Non-motoring > I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 41

I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - L'escargot
The qualifications listed in question 25 don't include those which I gained at school in 1953 to 1955. My qualifications gained at school were GCE which stands for General Certification of Education (University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate). I got 9 at Ordinary (O) level and 4 at Advanced (A) level.

I don't consider that any of the categories listed in question 25 are the "nearest equivalent". I feel like I'm part of a forgotten generation and I'm miffed.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Arctophile
Question 25, tick box No. 3 :-

"5+ O levels..."

Tick box No. 6 :-

"2+ A Levels..."
Last edited by: Arctophile on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 11:19
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Perky Penguin
I miffed at being required by law to fill in all this intrusive garbage! I did it within 15 minutes of it coming through my door, without giving it any thought at all other than correctly stating my name, address and age. Everything else I filled in at random. If they don't like it I don't care and there either won't be another census or I shan't be around for it!
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Tooslow
It's a special service provided by the government for those who like to get irate over not very much.

I might join in :-)

John
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Old Navy
I hope none of you whingers ever have a real life changing problem.
I am not a whinger, I am observer of nif-naff carp, I have had plenty of real problems and got right thru them.
>> It's a special service provided by the government for those who like to get irate
>> over not very much.

I'm only miffed, not irate!
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Roger.
Hear, Hear!
Name, age, address is quite enough.
It's none of my servant's business how many "O" levels I passed or, indeed, any information unique to me.

tinyurl.com/5uh84cx

Last edited by: Roger on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 14:11
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Zero
They are so old they are no longer counted. Employers ignore them.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Focusless
So should I have received a form by now?
you don't exist...
doh
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Cliff Pope
>> you don't exist...
>>

I didn't exist in the 1991 census - I was in a camper van parked in a lay-by. Ten years later I reappeared, to mess up government planning and cause the housing shortage.
>> So should I have received a form by now?
>>

The census helpline is 0300 0201 101
>> >> So should I have received a form by now?
>> >>
>>
>> The census helpline is 0300 0201 101

Thanks. Just checked the website (should have done that before posting) and it says you should request one if you haven't received it by 18 March.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Alanovich
Mine's arrived here in tropical Reddin'. I expect your address is in Wokinum, and therefore further down the alphabetical order!
The fact we moved last November might confuse them, although our post is still being redirected (usually).
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - R.P.
It's not addressed to you personally, just to the occupant.
>> It's not addressed to you personally, just to the occupant.

ok, probably means it's just on its way as Alanovic said
>> The fact we moved last November might confuse them, although our post is still being
>> redirected (usually).

Makes you wonder what other post you are not getting!
>> Makes you wonder what other post you are not getting!

Well I did complain to the PO after the occupants of our old place reported getting lots of our undirected mail - got quite a good apology (no refund though) and things have been better since then.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Stuartli
They were delivered in my area on either a week ago today or a week ago on Saturday.

Clearly the postmen had a problem with the volumes - many people's mail was delivered around six or seven hours later than usual...:-(
You can fill it in online, but you need the paper version first to get the internet access code. Seems daft to me.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - John H
>> You can fill it in online, but you need the paper version first to get
>> the internet access code. Seems daft to me.
>>

How would you design the process of delivery of a unique code to each house and the option not to receive the paper version?

>> >> You can fill it in online, but you need the paper version first to
>> get
>> >> the internet access code. Seems daft to me.
>> >>
>>
>> How would you design the process of delivery of a unique code to each house
>> and the option not to receive the paper version?

Send the internet access code by post and include a freephone number for anyone who wants a paper version. That would save a fortune by not sending the paper version to those who don't want it.
Alternatively ask Pugugly ~ he's working for them.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 12:32
I'm a mercenary that's all.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - John H
>> Send the internet access code by post and include a freephone number for anyone who
>> wants a paper version. That would save a fortune by not sending the paper version
>> to those who don't want it.

No, it is much cheaper to send out the paper form to every household in one go, rather than first sending one sheet of paper with a follow-up system of responding to individual requests for the paper form.

I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Fenlander
I'd rather fill in the census than have a Tesco clubcard!
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - FotheringtonTomas
>> I'd rather fill in the census than have a Tesco clubcard!

Considering the whinging that has gone on about "personal details on the census form", then yours is a very sensible remark.

There are all sorts of databases that people get themselves on without complaining in the least - and these are "commercial" ones, too.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - apm
Very useful data the census form provides, feeds in to commissioning of all sorts of services, deprivation scores etc. Invaluable to researchers in many fields. Unprecedented view of the country and who makes up the population.

I did ours on paper- I dread to think how badly the servers will fall over on 27th March (I think that's when it opens) when millions try to access at once

I did feel a little miffed by the education question though- no differentiation between under- and post-graduate higher education, and a gap between 5+ O-level and <2 A levels. Overall, a poorly constructed question.

My tuppence worth.

Alex.
So what questions should go in the C4P Census?

Q 24: What is the oldest, most out of date food you have eaten and survived?
1/ Two Months
2/ Four Months
3/ 1 Year
4/ 20 Years.
What newspaper do you read ? (:-)
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - devonite
did mine online - took 5mins! it automatically skips any bits that are irrelavant to you. It states on the form to fill it out on 24thMarch or as soon as possible after, yet the online form was live on the 8th when i submitted mine.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Cliff Pope
>>you have eaten and
>> survived?
>>
>>

If dead, hand this form to your next of kin.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Armel Coussine
Don't answer at all. It's very rude to count people (in some parts of the world it really is considered so) and they will only pass the data on to the council.

Then you'll really be for it: you'll lose all your illegal benefits, be branded the ignorant, unqualified racist and sexist you almost certainly are and hounded out of your house to make way for some racketeering East European illegal immigrants or worse. Britain for the, er, existing inhabitants!

That's my hysterical and ill-considered advice.

(Sneer)
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Dave_
>> you'll lose all your illegal benefits, be branded the ignorant, unqualified racist and sexist you almost certainly are

Hey, my benefits are all legal.
Maybe, but the census won't actually do you any good. At least a £2.50 Tesco voucher can be turned into £10 worth of travel on Eurotunnel, for instance! Census will ask you a lot of silly questions and fine you £1000 if you don't answer them, allegedly.
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Iffy
Did mine online in about ten minutes.

Fuss about nowt.

Next.

I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - madf
Please keep me in a job and let me have to chase you up to fill it in ..:-)
 I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - Iffy
The next census is going to be online only, so Cameron said. (According to my mother, who hopefully heard the interview correctly).

I'm miffed with question 25 of the census form - madf
"The next census is going to be online only,"

In 2021.

I might be dead by then and appointed a saint...
you could programe a "bot" to respond and fill it in.
Latest Forum Posts