Non-motoring > Petrol lawnmowers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 81

Petrol lawnmowers - Alanovich
Right then, I need to buy a petrol powered lawn mower, seeing as my new house's gardens have multiple lawns, some oddly shaped and with obstacles (trees) in the middle.

I used my old cable lawnmower twice last autumn and it was an enormous pain in the posterior. So it has been gifted to a friend with less complicated lawn arrangements, and a petrol powered model is now needed.

Never having owned one, I'd like some advice. What should I look out for in a mower? What should I avoid?

I'd hate to have one which keeps stalling, and, as I'm not the most conscientous of gardeners, I will often have to cut reasonably long grass, so I fear cheaper models with small engines may have this problem. Is that a reasonable fear? If so, what sort of power output should I be looking for, what size engine?

My mouse pointer has just been hovering over the cheapest model in the shop (terrible habit of mine), but I have had a moment of clarity and decided I'd probably best seek some advice.

Budget: no more than 200 pounds, and even that's making the natural miser in me squirm.

Thanks for any pointers.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Falkirk Bairn
Hondas are good, come with 5 yr warranty (assuming you get it serviced annually) BUT Pricey £300+ typically

Electrolux sell many similar machines under a variety of names McCulloch, Gardenline, are 2 of their names. Typically £130 - £300 - push cheaper than 2 wd versions

I have a 17" rotary - 3rd rotary after 1 x cylinder - got 10 years out of each roughly. Change oil/new blades etc but never "get it serviced"- scrap @10 years and buy another
Annual service might be £30-50/yr so scrap and replace is cheaper.

I have 1/10 acre in grass and the wider the better - rotary finish is OK but the old cylinder gave a RR finish - typically £500 for a cylinder mower.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Telb
Okay, I'll set the ball rolling.

I'd look for a rotary made by ALKO with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Precise size and features (driven wheels, width of cut) would be a question of personal preference.

Best idea is to do a tour of garden centres to see what's around in the flesh (metal?) before deciding.

HTH

Terry
 Petrol lawnmowers - Crankcase
Don't dismiss the idea of a rechargeable electric mower - no cable and no "messy refuelling".
Thanks for replies so far.

My garden is level, and the main lawn is about 90 feet by 30 or so. Two smaller lawns at the front of the house.

So I don't think I need something particularly huge, or self propelled.

Hondas look nice, but the price is off-putting. It's going to hopefully take my less than an hour once a fortnight so I don't really want to spend big.

So what sort of power output/engine size should I be looking at?
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
I'd look @ ALDI guv'nor, they seem to do some good but cheap stuff.
I 'run' a Honda 18" but there are many good makes of mower out there.
A mid priced 18" rotary mower should do what you want.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Telb
I think my B&S is 3HP. With no drive to the wheels this seems adequate.

Terry
 Petrol lawnmowers - bathtub tom
They can be a source of good exercise to push, especially if the grass is long/wet/mossy. I'd seriously consider power drive.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Arctophile
I'd seriously consider power drive.
>>

Seconded.
 Petrol lawnmowers - henry k
>>I will often have to cut reasonably long grass, so I fear cheaper models with small engines may have this problem. Is that a reasonable fear?
>>
IMO that rules out a cylinder mower but how did you find one in the past ?
I bought a S/H one last year. Qualcast / Atco both owned by Bosch . Smallest is now 14" but outside your ££ range.
You can find them S/H for under £300 with a scarifier ( £100 worth) but ensure it is a Kawasaki engined one.
I cut my grass a couple of days ago and with no traction control I got lots and lots of wheelspin. It feels as if it has stalled and you get a handle in the belly !! Not nice.

A possibly unexpected but limited source of mowers is www.wilkinsonplus.com/

Wow, I like those ones at Wilkinsonplus. But it looks to me like the 180 quid petrol mower is actually a better model than the 210 quid one.

Am I missing something or misreading the blurb? They seem to be priced the wrong way round!
 Petrol lawnmowers - crocks
£180 is 400mm cut and unknown engine.
£210 is 460mm cut and Briggs & Stratton engine.

I think I'd pay the extra £30.
 Petrol lawnmowers - MD
Briggs like the juice, but 'should' be bombproof.
 Petrol lawnmowers - tyro
Just to agree with Terry -

You want a rotary mower. I once, mistakenly got a cylinder.

Briggs and Stratton engines are good. Mine is reliable despite little TLC and much abuse from me. Maybe Honda are better, but they are expensive. Can't speak about Kawasaki.
 Petrol lawnmowers - -
Rotary, non powered wheels i need the excercise, Briggs and Stratton, it's on it's 7th year and still does all i ask including going over the veggy plot when i've been too idle to weed it, bit of push power off lawning.

Cylinder mowers are for pristine lawns and frequent cutting in the dry only.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
Smallest petrols are 16" - 41cm - which makes them awkward on the odd-shaped bits, whatever the make.

I'm guessing the OP's electric will be around 12" - 30/34cm.

I have something similar at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire and have just replaced it with a Bosch rechargeable - pick it up at the weekend.

Cost about £230, but it has a 36v lithium-ion battery which should give plenty of poke and a decent battery life.

That depends on how long the grass is, but I reckon it should run for at least 30 minutes which should be easily enough to do my little patch.

Cutting width is 34cm, a couple cms more than the corded one, so it should still be a doddle to throw around.

I reckon messing around with the cable takes up nearly half the time, so being able to mow non-stop should make an enormous difference.

Petrol lawnmowers - VxFan
I got my petrol mower (McCulloch) for nothing. A neighbour up the road chucked his out for the dustman. I asked him if I could have it and ½ hr later had it up and running again. All it needed was a good service and the blade sharpening. I did mention to him that I'd got it going and he was welcome to have it back if he paid me for my time in fixing it. He declined and told me I could keep it as his missus had already badgered him into buying a new one.

>>I got my petrol mower (McCulloch) for nothing.

Good for you. I'm a supporter of our local freegle - wonderful it is.

There's a house near us got a 12 cyl beemer in the drive and they had a lamppost moved to give two driveways, so appears loads-a-money. They're having some building work done, so there's a skip in the drive. Lots of items they don't want go in the skip, but disappear overnight. I've seen printer, bikes, kids desk.............
 Petrol lawnmowers - MD
I ain't read any of these posts except the first one. Mate of mine (ex) for a different reason than mowers, has a lawnmower maintenance business seemingly since birth and he knows his stuff. He says that all manufacturers have good and BAD models. DON'T presume anything. There is also a lot of badge engineering out there. Caveat Emptor.

MD
>> Lots of items they don't want go in the skip but disappear overnight. I've seen printer bikes kids desk.............

I thought the items belonged to the skip owner once they've been put there? Mind you they do say that possession is 9/10ths of the law ;o)
You're probably right.

Police? I've had a printer stolen.

Where did you last see it? I understand sir, I'll file a report for you.

When I was in Germany, any rubbish put out for collection was 'fair game', legally.
 Petrol lawnmowers - crocks
Why wait for nightfall. Just ask.
Whenever I see anything I want I knock on the door and ask if they would like a bit more room in their skip.
Never yet failed.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Stuu
Given that the OP likes Green Party policies, perhaps a fossil fuel powered mower is not the way to go?
I have a customer with a cordless electric one and he does a huge lawn with it. Have no idea what it is though - will ask. Bosch seem to do one having had a brief look. Surely a more enviromentally responsible option?

Apologies if someone else has already suggested as such and I missed it!
 Petrol lawnmowers - Stuu
www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/BOSCH_LAWNMOWERS.html
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
>>>I have a customer with a cordless electric one and he does a huge lawn with it.<<<

And how much does a new battery cost :(
>> Given that the OP likes Green Party policies

From the perspective of traffic management, congestion reduction and improved public transport. And their clear and admirable stance against urban SUV use.

I think I explained clearly on another thread in an other place that I'm not an anti-fossil fuel zealot. Of course, a long term plan is needed for when we run out, but I don't subscribe to the current CO2 driven hysteria. Seems to me the Greens are coming to some sensible conclusions, even though I may disagree with the point at which they are starting.

Back to lawnmowers, and I don't trust a battery powered lawnmower to get through longer grass without jamming, as happened all the time with my old electric one. And I don't fancy running out of charge halfway round the lawns. The same kind of downsides which can be seen with electric cars, really.

So it's got to be petrol for me.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
>>> So it's got to be petrol for me.<<<

This one should fit the bill comrade ~ preview.tinyurl.com/y8huxzh
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...longer grass without jamming, as happened all the time with my old electric one...

Ah, now if you'd said the leccy one was jamming....

It has to be petrol, as you say.

Treat yourself to a Honda Izy, might be nearer £300 than £200, but it's a properly engineered tool, will do the work, and should be a pleasure to use and own for years.

The parks and gardens department of my local council has them, which is a good recommendation.

You're probably right, IIH. I've found a 16" cut Izy for 279 notes. Probably worth the money.

Is 16" gonna be OK for my main lawn, about 90 by 30 feet?
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 11:06
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...Is 16" gonna be OK for my main lawn, about 90 by 30 feet?...

Just the job, I'd have thought, bearing in mind your electric mower was almost certainly only 12".

As well as extra cutting width, you'll also be getting a lot more cutting power, so you'll be able to lengthen your stride a bit with an Izy.

Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
Can you steal something that is being thrown away?

A police officer is due to stand trial accused of theft of clothing seized during a murder investigation which was due to be destroyed.

tinyurl.com/ybtpr2c

In this case, the clothing was in the boot of a police car.

I wouldn't take company property from a car at work, even if I thought it was due for the bin.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 02:44
 Petrol lawnmowers - Fenlander
Another vote for Honda. Had loads of mowers over 35yrs and the Honda we have now is the only one I'd stake my life on starting first pull every time... even after the 4mth winter layoff. Our mowers have a very hard life with 3yrs being quite common. The current Honda is on 5yrs and still goes like new.

That 16" Izy is well worth the £279.

16" is fine for your area just under 300sqm. We use a 20" for around 2000sqm.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Mapmaker
>>Can you steal something that is being thrown away?

You most certainly can. My suspicion is that it is the final resort used by police who want to get someone from the urban underclass for something, but can only pin "nicking stuff from a skip" on him.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:18
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
Top tip for Alanovich and anyone else with a rotary lawnmower:

Drift WD40 over the underside to prevent grass clippings sticking.

Petrol lawnmowers - L'escargot
>> Top tip for Alanovich and anyone else with a rotary lawnmower:
>>
>> Drift WD40 over the underside to prevent grass clippings sticking.
>>

Read the instruction book, particularly the engine manufacturer's book, before tilting the mower to gain access to the underside. If you tilt it the wrong way you might end up with oil fouling ths spark plug and saturating the inlet air filter element.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...Read the instruction book, particularly the engine manufacturer's book, before tilting the mower to gain access to the underside...

Fair point for a petrol, although there's no bother with my current corded electric mower, and there won't be with my new recharageable.

Petrol lawnmowers - Mapmaker
>> You most certainly can. My suspicion is that it is the final resort used by
>> police who want to get someone from the travelling community for something but can only
>> pin "nicking stuff from a skip" on him.

I should just like to point out that I did NOT make any reference to the travelling community, perfectly respectable Romanies, and the phrase has been "immoderated" in. The term I used was snip which is a general disparaging term used these days to refer to the generally urban underclass of the country. (See wikipedia.)

I make no apology for bypassing the swearfilter. snip is not, thanks to evolution of the word, an unacceptable term these days. The suggestion that I refer to the honorable Romanies is entirely the work of the immoderator.

I should be most grateful if somebody would immoderate my original post to its original format.

Otherwise, please replace "travelling community" with "urban underclass". Thank you. - DONE
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:18
 Petrol lawnmowers - Crankcase
Quote:
--------

The word has been classed as a term of racist abuse since 2007. In December 2007 at Lewes Magistrates' Court, Lee Coleman, 28, admitted using racially-aggravated threatening words and behaviour after a row with a nightclub manageress. He had told her: ...... see the following link for what was said, (and other people who have also used the phrase):-

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:19
Thank you Crankcase. That was exact the reason for the edit. I'm just about to remove the offending word from your post (and Mapmakers again)

Vx.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...at Lewes Magistrates' Court...

Lewes Magistrates speak - and the world wide web listens.

Like it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find another teacup to have a storm in.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 09:40
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
(((Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find another teacup to have a storm in.)))

Yorkshire Gold?
Well, I've ordered the Honda Izy at 279 pounds. I am hoping it'll arrive before the weekend so I can give it a spin, weather allowing. The nearest contender was the one at wilkinsonplus for 210 pounds, but I decided "what the hell" over the extra 60 beer tokens. In for a penny, get the one with the best reputation.

Thanks for all help and advice, it has saved me from my usual trick of false economy. I hope!
tinyurl.com/ykjl8mw

I have this one- currently £180 but I got it for £117 on one of the clearance days@ Homebase, I had to take it on their credit card but cleared it as soon as the bill came in.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
>>> I have this one- <<<

Good machine FB - does the same job as my Honda, but at half the dosh!
Well, what great service. I ordered the mower on Wednesday, and the website said that I qualified for a free weatherproof cover for it. Nice I thought, but I don't really need one.

Then the phone rang on Thursday, with a profuse apology from the company saying that they were out of the free covers and would it be OK if I took a free service kit (including spark plug and filter and the like) instead? Gladly I said, much more useful to me than the cover. And today I notice that they've updated the product description on their website to quote the included service kit.

Then the delivery van arrived with the goods at 7.30 this morning, Friday.

Brilliant job from www.justlawnmowers.co.uk. And their price for the mower was the lowest I could find. Happy to recommend them to others. They are obviously on the ball.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Injection Doc
10 years ago i bought a Champion 14" rotary lawn mower & has a good hour a week running & lasted 10 years & paid £99.00 for it at Focus.
I have just bought another champion ( the otherone was still going well & sold on e-bay for £25.00!) This one is a driven one16" & just like the other one always starts first time & cost me £135.00 in a sale.
Best value for money I reckon & always gets an excellent cut. Bought one for my dad as well & he doesn't understand now why he used an electric flymo for years as the petrol one is so quick & so so easy to start & being self powered finds it a doddle.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
My 85 year old FiL has a Champion, I used to mock the critter at one time but it does the job ok, its only a bit of semi-sharpened metal whizzing round after all.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Fenlander
I looked at some bargain mowers in Homebase this weekend and noted the height ajustment levers and other bits of trim looked just as sharp as the blades.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 10:31
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
I bought a Masport mower a few years back, made in NZ and 1st class McChinery ~ www.masport.com/
.............and the Honda has turne dout to be perfect for the job. It started first time, straight out of the box. I did a first pass of all 3 lawns on Saturday, then another pass yesterday. Made light work of it all really.

Delighted with the machine and the results. It's obviously a high quality product - nice thick rubber tyres, not just hard plastic wheels. Easily adjustable height mechanism with quality levers, and an overall very durable looking construction. Grass collector easy to get on/off and empty out too. Very east to start, not like the last petrol mower I used in the 80s (when doing my Mum's lawn) which was hideous.

Well chuffed. Thanks to Falkirk Bairn for the orginal recommendation, and to others for advice and suggestions.
Well, they have called me again from justlawnmowers.co.uk.

They neglected to record the serial number of my mower, and have asked that I provide it to them so that the machine and its sale can be recorded correctly.

Impressed again - I imagine most retailers would just shrug their shoulders and forget about it.

They seem to take their responsibility as a supplier seriously and respect their customers.

Can't recommend them enough.
 Petrol lawnmowers - hawkeye
I came late to this thread. I came late to this forum come to that. I have a part-time gardening round using two Mountfield mowers and one Murray, all with B&S engines. My pal from up the road has a garden contracting business with employees and signwritten vehicles and other trappings of greatness. He likes Hayter mowers with Honda engines. I like my B&S engines. We decided over a pint one day that if you want to mow lawns for business, get a mower with a Honda engine; if you like mowing lawns and small engine maintenance, get a mower with a B&S engine. In 8 years of mowing only one of my B&S fleet has stopped once and that was dirty fuel; my fault.

Enjoy your Izy; great choice.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 21:09
 Petrol lawnmowers - L'escargot
>> I like my B&S engines.

I don't. The carburettor on mine had to have a new diaphragm after only a few weeks. The numerous complex clamping lands of the adjacent metal parts were too narrow to ensure that they lined up sufficently well, and the diaphragm on mine pulled out of one area where it was supposed to be clamped. The Briggs and Stratton repair agent said he had had to replace the diaphragm on even brand new mowers.
I hope they're better now ~ mine is about 7 years old. It says "Reliable starting" on it but I sometimes have to spray Bradex EasyStart into the air inlet.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Marc
Great topic this since I'm in the market for a petrol mower to replace my trusty Qualcast electric. My main lawn is 45' x 35' so I'm guessing from the above threads that a 41cm/16" blade will suffice.

Whilst the Honda Izy does look a nice piece of kit it is a bit pricey. I'm considering these :

www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/AL-KO_40B_Rotary_Lawnmower.html

www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/pages/productspages/product618.htm

I see further up the threads AL-KO are mentioned. I'm guessing these are good products with 'typical German build quality'. This is their entry level mower. However for a few quid more I can get the entry level Hayter which is both a Which? best buy and British made (though no longer British owned apparently)

Probably buying online so sight unseen. Any opinions/thoughts on these two?

Thanks
Marc,

Looking at the price of that Hayter on justlawnmowers, the service kit and oil are not included in the price. These would push it up to near 260 pounds, 20 short of the Izy which comes with these items included.

The Izy's a lovely machine, maybe worth the extra 20-odd pounds?
I am not prejudiced but the Honda is made in France -

The 21/22 inch machines are Honda USA manufacture but cost about £1000
I did notice that when I opened mine this weekend. Was slightly surprised but not even vaguely concerned from a quality perspective. I would have preferred it to have been at least UK assembled though.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Zero
>> I am not prejudiced but the Honda is made in France -

Oh dear, Its bound to be a pile of poo then.

>> I am not prejudiced but the Honda is made in France -
>>
>> The 21/22 inch machines are Honda USA manufacture but cost about £1000
>>

Honda mowers are manufactured abroad as LHD machines but are converted for RHD by the distributors in the UK adding to the price somewhat. I'm only a small operation so I try to buy LHD off Ebay wherever possible.
>> >> I like my B&S engines.
>>
>> I don't. The carburettor on mine had to have a new diaphragm after only a
>> few weeks.

I'm guessing that it was a faulty diaphragm or ham-fisted assembly. The comment about replacements on new mowers supports this view. So far I've only fitted 1 diaphragm on a non-starter I got from Ebay.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Avant
Glad you found a good one, Alanovic. There are some good secondhand reconditioned ones to be found - I've had my petrol Hayter for a few years now with no problems.

I also have a valiant old electric Flymo which is 30 years old this year - I remember going to get it in the brand new Renault 20. Never missed a beat: it'a 19-inch blade with a tough old engine.

Flymos have gone downhill since then: SWMBO persuaded me to get one with a grass-box, and the engine burned out within two years. I left it out in the front and a thief duly obliged - I like to think of him getting a nice new cable for it and ........
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...I also have a valiant old electric Flymo which is 30 years old this year...

We have something very similar, it is currently hung up in my elder brother's garage and still works a treat, although is seldom used.

Must be the only appliance in my family which has lasted so long.

Petrol lawnmowers - Marc
Well after further research and discussion I've just bought a Honda Izy 415 push from justlawnmowers too. Looking forward to getting it after Easter.

Salesman pretty much said it was a no brainer, best product in it's sector by miles. It finally became a toss up between the Honda and a Hayter Motif (also Honda powered)

Maybe we should start an Izy OC Alanovic!
Good stuff Marc, will be interested to hear how you find it. Hope you get as good service from justlawnmowers as I did.

I imagine that an owners' club forum will have one thread only - entitled "My mower's fine and there's nothing wrong with it"!
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
I mentioned earlier in the thread I was getting a new mower for the grass outside the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

I'm now the proud owner of a Bosch rechargeable: tinyurl.com/ybpwrmy

Whilst it's no Izy, I cut my little patch in a lot less time than with the previous corded mower.

One light of three has gone out on the battery indicator, so there's plenty of juice to do the job in one go.

Lighter and easier to manoeuvre than a petrol and it shouldn't need much maintenance.

A good tool, although not cheap at around £230.

Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
>>> A good tool, although not cheap at around £230. <<<

And how much for a new battery my leafy friend!
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
...And how much for a new battery my leafy friend!...

Seeing as you ask, about £80.

The battery is lithium ion and the charger is a proper conditioner, with a cooling fan, so I should get decent use out of it.

And get off my lawn before you make a mess. :)

Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
>>> And get off my lawn before you make a mess <<<

Sir! you have a sharp mind and long may it remain so.
I purchased a Bosch cordless hedge-trimmer 6 years ago and it has always been fit for the job.
Where we live now in Sunny Cornwall, we are surrounded on all 4 sides by hedges, some being 15ft high.
(think reclusive!)
The Mighty Bosch does obviously struggle against the Army of green soldiers, but I have a spare battery - which is a must.
The batteries started to lose power last year (5 years old) but they are not the better lithium ion type.
I sourced replacements via ebay for little money so - I would recommend rechargeable lawn-mowers / hedge-trimmers etc., etc., etc.
I also have a 'Worx' rechargeable plane + a Worx rechargeable drill = good stuff!
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
It's horses for courses, isn't it?

The Bosch lawnmower battery is 36v, so there's plenty of grunt, but it probably will not run for more than 45 minutes.

I have a Ryobi cordless drill which is 12v, and it has a spare battery.

Nice, neat tool, but there's no point in thinking you can do a lot more than hang a picture with it.

My hedge trimmer is mains powered, but only because it gets used very rarely and I couldn't justify the extra price of a decent cordless.

Petrol lawnmowers - rtj70
I saw an advert for a Worx silent lawnmower yesterday morning on the TV. Checked it out (we will need a new one for the new house) and it was £150. There's also one that makes more noise for less.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 16:02
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
I have found Worx to be a well made & reliable brand and would buy again.
 Petrol lawnmowers - CGNorwich
How to cut grass when the oil runs out. It does show what what an amazingly effective tool the scythe is when in the hands of a skilled user.

www.scytheconnection.com/adp/video/oil.html

Petrol lawnmowers - smokie
I'm not allowed to let my grass get quite that long...!!!
 Petrol lawnmowers - Runfer D'Hills
Just by way of a musing. Round here, most of the houses have reasonably neatly manicured front lawns ( including my own ) As far as I can see the only people who ever set foot on any of them are the ones who mow them. Now, I can sort of see the point of back garden lawns. Some people sit on them, some kick balls around on them etc. But what exactly are front lawns for ? Soon, weekends will be filled with the huffing and puffing of lawn mower operators diligently pacing up and down their little patches of suburbia, preening their little patch of green, cursing the rate at which the stuff grows before turning their attentions to removing the grime from their anonymous cars for yet another week.

Sort of weird when you give it pause for thought really.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Iffy
As an aesthete Humph, you'll appreciate those little patches of green play an important role in softening what would otherwise be a grim and grey streetscape.

Well, that's what I'd file to The Guardian.

Alernatively:

Looks nice, innit?

It stops the great unwashed from pressing their grubby noses against my windows.
Please don't misunderstand ny drivellings, I too find the general appearance of a well kept lawn at least mildly pleasing and I'm enough of a middle-aged bore to care whether mine conforms, but I do wonder why I and many others like me don't do something more creative and ultimately lower maintenance on that little space. Something involving gravel, tubs, cobbles or whatever. Chuck some Weedol on it twice a year and forget it instead of plodding up and down it every fine weekend for half the year. I wouldn't mind hosing down a replica Venus De Milo or somesuch a couple of times a season, it would seem churlish not to but the front lawn always strikes me as a futilty rather than a utility.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 18:37
 Petrol lawnmowers - CGNorwich
Most of the houses on the nearby estate have what I call Norfolk landscaping. The owners just dump a few tons of gravel out the front obliterating any exiting lawn or garden so they can park their multiple vehicles. They often add a focal point such as on old fridge or mattress to add interest. In one house I pass regularly they decided to put an old carpet over their 2 foot high grass so the kids would have somewhere to play: obviously easier than cutting the grass. That carpet is till there two years later.

I'd count yourself lucky with the neatly manicured front lawns :-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 18:29
>> preening their little patch of green

I'd have a lean time of it without some preening by proxy.

>> cursing the rate at which the stuff grows

Not me; I love growth. Imagine me shaking tomato fertiliser down me trouser legs like an extra from "The Great Escape" as I walk behind the mower.
Makes me think of that clever stuff you can put on your grass which simultaneously causes weeds to mutate, turn black and die while causing your grass to grow greener and faster. Smells of something I vaguely remember from chemistry lessons.

Wouldn't fancy pouring any down my trouser legs though. It made a devil of a mess of my Timberlands last year.
 Petrol lawnmowers - Dog
Esme front Gardin ~ www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/4496460286
Beyond is the frog & toad + neighbs
So, my front garden is a barrier betwix they and we.
Also, howse can't be viewed via Streetview :)
 Petrol lawnmowers - henry k
>>Never having owned one, I'd like some advice.

>> What should I look out for in a mower?

>> What should I avoid?

What a pity this is over budget as it would do a really really quick job.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8638080.stm

( and help Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children and Wessex Heartbeat.)
Latest Forum Posts