Non-motoring > Bust dishwasher Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 24

Bust dishwasher - mikeyb
Call at work for the Mrs today in a flap as she had realised that the diswasher has packed up. The trip switch went yesterday, and thought nothing of it until realising that dishwasher is dead (and still full of dirty dishes)

Its a Bosch Excel and I guess its between 9 and 10 years old so has given good service.

Decided not worth tring to fix it (had a poke about, changed the fuse) and to be honest it looks odd in our kitchen anayway as all the other appliances are stainless steel, but I refused to replace it until it failed.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a replacement, or suggest models to avoid?
 Bust dishwasher - Zero
I have a bosch excell 1/2 size. Its 4 years old and never given a whiff of trouble. Yours worked for a good long time for a dish washer, so why not another bosch?
 Bust dishwasher - Bellboy
if my dishwasher bust and refused to work i would seek a divorce
 Bust dishwasher - rtj70
Most on here would recommend a Bosch. Most electrical problems for dishwashers (I was told by a repair guy) was the wiring at the front. It is constantly being bent as the door is opened closed - most have their controls on the front/top of the door.

Last one I bought was a Siemens (so a posher Bosch then) and it was very well built. When looking at dishwashers for step son I looked at Bosch in Currys and noted they are now built to a price too. Where there was metal before a lot will now be plastic.
 Bust dishwasher - Bellboy
plastic is cheaper than metal
bosch are saving you money
or trying to
siemens make nice trains and phones
however their mot plan is balderdash
so beware the ides of quick wash
 Bust dishwasher - Kevin
>The trip switch went yesterday,

It will probably be the heating element. Our 10yo Bosch went the same way about 18 months ago. Water would run for a few seconds then the fuse popped when the heater switched on.

New element approx £80 and difficult to get to, so at least an hour labour - probably two hours if you do it yourself.

We decided to replace it and bought another Bosch but wish we hadn't.

The new one is noisier, the shelf layout is appalling and it doesn't wash half as well as the old one.

It will be replaced as part of a kitchen refurb this summer but I'm not sure what with.
 Bust dishwasher - rtj70
>> The new one is noisier, the shelf layout is appalling and it doesn't wash half as well as the old one.

The Siemens we had was very quiet and well built. And had adjustable shelfs etc. The Bosch's I saw last December in Currys seemed a lot cheaper built. And probably were. Some good deals but when we got the Siemens (admittedly 5 years ago now I think) it was about £350 with a 5 year guarantee. And was cheaper than a lot of the decent Bosch's at the time.

One thing to Siemens did well was wash most things on the quick wash (40 deg C I think). The dishwasher that came with this house is also from the Bosch/Siemens family (Neff? Can't recall) but the quick was is only 30 deg C so not as useful.
 Bust dishwasher - Ted
We had a Bosch for some years, I don't know what model now. Like Rob, we suffered a lot from the wiring breaking at the bottom of the door. I was constantly repairing it. I can't remember if this killed it in the end, I think so.

Our local indy, a little more expensive, but used by us for all our appliances for years recommended a CDA, which we now have. Control panel above the door so no moving cables to break. It does what it's paid to do very well. Without digging out the bill, I think it's about 7 yrs old.
It's an integrated though...I don't know if you can get a SS panel.

Ted
 Bust dishwasher - rtj70
The good deal we got on the Siemens dishwasher was near you Ted. A&S Domestics. Our friendly repair guy also live near there.

Before the Siemens we had an integrated washer. The original had given up (wiring and then some other problems) so I had another integrated but a low end one. They cost so much more for good ones. It didn't last too long. We then cut the wood trim at floor level to fit the standalone white Siemens.

Had to convince my wife the white Siemens would look okay though - but it did.
 Bust dishwasher - Ted

I know them well. I haven't used them since they ripped me off nearly 40 yrs ago when something went wrong with our Keymatic ( remember them ? ) I had limited experience of things electrical then......I soon grew up and learned !

We use Appliance Care on Higher Road, Urmston. Nice little outfit Our new washer was trying to escape from under the worktop at Chrimbo. I rang to see if they could give me any tips and after I'd checked that the transit screws were out, just in case their fitter had forgotten, they came and replaced it with a new one a day or so later, saying they always wanted to keep a long-standing customer happy.

I like that sort of service.

Ted
 Bust dishwasher - -
Miele has not given a moments trouble, must be coming up for 9 years now.

Has a nice layout too, low flat top shelf for cutlery.
 Bust dishwasher - Cliff Pope
I vote for Miele too. Expensive, but seems very reliable, and extraordinarily quiet, which may be important.
The cutlery tray is a brilliant invention. It was dead space before, now it will takle masses of cutlery freeing up space where the basket would have been. It's fiddly to load, but it pays off when you empty it - just gather up all the forks or whatever in one hand and pop straight into the drawer.

It also has an excellent filter - big capacity, and easy to release and re-fit.
 Bust dishwasher - Iffy
The plastic bowl in the caravan has never given a moment's bother in five years, and it should be fine for another five.

Although I am on the last of the 'three for a pound' washing up brushes.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 08:34
 Bust dishwasher - Dog
We've lived in 4 owses in Cornwall (5th toomorra) and they've had these ere dishy washer thingamajigs but - we haven't never not ever used one of them - not even once to try it out, like.

The new house (Cottage) has got a tumble down dryer, now that we will use!
 Bust dishwasher - Clk Sec
I would be more inclined to use the dishwasher and dump the tumble dryer.
 Bust dishwasher - Dog
>>I would be more inclined to use the dishwasher and dump the tumble dryer<<

The thing is comrade C/S - in Cornwall, it usually rains 6 days a week + twice on Sundays,
so a dryer will come in andy, like.
>>The thing is comrade C/S - in Cornwall, it usually rains 6 days a week + twice on Sundays,

Point taken, Dog. We were forced to abort a holiday in your neck of the woods a few years ago.
 Bust dishwasher - Dog
>>Point taken, Dog. We were forced to abort a holiday in your neck of the woods a few years ago<<

Come on down! (and help us moove) the weather is glorious.
>>Come on down! (and help us moove) the weather is glorious.

That's very kind of you. I'll wait until you're settled in, though.
We have a Siemens dishwasher and washing machine. Both work well, but are only 2 years old.
 Bust dishwasher - mikeyb
Had a look at the Bosch offerings, but none feel as solid and well built as the outgoing model. Looking to spend circa 300 which is right at the entry end of the range which appears to have less features to.

I understand that Beko are OK?????? Quite like the look of this one

tinyurl.com/3le7bu

Has good reports on revoo(sp) - appears to be quite which would be a bonus as we eat in the kitchen.

Have a 15% off and free delivery voucher so makes it around 300 which based on spec looks good value

Bust dishwasher - rtj70
>> Had a look at the Bosch offerings, but none feel as solid and well built as the outgoing model

That's what I found last December. I was previously singing the praises of the Siemens we had and also the Bosch's I'd looked at. Then the ones for sale were a come-down build quality wise.

If the Siemens was still as well built as the last one we had I'd pay the extra.

A thing I liked about the Siemens (and the Bosch and the Neff?? we have) is you can take out the top rack and fit a spray nozzle at the back of the dishwasher and then wash full height items like the trays from inside the oven. Or do they all do that?

Also the Siemens let you adjust the height of the top rack to accommodate different sized items.

I'd certainly take a look in John Lewis, e.g.

www.johnlewis.com/230911073/Product.aspx
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 18:04
 Bust dishwasher - rtj70
The thing I find amazing if true about dishwashers, is the estimated water consumption per annum. The one I link to above says 2200 litres. So if on a water meter that's 2.2 units. For us that's about £5.50 I think.
 Bust dishwasher - Fenlander
We put in a great deal of effort to manage a 500mm dishwasher in our small cottage kitchen at Mrs F's behest. She uses it all the while but I refuse and go for the sink.
 Bust dishwasher - Pat
I discovered the joys of washing up when I developed arthritic hands.

You can keep your dish wasers, I'll just stand there and savour the weightless, pain free moments daydreaming about how it used to be!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts