Non-motoring > Another old DJ who still cuts it Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 32

Another old DJ who still cuts it - Iffy
Johnnie Walker is doing his Sounds of the Seventies show on Radio 2 an hour earlier today.

Tidy start with songs by T Rex, Roxy Music, Suzi Quatro, and a track from Neil Young's Harvest album.

Johnnie is another natural presenter who is usually worth a listen.

Another old DJ who still cuts it - MD
Just been listening. Brilliant.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - Robin O'Reliant
Best DJ on radio in my opinion. Drive Time has never been the same since he quit.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - R.P.
I agree with you on this one iffy...!
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - Zero
For once, so do I.

I wonder if Iffy has seen the light?
Don't think he'll cough it ! :-)
We can only hope Tone does then
Talking of DJs...

I was having a late lunch in Tesco's car park today (I live well) when Steve Wright followed the 4 o'clock news with Led Zep's Immigrant Song. Brilliant, I thought, a decent record on his show for a change and immediately started giving a very professional steering wheel bongo performance, if I say so myself.

Just over half way through the record (which you rarely here on radio) he cuts it off to do a phone interview with Ant & Dec. ANT & DEC, for God's sake! I hit the off button so hard I hurt my knuckle.

That guy is absolute pants, he really ought to be put out to grass now. Can you imagine Mark Radcliff or the like doing something like that?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 10:23
Steve Right (sic) has always been a shuffler of a certain variety. Non-entity.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - legacylad
Quite.
I was laying tiles at the time and would happily have smacked him over the head with one.
He's another one that has become too comfortable. He used to be good workday company when I was DIYing - now it's just passé
I once shouted at the radio "For gods sake old woman, if he gives us another effin factoid, kick him in the nuts"
>> He's another one that has become too comfortable. He used to be good workday company
>> when I was DIYing - now it's just passé
>>
He was groundbreaking in his Radio 1 days thirty years ago with the various comic characters he voiced, now he's just an old has-been with an obsession for C-list celebreties
I remember (vividly) painting the front room, in our then new home, in 1988 and listening to him on R1...he was good then. His knowledge of popular music is pretty comprehensive in fairness. Maybe he lacks editorial control.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - BiggerBadderDave
"He was groundbreaking in his Radio 1 days thirty years ago with the various comic characters he voiced"

It's called "zoo format" radio and he may have been the first in the UK but he borrowed the idea from the states where it originated.
...It's called "zoo format" radio...

Noel Edmonds had a milkman character on his breakfast show, which was on Radio 1 before Steve Wright came up with Sid the Manager, Dave Doubledecks, etc,

I can't remember if Edmonds had any other characters.

Tony Blackburn had Arnold the dog, although that was really no more than a jingle.

Another old DJ who still cuts it - Stuartli
>>Just over half way through the record (which you rarely here on radio) he cuts it off to do a phone interview with Ant & Dec. ANT & DEC, for God's sake! I hit the off button so hard I hurt my knuckle.>>

I think you will find it wasn't Steve Wright's fault nor his usual style:

tinyurl.com/6b7l46l

By the way 100 per cent with those who love Johnnie Walker - wonderful voice, so laid back he's almost horizontal and done some great specials such as a two-hour piece with The Eagles two or three years ago.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 10:23
They are a pair of tiresome knobs.
Does that refer to Walker PU?
No Ant and Dec. Walker is pretty good.
Still, could be worse, could be DLT with his stories of lost and unrequited love!
Or Blackburn and his groovy quips...
Of the daytime jocks on R2 Ken Bruce is the best IMO. I like his dry sense of humour and he gives the impression that he really cares about the music, his extensive knowledge and enthusiasm for it coming through.
And the guy who follows......is it Jeremy Vine? Now is he patronising or what.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - rtj70
The format for Vine's show can be irritating.... a bunch of arguing guests shouting at each other. Jimmy Young's version was better.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 22:56
Never forget a Young Colemanball - "The blind find it increasingly difficult to make ends meet"
>>.. a bunch of arguing guests shouting at each other.>>

Rather on the lines of some of these forum's threads?

...:-))

PS

Agree Ken Bruce is a top notch DJ and programme presenter. Great sense of humour too.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 23:34
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - Pat
Do I hear a car4play group apology to Steve Wright?

Pat
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - Fenlander
>>>Hardly... the man's a fool. I liked this quote about him..

His entire show is like reading through those sad depressing gossip filled women's glossy mags. All of it is total mindless, pointless garbage.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Mar 11 at 07:43
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - Pat
Actually, I don't like him either and the remark was, as usual for me, TIC.

Pat

PS I don't read womens glossy magazines either.
...PS I don't read womens glossy magazines either...

No, but Steve Wright knows many people do, which is one reason why his show has an audience of millions.

It's not my sort of thing, but it is popular.
 Another old DJ who still cuts it - BiggerBadderDave
Too self-congratulatory for me but he's certainly no fool.
>>His entire show is like reading through those sad depressing gossip filled women's glossy mags. All of it is total mindless, pointless garbage.>>

This Morning was originally conceived on the basis of women's magazines' format with regular items at the same time each day - viewers knew/know what time to tune in for their favourites.
Latest Forum Posts