Adele. - Dog
Grrreat voice!
 Adele. - Clk Sec
Nice one, Dog.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 20:11
 Adele. - CGNorwich
Its all over then - the fat lady sings!
 Adele. - BobbyG
Dog, brilliant song from a great singer.

After enjoying a presentation from Andy Parks from John Lewis Partnership earlier this week, prompted me to look this one up

Ellie Goulding
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCp_Oubwi0

Personally I think this is a great version of the song. Another great female singer.
 Adele. - Dog
>>Personally I think this is a great version of the song. Another great female singer<<

Nice one! I don't always take to cover versions of well known songs, but I like the way she puts that over.
 Adele. - Fullchat
Liked the Billy Paul version
 Adele. - Fullchat
Timed out.:-(

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4OOKqAiJM
 Adele. - Dog
>>Liked the Billy Paul version<<

Interesting version, perhaps it's one of those songs that takes to covering, like "I will always luv you", originally sung (and written) by Dolly (the breasts) Parton, but has been covered by many female singers,
including every female singer in Tenerife!
 Adele. - Dog
Dolly ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ
 Adele. - Fursty Ferret
BBC's usual incompetent sound mixing.

Try this one - far more impressive, since she sang it live at the Brit Awards, pretty much spot on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY
 Adele. - BobbyG
Excellent Alfa
 Adele. - Dog
Totally natural, and sung from the heart.
 Adele. - rtj70
Heard a few songs on the radio and tagged them with Shazam and then listened to the Album 21 and liked it so bought it. I think it was about £5 on Amazon at the time. I also liked Chasing Pavements which is on the Album 19 but I don't like that album enough to buy it.

I think she still has two singles in the top 10 in the UK. And did have her both albums at number one and two. But she's talented.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 21:22
 Adele. - rtj70
And Alfa Floor that is a really good Youtube video of the single. I listed to the album a few times when test driving the Passat a few weeks ago. I did some of the Snake Pass in it on the Friday afternoon in the day light with that on loudish and then decided to test the bi-xenons so did the Snake and Woodhead passes. Good test of the ability of the sat nav to play MP3's whilst doing routing too...

My favourite album at the moment.
 Adele. - BobbyG
Well Rob, on the basis of your recommendation, I am off to Tesco to buy it right now!
Fancy some new music for the ipod!
 Adele. - BobbyG
Well, this is the first CD that has shown the track names on my Altea display (other than mp3 compilations).

However it has also shown up how woeful the speakers are in the car :(
 Adele. - Zero
Yes, the head unit is actually quite good, the speakers however really are rubbish. You think it has tweeters too dont you? It dont, they are just smaller spealers wired in series with the other ones. Complete garbage.

40 quid will get you a good set of coaxials in the doors and the noise will be transformed.

Adele. - rtj70
Hope you like the album though. Especially if you bought it on my recommendation ;-) It sounded good really loud in the Passat CC which I've ordered - well sent the order to the lease company. It will be the most expensive car I've had at just short of £29k! But the equivalent of what I currently drive is probably £24k since I got it October 2007.

Bobby, I also sent you a mail anyway. In case you don't check for a bit.
 Adele. - BobbyG
Cheers Rob, will check just now.
Wouldn't flatter you too much saying I bought it completely on your recommendation but the original post meant that I was now having a youtube night, searching through finding various tunes I like. :)

Things like Corrs / Bono - Summer Wine
Hotel California
Bee Gees Masachusetts
Neil Diamond and, I don't mind admitting it, I still enjoy watching Subo's initial audition on BGT.
Les Mis - Do you hear the people sing

And, not forgetting some great (German) Bagpipe music -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieFS785QPk

I was at a Regional School concert recently where they had brass, wind, rock and pipe bands and the pipe band played this - absolutely fantastic hearing it live.
I am not a big fan of "Traditional Scots Music" but seeing the massed bands at the Edinburgh Tattoo was a fantastic experience.
 Adele. - Zero
>> And, not forgetting some great (German) Bagpipe music -
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieFS785QPk
>>
>> I was at a Regional School concert recently where they had brass, wind, rock and
>> pipe bands and the pipe band played this - absolutely fantastic hearing it live.
>> I am not a big fan of "Traditional Scots Music" but seeing the massed bands
>> at the Edinburgh Tattoo was a fantastic experience.

Cancel the Altea Speaker upgrade, not needed.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 23:38
 Adele. - BobbyG
Ha ha, you prefer some Morris Dancing music???? :)
 Adele. - Focusless
>> Les Mis - Do you hear the people sing

The wind band I play in are doing a Les Mis selection in a concert tonight (All Saints, Wokingham - tickets still available) and there's bits in it which make the hairs on my arms and neck stand up every time we play it. Stirring stuff.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 15:18
 Adele. - Hard Cheese

Got both albums, good and growing on me, yes "Someone like you" is a good song.

Ellie Goulding's version of "Your Song" is all wrong around the line "i'm not one of those who can easily hide".

Adele. - Zero
We have a glut of really good female singers right now

Amy Mcdonald, Imelda May, Adele, Paloma Faith, Duffy and many more.

And I quite like Caro Emerald from Holland, there are a couple of good tracks on her Album, scenes from the cutting room floor.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 21:56
 Adele. - rtj70
>> Amy Mcdonald, Imelda May, Adele, Paloma Faith, Duffy and many more.

Also have Amy McDonald and Duffy albums and like them a lot too. Will check out Imelda May and Paloma Faith now. Cheers.
 Adele. - Fenlander
I'm not sure about Adele.... is it just the novelty of a pop singer than can actually sing a song?

Ellie Goulding seems a really nice girl. Saw her in concert early 2010... she was really just a folk singer with a guitar that was picked up by a pop producer... but she's not looked back since then.

I'm currently checking out Clare Maguire... really like this...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07jq-rKEg0

Also Jessie J who I guess would be a step too far for most here??...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBYOl-HpPRM

Edit: Paloma's on my list too... saw her last year.... and Marina too... might have linked her before..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHINokmH6w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 22:07
 Adele. - Zero
>> I'm currently checking out Clare Maguire... really like this...
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07jq-rKEg0

prefer her remixed!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8TbZvy2msQ

> Also Jessie J who I guess would be a step too far for most here??...

Dont think so, she is good.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 22:18
 Adele. - Dog
Great songs F/L - all these singers have beautiful eyes = windows to the soul!
 Adele. - mikeyb
Not a fan of the usual talent shows, however I make an exception for Emma's imagination in that she is talented and wriotes all her own material

www.car4play.com/forum/post/edit/reply.htm?m=131365
 Adele. - BobbyG
Version one
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpAgMxhx30

or version two
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBs8dU4Pb8

place your votes now panel...........
 Adele. - rtj70
Snow Patrol for me! I only got into Snow Patrol due to Chasing Cars being the music on Grey's Anatomy. But for these two clips... no comparison.
 Adele. - BobbyG
Aahh Chasing Cars, fantastic song!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLkdXNLk2o

with some Scottish backing vocals :)
 Adele. - Stuartli
>> Aahh Chasing Cars, fantastic song!!! >> with some Scottish backing vocals :)>>

As I've said elsewhere, one of my favourites. I've always been particularly fond of female Scottish singers (Socttish grandmother and half-Scottish mother) such as Annie Lennox, Sharleen Spiteri, K T Tunstall, Amy McDonald, Edi Reader etc.

But one of the original favourites was/still is Barbara Dickson and her supremely (to me) clear, exquisite voice. Had a lot of hits over the years but probably her first big one was Answer Me, thanks to appearing on The Two Ronnies for several weeks when it was one of the highlighted songs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqE2sIaVR4

Top of the Pops version:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7sq3l0Sb8A&feature=related

Another female singer-songwriter whose songs are worth investigating is Beverley Craven:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_efZerCZoU

and this one (Mollie's Song, written after the birth of her daughter):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzmJIwesoE

Adele. - Stuartli
Further to above, many parents who've had offspring leaving home for university etc will emphasise with Suzy Bogguss and her beautiful song, Letting Go:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyGae5mYoo
 Adele. - Dog
Letting Go:

Nice one - I'd never heard of Suzy Bogguss before.

Adele. - Stuartli
>> Letting Go:

>> Nice one - I'd never heard of Suzy Bogguss before.>>

One of the original New Country singers late 80s/early 90s. Saw her live (in Morecambe of all places!) in 1990.

Like Eva Cassidy, one of the late Paul Walters (Terry Wogan radio programme producer) "finds" and promoted by Wogan at the time. She collaborated a lot with Chet Atkins as well. I have a couple of her albums.

www.bogguss.com/home/

www.suzybogguss.com/

An English equivalent to the US country stars is Sarah Jory, whose also an excellent steel guitar musician (one of my favourite instruments) as well as singer. You might remember one of her hits, Even Then. Track of Sarah singing and playing at:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXRXE71Rwc&feature=related

Adele. - Dog
>>An English equivalent to the US country stars is Sarah Jory<<

Nope! never heard of her, Stuart,
I found that song to be very relaxing though and I've always liked the sound of those slide guitars,
Amazing to learn she's sort-of English (from Reading!)

Here is a song (and singer) that really 'does it' for me, whenever it comes on the wireless, I have to stop what I'm doing and wind the volume up!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5X-p2C0Y
 Adele. - Stuartli
>>Here is a song (and singer) that really 'does it' for me, whenever it comes on the wireless, I have to stop what I'm doing and wind the volume up!

Yes, a great singer who sadly died far, far too young (in a plane crash as you are no doubt aware).
 Adele. - Dog
>>Yes, a great singer who sadly died far, far too young (in a plane crash as you are no doubt aware)<<

Aye ... btw, I've got a confession to make - I can tell you about it, being it's way up the top of this thread, and no-one else we get to know about it ... I'm a secret admirer of Doris Day!

There - I've come out now, and feel so much better for it :-D

She is 88 now and I once had her on vinyl, well - I had one of her LP's that is.
 Adele. - Clk Sec
>> being it's way up the top of this thread, and no-one else we get
>> to know about it ...

Except moi...
 Adele. - Dog
>>Except moi...<<

Well, you're OK friend - it's "the others"!!
 Adele. - Focusless
>> Aye ... btw, I've got a confession to make - I can tell you about
>> it, being it's way up the top of this thread, and no-one else we get
>> to know about it ... I'm a secret admirer of Doris Day!

At our band concert on Saturday evening where we played the Les Mis selection (see above), we also played a Doris Day selection. It went down very well, helped by the conductor getting words printed in the programmes so everyone could sing along, and by the fact that the average age of one of our audience is probably about 60.
 Adele. - Stuartli
>>.. I'm a secret admirer of Doris Day!>>

Nowt wrong with that - I saw virtually all her films, along with those of Jane Powell, Jane Russell and others.

In fact we could start a thread on favourite film musicals, starting with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma (on TV recently), West Side Story, No Business Like Show Business, Some Like It Hot (a true classic) etc...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 09:54
 Adele. - Dog
>>so everyone could sing along, and by the fact that the average age of one of our audience is probably about 60<<

A few aging hippies there then :)

>>along with those of Jane Powell, Jane Russell and others<<

That reminds me - I must get to watch The Outlaw soon, I missed it when it was on BBC4 recently.

Adele. - Hard Cheese

Snow Patrol.

This is a great female voice:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJmmaIGiGBg

As is this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJiuXmZfpk

Though I prefer Billy Joel's original version.

Adele. - BobbyG
From New Yoirk State of Mind to Empire State of Mind

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4IiccUjGps

another great female artist

could get some word association / lateral thinking going here..........
 Adele. - Stuartli
I'm a great fan of Snow Patrol, but this is the one that I particularly enjoy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w
 Adele. - Zero
Snow Patrol, - Hate leona lewis.

>> As is this:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJiuXmZfpk

Ohh No, She has a far too "nasal" tone, and never seems to loose the worse of her accent when singing.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 08:31
 Adele. - Dave_
Daily Mash article about Adele: bit.ly/hTLoTL
(contains the usual swearing).
 Adele. - Stuartli
>>Daily Mash article about Adele: bit.ly/hTLoTL>>

Variation, surely, on the joke that Apple Computer announced today that it has developed a computer chip that can store and play high fidelity music in women's breast implants.

The iBoob will cost between $499 and $699, depending on the speaker size. This is considered to be a major breakthrough because women have always complained about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.
 Adele. - Stuartli
You seem to have forgotten Make You Feel My Love....:-)
 Adele. - Fenlander
Snow patrol over LL for me in that particular circumstance.

Here's another for you... not really going to work though if you don't have a sub on the PC sound.

Obviously not the best as a pure singer but a sweet *little* voice from a Blackpool singer (her Dad's a car dealer). Saw Little Boots in 2010... that bassline around 2.15 nearly dissolved our internal organs in a small venue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qODB66ZDo8

Anyone hear what the bassline is a nod to?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 10:59
 Adele. - Dog
>>Anyone hear what the bassline is a nod to?<<

Musically, it reminds me of Gary Numan (couldn't hear the sub)
 Adele. - Dog
Polly Jean anyone? ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2a4BlTrtw
 Adele. - Fenlander
>>>Musically, it reminds me of Gary Numan

Good spot as she likes Gary Numan... the bassline is a deliberate nod towards Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer's I feel love...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_AqSbgKKS8

PJ... yes please. Hadn't seen that particular track... like this one at Jools too...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5w5MGJSCk&feature=related
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 11:51
 Adele. - Clk Sec
A great favourite of my grandparents when I was a little lad. They had all her records, and they were played frequently.

tinyurl.com/3t899go
 Adele. - Zero
Fenlander will be walking past the cafe again.
 Adele. - Fenlander
Indeed... I'd pass on by looking for the guitar riffs or throbbing beats :-)

Francoise Hardy was the sort of thing in the home singles box when I was a kid...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWfb1PpmbQ&feature=related

Together with Ella Fitzgerald...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRyDB4RWJdw

Parents weren't really into music though so I mainly had to find my own way.
 Adele. - Zero
I feel this is the definitive version of Mac the Knife.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU
 Adele. - swiss tony
>> I feel this is the definitive version of Mac the Knife.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU
>>
I like Louis Armstrong.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLIrS5dtTZI&feature=related
 Adele. - Hard Cheese

>> I feel this is the definitive version of Mac the Knife.
>>

Google Robbie Williams' version, brilliant.

Adele. - Zero
Its ok-ish, but that's a good album of his, his Mr BoJangles is superb. As good as the Sammy Davies version.
 Adele. - Dog
One for Clk Sec ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZWabwxQCR8&feature=related
 Adele. - Clk Sec
>> One for Clk Sec ~

Thanks, Dog. I enjoyed that.
 Adele. - Dog
How about Tori Amos then ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sd_Km5Y8nM (scuse the title)

I even bought her Beekeeper CD last year :}
 Adele. - Iffy
...Mack the Knife...

I like Sinatra's semi-rap version, in which he mentions the other singers' versions and how: "Ol blue eyes 'aint gonna add nothing noo".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhwrB9XqVeE

Adele. - Zero
Lord, thats appaling. Such a sad end to a great voice.
 Adele. - Iffy
...Lord, thats appaling. Such a sad end to a great voice...

Brilliant stuff, would loved to have been there.

Nothing sad about Sinatra singing whether he's 30 or 70.

Adele. - Zero
That wasn't singing.
 Adele. - Iffy
...That wasn't singing....

That's the whole point - a unique entertainer in action.

Anyone can sing in tune.

Adele. - hjd
>> >> Anyone can sing in tune.>>

If you had ever heard my mother in law joining in with Songs of Praise you would retract that remark.
 Adele. - Zero
>> ...That wasn't singing....
>>
>> That's the whole point - a unique entertainer in action.
>>
>> Anyone can sing in tune.

You seem to like washed up old male celebrities
 Adele. - Iffy
...You seem to like washed up old male celebrities...

Sinatra had more comebacks than you Zero - so far.

Adele. - Zero
He's not making another one now.
 Adele. - Dog
And there's me thinking, that London (The Real London) didn't exist anymore!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0BuFo1n8M
 Adele. - Iffy
...(The Real London) didn't exist anymore!...

Nice ceramic bricks in the wall behind them.

Looks like it's a Courage pub.

Adele. - Dog
>>Nice ceramic bricks in the wall behind them.

Looks like it's a Courage pub<<

East End mate, innit ... my sisters daughter sent that youtube to me, she owns a café in Hackney and another one near Greenwich Park & O2, a miilion miles from a greasy spoon job though, as she is a strict veggie, an actress
AND a model :)

Adele. - Zero
>> Nice ceramic bricks in the wall behind them.
>>
>> Looks like it's a Courage pub.

You should have seen some of cookes pie and mash shops in the old days! Beautiful ceramic brick and tilled wall interiors with cast iron and real marble topped tables.
 Adele. - Iffy
...You should have seen some of cookes pie and mash shops in the old days!...

There's one - might be Dalston - which is regularly featured on the telly.

The interior decor has become a tourist attraction, if not the food.

Pie and mash/jellied eels fan, Zeddo?

I've never had either.
 Adele. - Dog
Any connoisseurs of the ole pie n' mash - Manze's are still there in Tower Bridge Rd. and Peckham Hill St. cnr. of Peckham Rd. plus there is Arments in Westmoreland Rd. which is just orf the Walworth Rd. all in sowf lunden.

I ate 3 lots of double pie & mash once, although I was starting to struggle by the 6th pie!!
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 13 Apr 11 at 09:36
 Adele. - Zero
I am just a double pie n mash man, with double "green licker" of course.
 Adele. - Clk Sec
It's worth going to London for a decent pint of Directors...
 Adele. - BiggerBadderDave
The best way to eat a steak and kidney pie is inside a large buttered crusty bap with liberal splashings of brown sauce. The challenge is to catch the bits that ooze out of the sides when you bite into it.
 Adele. - Dog
>>The best way to eat a steak and kidney pie is inside a large buttered crusty bap with liberal splashings of brown sauce. The challenge is to catch the bits that ooze out of the sides when you bite into it<<

You are a Philistine, Bad Dave (or a Northerner) same difference :-D
 Adele. - Zero

>> You are a Philistine, Bad Dave (or a Northerner) same difference :-D

Yeah, completely. Us posh southern types eat fishfinger and chip butties.
 Adele. - Alanovich
A Doncastrian frined of mine prepares chip butties thus.

Take one white uncut loaf and remove one of the crust from the end. Hollow out the remaining loaf (discarding the fluffy white bit) and coat the interior with butter. Fill loaf with hot, salt and vinegared chips. Eat.

Quite a spectacle.

The gentleman in question is as lean and fit as a flea, and participates in regular triathlons. He also plays American Football (or "Catch" as it's better known in this country).
 Adele. - Dog
>> is as lean and fit as a flea, and participates in regular triathlons<<

Three in the bed, and the little one said - roll over :+)
 Adele. - Clk Sec
tinyurl.com/5tfb5oh
Latest Forum Posts