Non-motoring > How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 48

How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Robbie34
My Dyson Animal vac has ceased to work and I want to check the wiring. Unfortunately, I can't remove the switch to access the wiring. Does anybody know how to do this?

Cheers.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Fenlander
Which model?

Here is how to do it on a DC07... others are different...

www.sparesaver.com/vacuum-spares/help-and-support/dyson-section/dyson-technical-advice-450/dyson-dc07-technical-advice-459/dyson-dc07-changing-the-switch.html

If you google *replacing mains switch dyson ...* with the model there is tons of info... some good youtube videos too.

Like this one to do the switch on a DC04...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktMnoLYnuL0

I like Dysons!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 21 Apr 11 at 15:34
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Stuartli
It might sound silly, but have you checked the fuse? It's not unknown...:-))

See:

www.fixya.com/search/p515803-dyson_dc17_animal_bagless_upright/off_button

www.fixya.com/search/p34164-dyson_dc07_animal_bagless_upright/remove_off_switch

tinyurl.com/3ptce2l

Needs special Dyson tool apparently.
It's not the fuse. Unfortunately, you can't access the switch to check the mains cable. I think it is wire fatigue in the cable where it enters the switch, but I can't check it with my multi-meter. I replaced the plug, after cutting off a few inches of cable, but it was not at that end. Apparently, wire fatigue is a common fault on Dysons.
Thanks Fenlander. That first link was excellent. IOt was a bit difficult to remove the cover, but with some ingenuity, and a knife blade, I managed to prise it off and locate the connections.

I'm now going to check the cable with my meter.

This site is a wealth of information. I did a search with Google but never came across that link.

Thanks again.
If it's a DC04 failure of the cable close to the switch where the cable bends was common... many done under warranty but still a few about that go.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - RichardW
Have just re-built our DC02 with a new motor. Was pleasantly surprised at how well designed and built it was! The plenum chamber was full of (plaster) dust so it blew more dust out than it sucked in - 15 minutes with a screwdriver and it was apart and I was able to wash it all out. I did try and lube the bearings in the motor, but it seized up shortly after I put it back together (operator error I think!), and a new motor was only £40. Much quieter and more suck than it's had for a while - and no dust cloud. Should be good for another 12 years now...
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Iffy
Dysons always sound very loud to me.

But I do have a Henry, which is renowned for its quiet operation.

That's one of the reasons hotels like Henrys, apparently, that and its long cable and hose - good for reaching down corridors.

>>Apparently, wire fatigue is a common fault on Dysons.>>

Not too good reliability and a habit of falling apart if knocked against a chair or other furniture was usually the problem with Dysons - vacuum repairers love 'em...:-)

You can't beat a Sebo or a Miele and not much in it cost wise..:-)
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - L'escargot
I read somewhere that the suction of a Dyson was so strong it would remove so much carpet pile that it would shorten the life of the carpet.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Bellboy
has anyone ever met a person that hasnt had a problem with a dyson?
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - devonite
I have! the Hovel Hostess has never had one! (a Dyson - not a problem! she`s always got loads of them, problems with shoes, carrier bags, dog-wardens, car-park attendents. supermarket aisle cloggers, kids, dogs, me, the goldfish, the garden, carrots carrots and even more carrots. the only problem she doesn1t have is having a bloomin problen!!! oh an me going to the pub to give her some peace! in fact thats where i`m sneaking of to in a mo when she goes for her "wallow")
>>>has anyone ever met a person that hasnt had a problem with a dyson?

Ha... Dysons like Citroens can detect a non-believer... then you get what you deserve!

How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - R.P.
Oh dear devonite....bad day ?
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - -
>> has anyone ever met a person that hasnt had a problem with a dyson?
>>

Never had one, have no intention of having one, will never have a problem with one.

What's the big deal anyway, saw one of the washing machine's somewhere, ugly brute, don't hear them being recommended when anyone asks.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Robin O'Reliant
On the subject of vacuum cleaners, has anyone ever bought one of those things they sell door to door? Name escapes me but they cost as much as a decent second hand car. The bloke we had round some years ago was quite miffed when I couldn't stop laughing at the price.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - swiss tony
I think you mean 'Kirby'

IIRC made in America by a subsidiary of Snap On.
VERY well made - VERY VERY expensive!

www.kirby.com/
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - henry k
Lots of interesting info on Kirby kit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Company
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Hard Cheese

Our DC04 is around 10 years old, the motor failed just out of warranty though I replaced it myself (parts around £35 IIRC) and it has been fine since but for the switch also needing replacing a year or so ago.

It will soon be retired to the garage though another Dyson will replace it.

Some posh friends of mine had vacuum cleaner pipework built into their house, rather like mains wiring.

Each room had a powered vacuum socket, so all you needed to do was plug in a pipe.

The Kirby wasn't a bad product, but the price was way, way OTT.

Once had a salesman at our house following a promotion; he was also somewhat miffed that I wasn't prepared to pay the commission he would have earned by paying the outrageous price sought.

But much of the house was a lot cleaner than before he came thanks to his almost exhaustive demonsttation....:-)
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - CGNorwich
>> has anyone ever met a person that hasnt had a problem with a dyson?
>>
>>

Probably not. My wife worked in John Lewis and more Dyson's were returned as faulty than any other cleaner. Miele and Sebo were rated the most reliable
It was the switch. It's a strange bit of work: I've never seen anything similar. The tiny spring had somehow come lose, and after messing about with it I managed to get it to work and put it back together. It wasn't the cable as I first thought.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - R.P.
When I lost my first wife, in the first tranche of a clear out, both Vacuum cleaners went, both Electrolux - one was made in the USA and built to last out of proper materials, the second was visually similar to the first was put together in China and was made out of horribly cheap materials - they were replaced with an impulse bought Vax (Tesco very early one morning) - it was rubbish and broke within the first few days. On the recommendation of a friend I bought a Miele - expensive but very well made, very heavy but it feels like proper "kit"... just used it now.
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Pat
>>, very heavy but it feels like proper "kit"... <<

Absolute proof, if ever it was needed, that men should be the only ones to use them.

I have a Dyson, but never again.
I bought the lightest upright in their range and it lives downstairs, while I continue to use the old one upstairs.

Built for men, by men and should only be used by men.

Pat
 How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - Zero
A dyson is highly overstyled. Anything that is highly overstyled often has to accept engineering constraints.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 10:05
No excuse Z, just get that Shake and Vac out and get on with it.

Pat

Don't forget the frilly pinny:)
I have a bosch vacuum actually Pat, and its crap.

Re the pinny, I cant wear heels round the house, they would mark the stripped floorboards.
That's the problem with nearly all upright cleaners you need to be quite strong to wield them, those Dysons and others are a joke size and weight wise.

Pat, look at Oreck, extremely light, but simple and robust and reasonably priced on ebay last time i looked...we have 2 of them, the oldest must be well over 12 now and still going strong...very long cable too.

Like most blokes i hadn't given the weight of these a thought, till me dear old mum had a hip breaking fall, that knocked the stuffing out of her, managed to find an Electrolux recharcheable upright for her, smaller than mains jobbies and very light, she was as happy as larry with it.
Henrys are quite heavy to drag around, but they are simple and robust.

I've seen Orecks on QVC and they look good, but they are upright only.

You have to buy a separate machine if you want a hose, to do the car for example.

>> You have to buy a separate machine if you want a hose, to do the
>> car for example.

Agreed, i bought a wetndry with carpet/upholstery washing capabilities for those jobs.

QVC...just shows how bad mainstream telly's got, some decent totty demonstrators now and again, so they tell me :-)
I'll have a look at those then the Dyson can be retired to the garage with all it's car attachment bits.

Pat
...I'll have a look at those...

Big selling point of the Oreck is it's lightness.

If you only need an upright indoors, it could be just the job.
Am I right in thinking, as Iffy seems to say, Oreck give you a seperate small cylinder vacuum with most models because their uprights don't have a hose/tools facility even to be bought as extras?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 12:06
...Oreck give you a seperate small cylinder vacuum...

Give?

They will sell you a separate cylinder vacuum.

Or you can buy both as a package deal.

Oreck's on QVC tomorrow at 2pm:

tinyurl.com/3eett89

Also 9pm.

Note to PVR owners: the 2pm programme is currently showing as something else on the on-screen guide, it often happens with QVC, but I imagine the website will be correct.

The presentation lasts an hour, but the information is repeated, so you only need to watch the first 20 minutes.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 13:11
You keep tabs on the QVC schedules?

Good lord.
what's QVC?
...what's QVC...

A globally successful retailer:

www.gsicommerce.com/clients/qvc/

A outlet used to offload unsellable products to unsophisticated consumers.
...A outlet used to offload unsellable products...

By Dell, Samsung, Acer, Bose, Nikon, Fuji...just to name a few of the techie ones.

>> ...A outlet used to offload unsellable products...
>>
>> By Dell, Samsung, Acer, Bose, Nikon, Fuji...just to name a few of the techie ones.

Yeah, the OLD stock. At NEW prices.

Put it like this, they sell stuff people don't want.

You didn't get your Macbook there did you, not getting your IPOD there either are you.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 14:50
...Yeah, the OLD stock. At NEW prices...

Is the Nintendo 3D old stock?

Don't think so.

Playstation Move? Whatever they call the X-Box with controllers you wave about?

They've been pushing Samsung 3D tellys of late, and the Bose stuff is current.

There was a Fuji 3D compact camera on the other day - two lenses side by side, like a pair of eyes.

Which is one of the reasons I watch, it's a chance to window shop products I don't really want, but am interested to have a look at.

The two screen Acer laptop I mentioned on here a few weeks ago is a new product.

Again, that's something I don't want, but am curious to have a look at.

QVC doesn't sell Apple, so what?

Not every gadget retailer does.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 15:04
Our first Oreck came from QVC, they offered 2 years extra warranty with it at the time, second one via flea bay.

The price was good and Oreck's don't really change...if it ain't broke.

Is it worth a look Iffy, any good perving of nice totty these days?

I bet you guys stand in awe at the JML TV stand in the local Robert Dyas as well.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Apr 11 at 15:13
...any nice totty...

The best one is Julia Roberts, very attractive woman in an earthy fiftysomething sort of way.

Mention of QVC and vacuum cleaners brings to mind the great QVC Daewoo Vacuum Disaster:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UY7pWCQxTY

The clip is 10 minutes and not brilliant quality, but is well worth watching all the way through.

It revolves around the stupid contraption which will not do what the expert guest wants it to.

There is genuine tension between the guest and presenter Charlie Brook, who at the end is literally in tears of laughter.

His pay-off line: "You've missed a bit!" is comedy of the highest quality.

Oh a shopping channel. Somehow I never thought people actually bought anything from them but I suppose they must.
...Oh a shopping channel...

Worth tuning in at midnight tonight (strictly, first thing Sunday morning) if you like gadgets.

Midnight is when QVC launches its featured item of the day.

The programme is Samsung Innovations, so it will be one of their latest products, probably a television.

tinyurl.com/3cr4j45

How Do I Remove On/Off Switch On Dyson? - DP
We have a DC04 Absolute which is now nine years old.

The flexi-hose split after about six years, and had to be replaced. I also carried out a repair to the mains switch wiring around the same time.

There is no perceptible difference in performance between now and the day we bought it. Fabulous bit of kit.
Latest Forum Posts