Non-motoring > Removing foreign objects from a washing machine Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 6

Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Mike H
Seems that two underwires from my wife's bras have come loose and found their way behind the drum on the washing machine. I have only ever had to deal with small things like buttons that eventually "pass through" and out the other end before. How does one get behind the drum - does it need removing or is there an alternative? Doesn't seem to be interfering with the operation atm, but it can get darn noisy when they are in the wrong position! The machine is not a UK make so I doubt that it would help to know what it is is, just seeking generic advice really.
 Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Iffy
A repair man told me bits from bras was one of the most common causes of washing machine breakdowns.

I'm afraid I don't know how to pull a washing machine to bits, but I think you are wise to remove the wires rather than just leave them there.

Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Zero
I know someone who claims to have got something out by taking off the door seal and tipping it forward. Not tried it myself, and it guess it depends on the design.
 Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Bellboy
As zero says
ive done thos on at least two different machines
take door off
remove all screws holding seal on
peel forward
get your hand in

strangely our washing machine blew up yesterday and ive replaced it today
it had been getting RATHER NOISY lately though on the rear bearing
 Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Dulwich Estate
Remove all the foreign objects from your washing machine and all you'll have left is an empty space. I don't think they make any in UK now.
 Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - TheManWithNoName
Nice one Dulwich!

I once left a sewing needle in a shirt pocket. It manifested itself when the pump broke. Upon removal, the repair man found it imbedded through one side of the think plastic casing of the pump. It had been flung through like a spear at high revs and jammed the pump preventing it from spinning.
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 14:30
 Removing foreign objects from a washing machine - Mike H
Should have googled first - found this really useful link tinyurl.com/64qnql2 which also mentions bra underwirings as being the most common problem. I have just tried the technique suggested in the link, which is not removing the door seal but taking off the sump hose from the bottom of the drum housing. Found one conveniently waiting to be pulled out, the other lodged on top of the element. Result!
Latest Forum Posts