Non-motoring > Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 30

Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - RattleandSmoke
The 21" 4:3 CRT has packed in downstairs (I think the degausser has gone has the tube appears to have bee magnetised). My parents are using an old 14" widescreen TFT PC monitor with PC speakers and a composite input at the moment which is not ideal.

They are not bothered about size and I have seen a 19" Samsung at Richersounds for £100 but is 1360 x 768. The 19" in their bed room is the proper 1,280×720 and mine is 1080P 1,920×1,080 so I assume the image on a 1360 has to be converted how much does this impact on the image qualility?

It will be me that is paying as usual but I've had a very busy month so I don't mind.

There is the LG M227WDP which is 22" and 1080p which is also the TV/Monitor I have but thats £150 which is more than I wanted to spend.

The other option is picking up a clearance TV in one of the richersounds in London.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 15:30
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Zero
Its a TV, you are thinking PC. Dont think PC resolution modes.
But the Samsung appears to have a PC panel rather than a TV one? Would that have a noticeable difference in picture quality?

Either it seems to be best deal I can find, I can pay £110 for it and can get a 5 year warranty, that same deal would be £200 at places like John Lewis.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Focusless
When looking for a replacement kitchen telly to replace a 4:3 portable, I initially bought a cheap eBuyer F&H with a 1440x900 resolution. But if you work it out that's not quite 16:9, and in fact there was no mode that allowed you to see the whole picture without distortion.

So I returned it and bought a Sharp Aquos(?) with 1360x768 resolution, which is 16:9, and that's been really good, at least for the non-HD programmes we receive. Got it from Richer Sounds for £150 IIRC.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 15:46
A little if they try and keep the same aspect ratio as TV, but then its only 100 quid.

The source will be a two year old Segam PVR, I will have a look to see if there is any option for 6:9.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Dulwich Estate
Buy (or get given) a widescreen CRT set. Nobody wants them. It'll save you money - every little helps.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - bathtub tom
I agree with DE, they're often popping up on our local Freecycle (or Freegle). The big ones can be hernia inducing.
That was my suggestion but no, they just want a cheap and neat TFT. To be fair I did actually end up in hospital having an operation for a hernia I got while moving my old TFT.

Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - henry k
Having just bought a new TV and I can assure you Richersounds are not always the cheapest. bur generally quite good for prices
I have also found the Tesco was one of THE most expensive sources, at least for the model I purchased, so do look carefully. Dixons is the cheapest at present ,

Last edited by: henry k on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 17:30
It would depend on the size, for 19" I cannot find anything cheaper than what Richersounds is offering.
If price is your only criteria, the choice is easiest.
My sister has agreed to pay half so the budget is now £200 and with that we would want at least three year warranty so I will check out Jown Lewis again.

I think the LG 22" which I have is going to be the best deal at £150 as it is proper 1080p.

The cheap 21" TV we bought downstairs is only 3 years old but we bought it as the old Panasonic packed up and it was all we could afford.

I am thinking a good £200 TV with a long warranty will last them a long time.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - henry k
>>The 21" 4:3 CRT has packed in
>>
>>I think the LG 22" which I have is going to be the best deal
>>
I assume you have not measured the actual scree sizes cos a 22" LCD is way way smaller than a 21 CRT.

Please please consider a much larger set especially as older eyes usually need it.

SWMO is now not 100% happy with our new 32" which has a picture that is not as tall as our old 26" CRT ( by about an inch).
The lessons on how to use it are underway - a future task for you ? :-)
Going to bring my 22" downstairs as a test. The old 21" was not widescreen so half the image was lost in the bars anyway that is what I meant about the old one being smaller.

I am very tempted by Pug's link but my mum dosn't want a 32" but it won't be as big as she thinks it will be. She hates large TVs.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - R.P.
Take her to a shop to see some 32" ones !
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Old Navy
>> Take her to a shop to see some 32" ones !
>>

Decide what size is the largest that would be comfortable to watch and then get one size bigger.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Tooslow
"Decide what size is the largest that would be comfortable to watch and then get one size bigger."

That would be Stuartli's favourite brand then...

tinyurl.com/69n9pdn

John
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - nyx2k
tell them, he who pays the bills decides on what they get.
dozens of free crts around
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Dulwich Estate
A little, probably unwanted, frankness from me: all we hear is of a shortage of wonga, but despite good advice you are determined to spend what you don't seem to have.

I give up.
Most the recent problems have been cash flow problems, but I have sorted it all now.

My dads also just started a new job so that is the end (hopefully) of my parents problems which were a major cause of my cash flow problems too.

All my parents have ever done TV wise is make do with other peoples case offs. I remember the old ex rental Bairds we used to have.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 19:09
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - nyx2k
with rerspect rattle, the cash flow problem isnt sorted at all unless you have a few thousand at least in the bank and it doesnt matter if you dont earn anything for a month or two.
you are hampering your own businesss and will never make more than 10-15k a year and willalweays be with your parents until you think bigger and wiser
This thread is about TVs :).

I've already had my biggest month ever, earn't £600 profit so far and still got a lot of work booked in.

About £200 is from new customers as a direct result of spending more on advertising.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - R.P.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270688428222
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Robin O'Reliant
Buy them an old black & white set and tell them it's the latest fashion, monochrome is the new colour, etc.
Put two old CRT sets side by side and say its 3D
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - spamcan61
Ebuyerexpress on Ebay will do you a 32" Toshiba for 215 quid if there's been a budget uplift.
Put the 22" downstairs and she thinks it is a little bit too big!! Anyway I will probably just buy the 22" LG from Richers with the five year warranty.

Will have to hook it up to the HIFI separates as the built in speakers are useless.

I agree though that the 22" is ok, a 32" would look too big because of where it will be positioned.
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Dave_
I've got a 32" 100Hz CRT TV you can have.

I got two from a free ad, kept using one and sold the other one for £25. Thought I was on to a good thing, picked up and sold another half a dozen free ones last year but since Christmas absolutely no-one at all wants a CRT any more. Nowt wrong with this one. Yours, free.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 23:29
 Cheap LCD TVs - 1360 x 768? - Stuartli
>>I've got a 32" 100Hz CRT TV you can have.>>

It would probably be quite a task to get one in a Panda. All the 32in CRTs I've seen have been both enormous and very heavy.
Ended up buying this, it does state they may be used/ex demo but the one I got was brand new in the sealed packaging from RS in Stockport.

www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/b2230hd/sams-b2230hd

I paid £149.95 for the TV and £15 for the 5 year warranty, so for £165 I think it was a good deal.

The Ebuyer Samsung at £200 looks like an amazing deal it was just too big. The front room is one of the smallest rooms in the house and it has a lot of clutter in it.

The picture quality is very good and has an MPEG filter designed to filter out some of the defects of high MPEG II compression on freeview it works very well as it removes all the blotches but you do loose a bit of detail.

Is also full 1080p.

So £165 for a 22" 1080P Samsung with a 5 year warranty I think there are far worse deals. The long warranty is essential because replacing the TV is now one less thing to worry about!.

A 32" CRT would easily go in the Panda with the back seats down, it is very cleverly designed.

I have also hooked up the PVR to the their HIFI separates (my cast offs) and it sounds so much better than it did when they used the old TV speakers.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 15 Mar 11 at 00:23
Latest Forum Posts