Non-motoring > Kindling...... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 63

Kindling...... - helicopter

SWMBO has a birthday coming up and I was thinking of buying her an Amazon Kindle reader ....

Which is best -wifi only currently £111 or wifi & 3G around £150.

Anybody on here got one and care to comment on what they think of them ?
 Kindling...... - Clk Sec
I asked a similar question here:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3788&v=f#forum_header
 Kindling...... - R.P.
Tesco sell them now - you can try before you buy as well.
Thanks Pug, I might just pop round to my local store and take a look.

It really boils down to space and anything that saves the space and weight of the latest blockbuster when travelling has got to be considered
 Kindling...... - Zero

>> It really boils down to space and anything that saves the space and weight of
>> the latest blockbuster when travelling has got to be considered

That's the only compelling reason I can see to buy one. The increased costs of buying an E-Book over a paperback book is however taking the p.
 Kindling...... - Alanovich
Kindles would be hopless for taking on the beach.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 01:04
 Kindling...... - Zero
NOt so actually. Ok they don't take too kindly to sea water, but are easily readable in sunlight.
 Kindling...... - Alanovich
Well I'd rather get sand in my 4.99 paperback than my 120 quid Kindle with 4.99 book loaded on to it. Or drop it on a rock, come to that. Or get is squished and scratched at the bottom of a the beach bad containing children's clothes, a packed lunch and various plastic beach toys.

And I'd rather be not mugged for my 4.99 paperback than be mugged for my 120 quid Kindle. Same goes for mobile phones for me. Happy with an old plodder rather than drawing attention to myself with an expensive iThingy along with tell tale white earphones.
 Kindling...... - spamcan61
>> Kindles would be hopless for taking on the beach.
>>

That's one of the main USPs of the Kindle, the 'electronic paper' display is much higehr contrast than any LCD, and works best in strong sunlight.

The downside to the Kindle IMHO is that for books that are still in copyright and hence protected by DRM then you're pretty much stuck with Amazon's store and pricing, which does in deed take the p at times - although I suppose there is VAT on downloads which won't be on the original paperback?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 01:04
 Kindling...... - Tooslow
One advantage, so I am told, is that you can read something embarrassing. No one can see a cover proclaiming what you are reading. The example given was "Mills & Boon"" :-)

John
I summary IMHO the Kindle is a very good one trick pony, huge battery life, outdoor friendly display, easy to use Amazon shop.

Downsides; useless for web browsing, locked into Amazon pretty much.

I don't see the point in the 3G version unless you have no access to WiFi or really must buy books when you're out and about.
 Kindling...... - Zero
>> One advantage, so I am told, is that you can read something embarrassing. No one
>> can see a cover proclaiming what you are reading. The example given was "Mills &
>> Boon"" :-)

Can you get Giant Hooters on amazon?

Motoring link BTW.
 Kindling...... - Tooslow
www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Boobs-Martin-Sigrist/dp/3037665556

Close enough?

John
 Kindling...... - Zero
Unavailable as an E book!
 Kindling...... - Tooslow
You implied you don't have one so what's the gripe? :-)

I look forward to reading your review on Amazon.

John
 Kindling...... - crocks
On reading the subject, and being from the land of Lud, I was immediately taken back to starting camp fires and Ging-gang-goolies.

Looks like I was on the wrong track.
 Kindling...... - Zero
It was a devious trap set by our resident Rotarian.
 Kindling...... - Fenlander
Actually getting a supply of kindling would save her going out to chop it... practical present.
 Kindling...... - Tooslow
That strikes a cord.

John
 Kindling...... - Zero
Its not going to set her world on fire.
 Kindling...... - BiggerBadderDave
BobbyG would though, given half the chance
 Kindling...... - Stuartli
Kindles are mainly a load of "balls"....
 Kindling...... - Pat
...and not a very romantic birthday present.
She will think that you now see her as too old to read a proper book.

Be warned:)

Pat
>>Be warned:)>>

Not true. I have a member of my family who loves books of all types and has bookshelves full of them.

But she was absolutely thrilled to get a Kindle as a Christmas present...:-)

By the way, to understand the reason for my comment that a Kindle is a load of "balls", scroll down to the e-Book Reader Display section in this link:

electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/travel/amazon-kindle.htm/printable
 Kindling...... - Meldrew
Bother! I thought it was Gang Bang Goolies!
 Kindling...... - Manatee
I gave Mrs Dugong a Sony PRS-650 for Christmas, which is broadly a success.

Compared with Kindle -

- both use e-paper rather than backlight

- no wifi or 3G - you need to download to a computer and transfer with a cable. We didn't see this as a problem.

- touch screen on Sony

- the PRS-650 is more expensive than a 3G Kindle.

- biggest reason to choose Sony over Kindle was to borrow (free) e- books from the county library service. Other than a cheapie to test the process, she hasn't bought a book yet. Libraries are standardising on DRM's epub format, which Kindle can't use. There are conversion programs, but you can't convert a DRM's file without (illegally) removing DRM.

Relevant article here on the last point

www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/epub-the-final-barrier-for-kindle-adoption/13804

In yesterday's Telegraph -

goo.gl/9yfJI

Kindling...... - Manatee
I should have aid both use E Ink not "e paper" - wrong terminology. But essentially the same anyway. I was concerned the the touch screen on the Sony might reduce contrast compared with Kindle , but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
 Kindling...... - Dulwich Estate
It has been said:

"I don't see the point in the 3G version unless you have no access to WiFi or really must buy books when you're out and about."

If you only want it to read books then probably correct. But as a free, yes totally free to use, black and white netbook with access to the internet abroad the 3G version is a bargain.

Check out the U Tube demonstrations.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 19:25
 Kindling...... - Dulwich Estate
Check this out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzIlYEp_kDo
From personal experience the black and white display with really really slow refresh rate is horrible for web browsing though; just about tolerable for email checking.
.......But as a free, yes totally free to use, black and white netbook with access to the internet abroad the 3G version is a bargain....

Yes , I agree Dulwich Estate and I do think 3G is a very worthwhile extra to buy as she can use it abroad , particularly on holidays .

Also currently she tends to nick my netbook at home because it is easier and quicker to fire it up on wifi than the home computer.

Thanks to others for their comments and please note Pat that the present is in addition to the romantic meal at the local Michelin starred restaurant... which if past experience is anything to go by will cost more than the Kindle.....
>>
>> Yes , I agree Dulwich Estate and I do think 3G is a very worthwhile
>> extra to buy as she can use it abroad , particularly on holidays .
>>
Fair enough, I hadn't really considered using it that way, but for the 30 quid(?) difference then that's a good deal.

Many web sites still look horrible displayed in 4 shades of grey though.
 Kindling...... - Tooslow
My wife accused me of not being romantic so I booked a table.

How was I to know she is rubbish at snooker?

John
 Kindling...... - Pat
>> please note Pat <<

I'm pleased to hear romance is not quite dead yet:)

Pat
 Kindling...... - Ian (Cape Town)
I have the PRS 300, which works a treat.
Depending on your moral compass, and with judicious use of calibre as a conversion tool, there's a fair few thousand ebooks available out there from certain sources. Ooh-aar Jim Lad.
 Kindling...... - CGNorwich
The biggest problem at the moment is the pricing of e books. Whilst many are available at reasonable costs those publishers who have adopted the "agency model" are setting the prices at which Amazon can sell. A short sighted view in my opinion since it will inevitably encourage piracy in the same way that happened to the music industry when they insisted on maintaining high prices for music.

According to this report the OFT is to investigate this practice

www.techeye.net/hardware/office-of-fair-trading-to-invesitigate-ebook-agency-model

Kindling...... - Zero
The publishers are trying to recover ground they lost through the end of the Net Book Agreement.

Like you, I feel this is foolish and gives piracy some widespread public legitimacy.
 Kindling...... - Focusless
New Kindle with wifi only available on pre-order for £89 (out 12th October).

With keyboard for £109; keyboard + free 3G for £149.

Wouldn't buy one myself, but I can see the appeal.

www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6-Ink-Display/dp/B0051QVF7A
 Kindling...... - R.P.
Wouldn't be without mine Focus - handy facet is that with Kindle apps on iPad and iPhone I carry my books everywhere now - Now I really don't need a Kindle Fire do I ?

A bonus on my "classic" Kindle is the free comprehensive web access using gprs or 3G when abroad....now that is worthwhile !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 17:32
 Kindling...... - Dog
And there is me thinking this thread was about kindling!

I'm getting it all ready now for the 31st of this month when I light the multi-fuel stove :)
 Kindling...... - Pat
So was I Dog:)

I was having happy memories of going into the coal house with a hammer and taking my anger out on the enormous lumps of coal we used to have delivered.

It was so enjoyable and such good therapy.

No rioting and fights then!

Pat
 Kindling...... - Dog
>>It was so enjoyable and such good therapy. No rioting and fights then!<<

When I had my 60 bags of Taybrite delivered a few weeks ago (at summer prices) I was amused to see the husband, wife, and daughter turn up in their truck to off-load the stuff,

The daughter couldn't have been more than about 13, but she got stuck into the bags of coal alright,

Can you imagine seeing that in the south east :)
 Kindling...... - Zero

>> The daughter couldn't have been more than about 13, but she got stuck into the
>> bags of coal alright,
>>
>> Can you imagine seeing that in the south east :)

Thankfully not
 Kindling...... - Iffy
...Thankfully not...

You don't know what you are missing.

I have a couple of open fireplaces in Iffy Towers.

They are the best type of heat, warm, but not drying, and an open fire lights up a room in the dark winter months.

Toast done on one is ten times nicer than from an electric toaster.

Building the fire and controlling its output is a knack in itself, and very satisfying when you get it right.

There's an old saying: 'Only fools can build fires.'

Not sure what that means, but I can build a good one.

Kindling...... - Dog
>>Building the fire and controlling its output is a knack in itself, and very satisfying when you get it right<<

I'm actually looking forward to the winter - dark at 5pm - multi-fuel stove a 'roaring - Milo fast asleep in front of it,

Long walks on the moor, now all the tourists have gone home!

Might even get cut off from 'civilisation' due to heavy snow fall, with any luck :)
 Kindling...... - Zero
>> ...Thankfully not...
>>
>> You don't know what you are missing.
>
I do, I am missing the 13 year old girl that humps coal is what I am missing - thankfully

Building a fire and controlling the output is a cinch. learned as a nipper under the guidance of a steam engine fireman, then driver, father.
 Kindling...... - Iffy
...Building a fire and controlling the output is a cinch. learned as a nipper under the guidance of a steam engine fireman, then driver, father...

A steam engine's fire would keep Iffy Towers toasty warm in the coldest winter.

It would also melt the grate, crack the firebricks and destroy the chimney.

My wife has one - she has impaired vision and the ability to change text size has meant that reading can still be a pleasure. I am very impressed with the device and am tempted to get one myself - handy for travelling. At £89 its a bit of a bargain. You don't really need the keyboard if you order books via your computer and losing the keyboard makes it even smaller and neater
New, smaller Kindle out soon::

www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6-Ink-Display/dp/B0051QVF7A?ref_=pe_131521_26888401
 Kindling...... - Focusless
>> New, smaller Kindle out soon::

Yes - that's why I revived this thread a few posts earlier!
They are also releasing a tablet, the Kindle Fire. Due out next month in the US and priced at USD199.

www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2011/oct/02/kindle-fire-fizz-tablet-market
 Kindling...... - Dutchie
We need one of these Kindling things.Diana has got about 300 books Mills and Boons .We just bought another unit to store her books.
 Kindling...... - bathtub tom
Dutchie. We've got a bookcase in the loft!
 Kindling...... - Zero
bonfire is the place for Mills and Boon
 Kindling...... - R.P.
as kindling ?
 Kindling...... - Dog
>>as kindling ?<<

Now there's an idea!
 Kindling...... - zippy
You cannot pass an ebook on once you have read it!
 Kindling...... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> You cannot pass an ebook on once you have read it!
>>
Oh yes you can!
A bit of cleverness involving calibre-ebook, and changing a few settings on the e-book...
 Kindling...... - Dutchie
You tell her.>:)
 Kindling...... - BobbyG
Had a quick (very quick) search on Amazon for Harry Potter for Kindle and although there are many Harry Potter associated books, I couldn't find the actual HP books.

Have they blocked them or is my searching just rubbish??
No, Rowling's books not available on Kindle - she intends, I believe to publish ebooks via her own website. Seen by some as a blow against Amazon and others as a way to make even more money
 Kindling...... - Zero
www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/03/harry-potter-ebooks-launch-delayed?newsfeed=true
 Kindling...... - franfran
Interesting to see at the moment that the thread on "Kindling" is sitting right above the one on "Timber Houses".....
 Kindling...... - Pat
That's done it:)

I'm reliving my past squatting in the back yard chopping kindling from a load of logs!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts