoples eyes, lungs, etc.
 Defective ball point pen - henry k
Read all about it
www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
The ball point which was advertised as being able to write upside down was the Papermate Powerpoint.

The nib was spring-loaded, suggesting pushing the pen against the paper pumped the ink.

Thanks for filling in that blank iffy - I loved these pens when I was a young shaver...
I can picture the advertisement you mentioned.

It had a line of little hearts throbbing along the refill as if the ink was being pumped to the point.

Defective ball point pen - Zero
It actually did pump ink, the top of the refill was a sprung loaded plunger into the ink tube that slightly pressurised the tube.
 Defective ball point pen - rtj70
You would have thought a self-propelling pencil would have been used. As is mentioned in henry's link.
 Defective ball point pen - Stuartli
>> You would have thought a self-propelling pencil would have been used. As is mentioned in henry's link.>>

Yes, but unleaded has been the norm for many years now...:-))
 Defective ball point pen - rtj70
>> Yes, but unleaded has been the norm for many years now...:-))

There's no lead in pencils. It's graphite ;-)
 Defective ball point pen - Fullchat
2 terms immediately spring to mind 'Austerity' and 'Credit crunch' :-)
 Defective ball point pen - Zero
>> 2 terms immediately spring to mind 'Austerity' and 'Credit crunch' :-)

Isnt that the two new Toyota models?
Brother's not long bought an Auris.

He likes the auto box which is better than the jerky one on his Civic.

My endearing mother is an occasional passenger.

She like the Auris, too, because it's a bit higher.

Latest Forum Posts