Non-motoring > Peoples Pledge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 21

Peoples Pledge - Stuu
For those who are interested in the in/out Europe issue, I know some of you are.

www.peoplespledge.org/

Peoples Pledge - R.P.
Wonder how the Polish would vote.
 Peoples Pledge - Alanovich
There isn't really an in/out Europe issue.

We're in it and we're not coming out, until such time as UKIP form a majority government....

Can't really see the point of this campaign.
 Peoples Pledge - Zero

>> Can't really see the point of this campaign.

Whilst there has never been a referendum, the Anti EU moaners can keep whining that its been foisted on them.
I thought there was a referendum in the 1970s, whilst I was firing spud guns at cats and sitting on my Dad's lap steering the Reliant Supervan III as we drove to the bookies?
 Peoples Pledge - madf
Of course there was a Referendum. I am old enough to have voted. Zero is also old enough to have voted if I remember correctly but either did not vote or has forgotten.... I assume that's just another byproduct of old age :-)
 Peoples Pledge - Zero
>> Of course there was a Referendum. I am old enough to have voted. Zero is
>> also old enough to have voted if I remember correctly but either did not vote
>> or has forgotten.... I assume that's just another byproduct of old age :-)

You right on two counts. I did vote and it is old age.
 Peoples Pledge - Zero
well it would shut them up for another 40 years then.

Tho you would have thought they would have got used to it by now.

Peoples Pledge - Stuu
Seems to be driven be alot of pro-EU folk ( aswell as the usual suspects ), presumably wanting to reinforce their position.
Im sure if they were worried the nation wasnt with them, they wouldnt say a word, MPs never stick their necks out if they think theres any danger.

Bob Crow and Caroline Lucas - not two names I expected to be involved.
Last edited by: KosaiIggypop on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 12:43
 Peoples Pledge - Duncan
Why do you keep changing your ID?
 Peoples Pledge - Stuu
Must be the Lib Dem in me :-)
 Peoples Pledge - FotheringtonTomas
Oh, did upo? Do you mean the 1975 referendum on the common market?
Here they come, batten down the hatches............
 Peoples Pledge - -
Waste of time and effort, those who rule our country (from elsewhere) will fix this one too, should it ever happen...it won't.

Too late now anyway.

By the way not a chance UKIP (the tory safety valve/default button to scupper a nationalist swing) MEP's would shoot the golden goose, they know which side their bread's buttered, and none better than Farage of expenses heaven.
 Peoples Pledge - Roger.
Absolutely - it WAS only for a Common Market - NOT a Common Parliament of Europe.
I voted "NO" then: I would vote "OUT" now.

We are NOT European - we are British and not even 10 years of living in Spain has changed my view.

Every day I am grateful that the narrow strip of water, the English Channel, has kept foreign invaders out since the Normans in the 11th. Century.
 Peoples Pledge - CGNorwich
I'm sure last time I looked at Google earth the British Isles were part of Europe. The native inhabitants are ethnically European and share a European culture and speak a European language. I think that makes them European.

Whether you think it a good idea to be in a political union with your fellow Europeans is another issue but European you are.
 Peoples Pledge - Stuu
Being European means absolutely nothing other than living within certain geographical boundries.
No such thing as European culture, but many cultures, even within countries.

I find I have more in common with my Aussie relatives than my German ones. Gosh Im a bad European, Im failing culture.
 Peoples Pledge - -
And the more Romanian blokes i meet i find i have more in common with them than my own countrymen, honour, respect for others and a good work ethic, maybe they've been in a time warp too.
 Peoples Pledge - Stuu
Indeed.
 Peoples Pledge - Bromptonaut
>> We are NOT European - we are British

In my mind we're both European & British but have very little in common with America - with whom the special relationship just means getting us over whenever they can.
 Peoples Pledge - Londoner
I have no fundamental objection to a united Europe - just not on the EU's terms.

On the whole, I feel warmest towards countries that play cricket on a large scale - India, Australia, West Indies, New Zealand etc (see current participants in the World Cup). If they like cricket then they must be fundamentally decent, and vice versa! :-)
 Peoples Pledge - Stuu
I often think way too much thought is put into where you come from, it doesnt amount to a hill of beans and means exactly as much as you want it to.
National identity is an old-world concept and within my lifetime, I fully expect the UK to be a suburb of a European state. Cant see it really matters as long as the trains run on time.
Latest Forum Posts