Non-motoring > Vitamins and Supplements Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 10

Vitamins and Supplements - Perky Penguin
Please may I have people's comments on the effectiveness or otherwise of these products?

I see that many of things that are on sale use weasel words and phrases to describe their effectiveness. Eg:-

Research suggests that -----

It is thought that use of this product may - - - -

Many people find that - - - -

Hundreds of satisfied users say - - - -

Etc!

Are there any supplements and vitamins that really are essential for a bus pass holder on a probably not completely balanced diet?
 Vitamins and Supplements - CGNorwich
Personally I would look at my diet. A reasonably balanced diet will normally give you all the vitamins you need unless you have very specific health problems. A much better approach and more enjoyable route than dosing yourself with vitamins and supplements. Good advice on the NHS site.

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1122.aspx?categoryid=51&subcategoryid=168
 Vitamins and Supplements - Slidingpillar
Research suggests that
But more research might suggest the opposite...

It is thought that use of this product may
As a result of this advert...

Many people find that
Cream cheese makes excellent barrier cream...

Hundreds of satisfied users say
This product works as no way are they admitting to wasting money...

I'm a bit of a sceptic really.

Vitamins and Supplements - Focusless
I take a multivitamin and a cod liver oil on the days I'm in the office - 3 days per week. As far as the vitamins are concerned I feel it saves me having to eat fresh fruit etc. to achieve my 5 a day - I can't be bothered with it! (Although I do eat bananas regularly.) The cod liver oil might be helping my joints, which get a bit of a pounding on the runs that form part of my commute.

It could just be a waste of money, but as they're only Asda own brand and less than 5p for the 2, it's not much :)
 Vitamins and Supplements - busbee
Some definitely do work. Such as Gaucosamine and Chondroitin for some joint pains. Two of my friends see an improvement when taking them and the loss of that when they stop. I take it from time to time.

I have seen the beneficial effects of taking the vitamin B complex and its loss when discontinued. It is often prescribed for old people with memory problems. It is not a cure but it can help. The Doc says old people can have a problem in absorbing B. Something to do with the conversion process to become absorbed.

Horizon did a program about omega 3 and the BBC website had several favourable comments afterwards from persons who had been taking it. One, in particular I remember, was a father with a problem child that had to go to a special school and he started giving it to her, did not tell the school, but some time afterwards he got a phone call from a teacher who had seen a distinct improvement in attitude and wanted to tell the father about it.

Cod liver oil is beneficial.

My attitude is, if it ain't harmful, might do some good, add it in to the diet. I am a lot older than most of the scribes on here so I can't be that far wrong.

Last edited by: busbee on Thu 21 Apr 11 at 15:35
 Vitamins and Supplements - Focusless
>> Horizon did a program about omega 3 and the BBC website had several favourable comments
>> afterwards from persons who had been taking it.

Lord Robert Winston is a fan.

EDIT: specifically for helping kids concentrate IIRC
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 21 Apr 11 at 15:38
 Vitamins and Supplements - Mike Hannon
I take a Tesco or Wilko one-a-day cod liver oil capsule because my knees play up less and we both take one vitamin B1 Thiamin tablet each day because, to our surprise, it really works against insect bites and stings, which can be a problem here. We only tried it at the insistence of a friend and it takes about a month to kick in so we start taking them in February each year. You get fewer bites and if you are bitten or stung it is less of a problem. Don't ask me why.
I don't think multivitamins are any substitute for 'five a day'. We manage more than five fruit and veg every day without the slightest problem - starting with orange, apple and banana with unsweetened muesli for breakfast.
Needless to say, the disgraceful French pharmacie monopoly system means our few requirements come from the UK, at about a quarter of the local price.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Thu 21 Apr 11 at 15:42
 Vitamins and Supplements - Zero
Yes, how is it that most pharmacies and pharmacy regulation in Europe is like something from the dark ages?
 Vitamins and Supplements - Mike Hannon
Like most systems in France, it's a closely guarded closed shop. You can't even buy an aspirin in any other type of shop and until very recently almost all pharmacie prices were eyewatering. That's why the French pester their doctors all the time and don't consider they have had value for money from a visit unless they leave the pharmacie with two carrier bags of 'medicaments' - paid for through the social system and their monthly top-up insurance, so they don't actually hand over any cash.
I happened to be with my friend the other day when he bought two small plastic disposable syringes - only available from the pharmacie - '10 euros to you Monsieur'. Should you wonder, he uses them to grease the door locks on his Z3s...
 Vitamins and Supplements - bathtub tom
I take glucosamine and chondroitin. I'm told by others that you won't notice a difference, but you will if you stop! Seems like it could be an honest assessment.

I was recommended vitamin B complex years ago as an addition to other insect repellents. SWMBO reckons she never gets bitten by insects when I'm around.
 Vitamins and Supplements - Perky Penguin
Or even at 1/5th of the price from the VAT free outlets in Jersey and Guernsey?
Latest Forum Posts